Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Forgive me BFC for I ate burger king yesterday.

The worst part is; eating burger king is it's own punishment. I felt like rear end the rest of the day. Today I brought beans and rice into work. Small victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
The wife and kid are out of town for 5 days. I'm gonna do my best not to destroy this month's beer budget.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I get energy drinks, instant coffee, protien bars, ramen cups, and these little lentil meal thingies from costco, and basically keep a little larder in my office.

My job involves about 5 hours of siting at a computer or a shipping table and 8 hours of sweating in a kitchen. If I don't keep the caloric intake going then I'll pretty much just collapse at the end of the day.

Also, the snacks are fair game for my employees. I can't pay them more than a poo poo wage, so if I can save my employee $3.00 on getting an energy drink at the gas station before every shift and it only costs me $.50 that's good for both of us.

I'm surprised more workplaces don't have free snacks.

E:clarity

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 10, 2014

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
A few months ago I told the wife she is going to need to stop going out for coffee and buying expensive cheese and chocolate or start bringing in a little income. She said she would do some babysitting and try to sell some baby stuff she wasn't using and we left it at that.

I was doing the budget today and found that she made two hundred bucks buying and selling cloth diapers this month. Apparently they are collectable and certain rare colors and patterns fetch a lot of money for something you poop in.

Now I just have to figure out how to get her to share that Gouda.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Happiness Commando posted:

12 days from the end of the month and my eating out budget is pretty much blown. Guess I'll have to do better next month.

I'm in the same boat. Dangerously low on the beer budget as well. Hello Steel Reserve!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Folly posted:

Our family of 4 fills up a curbside garbage can about every other week. Of course, we empty it more often than that because diapers.

Gotta go with cloth diapers. They're greener, cheaper, cuter, and not really that much trouble once you get a system down. :marc::nexus:

Speaking of food chat. Our family of three usually spends $180-$240 per month on food including eating out and beer. We could keep it lower, but I have no interest in a life without cheese and chocolate.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Bugamol posted:

That's pretty insane to be honest. On average $.66 - $0.88 per meal per person $180-$240/(30 days * 3 Meals * 3 People). I find this really hard to believe without some free food coming in (either from work or somewhere else). However I don't see it as impossible. If you love generics, always cook in bulk, and shop the discounts + coupons it's probably feasible.

It's not all that wild. Plus our kid is 2 1/2 so he doesn't eat quite as much as an adult. (although he gets close sometimes)

We basically do the following:

- Buy items like meat and cheese bulk at costco.
- keep a garden that gets about $40 worth of seed a year and produces about 25% of the veggies we eat.
- Buy vegetables, spices, noodles, and rice at the local asian market.
- Buy all dry goods and juice at big lots
- Drink mostly water
- Eat mostly vegetarian (I follow the "meat is a seasoning" philosophy)
- Shop the Sales at Publix
- very little "snack foods"
- Drink Rolling Rock

Bugamol posted:

You can't eat out very much or expensively because then the budget is impossible ($15*3*1.15) = $51.75 for one middle of the line restaurant assuming no alcohol would put you at

We haven't spent that much at a restaurant since valentine's day.

I've actually been photographing and documenting our meals over the last couple of months and if I can get the time I'd love to do a blog about meals for under a dollar a plate. It's easier than people think, and you can cook some pretty drat good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Rurutia posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, living to some absolute measure is not the only form of financial literacy.

This is a good point. We eat on the cheap, but we like the food we eat. If I really hated it and found myself happier eating more meat or whatever then I'd just spend less on other things like my cars or my house.

I think the rule of thumb is: Use your resources to maximize both your present quality of life and your quality of life in the future future.

There are a lot of principles and practices that make sense for almost everyone and there are some that really only make sense for a few penny pinching weirdos, but financial responsibility looks different for everyone.