Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

darthbob88 posted:

Things and knowledge, yeah. If my dwarfs can learn to domesticate elk birds or the like, I should be able to send them to the mountainhome and buy elk birds in my next fortress.

Isn't this sorta possible though? Like, you can now abandon your fort but leave it running, plus your animal tamers give taming knowledge back to your parent civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wait, you can retire your fort to run itself now? That's amazing, actual incentive to keep playing the same world and just stop a fort and start a new one when you get bored of it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait, you can retire your fort to run itself now? That's amazing, actual incentive to keep playing the same world and just stop a fort and start a new one when you get bored of it.

Yeah!

edit: also I checked legends after abandoning a fort to ruin (the classic abandonment) and I guess all the dwarves leftover created their own group and were still tracked in legends. I didn't progress history at all after that but I found it interesting and if you played another fort I imagine you might see one of your previous dwarves, or at least get to see them do stuff in legends after a few years

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After retiring a fort the legends will record it as 'the fortress leadership stopped being really erratic and weird'

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I like the idea of researching things like magic or something additional like that. Having the pro being "cool magic poo poo" and the cons being "could have some horrid disaster" instead of the rimworld-like of "one of your pawns are unable to do other tasks".

And since I'm phone posting, I also like having magic be a good wealth dump. Set up a magic guild and have them request 100,000 coins so they can buy reagents and snake oil from the poorly disguised demon.
This gets to a pretty big difference between Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld: The former is the sort of game where, unless you're doing low-population challenge forts for stupid dwarf tricks, it's entirely possible to have not just one but a handful of dorfs running around the fort not doing much of anything, other than the occasional hauling job when you queue up enough things to do at the same time.
Some of this comes down to the fact that you don't have direct control over dorfs.

And that's what makes it such a frustration in Rimworld, because there you're essentially forced to have one less survivor, if you want to engage with any of the tech tree.

cheetah7071 posted:

If the game adds inventions, they should presumably be rare enough that many forts won't see even one. After all, the game is supposed to model a world that continues for centuries, that you repeatedly play in.

Nessus posted:

I imagine it's something that could happen randomly but if you wanted to try to get them you have to set up the libraries and the engineering spaces and so on. And there's no guarantee you're going to get something useful (high boot, dwarven longsword) vs. either another randomized musical instrument or some kind of "now you can cut glass lenses, which are worth as much as semi-precious gems"

though that latter one would be pretty strong if you think about it.
I'm not sure it'd be fun if what you can do is chosen, essentially at random, without you having any control over it.
Dwarf Fortress is one of the few games where the only real impediment is player knowledge, and changing that by making faction-/civilization-unique inventions seems like a bad idea.

Synthbuttrange posted:

After retiring a fort the legends will record it as 'the fortress leadership stopped being really erratic and weird'
That's honestly the best part; Dwarf Fortress mocks the player.

If you manage to kill a dwarf in such a way that only your orders could've caused it to happen (for example by pulling a lever causing a bridge to close, thereby killing the dwarf), there's a special cause of death that you won't see any other way - and that's even more mocking than the above.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah!

edit: also I checked legends after abandoning a fort to ruin (the classic abandonment) and I guess all the dwarves leftover created their own group and were still tracked in legends. I didn't progress history at all after that but I found it interesting and if you played another fort I imagine you might see one of your previous dwarves, or at least get to see them do stuff in legends after a few years
Legends mode is the real simulation; fortress and adventure mode are just ways of interacting with it in the shape of two different but related games.
One of the best things about the game is reading the legends mode after you have a world that you've established several forts in, where the status of mountainhome has occasionally moved about, and you've had dorfs migrate from fort to fort.
It's especially great if you also do adventure mode in between, because you get to affect the world in different ways.

I once managed to rebuild a dead faction by embarking with 7 dorfs under the banner of that faction, then building a fort up for several hundred years and surviving all manner of sieges and even the circus, then retiring the fort and building new forts different places around the world.
Occasionally I'd have a migrant wave where a dorf from the old fort would show up, and by the end of the time I spent in that world, over 2000 years had passed and they were the biggest faction and had basically overtaken the entire map.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's cool sometimes members of your old fort will migrate to your new fort. And you're like, "hey, it's that guy" and you're happy because he is already trained in skills you found useful.

Note: This is less good when the reason you retired your old fort was because you had a runaway werebeast plague.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Note: This is less good when the reason you retired your old fort was because you had a runaway werebeast plague.
That’s just a missed oppotunity for a stupid dwarf trick, OP

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Since one of my tricks to avoid tantrum spirals is to kick out any replaceable dwarf with "always angry all the time" my subsequent forts end up getting a lot of angry dwarves showing up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sounds like a problem for future me, and that guy's an rear end in a top hat.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I really do hope that magic is sorta like a mixture of music and books

There are generated "schools" of magic like the dance styles and spells are like songs or dances when performed. People can study magic to try do magical effects, maybe the school limits what kind of effect can happen.

