Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know if its better, but I think mithril is basically adamantium light? As good as steel but not as heavy?

EDIT: Typo, yes even after 5 hours I will fix this typo.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh my god how did I never notice this

The [R]ooms listing lets you see who designed and built all the architecture-intensive things. I thought it was all just placeholders and pointless twaddling with the useless minimap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Is there any material added by the masterwork mod that is better than adamantine for the purpose of making weapons/armor?

Mithril is about as good as steel and lighter, orichalcum is similar to adamantine but not as good. There's still nothing better than adamantine.

Orichalcum is easy to get though, just smelt a bunch of stuff. Any smelting reaction (except for melting items I think) has about a 1% chance to also produce an orichalcum bar.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of my dwarves is married at 12 years old, and has a 4 year old daughter, with 4 children total. I really, really hope this is a bug due to me using a short world history, or possibly something wrong with masterwork.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure it's Masterwork; it reduces the amount of time it takes for dwarves to mature to adulthood because some people were tired of kids mucking about doing nothing for years on end I think.

You can change it by going into the raws and editing the time it takes to mature under the Dwarf entity but I think you'd need to gen a new world.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 19, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Maturation age is a creature property, not an entity property, isn't it? In which case it'd take effect immediately once you change it. (though probably it wouldn't de-age 14 year old adults or whatever)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there an (easy, not much of a modder) way to ensure you don't get completely broken megabeasts in a short amount of time, or ever?

I'm doing extremely well in masterwork, but often, at some point a building-destroying, fire-breathing Red Dragon/Titanium Colossus, whatever show up and kill everybody. Setting number of beasts and natural world savagery to low doesn't seem to prevent the chance of it happening.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tias posted:

Is there an (easy, not much of a modder) way to ensure you don't get completely broken megabeasts in a short amount of time, or ever?

I'm doing extremely well in masterwork, but often, at some point a building-destroying, fire-breathing Red Dragon/Titanium Colossus, whatever show up and kill everybody. Setting number of beasts and natural world savagery to low doesn't seem to prevent the chance of it happening.

No you see, having a building destroying fire breathing red dragon colossus gently caress up your stuff IS doing extremely well at dwarf fortress.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tias posted:

What about the times when the Salt Titan turns up at your door? Those are the times that people sing about - when a monster that has killed hundreds in world gen gets into the real game and comes apart when a crossbow dwarf hits him with his bow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tias posted:

Before you generate your world, look in the init folder for worldgen.txt.

These are the entries you care about :
code:
	[MEGABEAST_CAP:75]
	[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:150]
	[TITAN_NUMBER:33]
You can either edit one of the default worldgen profiles, or copy/paste one and rename it to make your own. The numbers above determine how many of each type of critter get created at the beginning of the world, so you can just set TITAN_NUMBER: to 0 if you want there to be no titans.

This is for vanilla, by the way; I have no idea if/how masterwork uses or changes those numbers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The megabeast invasion criteria are determined on a per-creature basis, though. Changing those would require wading into the sticky mess that's MW raws.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Today's fun event: a human siege. I guess I mustve done something to piss them off, though i don't remember. They came riding in on the backs of camels while my army was dealing with a cave crocodile infestation, i pulled up the drawbridge just in time.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I really wish catapults worked more like catapults, the whole z-level thing makes them so drat useless.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stonklol:

This is going to be an interesting fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

The megabeast invasion criteria are determined on a per-creature basis, though. Changing those would require wading into the sticky mess that's MW raws.

Specifically, this the raw token that deals with Megabeast attacks in Fortress mode.

[ATTACK_TRIGGER:X:Y:Z]

X is the population requirement of the fort, Y is the exported wealth, and Z is the created wealth. I don't actually know if the wealth requirements matter at all, I've only ever paid attention to the population one. As an example, here's the default for the hardest vanilla megabeasts;

[ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:10000:100000]

They won't attack unless 80 dwarves or more live in the fort. It shouldn't be too hard to change the attack trigger in the MW mod to something reasonable, though I've never used that mod myself.

