Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I love this game but I am so bad at it. So I usually just play Adventurer mode and have fun killing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh hey a new thread. I stopped looking at anything DF related after loving up the last LP of it but now I'm getting hat craving to play it again. When was the latest version released?

VVV There seriously hasn't been a new release since then? :confused: At least it means I don't have to update my mod but drat.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 14, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Summer '12. It's been a long time coming, but hot drat if it isn't going to be worth it.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh hey a new thread. I stopped looking at anything DF related after loving up the last LP of it but now I'm getting hat craving to play it again. When was the latest version released?

VVV There seriously hasn't been a new release since then? :confused: At least it means I don't have to update my mod but drat.

The main game hasn't been updated, but the mods/tools have been frequently updated. I suggest downloading the latest starter pack (for vanilla), or if you're feeling brave you could try the Masterwork pack. They both come with up-to-date sets of plugins etc.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apoffys posted:

The main game hasn't been updated, but the mods/tools have been frequently updated. I suggest downloading the latest starter pack (for vanilla), or if you're feeling brave you could try the Masterwork pack. They both come with up-to-date sets of plugins etc.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

I meant my own personal mod, but thanks for the links anyways.

scamtank posted:

Summer '12. It's been a long time coming, but hot drat if it isn't going to be worth it.

I don't even remember what the next version was supposed to add anymore. I think something about making adventure mode better.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even remember what the next version was supposed to add anymore. I think something about making adventure mode better.

Giant trees and fist fights.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

There's so much. Retiring fortresses without abandoning them. Cavern-farming deep dwarves, hobbit-hole hill dwarves and the inbetweener fortress dwarves. 3D trees. I need to make a comprehensive list.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 14, 2014

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I've been following Toady's devlog roughly since last fall and it seems like he's been focused on Adventurer development the vast majority of this time. I'm sure this can't be the case, but I'm having a hard time finding the new Dwarf Mode features he has in store, not including the BIG trees and climbing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Combat has different levels of seriousness from horseplay to mortal combat (fistfights might not smash skulls the first thing, siegers could lose their nerve and break after only minor scuffling), combat itself has had a minor overhaul with the separation of movement speed and action speed, multi-weapon attacks and redone reaction moments, the job priority system was rebuilt to some nebulous degree, undead can now be smooshed into pulp to prevent reanimation, new personality stuff and then some.

Just the fact that you can expect the birth and death rates of the world to tick away in the background as you do your fortress thing means a lot for the historical continuity.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I knew there was a reason to still be chomping at the bit :allears:

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
I keep convincing myself NOT to play DF anymore and then a new thread shows up... Someone saaaaave meeeeee!!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New thread! Nice OP.

My elaborate magma trap just killed three of my legendary military dwarves when they chased some goblins into the kill area.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
Today, I had eight swordsdwarves and twelve (!) war animals chase a great bull around the map in a very Benny Hill-esque fashion, with the bull stopping every now and then to gore a dwarf before running away yet again. The combat AI is not the most brilliant thing ever, sometimes. I had to DF Hack the bovine bastard to death in the end.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Internet Kraken posted:

What's your own personal mod? I'm interested in hearing what other people have done or tried to do.

I toyed with the idea of making a Morrowind Creatures mod to bring in some of the more interesting fauna of Vvardenfell, like the netches and cliffracers :argh:, but never got around to it.

I did once try to mod in a reaction that let me make blocks out of bone and meat so I could make a grisly gross tower, but that didn't work nearly as well as I hoped.

The only real modifications I played with removed the mount tokens from some of the monsters that would break pathfinding if goblins used them as mounts, such as giant cave swallows or giant toads.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 14, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Tricked me into thinking there was a new release :smith:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

duralict posted:

They can't destroy walls or things they can only access from below (like a forbidden hatch). There are also some weird quirks to diagonals that make them unable to destroy things based on placement.

Sorry for being dumb, but can they go through a natural dirt wall at the same Z level as themselves?

Like will they go through the wall from outside into the dirt doom:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

Like will they go through the wall from outside into the dirt doom:

It doesn't matter what material the wall is, they can't get through it.

If you build it from the 'b' menu, they can wreck it (with some exceptions). That means doors won't work, but a raised bridge will.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can't wait for the new release to come out and the massive mod rush and tinkering to happen. I wonder what the next Giant Mosquito will be.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Pound_Coin posted:

What will & won't building destroyers go through? trying to design defences with a drowning chamber.
If you set up two doors, two floodgates or such one after another with no gap between them, a building destroyer can technically simply smash through them, but they aren't smart enough to believe they can path through it and therefore do not try.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neurion posted:

What's your own personal mod? I'm interested in hearing what other people have done or tried to do.

