Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My civ managed to domesticate gremlins and a stray one came in with a migrant wave. It is now using up all my ammo by attempting to hunt Giant Thrips. Do I have to pasture it or something to get it to stop hunting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So I just found out that masterwork now gives ores lovely smelting efficiency unless you refine them first. Guess who outfitted 3 full military squads with full steel plate before finding this out? :smithicide:

Internet Kraken posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING :byodood:

Replacement Carpenter manages to die the exact same way as the first one. Only this time there actually way a bridge so she has no excuse. Guess I have to put up some protective walls. This scenic waterfall has turned into a death trap.

I just stopped embarking on waterfalls. Too many dead caravans and too many dumb dwarves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Apparently raising all the dead in masterwork, the undead that are raised by doing that are hostile to you and friendly to orcs. So much for that fortress :what:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Apparently raising all the dead in masterwork, the undead that are raised by doing that are hostile to you and friendly to orcs. So much for that fortress :what:
As warlocks?

Don't they need like, pylons to control them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

As warlocks?

Don't they need like, pylons to control them?

Yeah as warlocks, only skeletons need the pylons. Things you raise are set as "undead" and you can't control them, almost like the zombies you raise with body parts. I guess "Opposed to life" is tagged to friendly to you, kill everything else with no control from you while "undead" is hostile to everything except things that are hostile to you. On top of that it also made people I put into a coffin to pop out of their coffins and go on a killing spree.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING :byodood:

Replacement Carpenter manages to die the exact same way as the first one. Only this time there actually way a bridge so she has no excuse. Guess I have to put up some protective walls. This scenic waterfall has turned into a death trap.

Try using traffic designations to mark the entire river as restricted, except for your bridge(s).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What I usually do is I use DFHack's deramp to whisk away all the ramps leading to the low water area. Simple and elegant.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DFhack is pretty much essential to being able to play the game at all, but it's so easy to get carried away with it and cheat your way out of legitimate problems.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This is what I think of anytime I see a battlelog where someone gets beat to death with a mitten.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dwarf Fortress, where even a throwaway object can be legendary.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The other day one of my metalsmiths got a strange mood and started dragging a bar of adamantine into the forge only to emerge with... an adamantine animal trap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dwarf artifacts are great because they cover literally everything in spikes. Even clothing. Hey this turban looks neat but you know what it would be even better with massive marble spikes covering it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I actually played DF last night. Just thought you all should know.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Leal posted:

It seems kinda inconsistent. What I found is that former civilisation members (usually ghouls) would be hostile to you almost every time. I don't know about any of the other undead though.

Remember to kill your forgotten beast remnants before they start smashing everything!!

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
At least it was something somewhat useful? Gotta look on the bright side!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scamtank posted:

You do need to be right next to an arrow slit to shoot through it. The station orders being a bit vague don't help at all, I know.

I'm certain this isn't the case. In the most recent siege at Bronzestabbed, more than one of our best crossbowdwarfs plinked goblins through fortifications from two or three squares away from the wall. One of them did it through two successive fortifications (at an angle).

It might be related to skill, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I knew elite skills let you take out guys cowering behind fortifications, but I guess it makes perfect sense that it works in reverse as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's my recollection, that a legendary marksdwarf can fire through fortifications at a pretty ridiculous distance, whereas a totally green recruit has to practically hang off the battlements before he feels his shot isn't obstructed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Elite marksgoblins always headshot my dwarves through fortifications and an adamantine helm while his squadmates are just a meat shield for my guys. Maybe they shouldnt be so ridiculously powerful.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Dwarf artifacts are great because they cover literally everything in spikes. Even clothing. Hey this turban looks neat but you know what it would be even better with massive marble spikes covering it.

Dwarves are biased towards spikes and bands. They both have a 1.5x the chance weight compared to the other types of decorations. They hate hanging rings and images of plants and trees, having only 0.25x of the default weight. They are master jewelers and have developed sophisticated cuts and shapes to show off their gems.

Elves never depict evil creatures and are biased towards good creatures and themselves, at 1.5x and 2x weight respectively. They like depicting plants and trees (1.5x, 2x), but don't like items or tools (0.125x) and never put spikes on their things. If they get it in their heads to decorate their stuff with precious stones, they're just polished round buttons.

