Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
Has anyone made like some screenshot guide for dealing with aquafiers? I was trying to follow the wiki but they had some sideways view and I couldn't wrap my head around it, and I felt my pumping was less than efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Okimin posted:

Has anyone made like some screenshot guide for dealing with aquafiers? I was trying to follow the wiki but they had some sideways view and I couldn't wrap my head around it, and I felt my pumping was less than efficient.

I figured most people just turn them off. I could be wrong, but they seem like a challenge that gets in the way for no real payoff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're super duper neat for outdoor wells and flood control, but that's about it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish there was something that came in that horrid bright green color in the maingame so I could build a fort out of it.

I think there's some kind of fairly useless ore that's bright green. Garnierite, I think. Also, Olivine is dark green.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How about vomit?

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Bad Munki posted:

How about dwarven varnish?

Fixed

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I used to swear by ASCII then I actually used a tile set and realised how much better they are than squiggles and dashes.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Okimin posted:

Aquifers are great to have around, and people who turn them off are elf-sympathisers with no vision for the malevolent magnificence that is the Inland Tsunami Generator, plus an aquifer is a great thing to have to make infinite indoor power batteries with waterwheels.

Anyway, here's your fifteen minute guide to breaching an aquifer:

When embarking on an aquifer, I bring 5 stone with me. This is because I hate using pumps for this. Too much time and effort, so I use a collapse. You only really need 3, but if there's a second aquifer layer (I haven't seen it in 0.31.xx but it happened in 40d fairly frequently)

Here we are with my exploratory shaft, and branching off from that is my initial designation for my drop.

Here we are with everything dug out, and the support installed. Since I didn't have much room to work with to get my nice solid plug of earth, I built a scaffold to hang the plug off by a support.

And here we are, with me punching through to the hematite and dolomite below. You see how I have stayed away from the edge of where the plug was dropped in my digging so that I do not open space next to aquifer ground. Also, now you know why I used a plug that size: So I could get a wagon down through it.

The corner channels are where I dug drains to remove the excess water.

Building and performing this took me 20 game days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LostCosmonaut posted:

I think there's some kind of fairly useless ore that's bright green. Garnierite, I think. Also, Olivine is dark green.

Yeah but garnierite is really rare. I just added a tree to the crypt cavern layer that came in bright green. I figured since tunnel tubes are bright pink there could be horrid lime green trees down there as well.

Bad Munki posted:

How about vomit?

I'm still waiting for the version that will let us make moats out of nonwater liquids.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel

you rock man, thanks!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I turned off aquifers and never feel the need to turn them back on. It just sucks to have to tediously build penetration points, which tend to act like bottlenecks. Besides in real life I don't think that when you dig at a certain depth you are suddenly flooded with water until you drown.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You mean you don't constantly drown in real life when you dig a small hole?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AXE COP posted:

I used to swear by ASCII then I actually used a tile set and realised how much better they are than squiggles and dashes.

I really like tilesets for terrain and objects, but I have yet to find one that makes creatures visually distinctive enough to make me happy. I spend a lot of time [v]ing over things to find out what they are.

Really, what I want is a tileset that replaces all terrain and objects and leaves creatures alone, but AIUI the tileset support we have only permits the opposite of that: you can specify custom tiles for creatures on an individual basis but for objects and terrain you need to edit the character map.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

You mean you don't constantly drown in real life when you dig a small hole?

You end up in China in real life if you do that. Everybody knows that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

North Korea. It's HFS.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

AXE COP posted:

I haven't played in forever but DF permanently altered my brain and ASCII is all I can imagine. However, I should try a tileset sometime when I have time to load up DF again.

It's been a year at least since I played, so I should really start up a fort sometime soon.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is there any disadvantage to disabling aquifers besides not getting to build awesome water-powered machines? I'd like to generate a world where I have more than a dozen viable (and reasonable safe) embark locations. Can I use rivers/streams for said machines?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mr. why posted:

Is there any disadvantage to disabling aquifers besides not getting to build awesome water-powered machines? I'd like to generate a world where I have more than a dozen viable (and reasonable safe) embark locations. Can I use rivers/streams for said machines?

