Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

H110Hawk posted:

Don't overthink it, but definitely also attach it and reference it in the email. "To whom it may concern, My name is Firstname Lastname, I am writing to apply to Exact Title From Website job position. Please see my attached Cover Letter and Resume. You can contact me at Phone Number. Thank you, Firstname Lastname" Also even if it's not tailored title them both: Firstname-Lastname-Resume-Companyname.pdf, Firstname-Lastname-Cover-Letter-Companyname.pdf.

I always did both. Make it easy for them to file and also easy to read initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

But both were the same, the body of your email and the attached cover letter?

Yes. One for their review, one for their records.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I work for a utility so clocking in at ten years, I'm still the young guy. I'm not pensioned, but it'll be hard to justify leaving now that I'm in management and getting over-the-top stock grants for a company where 98% of its earnings are guaranteed.

Goal is to be retired at 50, which is 14 years away.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

^Sup utility bro? Pension plus a 401k match still going on here.

Who uses a debit card? Go with what works for you though. Seems like a solid option.

I am very jealous. I missed the pension by 2 years. However, I don't have to stay until 58 if I have the cash. I really think utilities are overlooked. If you get a decent one there's a lot of upside and very little downside. I'm in Detroit so my options for big corporate companies would be a utility or the automotive companies. gently caress the latter, they have memory that lasts 18 months. They're making the same dumb decisions they did ten years ago and it'll turn into large layoffs soon.

Re: debit cards. I've been travel hacking for years but recently moved my wife and I to debit for our routine expenses and it's really helped to keep our spending down. I'll move back to rewards cards for everything at some point but right now I think she needs the tangibility of cash/debit. Otherwise, it's SWIPE!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

DTE I assume. I spent a few years doing tower analysis for cell site additions while consulting in Jackson for DTE. Also worked at a coal plant for Consumers for a summer in college. I am over at Xcel in denver now. It is pretty good stuff. I doubt the pension will last much longer as things keep going away. But if they want to pay it out into an IRA with Vanguard I guess that is OK. If they do I doubt they will make up that money in a 401k match, just pay it out to the share holders. Still a good place to be. 40 hours only, cheap insurance, really good PTO, etc. Definitely recommend people take a look at utilities.

On the nose there.

I forgot to mention that I'm place of a pension they give me 7.5% of my salary each year in a tax deferred account that gets some nominal interest rate gain. After ten years that has grown substantially. That's without contributing a penny to my 401k which gets full match on 4% and half on the second 4%.

I'm in operations/construction and it isn't easy work by any stretch. But I'll take it over worrying if I'll have a job next week.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I just wrote a check for $27,576 to pay off one of my mortgages.

:discourse:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That's why you guys gotta get hitched when you're both young, poor, and saddled with soul crushing debt. :smug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

"Apple" called my wife the other day (from 1-800-MY-APPLE) and told her that her iCloud was logged into in another state and that they were able to shut it down but need her to reset everything from her phone. She was caught off guard at first but got wise when they said they were going to send a code and asked if she had her iPhone or iPad nearby. She told them she didn't have either and they were incredulous "how do you not have either, are you sure?!". At this point she was hip to it and killed the called and told me.

We changed the password right away. I was real proud of her as she's not techy and not really exposed to all the social hacking and such.

Sucks to hear about your fraud and hope you didn't have any losses in the end. Get a password manager and change every single password you have to a unique one and enable 2FA. If you didn't lose anything it was a close call. If you did, my goondolences.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

IntensivePorpoises posted:

I just refreshed my accounts in Quicken, and found that the day I'd been anticipating for about a year has finally come. I now have a net worth of over $1M. :dance:

Early 40's, single, no dependents. Never made 6 figures yet, though I have come close. No debt except for $15k on a year-old car worth ~$30k. A little over half is in my IRA & 401k.

Helllls yeah. Congratulations!

Don't go celebrate and buy the new iPhone or a fancy TV, you'll dip below your mark!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Register a DBA and call it gohuskies Corp.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Man, didn't expect the ten year to dip under 1%, I'm seeing 15 year rates as low as 2.7% from Friday. This may actually get me to get off my 3.625% 30-year from 2012. At 2.7% my payment only goes up $260-ish bucks and shaves 7.5 years off the loan, if I don't make overpayments.

Real exciting stuff

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I have no context for the history of 15-year mortgage rates. Is 2.75/2.875 insanely good and I'd be crazy not to lock that in today or is it just decent enough given how much the 10-year dropped (especially today, .70%s) and I should hold off a few days to let that impact hit the market?

I'm 8 years into a 30 year at 3.625% at the moment. Increase in P&I is $279 (I have budget for that) and the % of payments going to interest will decrease from 56% currently to 34%, reducing my payoff by ~8 years.

Trying to jostle myself loose that I'm being greedy holding out for 2.5 or 2.625

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

AFAIK 15 year rates haven’t gotten lower than 2.66 in the last 30 years.

Looks like 2.66 in 2012-13, and 2.76 in 2016.

I imagine at some point there's a floor where it doesn't make sense for the lender to even issue a loan as the spread is so thin. Thanks for the context!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

An article popped up in my Google news feed that said mortgage providers are showing higher rates because they don't have the personnel to meet demand. I was surprised that this many people were on the ball enough to jump on lower rates, but I suppose that it only takes a fraction of a percent of the population to overwhelm the mortgage system.