Humans like depicting themselves and fanciful creatures of myth over anything else (2x, 2.5x) but don't feel one way or another about the rest. They like cutting gems and glass, but only have discovered a fraction of the cuts dwarves possess.

Goblins never depict good things and are 2x as likely to depict evil things. They only know how to polish stones into rectangular plates and octahedrons (point cut).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Makaris posted:

I have fortifications overlooking the entrance of my base, but when I station my units on the inside near them they don't shoot out from it. I thought to put the station marker right flush with the wall, but then some of my units go outside, which isn't the point.

Easiest way to fudge your way around this is to build a wall directly within your fortifications, like so:

code:
+++++++++ <fort
—D——————— <wall w/ door
+++++++++ <blood-soaked floor
FFFFFFFFF <fortifications
......... <hail of bolts

This way, they have nowhere to stand except directly against the fortification, and you don't have to worry about that poo poo. Also, if you're using 10-dwarf squads, they'll be super imprecise in where they station, whereas squads of 2 or 3 will be able to cluster exactly where you want.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Man, DF is being REALLY nice to me this game. A migrant wave just waltzed in with a tame Giant Cave Spider in tow. Time to set up a silk farm.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What? No I cannot type words about graphics in the OP, I'm too busy remaking the online help

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AXE COP posted:

It seems kinda inconsistent. What I found is that former civilisation members (usually ghouls) would be hostile to you almost every time. I don't know about any of the other undead though.

Remember to kill your forgotten beast remnants before they start smashing everything!!

Well that could be the case, it was ghouls popping out of their coffins wrecking me from the inside as on the outside the orcs were peacefully sitting in front of my gate with the undead hoping I would open them.

I think my favorite thing with Warlock fortress is having complete control on your population. It seems you really don't need many warlocks in your fortress, mostly ghouls and skeletons. Set the pop cap to low, then you can just make more skeletons and ghouls at your leisure rather then taking the cap off in hopes of getting 10 more just to be greeted with a wave of 60 storming in.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Lareine posted:

Man, DF is being REALLY nice to me this game. A migrant wave just waltzed in with a tame Giant Cave Spider in tow. Time to set up a silk farm.

You see, for me, DF being nice to me is the Crossbow dwarves actually have ammo.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grey Hunter posted:

You see, for me, DF being nice to me is the Crossbow dwarves actually have ammo.

Crossbows works like machine guns you know, the more ammo your dwarf has the faster they will kill things.

There is a bug were you can give your crossbow dwarfs thousands of bolts and they can take down pretty much anything in a couple of seconds.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
So the crossbows are actually chu-ko-nu?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Who gave the neo-YCS dumplets permission to use my name in their weird pony fortress? Oh, well, here's a devlog.

Toady One posted:

Tunnel trade runs haven't been going smoothly, but I found an old buried error in the 3D map code that was causing all the cave dragons and water to sneak into the central fortress up-down column, and various other problems besides, so that's good, anyway. I also had to play with world gen a bit to get brokers to show up at all since it wasn't doing unimportant positions for sites (as it makes too many functionary historical figures throughout history that way). Map bugs are always time-consuming (more-so because there are giant mushrooms now that seem to work their way into everything), but we should be getting away from them as we move past this item, since none of the other issues involve maps. I have to have a successful depot run first though. Back to it!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In continuing playing around with Warlock Fortress: Lost souls are so OP if done right. I keep one in my outer gate, let a group of enemies run in while my 4 bloodsteel sword equipped ghouls stand at the edge of the inner gate, the lost soul puts the entire group to sleep and my ghouls just run in and chop off the heads of everyone. Currently testing the effectiveness of putting them on my walls to put things that stand against the wall to sleep for my archers to pelt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Getting stunned in Dwarf Fortress is a death sentence. If you're put to sleep, you can't dodge anything and thus get maimed horribly. If you're paralyzed, you can't dodge anything and you also can't even breathe so if something doesn't maim you you'll suffocate. So yeah I imagine any allied creature that can paralyze enemies in an AOE would be horrifically OP if your guys are immune to it.