Yes, you can use lakes, rivers, or cavern water for machines. Your dudes can even fill a custom built cistern using buckets for your impossible free energy machine. It's not hard, it is just slightly easier with an aquifer.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

If you spend a little time searching, you can usually find an embark location where two biomes meet - one with aquifer and one without, so only part of your map will have an aquifer. This will allow you to have a safe area for digging down as well as access to an aquifer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Be careful if you mess around with infinite water sources though. I once had a fort where my dwarves kept leaping into the ocean to fight skeletal bluefish, so I tried building a swimming chamber to train them. I messed up and ended up causing the entire ocean to start flooding into the roads leading down to the mines and caverns. Dozens of dwarves were swept away, crushed against the stone walls and floors as water pushed them along. Others ran into dead ends only to slowly drown. More importantly, my FPS went to poo poo since the game had to keep tracking all that flowing water!

I couldn't figure out a way to fix it without cheating either. My best plan was to carve out a huge chamber beneath the one tile entrance to the ocean, in hopes that the water would flood into it long enough for a dwarf to block off the entrance. It didn't work, so I ended up having to spawn obsidian blocking the entrance.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I have absolutely lucked out with my most recent adventurer by spawning in the middle of a wicked mist cloud and immediately becoming a wicked mist thrall. I then proceeded to wander from town to town, repeatedly biting people and wrestling with them long enough to transfer some of my eerie soot coating to them. Unfortunately creatures who were hostile to me before becoming thralls still were hostile, but they were easily distracted by their former neighbors.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Carsius posted:

I figured most people just turn them off. I could be wrong, but they seem like a challenge that gets in the way for no real payoff.

Since we're never going to see stuff like cofferdams and pressurized sealed piping, that is the only right answer.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Since we're never going to see stuff like cofferdams and pressurized sealed piping, that is the only right answer.

Breaching an aquifer correctly is also one of the many rites of passage for any Urist McPlayer.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, people. I've been delving into Urist Da Vinci's momentum equations and I came up with something interesting. Try reducing the MAX_EDGE of all terrestrial metals from 10,000 to 2500.

Sharpness as an inorganic material attribute is nothing but a multiplier that determines how much momentum it takes to cut through poo poo. From my very short experiments with iron and bronze blades, it makes combat much less black-and-white and immediately decisive. Instead of every stab and swing either boinking off a superior metal or instantly cleaving through to the core unhindered, there's a variety of slashes cutting into the torso but stopping before the liver, chain mail turning lethal hits into bruises and swings to the head actually performing decapitations instead of the first hit immediately destroying the brain.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I restated a new fort near a Tower, this time outside of a Haunted area. I was just going about my business building a curtain wall, and then another, and then an extention when suddenly a Human Hunter Necromancer appeared in the doorway and walked inside.

Everyone panicked, except for the dogs which viciously attacked him. I didn't even realize this was happening until teeth exploded out all over the entryway.

Well anyway, he died, does this mean the necromancer threat is now over? Just like that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Hey, people. I've been delving into Urist Da Vinci's momentum equations and I came up with something interesting. Try reducing the MAX_EDGE of all terrestrial metals from 10,000 to 2500.

Sharpness as an inorganic material attribute is nothing but a multiplier that determines how much momentum it takes to cut through poo poo. From my very short experiments with iron and bronze blades, it makes combat much less black-and-white and immediately decisive. Instead of every stab and swing either boinking off a superior metal or instantly cleaving through to the core unhindered, there's a variety of slashes cutting into the torso but stopping before the liver, chain mail turning lethal hits into bruises and swings to the head actually performing decapitations instead of the first hit immediately destroying the brain.

I wish Toady would, say, outright publish the equations used to determine a lot of these interactions, so that people could more readily fine-tune his numbers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I wish Toady would, say, outright publish the equations used to determine a lot of these interactions, so that people could more readily fine-tune his numbers.

I suspect he threw the envelope on the back of which he did these equations (in crayon) away years ago. Dwarf Fortress does not likely have an updated functional spec.

e. Just to elaborate a little: the impression I have, based on doing some light modding and on reading about other people's experiments, is that Toady One's methodology when creating RAWs is first to look up some statistics about a material, element, mineral, animal, or whatever on the Internet for five to fifteen minutes, and then "convert" whatever real-world values he happens to come across first to his in-game units. Then, he may do a minimal amount of testing (in adventurer mode) as a sanity test just to see if it actually breaks the game.

If it doesn't blatantly break the game, he wipes his hands on his pants and is done.

