Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Also I see quite a few strongholds with a population of four thousand (+) on my map.

Is it even possible to fight these civs without immediately being overwhelmed by a siege the following month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's he still accusing Tynan of only releasing a new rimworld dlc to steal adventure mode's thunder

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Azhais posted:

It's he still accusing Tynan of only releasing a new rimworld dlc to steal adventure mode's thunder
No idea what that’s all about, OP

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

No idea what that’s all about, OP

Blind released a video about a week ago titled something like "Rimworld has kneecapped DF" and talked a bit too seriously about how the new Rimworld DLC launch was going to dent the new / returning player numbers for Adventure Mode's release. Felt a touch salty, but whatever, Zach and Tarn are millionaires now as far as I can tell, happy and still loved by their fans so doesn't bother me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

frytechnician posted:

Blind released a video about a week ago titled something like "Rimworld has kneecapped DF" and talked a bit too seriously about how the new Rimworld DLC launch was going to dent the new / returning player numbers for Adventure Mode's release. Felt a touch salty, but whatever, Zach and Tarn are millionaires now as far as I can tell, happy and still loved by their fans so doesn't bother me.
loving :laffo:
Yea, that’s a bit rich.

I dunno if they’re millionaires, but even if they aren’t, they never set out to be and just get to work on their passion project.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I dunno if they’re millionaires, but even if they aren’t, they never set out to be and just get to work on their passion project.

The low estimates for the revenue the game has pulled in are in the >$17M range. They better be millionaires.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
They're also extremely aware that's a one time revenue spike and are focusing on things like "buying a house that isn't a shack" and "making sure we have money for poo poo in ten years" and "healthcare"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Benagain posted:

They're also extremely aware that's a one time revenue spike and are focusing on things like "buying a house that isn't a shack" and "making sure we have money for poo poo in ten years" and "healthcare"
Yes, they seem to be treating it as 'we can set ourselves up to live out our lives in comfort while dwarfin' it up'

Glory to the generous!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Reminds me of that steam discussion right at steam launch:

https://kotaku.com/dwarf-fortress-pc-steam-reviews-bay-12-games-kitfox-1849863454

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

The low estimates for the revenue the game has pulled in are in the >$17M range. They better be millionaires.
Holy poo poo, I hadn’t realized Dorf Fortress did that well.
It couldn’t have happened to better people.

Benagain posted:

That’s honestly exactly what I was expecting, they’ve always come across as sensible folk.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 26, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Tarn is essentially a math teacher, isn't he? If he can't budget sensibly, then I'm not entirely sure who can.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I didn't really know much about Dwarf Fortress and its creators, outside of a few mentions here and there in these forums and elsewhere. Then the Steam release hit and I got it on sale just because of the hype but it didn't really click for the longest time. Gradually, I got better at it and found out more about Tarn, Zach and the community in general. Then I found that they'd hit big sales numbers and was even happier I'd bought it. And now, as of last week, Tarn said the following about senior management in game companies:

"They can all eat poo poo, I think they’re horrible, and I think they’re bad people."

In short, the more I find out about the game and the devs, the more pleased I am with my purchase.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DF is made by good people and I'm glad they have had such success with the Steam release.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

frytechnician posted:

And now, as of last week, Tarn said the following about senior management in game companies:

"They can all eat poo poo, I think they’re horrible, and I think they’re bad people."

In short, the more I find out about the game and the devs, the more pleased I am with my purchase.

Holy gently caress, king poo poo lmao. Where/when did he say that? I would love to send a link around and get a bunch of my friends back into DF

e: yessss thank you ChickenWing

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

frytechnician posted:

And now, as of last week, Tarn said the following about senior management in game companies:

Even better in context

e:

PC Gamer Article posted:

"Three to four years from now, what are [Dwarf Fortress] sales looking like?" pondered Adams in a chat with PCG, "What kind of decisions do we have to make [with] burn rates and all that stuff?" Considering the possibility of making those hard decisions some day down the line, Tarn wondered if the experience would give him "more empathy for the people that lay people off.