Can anyone who's seeing low rates still post the 15yr rate?

I got paperwork back last night from an application that I put in on Monday for 2.375%. However, the paperwork does NOT have it as a locked rate so I'm waiting to confirm that I received that rate before continuing. I believe 2.75-2.825% is the current market right now, if they can keep up.

Who knows what'll happen today though. I'm planning to lock in anything under 2.75% given the opportunity.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DNK posted:

Update: I’m still chilling in my index funds.

Same. Can't invest unless I dip into emergency funds and I'm trying to get as many months as possible right now. Without crazy lifestyle change we could 8-9 months right now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

You too can "FIRE" while running a website non stop for significant income!

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I have nothing against the guy, I just find the advice disingenuous (pretty much all FIRE blogs honestly). He got the getting while it was good though, so good for him.

I think if you look at the base facts it's all good. For higher-earners, don't fall into the trap of buying poo poo that you don't actually need (cheap steel for lifting rather than a $3K bowflex, etc.) and save a ton you can have more agency over your life.

It's a good message. But that doesn't invalidate your points, just that I find sifting away the crap lets me hone in on the good he has to say.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you've just posted the only thing he says that is at all useful which is "don't buy poo poo you don't need" and "especially don't buy poo poo you don't need because it's somehow ~expected~ of you"

true cost of commuting post is decent i guess. maybe it's just my job background talking but "figure out what something actually costs to do" is not at all innovative or exciting.

now that mother fucker is out there being like "bike to the hardware store with your bike trailer" which, come on man

I always viewed those things as caricatures to reinforce the point through repetition and example.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well, my roughly 60 person company decided to cut salaries rather than start reducing people, and cuts are progressive (5% for entry level and admin, 7% for next level, 10% for managers, 15% for directors, 20% for managing directors). I'm glad we are doing this rather than lay people off, and I'm in a good situation where I can take the 15% paycut without any issues. Stay safe out there and keep them emergency funds topped off.

This really is the best case scenario as we plow into what is starting to look like a deep recession. I will gladly take a cut like that and zero bonuses/stock grants next year to keep the checks keep rolling. Skip me over on the stimulus package too.

I hope that's the end of the line for you in the impacts from your company. I also hope that you work for a good company that if/when the good times come back they make up for this sacrifice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we are a pretty good place to work, all things considered

we're also deferring the salary so in theory when the economy recovers people will get that paid back at the front of the line before shareholder dividends and bonuses

Good company. Respect.

Our ceo (Fortune 250 utility) has committed to no layoffs like we did in 2008. We shall see though depending on how deep this goes. Our cfo retired this week so I'm a bit worried. They said it was long planned but why announce it now, especially since he's staying on until year end???

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

THF13 posted:

I do a couple of bank account bonuses a year. I don't do ones that require me to keep more than $1500 in the account to get it or to avoid a fee, and I avoid ones that require debit card transactions.
Unlike credit card bonuses bank account bonuses are considered interest and you will need to pay tax on them, they will get reported to the IRS and a form sent to you.

Load Amazon credit $1 a time for the number of required transactions. All set.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Speaking of reporting - is there any < non-crypto / non-darkweb tor > tool to conduct relatively anonymous online purchases?

I was thinking something like those prepaid credit cards / visa gift cards, but the customer reviews for those are brutal. Seems like a downright scam where you can’t get money off of them.

I’m thinking of like, okay so the person wants to buy something online they have an email for confirmation and there’s a P.O. Box for shipping… then a hypothetical card wouldn’t need a full name at checkout - right?

Privacy.com

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Not an ad, but an account I follow on instagram (@personalfinanceclub) started a new business centered around flat-fee fiduciary financial advisors. The sales pitch is $150/hr for financial advice "without the sales pitch".

I might give it a go in regards to getting advice on my specific situation in terms of "I'm self employed, this is our AGI and effective tax rate from 2023, should I do a Roth backdoor thing to convert my previous employer's 403b blah blah blah" as opposed to reading blanket advise on the internet trying to guess if it applies to me or not.

https://hellonectarine.com/

I'd be more comfortable pulling someone local from NAPFA (National Association of Personal Financial Advisors) than Instagram. If this person is associated with NAPFA and you like them from following their gram, then all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I'm also extremely suspect on the "we sell no products" line. This feels way too much like the beginning of a sales funnel that will eventually have someone trying to get you to buy some annuity product.

I think this is likely innocent. Coming from that industry a decade or so ago, the sale of products and misaligned incentives for advice was sooo bad, planners are super explicit of all the things that they don't do to assure people that the hourly rate covers the clients needs and not their own.

Nothing about that website/model seems off to me, however, for big areas like this I'd like to work with more credentialed and well established planners/firms. It's just all too important than to potentially get someone that has been focusing on social media marketing and a slick webpage with minimal experience working for clients as they get their start.

Don't be someone else's experience building is my point. Better to pay up (probably ~$150-200/hr anyway) and get the advice/planning you need from someone that is BORED with your situation because they solved it soo soo long ago.