Lepermod includes a lot of changes from Scamtank which adjust body plans and materials properties based on detailed testing, trying to get better results in combat... but in many cases I think it just becomes impossible to get good results in one area without causing bad results in some other area, because the code that performs interactions has never been reconciled with the data used to define materials and objects.

We need to also remember that formerly, combat was some kind of hitpoints-based thing, which Toady massively and rapidly converted to materials-properties interactions in (I think it was) DF2010. DF2012 did not tweak them much.

So... while Toady could probably publish his code (which he will never do), I'm extremely doubtful that there's any kind of reference other than the code itself he would have available that would comprehensively explain the algorithms of DF interactions, particularly in combat.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 15, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I doubt it even has an outdated spec. It's nice to dream, though.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

FrozenDorf posted:

Breaching an aquifer correctly is also one of the many rites of passage for any Urist McPlayer.

After 8 years, I got the license to be cranky.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

So... while Toady could probably publish his code (which he will never do), I'm extremely doubtful that there's any kind of reference other than the code itself he would have available that would comprehensively explain the algorithms of DF interactions, particularly in combat.

It'll be great when Toady dies of natural causes in 32 years and the source code is released. 40 years of dwarf spaghetti code for spergs to pore over and try to decode.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

It'll be great when Toady dies of natural causes in 32 years and the source code is released. 40 years of dwarf spaghetti code for spergs to pore over and try to decode.

Someone will be mysteriously compelled to engrave all of it onto a giant obsidian monolith that will find it's way into the quad at MIT. The first full moon after that it will split apart revealing a 90 mouthed, 400 tentacled demon made of sinew and superheated steam and Cthulhu will wake from his slumber.

Bullstuff
Apr 1, 2007
My finger smells funny. :(
I remember when I first tried to set up magma forges and poo poo. I had a volcano and could just tap into the side where I wanted instead of building them way deep or having to pump magma up. I spent a long time doing it because I was stupid and dug a long channel which I then covered with floors. Well I didn't know back then that liquids flow diagonally and ended up with magma crawling down my channel which was still open for the work.

Well I didn't panic. It was a long way for it to slowly crawl before condemning me, so I ordered the area sealed and decided to try again. But before they could wall poo poo up, I see a cat run into the channel and dive headlong into the oncoming wall of slow-moving death.

I was perplexed and amused, but not alarmed about a stupid cat. At least I wasn't alarmed until I got the message that my legendary wrestler (I was jumping straight to magma stuff so I hadn't made equipment for warriors) was throwing a tantrum. This fellow loved his roving gang of cats, one of which was the magma-diver. He was in my meeting hall and promptly started to strangle and break everybody and everything. So yeah. I got a tantrum spiral out of the handful of guys Urist Hogan had killed which ended with a broken and depopulated fort.

All because of one loving cat. God I love DF. Time to start playing again. At least I don't suck so bad anymore.

Bullstuff fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 15, 2014

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I gave my soldiers leather hoods in addition to their steel helms, and all that seems to happen is they get their brains pulped through their x+jaguar leather hoods+x. I notice the same thing with cloaks as well.

Is it a bug (i.e. the metal armour is being ignored) or does the combat info only show the last layer to be penetrated?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As far as I know hits to the skull are instant kills in the current build.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure the combat info just shows the last layer to be penetrated.

I have had dwarves survive with a bruised outer brain and broken skull, not often but it happens.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah I've had the odd dwarf survive head injuries too. My concern was just whether or not leather armour layers (or other clothing items) were interfering with metal ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my experience dwarves are super finicky when it comes to equipment and will randomly take parts off if you mess with it, so are you sure they just didn't ditch the helmets for hoods? Even if they can wear both at the same time, dwarves are stupid and will throw away gear all the time. One of the things that really annoys me about this game, since trying to get a properly equipped army is a huge pain.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So I hadn't played for awhile and was just reminded why tunnelling straight to cave 3 is a bad idea.

Holy smoke the difference between a recruit and a proficient swordsdwarf is huge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Yeah I've had the odd dwarf survive head injuries too. My concern was just whether or not leather armour layers (or other clothing items) were interfering with metal ones.

(v)iew a dwarf, and then hit (i) to see their equipment, and then scroll if necessary to the second page. You can see if they're wearing both their leather hood and a metal helm, or just the hood.

If they're refusing to equip what you want based on their general uniform, you can always individually assign specific items to them, which tends to force them to go equip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mmm tallow