For example
Graltation (i tried making something that sounds generated) a school of magic
It focuses of conjuratation of plants and the elements concerning air.

I think most schools would have a basic cantrips that it starts with, so like if the school has a focus on air it might have a wind gust.
Magicians would research and expirement so that they could find new spells.
Spells would also have to have a fail state. Any dwarf can write a poem or sing a song , it might not necessarily be good but the poem or song still happens and people react to it. If you suck at spellcasting, a spell might straight up fail.m (maybe catastrophically)

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 29, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wasn't the first incarnation of the magic system prone to things like those failure states, though? I never got the chance to play with it, but I've definitely heard about like, teleporting your own brain outside of your skull, and the like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

neogeo0823 posted:

Wasn't the first incarnation of the magic system prone to things like those failure states, though? I never got the chance to play with it, but I've definitely heard about like, teleporting your own brain outside of your skull, and the like.
I feel like having your dwarfs endure the perils of the warp could only enhance the game, as long as there is at least some moderation a la the ability to turn down/remove weres and draculas.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

That was Slaves To Armok: God of Blood 1. Slaves to Armok: God of Blood 2: Dwarf Fortress has never had a magic system beyond necromancers, who can do exactly one thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they do that one thing really well. they romance the poo poo out of those necs

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm on my fifth swarm of agitated giant peach-faced lovebirds and man do I wish that archers actually worked in this game. Like I don't mind agitated giant animals so much except why does it have to be these loving birds every single time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There's a couple of things I was kinda devasted about not getting fixed with the steam release and yeah thats one of them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I thought they fixed crossbowdwarves not working?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They “work” in that if the stars align they will shoot some bolts, but there’s still all the old issues of getting ammo, not running into bash with crossbow, dodging incoming fire out through a fortification, ect. And at the of the day, even without those issues crossbows simply aren’t very competitive compared to a kitted out melee dwarf, making them really more hassle than it’s worth.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i was able to get them mostly working by building a towers with iron bars for walls..probably still not worth it but they will shoot out of them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pharnakes posted:

They “work” in that if the stars align they will shoot some bolts, but there’s still all the old issues of getting ammo, not running into bash with crossbow, dodging incoming fire out through a fortification, ect. And at the of the day, even without those issues crossbows simply aren’t very competitive compared to a kitted out melee dwarf, making them really more hassle than it’s worth.

And even melee dwarves won't path to flying enemies properly. Invading birds can just hover 3 z-levels up indefinitely, decided to kill random civilians on a whim. The only way to deal with it is to have your melee dwarves constantly stationed under them in case they descend

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The solution to that one is to never go outside. Well, I suppose that doesn’t help with flying cavern creatures, but in general one block high corridors will force flying creatures down to where your melee dwarves can gently caress them up.

If you still want outdoor crops then a greenhouse is a nice project for the glass industry.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've had success with crossbow dwarves by setting a burrow where I want them to stand, and telling them to defend the burrow. It's kind of awkward, but it works great for getting them to fire through fortifications at something. Just make sure the burrow is right up against the fortification. Possibly even just a single tile.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

cheetah7071 posted:

I've had success with crossbow dwarves by setting a burrow where I want them to stand, and telling them to defend the burrow. It's kind of awkward, but it works great for getting them to fire through fortifications at something. Just make sure the burrow is right up against the fortification. Possibly even just a single tile.

DF workaround logic at its finest. I've only just got my head around the military stuff recently and even then, I'd say that's at intermediate level. Would be awesome if they finally get round to making crossbows work properly for sure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my understanding is that if you tell a squad to station somewhere, they'll feel free to chase enemies anywhere, but try to return to that point whenever they're not fighting. If you tell them to defend a burrow, they will not leave that burrow for any reason other than because they're about to starve or dehydrate

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I thought they fixed crossbowdwarves not working?

What they fixed was the bolt bug so now your marksdwarves will more reliably refill their quivers. The main issue where they wanna bonk things with their crossbows instead of shooting and will ignore attack orders if they can't get into melee with the target still remains.

I have seen them kite like 2 or 3 times so it seems the AI for that does exist but only seems to work in specific cases I'm yet to identify.

One trick I found with them was to make a sealed room with fortifications looking into your entrance corridor, then put a one tile wide burrow along the fortifications and tell them to defend that burrow. That will make them stand right at the edge so even at low skill they'll fire out at targets. You may need to lock the door to their room during an attack just in case but other than that they should reliable shoot through at enemies.