"No, I don't f***ing think so," he concluded. "They can all eat s***, I think they're horrible, and I think they're bad people."

Which is a pretty definitive statement all by itself, but Adams continued: "These decisions, they don't sound practical. They sound like they're driven by greedy, greedy people trying to make some kind of venture capital thing work out.

"There is this stench of rot at the top of things where the reasons people get laid off is because of funding structures and bad incentives and stupidity," said Adams, damning execs for firing people "that they shouldn't fire because their company will fall apart, but I guess maybe that helps someone's bottom line somewhere or gets the right air inside the right golden parachute."

[...]

But for now, Tarn and Zach Adams say it's full-steam ahead with DF's development and incoming Adventure Mode update, which hits this April. "[We're] still fundamentally excited about what's possible, and not feeling encumbered ourselves by any of that… we're gonna keep shining the light forward, and hopefully continuing to inspire people."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is a thread on Steam Discussions where someone is befuddled why Dwarf Fortress is getting so many positive reviews and yet the player count is in the low thousands and then doubtfully asks if people where waiting to give the devs $30 to which thousands of people respond "yes". It's pretty funny but also speaks to how beloved this game is and that people want to support it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/discussions/0/3709307511570311787/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mr E posted:

DF is made by good people and I'm glad they have had such success with the Steam release.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Popete posted:

There is a thread on Steam Discussions where someone is befuddled why Dwarf Fortress is getting so many positive reviews and yet the player count is in the low thousands and then doubtfully asks if people where waiting to give the devs $30 to which thousands of people respond "yes". It's pretty funny but also speaks to how beloved this game is and that people want to support it.

OP lacks a dwarven soul (the steam community guy not you)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new Rimworld DLC isn't really the same as adventure mode, it still takes place on one map I believe.

Both games a great and Rimworld is clearly inspired by DF, there is plenty of room for the both of them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's kinda unfair to both games is to compare Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld, but I think this happens because the very first time anyone ever heard about Rimworld was Tynans first post, which was also a self-promotion post (despite that being well-known to be frowned upon), on the Bay12 Forums - and which tried to sell itself as something it has turned out not to be.

They're fundamentally very different games with different goals, and are developed in very different styles - the latter just happens to draw surface-level inspiration from the former.

I definitely prefer the former, but recognize that a lot of people enjoy the latter, and that's great.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

BlindIRL is also a streamer/youtuber guy. Didn't watch the video but I assume the salt is more because people like him are probably more affected than Tarn&Zach might be in terms of viewer interest etc. The latter have been developing this game for over a decade now and coinciding with a different release is probably a minor thing for them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clocks posted:

BlindIRL is also a streamer/youtuber guy. Didn't watch the video but I assume the salt is more because people like him are probably more affected than Tarn&Zach might be in terms of viewer interest etc. The latter have been developing this game for over a decade now and coinciding with a different release is probably a minor thing for them.
I think he's the only full-time content creator who does Dwarf Fortress stuff?
So yeah, it makes sense why he'd be more affected than the Brothers Adams.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Clocks posted:

BlindIRL is also a streamer/youtuber guy. Didn't watch the video but I assume the salt is more because people like him are probably more affected than Tarn&Zach might be in terms of viewer interest etc.

Eh, not entirely sure about that. I just think he's very passionate about DF and feels a little bit like Rimworld has unjustly "stolen" a lot of its thunder, which isn't an entirely void argument but most people seem to think that the two can exist perfectly happily together. You know, despite Dwarf Fortress being the vastly superior game and all... just (semi)kidding!

I haven't actually sessioned Rimworld at all yet but have been meaning to this year; have heard it's very good and unless I'm mistaken, it's supposed to be a lot easier to manage on Steam Deck too, which is a plus.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm also a bigger fan of DF than Rimworld (I just like how DF does things better overall, I guess) but I can see why Rimworld took off more - it's just more accessible off the bat.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Popete posted:

This was me tbh. I bought it, played it and didn't get back into the groove I had when I sank however many hours into it way back, plus the release interface was a little raw/confusing, but seeing as I'd gone over the return period I thought "you know what, I've had more than this amount of playtime from it over the years and they deserve it".