I toyed with the idea of making a Morrowind Creatures mod to bring in some of the more interesting fauna of Vvardenfell, like the netches and cliffracers :argh:, but never got around to it.

I did once try to mod in a reaction that let me make blocks out of bone and meat so I could make a grisly gross tower, but that didn't work nearly as well as I hoped.

The only real modifications I played with removed the mount tokens from some of the monsters that would break pathfinding if goblins used them as mounts, such as giant cave swallows or giant toads.

When I started playing Dwarf Fortress, one of the things that bothered me was the lack of creature diversity. You usually ran into the same stuff in a biome. Plus they were for the most part all very mundane creatures, which is fine but there's no reason you can't have more fantastic ones as well in a fantasy game. So I started modding in my own creatures, some simple and some complex. I really just wanted to add some more stuff to encounter, but as I learned more I started adding creatures I would find challenging as well or were capable of doing bizzare things once I figured out the interaction system better. You could do some really crazy stuff with that. So basically, I just added a ton of creatures whenever I felt like it.

Honestly half the fun I got out of DF was modding in creatures and then seeing them in Fortress mode. I mean the only way to make a moat filled with zombie fish is to throw in zombie kraken as well.

amuayse posted:

I can't wait for the new release to come out and the massive mod rush and tinkering to happen. I wonder what the next Giant Mosquito will be.

That reminds me, did Toady ever tweak the resurrection rates in evil biomes? I remember trying to do anything in an evil biome was impossible because body parts reanimated so quickly and interrupted what your dwarves were doing. You kill an elephant, the dwwarves freak out. Then the elephant's corpse gets up and the dwarves freak out again. You kill the undead elephant, but then the legs you chopped off start hopping around and the dwarves still freak out. Also the rest of the elephant gets back up while you were killing the legs.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 14, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

That reminds me, did Toady ever tweak the resurrection rates in evil biomes? I remember trying to do anything in an evil biome was impossible because body parts reanimated so quickly and interrupted what your dwarves were doing. You kill an elephant, the dwwarves freak out. Then the elephant's corpse gets up and the dwarves freak out again. You kill the undead elephant, but then the legs you chopped off start hopping around and the dwarves still freak out. Also the rest of the elephant gets back up while you were killing the legs.

Haha, oh no. There's exactly one setting for the intermittent interactions, WEEKLY.

The fix in the coming version is tissue pulping - once something takes enough mangling, it's too damaged to reanimate anymore.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I understand the ascii purists, but most people play with tiles at this point. If the OP is intended to be a recruiting tool to advertise the game, how about mixing in some actual graphics?

I am a big dwarf fortress fan but lets be real, most people don't like ascii, it is a turn off.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Diogines posted:

I understand the ascii purists, but most people play with tiles at this point. If the OP is intended to be a recruiting tool to advertise the game, how about mixing in some actual graphics?

I am a big dwarf fortress fan but lets be real, most people don't like ascii, it is a turn off.

There is no DF tileset less ugly than the ASCII though, every single one is atrocious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I genuinely think ASCII looks better than every tileset just because the tilesets look cluttered and messy. When I first downloaded DF with a tileset I still couldn't tell what the gently caress was going on, its a confusing mess no matter what. I think the OP should represent what the game usually looks like, which is ASCII.

EDIT: I forgot how ridiculous the name generation in this game could get.

A name that is sure to inspire fear in peasants everywhere.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 14, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I prefer ascii too. It's going to be ugly. Better have it go full-on ugly and abstract than play dress up with RPG graphics from 1992.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't hurt to link to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Graphics_set_repository at least, so people can see that there are options available.

There's tilesets that are just the ASCII graphics but 10x10 or 12x12 for example.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

A fresh Dwarf Fortress thread? Oh boy, he must have released the latest

scamtank posted:

Is it out yet?

No, it's still not out yet.

:(

scamtank posted:

Is this poo poo seriously all text? My head hurts already.

At its core, yes. It’s a top-down perspective, with only one plane on the Z-axis visible at a time. If the ASCII burns your eyes, there’s plenty of options from picking a softer color scheme to altering most of the tileset into custom graphics. The installation is a fairly simple process, but the Lazy Newb Pack streamlines a lot of it. Skip to the Modding section for details.

The very busy and very filthy dwarf fortress of Kilrudzat, presented in both basic ASCII and the latest Phoebus tileset.
Can you find the silk robe soaking in puke?

As a lover of the ASCII tileset, all that white seriously hurts my eyes. Do I have to dive into the raws and change a bunch of stuff if I want it to be darker, or should I be a baby and just go for the 'art' version?