Wow and I thought some of my custom creatures had too many :words: in the description.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

That is loving :black101: as hell

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Fortunately for you the massed vermin material has very low shear strength and high plasticity (although edge sharpness is randomly chosen each worldgen, like with glass), so you're probably fine.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Two paragraph devlogs are usually good news.

Toady One posted:

Site riling now includes little groups that try to track you down after the rumor has gotten around that you've done something bad. As part of finishing that up, I also handled some older promises I had written down regarding smell and low-light vision. The wind is involved, and creatures with a keen sense of smell, including elven adventurers, can detect creatures nearby in the proper windy direction. There's no blood-houndy types of scent trails yet (though there are the other kinds of trails). Animated corpses can be smelled even by humans if the wind is right, though there's a whole set of ambient smells that are not in the game yet and won't be this time.

In terms of these finalizations I've been doing, there are six left. Doing a test run with a dwarven adventurer from depot to depot through a tunnel, the liaison commenting on the world situation in dwarf mode, that information screen I mentioned in the FotF thread not too long ago, the plant list, some checks with guards/intruder and some sort of nod to vampires/gods ruling civilizations (since it gets stranger and stranger for them to be there without any comment at all). Then we'll have a steaming pile of game that needs to be debugged and otherwise made playable.

And so it was!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

scamtank posted:

A Steaming Pile of Game

I don't know if you've held off on a thread title for any particular reason scamtank, but I feel like it can't get much better than this

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

That's outrageous. Metal bands wish they could come up with a giant winged four-armed plague lich with snakes for flesh that's covered in scorpions to put on album covers.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe it'll get clawed by a stray kitten and die.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

scamtank posted:

Two paragraph devlogs are usually good news.

And so it was!

drat, that Dev list is getting short. Maybe only ten more years until release, if we're lucky!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

That's outrageous. Metal bands wish they could come up with a giant winged four-armed plague lich with snakes for flesh that's covered in scorpions to put on album covers.

Metal bands have paid thousands for metal ideas for metal covers, and instead they should just be playing this game. But :drat: that is the best one yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How I've missed the feeling of being completely baffled by Dwarf AI.

That's my carpenter drowning in a lake. How did this happen? Well the map is divided by a river and I accidentally designated some trees to be cut on the wrong side. You'd think the dwarf would just say they cant reach those trees, but my carpenter thought otherwise. I can only assume she tried to swim across the river to reach the trees. The river happens to have a very strong current since the fort is located right next to a scenic waterfall. So of course she ends up getting swept away, falls 6 Z levels into the lake, and is now completely hosed.

More importantly, she took the only axe down with her! :argh:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not getting my hopes up anymore, I remember when people thought we'd see a release around Christmas.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The water level right at the edge of the fall constantly teeters around the depth where dwarves think it'll be safe to cross. The fix is to make a bridge, preferably right around where the idiots would try crossing anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

More importantly, she took the only axe down with her! :argh:

Ehh, you can always make a wooden training axe (from the logs from deconstructing your embark wagon, if you have to) in order to bootstrap your lumber industry again.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's my carpenter drowning in a lake.
I just had a similar experience.
  • Diplomat from the human civilization arrives. No big deal; I'll just lower the drawbridge...
  • Diplomat is a marmot demon with noxious secretions; marked as a Deity. No big deal; I've seen those impostors before. They're usually harmless.
  • Before I can lower the drawbridge, diplomat happily swims through the magma-filled moat and enters the fortress. Oooooookaaaaay.
  • Diplomat meets with the Duke.
  • Diplomat wades back out through the magma moat.
  • Diplomat hops into the nearby volcano. Apparently he has decided to exit the map by following a complex route through the magma sea and caverns (even though he entered via the surface, and I haven't even discovered the caverns yet).
  • Diplomat swims around inside the volcano for a few months, about 10 z-levels below the surface. Doesn't really go anywhere or do anything.
  • Diplomat apparently gets frustrated by his inability to leave the map and goes berserk.
  • Crossbow squad is placed on high alert. This guy can breathe magma and he secretes poison; I'm going to avoid getting to grips with him if possible.
  • Diplomat continues to float about. Berserk status apparently uses a "kill on sight" policy - since the diplomat can't actually see anyone, he's happy to just hang out in his volcano.
  • Overall, "settling down in a nice volcano and maybe emerging to slaughter the nearby dwarves" seems like a much more appropriate fate for a demon than "performing diplomacy for a bunch of humans." I decide to simply leave him there. Perhaps he can adopt one of the local Fire Imps as a pet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's awesome. Build a floor over the volcano so he doesn't have to deal with any more outsiders.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, you can always make a wooden training axe (from the logs from deconstructing your embark wagon, if you have to) in order to bootstrap your lumber industry again.