I haven't really touched it since launch though. Is dwarf therapist in there yet?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You don't need Therapist anymore due to the way labours work, and DFHack is it's own Steam entry now, so you never have to worry about updating it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660/DFHack__Dwarf_Fortress_Modding_Engine/

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's ridiculous to compare dwarf fortress to video games because dwarf fortress is the passion project of a madman that has spanned decades and promises to continue into mankind's distant future

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only dwarf.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

that’s not true at all

there’s also fortress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only dwarf.
Leagues of Votann Fortress v0.9.12

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Clocks posted:

I'm also a bigger fan of DF than Rimworld (I just like how DF does things better overall, I guess) but I can see why Rimworld took off more - it's just more accessible off the bat.

The rivalry is also dumb because Rimworld is legitimately working as an on-ramp for new players into DF. I've personally seen (and been at least somewhat responsible for) two cases.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's ridiculous to compare dwarf fortress to video games because dwarf fortress is the passion project of a madman that has spanned decades and promises to continue into mankind's distant future

I honestly think that now I've kind of cracked the fundamentals of early / intermediate play, I'll be playing DF forever, just like Slay the Spire. Not even Balatro, a game I love and arguably one of the most addictive in years has been able to push me away from playing it. Just a weird, wholesome, mad experience from two awesome creators.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

The rivalry is also dumb because Rimworld is legitimately working as an on-ramp for new players into DF. I've personally seen (and been at least somewhat responsible for) two cases.
Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Tynan hasn't made much more money on Dwarf Fortress' reputation, than the brothers Adams have made on Rimworlds reputation.

Considering the brothers Adams lived on donations of most of Dwarf Fortress' lifetime, and Rimworld has consistently been in steams top sellers, it's clear that Tynan has made a LOT of money on it.
With the Dwarf Fortress-priced expansion packs coming out for Rimworld regularly, it's not like the brothers Adams can even out over the long term now that Steam exists, either.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why does that matter? Rimworld making a bunch of money doesn't mean Dwarf Fortress is losing it. The games are different enough and are widely beloved among both groups of players that I imagine most people will buy/play both if they want to.

I have played more Rimworld than DF even though conceptually I like DF more, it's just easier to jump into Rimworld. That said I instantly bought DF on release and if they ever did some kind of DLC I'd pick it up as well. I will also continue buying all the Rimworld DLCs.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe eventually they'll do some art-book DLC of their crayon drawings or something, that would be nice.

I tried to like rimworld, but after years of DF, it just felt like a babies-first-version of DF. The whole time I was playing it my brain was going "this is okay, but you could be playing..."

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Tynan hasn't made much more money on Dwarf Fortress' reputation ...

What. In what way does Rimworld make _any_ money from Dwarf Fortress' reputation?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lowen posted:

What. In what way does Rimworld make _any_ money from Dwarf Fortress' reputation?
I believe there are a number of people who, historically, were interested in DF but found its graphical interface and menu system forbidding. This is greatly diminished by the Steam release if certainly not wholly removed. Rimworld has a similar gameplay flow and is even more forward on narrative/character stuff, but is more straightforward to learn, and (based on my attempts to play it before losing interest and returning to the mountainhomes) harder to have a situation where things abruptly collapsed for reasons that are not clear.

And - in theoretical terms, mind you - some people might be less into the whole dwarf fantasy.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I wouldn't mind a Rimworld dwarf fortress mod that lets me sell my dwarfs organs to the trader and grow fields of space weed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

I wouldn't mind a Rimworld dwarf fortress mod that lets me sell my dwarfs organs to the trader and grow fields of space weed
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Hemp

Sadly, no organlegging... but it would be great to be able to get replacement organs from the caravan, wouldn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Second video showcasing adventure mode combat is out and it includes pinching a goblins guts in half with a dwarves hands, picking them up and throwing them at another goblin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4FKSepDVLA