Visually I can understand what all the ASCII symbols mean (except the pink beds, wtf? Did you chop trees in an underground cave or something?) but while I appreciate difficulty I don't like having my retinas burned out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dreggon posted:

As a lover of the ASCII tileset, all that white seriously hurts my eyes. Do I have to dive into the raws and change a bunch of stuff if I want it to be darker, or should I be a baby and just go for the 'art' version?

Visually I can understand what all the ASCII symbols mean (except the pink beds, wtf? Did you chop trees in an underground cave or something?) but while I appreciate difficulty I don't like having my retinas burned out.

I'm certain you can edit something in the raws to make the white darker, but I can't remember what at the moment. Those beds are just made from tunnel tubes, which are pink.

Gaudy forts are the best forts though :shepface:

I wish there was something that came in that horrid bright green color in the maingame so I could build a fort out of it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 14, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
To change the colors, go to data>init>colors.txt. At the bottom are
pre:
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
[WHITE_B:255]
so you can change the RGB value there to make the color something you find more appealing.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
ASCII really is the best way to convey detailed information at a glance. I agree that engraved wall/floors look extremely garish in bright colors though. That white is definitely painful but I still prefer it to any tile set. I wouldn't replace the alphabet with pictographs, that would make spelling difficult as poo poo.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

subhelios posted:

I love this game but I am so bad at it. So I usually just play Adventurer mode and have fun killing stuff.

Adventure mode is totally underappreciated. It has the best combat of any roguelike I've played, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's like Twister, only incredibly brutal.

*You grab the left molar with your right pinkie.*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Caufman posted:

Adventure mode is totally underappreciated. It has the best combat of any roguelike I've played, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Last time I played adventure mode, it was a pretty memorable experience. After gutting several night beasts hiding in their holes, I wad finally getting respect from the locals. So I visit the capital, and suddenly I see fireballs flying everywhere and a bunch of explosions coming out of a building. Turns out there was a cultist uprising or something, I wasn't able to figure out exactly what was going on. Town is descending into chaos, so I try to help out but apparently the first guy I stabbed wasn't actually a cultist and I ended up pissing off everyone. Having burned up all my good graces, I was forced to flee from that civilization. I crossed over an entire mountain range to find a new place to be a hero again.

Well eventually I did get to a new town, ruled by a demon frog king. Said demon frog king tells me to go slay a kraken. A kraken that lives on a glacier miles away, which I have to hike over by foot. Along the way, I get in a fight with some nagas and one gets in a lucky hit that cripples my leg. So now I'm slow and can't dodge anything, effectively making my career as an adventurer over. Rather than dieing to the kraken or some other monster lurking on the glacier, I just limped back to town and retired in defeat.

That was pretty fun, but there's a big problem; it took ages for that to happen. So much time in adventure mode is spent running through empty wilderness or stumbling through town trying to find someone giving out quests. The only goals you ever get are too slay monsters, and there really isn't any depth to the mode. The combat system is ridiculously deep but there's basically nothing to do so I can't stay interested.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Don't worry! As soon as the next update comes along, there will be so much more to see and do and... :suicide:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'll take all this tileset chat as an excuse to plug my current favorite. The clean lines and smooth colors of SpaceFox:

Military training with pack of war drakes

Were-lizards murdering all of those soldiers

Desert open-pit fortress ShieldFence

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Graphics could potentially be better than pure ASCII someday, but the support is incomplete as it is. How are you going to reconcile the line break symbol representing a mug, a tree, a cloud and a city into a single image? Some important screens don't support TrueType at all, how are you going to read those? Until you can make sure that normal text and other abstract pictographs don't turn into confusing mush, tilesets like that are just gimmicks among the rest.

I'm also with Kraken in that I learned to play with the roguelike squiggles and now using something like Phoebus is a struggle. If I can't see the punctuation marks that mark the tile grid, my eyes just glaze over. The intricate tiles for different creatures are pretty in previews, but they are difficult to distinguish from each other unless you blow up the tilesheet to something ridiculous like 40x40. Everybody's used to something different.

The OP is patently lacking with graphical tweaking info, though. I must get on that.

e: ps taffer's stuff is the best at everything

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 14, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

For the most basic of graphics mods, this is a square version of the default tileset without the stretching issues.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Caufman posted:

Its amusing but if you actually think it has the best combat in any roguelike I suggest you try sil or something.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

For everyone that likes the ASCII but would like a different color set, the Wiki has instructions and some premade sets to choose from

E: Oh and the same with ASCII tile sets

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure how up to date it is, but it should have everything up to a month or two ago at the worst.

Dwarf Fortress Fan-Compiled Changelog