This would be a good idea if it weren't for the huge fire that burnt all my wood to ash.

Humans letting demons becomes leaders and diplomats has always been hilarious to me. I can see why they chose that demon though, seems like a really chill guy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 20, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

This would be a good idea if it weren't for the huge fire that burnt all my wood to ash.

Humans letting demons becomes leaders and diplomats has always been hilarious to me. I can see why they chose that demon though, seems like a really chill guy.

And you've already deconstructed your wagon? Umm...got any workshops or walls or anything made of wood?

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

GulMadred posted:

Overall, "settling down in a nice volcano and maybe emerging to slaughter the nearby dwarves" seems like a much more appropriate fate for a demon than "performing diplomacy for a bunch of humans." I decide to simply leave him there. Perhaps he can adopt one of the local Fire Imps as a pet.
Similar story! This fort's using an older version of Genesis. Pillarskulls is a nice wealthy fort nearing a decade old. As long as you don't get drafted you'll live pretty comfortably.

There's all these creepy memorials lining the halls, though.

There's at least two dozen of these.
Early in the fort's history an iron titan (think bronze colossus) named Cometes showed up. At the time we hadn't found any iron or anything harder on the map to fight him with so the drawbridge went up. Cometes parked himself right outside and sat there for the next couple years, tearing up migrant waves, caravans, and the occasional goblin squad. At some point he wrestled a cotton bag away from a thief and started clubbing people's heads in with it. I like to think he was scooping them up in it to eat later.
Eventually I got sick of all the migrants getting slaughtered and assembled the whole military near the main drawbridge to take him on.

Worth noting that the drawbridge is right over a volcano. Also at the time the walls around the outside hadn't been constructed yet.
The plan was to toggle the lever fast enough to open it right out from under the titan but he was big enough that it couldn't open with him on it. There was a pretty messy fight (there's at least 5 slabs for people who went missing that year) but the dwarves eventually forced him off the bridge.

Iron is magma-safe, though, so he's been chilling down there for years. His bag burned up so I can't check it but I'm pretty sure it had at least 30 kills. I'm hoping once the fort dies or is abandoned he'll claw his way up out of there and I can go get killed by him in adventure mode.

Bonus shot of the vampire monarch sealed up in his throne room:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Has anyone actually had automatons survive world gen in masterwork? Or do they not appear in the civ screen? I don't think I've ever seen them show up on there.

Also necromancer fortress is pretty awesome. Finally I can have a bunch of pointless drones endlessly toil without them demanding things like food and drinks as they make the lives better of a select few.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So after finally outfitting my militia with the gear I wanted them to have (all it took was stripping them completely naked and then having them ONLY equip the uniform), I am running into a few issues.

I have fortifications overlooking the entrance of my base, but when I station my units on the inside near them they don't shoot out from it. I thought to put the station marker right flush with the wall, but then some of my units go outside, which isn't the point.

I am ending up with more then a few broken bones each fight. They're all kitted out with masterwork iron armor, could it be because they aren't wearing any clothing under the armor and therefore the blows aren't being padded?

I can't get a unit to wear an artifact helmet, even when I have that individual set to equip that specific helmet, exact match. :(

And finally, my Marksman have "going to archery training" or whatever message and then they just kinda sit around not doing anything, often not even near the targets. I found setting them to Inactive helps, but that has problems of it's own.

