Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can collapsing structures destroy floors? I didn't know that. That will definitely work. Do they have to be natural walls (i.e., cast obsidian since I need them floating over the lake) or will constructed walls still destroy floors before collapsing?

e: just watched the video about draining the ocean and, lmao. That's probably the most general solution, though it would take a long time. It does conveniently avoid the need to cast any obsidian at all though, which is a major engineering project in its own right.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Can collapsing structures destroy floors? I didn't know that. That will definitely work. Do they have to be natural walls (i.e., cast obsidian since I need them floating over the lake) or will constructed walls still destroy floors before collapsing?

Any collapse will go right through any floors until they hit a full block, all the way to the magma sea if there's nothing solid before that. You don't need to cast the thing you want to cave in, for taking out the floors a constructed floor made out of a featherwood block will work just as well as thousands of tons of heavy natural rock. The downside of using constructs is that a natural wall would fill up the hole you leave in the seabed, while a construct will just turn into a log or block or something, and litter the seafloor with both the channel you made there and the items.

I strongly recommend everyone playing around with megaprojects to read the cave-in page in the wiki, caveins are a really general tool that fix a lot of problems.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

With the release of the Steam Adventure Mode beta, I’m surprised there haven’t been more adventure mode stories written up lately.

I mean, personally I’m waiting for the full release next month to try it out, but I want stories dammit! <:mad:>

E:

This'll do, though. :allears:

Right now the only real gameplay difference between the Adventure Mode Steam beta and the latest free ASCII version is that the Steam version has most of its functionality disabled, so the novelty of graphics wears off pretty quickly. In particular the lack of the log and most map functionality makes searching for anything specific extremely difficult unless it is very nearby, which makes it hard to both find things to do and also accomplish those goals once you have them. I messed around in it for a couple hours and then set it down to wait for the full release.

During that time I did discover the fun of elephant seal men, who are large enough and strong enough to bite the heads clean off kobolds, dwarves, goblins, elves, and humans by biting the neck, which may stop being hilarious eventually but probably not for a very long time.

I did have a couple amusing experiences in testing. One run I started in the middle of an ongoing insurrection, in which it was not clear which side anyone was on and the mead hall was full of dozens of people kicking, biting, and punching each other in a chaotic melee. For some reason like half of them had books on them, which they all elected to wield and use as weapons, resulting in multiple book duels in which two people beat each other to a pulp with books until one of them eventually died. This continued for about half an hour with me just standing to the side watching, until eventually a mercenary with a halberd showed up and waded in and singlehandedly killed absolutely everyone on one side of the fight. I then went around prying every single dropped book from the owners' fingers and stuffing them in my backpack. No one tried to stop me. I took all 40 or so books to the nearest library and stuck them on the shelves, then boasted about doing so to everyone who would listen for a while, gaining a reputation as a preserver of knowledge.

The other notable experience was that, while visiting a tavern, I found an artifact amulet just...sitting on the floor. I grabbed it and put it on and then left, and later checked Legends mode and discovered that amulet was over 300 years old and had changed hands dozens of times, with many, many people dying for it over the years, multiple successful plots to steal it from one person or another, and most recently a criminal group stealing it, then storing it in that tavern. I guess they decided the best place to store it was on the ground in the front room.

Popete posted:

Is there an up to date guide on worldgen? I created a new world that I think simulated for 100 years so I could play adventure mode but just about every hillock is abandoned. I didn't mess with any of the default settings except maybe mineral availability I turned down slightly.

Almost every worldgen I've run since necromancers were added inevitably ends in an undead apocalypse if allowed to run for long enough, with necromancers absolutely everywhere, most other civilizations nearly completely depopulated, and most sites either abandoned or inhabited by very few people, with the remaining civilizations all having large populations of intelligent undead and escaped experiments. I am considering turning necromancers completely off in my next world to see what happens if they are simply not present, maybe that will result in a less empty world.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I have noticed in most of the worlds that I've made that getting just straight up zombies at your bar is pretty common. It's... weird? Maybe not exactly working as intended.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The intelligent undead still want love and booze too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
all of this theorycrafting turned out to be completely unnecessary because once I hit my first winter I realized the sea freezes over

e: it only freezes for like a week so draining it might still be easier

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 25, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

The intelligent undead still want love and booze too.

Strong alcohol helps preserve their flesh and keep it intact. Consider it self-embalming.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

all of this theorycrafting turned out to be completely unnecessary because once I hit my first winter I realized the sea freezes over

e: it only freezes for like a week so draining it might still be easier

Turn off temperature while its frozen

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Bates posted:

Right now the only real gameplay difference between the Adventure Mode Steam beta and the latest free ASCII version is that the Steam version has most of its functionality disabled, so the novelty of graphics wears off pretty quickly. In particular the lack of the log and most map functionality makes searching for anything specific extremely difficult unless it is very nearby, which makes it hard to both find things to do and also accomplish those goals once you have them. I messed around in it for a couple hours and then set it down to wait for the full release.

During that time I did discover the fun of elephant seal men, who are large enough and strong enough to bite the heads clean off kobolds, dwarves, goblins, elves, and humans by biting the neck, which may stop being hilarious eventually but probably not for a very long time.

I did have a couple amusing experiences in testing. One run I started in the middle of an ongoing insurrection, in which it was not clear which side anyone was on and the mead hall was full of dozens of people kicking, biting, and punching each other in a chaotic melee. For some reason like half of them had books on them, which they all elected to wield and use as weapons, resulting in multiple book duels in which two people beat each other to a pulp with books until one of them eventually died. This continued for about half an hour with me just standing to the side watching, until eventually a mercenary with a halberd showed up and waded in and singlehandedly killed absolutely everyone on one side of the fight. I then went around prying every single dropped book from the owners' fingers and stuffing them in my backpack. No one tried to stop me. I took all 40 or so books to the nearest library and stuck them on the shelves, then boasted about doing so to everyone who would listen for a while, gaining a reputation as a preserver of knowledge.

The other notable experience was that, while visiting a tavern, I found an artifact amulet just...sitting on the floor. I grabbed it and put it on and then left, and later checked Legends mode and discovered that amulet was over 300 years old and had changed hands dozens of times, with many, many people dying for it over the years, multiple successful plots to steal it from one person or another, and most recently a criminal group stealing it, then storing it in that tavern. I guess they decided the best place to store it was on the ground in the front room.

Almost every worldgen I've run since necromancers were added inevitably ends in an undead apocalypse if allowed to run for long enough, with necromancers absolutely everywhere, most other civilizations nearly completely depopulated, and most sites either abandoned or inhabited by very few people, with the remaining civilizations all having large populations of intelligent undead and escaped experiments. I am considering turning necromancers completely off in my next world to see what happens if they are simply not present, maybe that will result in a less empty world.
SMDH at this vitalism

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The only real use I've had for minecarts so far is quantum stockpiling of ores and rocks because you can't bin them. Other things are mostly fine because they can be moved around in bins and is only really a problem when you've got a bin with 30 lead bars.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did the water draining contraption in the video, but it didn't really work. The fundamental limitation is that while the minecarts can destroy a very large amount of water very rapidly, they can only destroy water which flows into them. The water comes in from the edges of the map much faster than it flows into the destruction chamber. Onto another plan. Turning off temperature feels kinda cheesy, but the obsidian plan should still work. Just very involves to get enough magma up to the surface. Fortunately the lake is only one Z level deep so I only need one layer of obsidian

and, upon saying that, I realize I'm an idiot and if it's only one layer I can just channel it out from above. lol

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Only one deep, you can just clear a space with pumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Being only one z-level deep massively simplifies things yeah