Paralysis is pretty rare in vanilla DF actually. Aside from randomly generated monsters, I'm pretty sure only giant cave spiders can inflict it.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
^^^^^ Hello paralysis-breathing forgotten beast. :emo:

So my fortress is going really well, and I want to have my populace start equipping leather just because. How do I get my civilians to prefer leather gear, if there is any way? Or should I just only build leather gear and just wait for the old cloth stuff to rot?

Makaris fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 23, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makaris posted:

^^^^^ Hello paralysis-breathing forgotten beast. :emo:

So my fortress is going really well, and I want to have my populace start equipping leather just because. How do I get my civilians to prefer leather gear, if there is any way? Or should I just only build leather gear and just wait for the old cloth stuff to rot?

I guess you could Forbid all cloth gear from the stocks menu? That should get them to drop it (everywhere) and go looking for new stuff. If you do you should do it one item at a time though, like all the cloth pants and then wait for them to pick up leather pants, then all the cloth shirts, and so on. Dwarfs go psycho when they are naked.

Alternately you could draft everyone into squads and have them put on a leather armor uniform. That is a bit better than just leather clothes, because they can wear leather boots instead of leather shoes. On the downside since they are technically soldiers they won't run away from danger.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Getting stunned in Dwarf Fortress is a death sentence. If you're put to sleep, you can't dodge anything and thus get maimed horribly. If you're paralyzed, you can't dodge anything and you also can't even breathe so if something doesn't maim you you'll suffocate. So yeah I imagine any allied creature that can paralyze enemies in an AOE would be horrifically OP if your guys are immune to it.

Paralysis is pretty rare in vanilla DF actually. Aside from randomly generated monsters, I'm pretty sure only giant cave spiders can inflict it.

What actually breaks it even more is that since the wisp basically shoots out sleeping dust it has the effect of knocking people away and on their asses like they were involved in a collapse. So often enough they knock things into rives or off pits, or makes splitting up the enemy by shutting the gates even easier as it blows some of the horde out of the gates. I can be sure that ghouls are not immune to the spirits blasts, don't know about skeletons though. Usually they're behind the ghouls cause of how slow they move. But since skeletons aren't subject to the things living beings are I wouldn't be too surprised if they were.

And you can practically get infinite of them. Get the hoardmaster and you can sell big gems for a soul, just cut rocks and then make 5 of those gem rocks into a big gem and sell it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Angela Christine posted:

I guess you could Forbid all cloth gear from the stocks menu? That should get them to drop it (everywhere) and go looking for new stuff. If you do you should do it one item at a time though, like all the cloth pants and then wait for them to pick up leather pants, then all the cloth shirts, and so on. Dwarfs go psycho when they are naked.

Alternately you could draft everyone into squads and have them put on a leather armor uniform. That is a bit better than just leather clothes, because they can wear leather boots instead of leather shoes. On the downside since they are technically soldiers they won't run away from danger.

If you remove them from the military afterwards would they remove all their armour and go back to cloth junk?

Unrelated: Today I lost a high master swordsman to an elk bird. Apparently a grand master fighter is useless against a big chicken without his sword...

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The Gnome race for masterwork is getting better and better, dang. The last couple of updates added:

- Cage guns. Point at an enemy and shoot, and they'll be trapped in it to do whatever with. Yes, this is essentially a pokeball.
- You can now fully armour any animal. More importantly, you can mount turrets on that armour. Want a snake that shoots webs? Wolves that breathe fire? Sharks with laser beams slade cannons on their heads? All this and more can be yours~
- Also you can rig animals up with suicide vests. Make literal catsplosions!

The dude behind it has been making some really innovative stuff and updates frequently so you should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Splode posted:

Unrelated: Today I lost a high master swordsman to an elk bird. Apparently a grand master fighter is useless against a big chicken without his sword...

No matter how skilled they are, basically anything in DF can kill a dwarf if they get lucky. Even a puppy could kill a dwarf if it landed a good shot to the head.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Latching and tearing bites also completely ignore armor. The only way to avoid it is to completely deflect the initial bite with rigid plate mail.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know why channeling large areas of the surface takes such a hit on my FPS (only while the channeling is taking place)? Is there anything that can be done about it?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

scamtank posted:

Who gave the neo-YCS dumplets permission to use my name in their weird pony fortress? Oh, well, here's a devlog.

If its any consolation the one named after you died in a tantrum spiral and took several others with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hooray!