I remember quitting this game years ago when the first big changes to military were enacted, like with the Arsenal Dwarf and stuff. I find it much more manageable now, but still, some parts of this game are just arcane. And yet I love it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Makaris posted:

I have fortifications overlooking the entrance of my base, but when I station my units on the inside near them they don't shoot out from it. I thought to put the station marker right flush with the wall, but then some of my units go outside, which isn't the point.

I am ending up with more then a few broken bones each fight. They're all kitted out with masterwork iron armor, could it be because they aren't wearing any clothing under the armor and therefore the blows aren't being padded?

I can't get a unit to wear an artifact helmet, even when I have that individual set to equip that specific helmet, exact match. :(

And finally, my Marksman have "going to archery training" or whatever message and then they just kinda sit around not doing anything, often not even near the targets. I found setting them to Inactive helps, but that has problems of it's own.

I remember quitting this game years ago when the first big changes to military were enacted, like with the Arsenal Dwarf and stuff. I find it much more manageable now, but still, some parts of this game are just arcane. And yet I love it.

You do need to be right next to an arrow slit to shoot through it. The station orders being a bit vague don't help at all, I know.

Is it chain mail? All chain really does is blunt animal bites and turn dismemberment into broken bones instead. Unless you screw with the metals themselves, "padding" doesn't really exist as a concept. All you can do is forge plate mail with superior metallurgy and cross your fingers.

You've set your archers to [T]rain at the archery range. Did remember to set them to train in a normal barracks, too?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
They're wearing iron mail under an iron breastplate. Also Greaves, Gauntlets, High Boots and a Helm.

And yeah I've tried various combinations of where they're training, swapping around the direction they should be shooting from, making sure I've got like a thousand+ bolts. If they are set to train in a barracks they end up doing that mostly, if it's just the archery range then i got the 'going to archery training' thing. Don't think their is much more I can do to get them to just train D:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dead horse posted:

Bonus shot of the vampire monarch sealed up in his throne room:

Vampires are weird. I tried to make an example of some vampires in one of my forts by coming up twisted punishments for them. The first one I shoved into a cage, which was sealed behind a glass wall, which was then flooded with magma. His tomb for all eternity was a tiny wooden cell hidden beneath the magma forges, never to be found. Predictably, this drove him insane.

Another vampire was just fine with her cruel punishment. I had her trapped on an island surrounded by huge pits of water. The island was in the center of the fort, with the intent being that passing dwarves would gaze upon this miserable creature and laugh at its plight. It turns out she didn't give a poo poo about being alone on an island though. She had some cool statues to look at, and this was enough to make her ecstatic. Permanently. Being a vampire with no needs or friends, her mood never changes. So even as this particular fort turned into a necropolis after a series of terrible mistakes, it still had the happiest vampire ever partying on her own private island.

I kind of wish I hadn't built that fort in a terrifying biome. I still have the save but its basically unplayable at this point since everytime I try to have a dwarf do something, they get interrupted by one of the dozen dust husks that now wander around the fort.

Once held 200 dwarves, now down to 50 which includes only 3 soldiers and several gibbering lunatics.

EDIT: I forgot, vampire island also has a ghost haunting it. The vampire doesn't really care.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 21, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Makaris posted:

And yeah I've tried various combinations of where they're training, swapping around the direction they should be shooting from, making sure I've got like a thousand+ bolts. If they are set to train in a barracks they end up doing that mostly, if it's just the archery range then i got the 'going to archery training' thing. Don't think their is much more I can do to get them to just train D:

Give it time. When they've bullshitted about armor and punching enough, they should focus on range drills.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Stopped playing before the military changes. Other than that major system and the caves is there anything major I should look out for when making a new fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IT KEEPS HAPPENING :byodood:

Replacement Carpenter manages to die the exact same way as the first one. Only this time there actually way a bridge so she has no excuse. Guess I have to put up some protective walls. This scenic waterfall has turned into a death trap.