There's no greater feeling than seeing a forgotten beast barrelling at your walls only to be taken out with a single bolt to the head.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

my understanding is that if you tell a squad to station somewhere, they'll feel free to chase enemies anywhere, but try to return to that point whenever they're not fighting. If you tell them to defend a burrow, they will not leave that burrow for any reason other than because they're about to starve or dehydrate

Ooh that's handy information, will have to figure out how exactly burrow defending works now lol

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

My trick was building a long, short drawbridge connected to nothing other than the outside of my firing cage. Close the shutter and they lose the death stare.

Also the back wall made out of statues.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When is adventure mode due to come out for the Steam version? I thought it was supposed to be April? I've been holding off on playing DF again until it came out, and tbh I'm more excited for adventure mode than I am fortress mode.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

it is coming out April 17th

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

VideoWitch posted:

it is coming out April 17th

Awesome, thanks!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

resistentialism posted:

a long, short drawbridge

:thunk:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

choadbridge

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Zereth posted:

That was Slaves To Armok: God of Blood 1. Slaves to Armok: God of Blood 2: Dwarf Fortress has never had a magic system beyond necromancers, who can do exactly one thing.

Note that this is not strictly true. Intelligent undead can have magic, with very varying results. Most of the effects are fairly minimal, like causing blisters or momentary dizziness on the target, but on the upper end there are ice bolts and telekinesis that can cause enemies to fly away from the caster, with enough force to splatter smaller foes when they impact the ground.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rimworld needs z-levels and I don't think that's ever happening.

There are mods, but it's just a single level, maybe two, I don't recall, and it drastically impacts performance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Bible posted:

Rimworld needs z-levels and I don't think that's ever happening.

There are mods, but it's just a single level, maybe two, I don't recall, and it drastically impacts performance.

Rimworld's lack of z-levels is why, despite having less developed mod scenes and so on, I vastly prefer Stranded: Alien Dawn and Going Medieval over it. That extra layer of worldspace does a lot.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Rimworld's lack of z-levels is why, despite having less developed mod scenes and so on, I vastly prefer Stranded: Alien Dawn and Going Medieval over it. That extra layer of worldspace does a lot.

I'll check those out, thanks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jyrraeth posted:

I like both DF and Rimworld for different reasons but one of the main reasons I keep going back to DF is that there's no tech tree unlock. I always hated in Rimworld/similar games where you just need to have someone sit at a table for 4000000 hours to grind out stuff and eventually you can get everything neat in the game. Mind you, I do get that Rimworld is a game while DF is art, but I just hate that cycle.

DF has a much more refreshing feeling of "welp if you want cloth, here's a bunch of stuff to set up your industry. Have fun!" I'm pretty sure the reading/researching skills are going to change that slightly but I doubt that it's going to feel like as much of a drag as the Rimworld research.

One of my favorite things to do in the game is set up a completely useless paper and book industry that's automated and has a little dude confined to a burrow that's got his workshop, bedroom and the tavern/library. Every day he presses paper and makes artisinal book binders and scroll rolls. It's a completely useless thing to do, it isn't even very valuable but it's so satisfying to see my library grow and attract visitors :allears:

I do want the tech tree to be implemented eventually so I can make a mega library at the center of the world that attracts scholars and exports knowledge. I want management tools that let me set up my guilds with private libraries where they jealously hoard their skills. The guilds and religions will really come into their own when they get just a little bit more complexity and the scholar system comes online. I want to have masters visit to use my forges and train my dwarves, I want my own dwarves to travel to the civilization capitol at the kings summons to teach them about steel.

I sort of miss the old Masterwork mod. It was very kitchen sink and had too many useless systems in it, but it had some very cool ideas, like archeology, which could slot in nicely with research/magic. I really liked the special gem tiles that would exrude lava or water so you had a source in weird places. The normalization of leather and bones was nice because honestly I don't really care if its dog or cat leather, just call it "leather" and have some nicer and more valuable variants from rarer creatures. I don't mind unique types from dragons or whatever though.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I think any unlockable tech (outside of small side grades and upgrades like high boots) should be fundamentally confined to the level your dwarves operate on, rather than the level you the player operate on. Maybe they discover and teach each other methods of working faster, safer, or producing better results. Maybe it raises their skill ceilings or their moods. Maybe they invent a new instrument or a new verse structure or a new geometric shape. But if DF took pumps, windmills, steel, glass, dye, any of a hundred things that are available right now from the moment you embark, and put them behind a progress bar, it'd be a very sad state of affairs. (Or, more likely, another set of toggles lost in a myriad world-gen options).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

The normalization of leather and bones was nice because honestly I don't really care if its dog or cat leather, just call it "leather" and have some nicer and more valuable variants from rarer creatures. I don't mind unique types from dragons or whatever though.

drat, I wonder if Steam DF has a mod that does this, I would like that very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The masterwork mod had some other really good ideas. It let you do things like put armor on your war animals and build whole sets of clothing at once.