Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Grumpwagon posted:

I'll go!

I'm very seriously considering building a fairly nice HTPC (~$1k), despite only owning a crappy 32" TV, and being totally happy watching stuff on my monitor anyway.

I'm justifying it by saying I don't have cable TV, and haven't had it for years, but it's still eating up a substantial amount of the amount I've saved by not.

It just seems like a fun project! I'd be able to stream Amazon/Netflix/Hulu, and use it as a NAS/subsonic server so I could turn my main (much more power consuming) PC off when I wasn't using it.

Don't do this. I accomplish everything you mentioned using my slim ps3 and an application called ps3 server. My roommate connected a subsonic server to it as well.

Netflix Hulu and all that crap are on there.

PS3 hard drives can be upgraded too.

Or just get chromecast for 35$ which I'm pretty sure can stream Netflix.

Also I'm sure your pc isn't consuming that much power if all it's doing is idling or playing a movie. Especially compared to running everything at full tilt in a game or photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, at the very least, I'm sure you could build a budget htpc for like 350-400 bucks. Some cheap old case, apu (gpu+pcu) and a 1tb drive (80 bucks?) would probably do you fine.

What kind of power is your normal pc kicking out when it's doing server duty?

There might be some driver issues with the ps3, but I can't recall. It isn't nearly as bad as the 360, which is a big pain in the rear end. Any standard laptop hdd will slide right into the fatty and slim ps3s. I don't know about the super slim budget one they just released though.

In other news, I really need to start using my crock pot more. Or making huge casserole dishes I can freeze for later. I hate waking up a little late then feeling like I'm wasting time making a decent meal, cause it's insane logic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
God drat I want a poptart.

I also maxed out my budget from YNAB and it's only the 19th. :negative: I don't want to shuffle savings around because I just found out I owe the tax man 800 bucks. It'll all be okay, just a minor set back.

I know that if this happened last year I'd have been absolutely fuckeddddd.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Screw that I want a tempurpedic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE RED MENACE posted:

I made the mistake of listening to Dave Ramsey's radio show this week. Also the finance related commercials on conservative talk radio are loving hilarious.

Go on....

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE RED MENACE posted:

*Yankee doodle dandy plays in the background*

Well fellow patriot, have you ever considered an all gold portfolio?

Lol fantastic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You'll have a bedroom won't you?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My problem with Mint is the delay. I swear things take a day or two to show up. Not to mention they think I owe my entire credit card balance every month. Granted, that is probably wise, but I'm not there yet.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol everytime you drive by the McDonald's your phone yells at you for committing a thought crime.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Isn't it super smoggy and junk though? I thought you were supposed to retire in Hawaii or Florida :v:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Third floor man!! You'll get residual heat from floors 1 and 2, and the vaulted ceiling will keep you from roasting in the summer.

You don't want a dog with peg legs loving above you do you?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah man, naked 3rd floor action is gonna be awesome. Just imagine it, the cool breeze tickling your balls. Gonna be heaven. If you don't do it you'll be the one to endure the loud, sweaty sex of your uninhibited upstairs neighbors.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Or a bunch of those freezing plastic chairs they use at schools.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
We have a barcade in my town, it's pretty swank. But it doesn't have a full bar, so... kind of a taste thing.

God I never thought about electricity. Old rear end machines sucking up tons of watts. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Veskit posted:

Well, even after having to drop 700 dollars on my god drat mouth getting fixed, I still have more net worth than I did last month. By 200 dollars, but still!

May will be awesome though. I get my stock 15% off that i've put away 8% of my total take home to, and less expenses to deal with now that it's summer. But I gotta budget for the steam sale :ohdear:

No don't: