Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh it's the beta and not the full release? drat it. :(

Yeah I watched BlindIRL's latest future of the fortress recap and IIRC it'll have adventure mode and a bunch of the new systems like procgen healing and maybe demigods, but the more specific stuff like dungeons and temples won't come until later beta patches/the full release

related:

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1780531285171015904

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1780569972000845836

e: goddamn Dabu can set a mood

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
I played a lot of adventure mode prior to the steam release and I am really, really looking forward to playing a budgie man / cockatiel man adventurer now that they have sprites

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
the update just started for me

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
It's up on Steam if you have betas enabled

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

this is the best day of my life

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dwarf Fortress: Choose your fursona

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Adventure mode is still fairly bare-bones. You don't appear to be able to do some key things like butcher creatures for meat, view the time of day and weather, or view quests. I did get absolutely torn to shreds by a giant eagle though!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Aero737 posted:

Adventure mode is still fairly bare-bones. You don't appear to be able to do some key things like butcher creatures for meat, view the time of day and weather, or view quests. I did get absolutely torn to shreds by a giant eagle though!

I seem to recall these being really esoteric processes in the past, like you had to apply a carving knife to the corpse or whatever? Might be buried in the hotkeys?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A decade a so ago, when I played Adventure Mode last, IIRC you butchered from the abilities menu, which was the x button.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you enable the adventure mode beta in steam. Is it just the "beta - Public beta branch"?

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Slashrat posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you enable the adventure mode beta in steam. Is it just the "beta - Public beta branch"?

Yep! As soon as you flip it to that, it should start to download automatically.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Yes, although I seemed to have to generate a new world in order to start Adventure mode.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Thank you. Much appreciated

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a way to recover the generation parameters (including seed) from a world? A few months back I found a really cool embark but ended up not in the mood to play it. I saved the world for later, but I heard adventure mode will break save compatibility. I don't need to transfer the actual fort forward since I haven't played it at all but it'd be neat to preserve the cool embark by re-generating the world in the new patch

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I seem to recall these being really esoteric processes in the past, like you had to apply a carving knife to the corpse or whatever? Might be buried in the hotkeys?

The "x" feature is currently disabled, so no butchering. And I can't seem to heat up the ice in my wineskin. Not great!

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

a starchy tuber posted:

The "x" feature is currently disabled, so no butchering. And I can't seem to heat up the ice in my wineskin. Not great!

Right click on the fire and you should be able to heat the ice/waterskin.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

a starchy tuber posted:

Ooof

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So, uh...dumb question - what am I supposed to do in Adventure Mode? I talk to people where I started who tell me about a missing treasure but when I look around on the map...even if they say it's 'close by' I still can't find it.

Been watching some Blind streams to try and figure this out...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Have the Dfhack guys got an update out for the beta? Any other game I wouldn't ask, but they're usually so on the ball with it...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Have the Dfhack guys got an update out for the beta? Any other game I wouldn't ask, but they're usually so on the ball with it...

Yep, looks like it dropped sometime in the last couple hours

TracerBullet posted:

So, uh...dumb question - what am I supposed to do in Adventure Mode? I talk to people where I started who tell me about a missing treasure but when I look around on the map...even if they say it's 'close by' I still can't find it.

Been watching some Blind streams to try and figure this out...

AFAIK the answer is just "gently caress around". They're adding a real tutorial as part of this release, but for now the game is just "you exist in the world you created". If you created a fortress, you can go explore it? You can make a pocket world and commit genocide?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Yes, it's on the beta branch of Dwarf Hack

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Adventure mode status: made an easy mode hammerdwarf, murdered a pack of dingo people, stumbled into a goblin something and got eviscerated by a pikeman

good times

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Aero737 posted:

Right click on the fire and you should be able to heat the ice/waterskin.

nice, thanks

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Walking around giving everyone a summary of the time a emu attacked me (a few hours ago).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I chose 2 pet worms in adventure mode and when I spawned in there were on my shoulder. :kimchi:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Turns out you can go to pre-beta worlds in adventure mode, so I visited the fort where I made my calculator. For some reason the river in my fort was frozen even though it never got cold enough for that. I bumped into a locked door and got stuck in a menu, forcing me to end the game via task manager. It seems you can't pull levers yet so I wasn't able to use the calculator. I went to my tavern and stole all our artifacts, I don't think anyone noticed but it was hard to tell from the forty million messages of people talking to each other. I don't know how many of these issues were due to the world being pre-beta.

It was still fun to explore my fort though. My dwarves even had their nicknames!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So far it feels pretty much the old adventure mode except with the newer interface. I'm not sure about the popup windows for dialogue and stuff though, it feels like it both gets in the way and also can be accidentally dismissed if you're moving fast. like if they split the view into 2/3rds the main view and shoved all the text scroll in the sidebar that'd be more usable?

They also threw a lot more graphics into the previously blank backgrounds.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah I missed a bunch of messages from the game closing them as I moved too.

I'm gonna wait until a few more patches, be it from bay9 or the dfhacks devs, at least until the log is in the game so I don't need to write down all the directions for quests I'm getting. The villain system is a really cool concept and I hope it gets to a place to better explore that more.

Oh also, I misread this and thought for a minute that my tick man had strong opinions about dwarf fortress youtubers.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 18, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

You can make a pocket world and commit genocide?

I tried murdering everybody in a single settlement once as a necromancer. It took forever, since I had to keep leaving with my zombie horde and returning so that more of the "there's X people living here" would actually spawn on the map where my zombies could actually use the combat system against them. I eventually gave up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jyrraeth posted:

I chose 2 pet worms in adventure mode and when I spawned in there were on my shoulder. :kimchi:

:3:

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

resistentialism posted:

Walking around giving everyone a summary of the time a emu attacked me (a few hours ago).

I don't know if we're quite there yet but the real win with adventurerer mode will be when you're able to go into adventurer mode, tell a fortress a bunch of made up bullshit about your exploits, and then have the dwarves faithfully engrave your lies into their fortress walls

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

df wiki posted:

Vermin pets will perch on their masters' shoulders

So that should work for all sorts of things

cave spider shoulder pet gogo

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When will the stable version of adventure mode hit trunk? I guess next month?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

So that should work for all sorts of things

cave spider shoulder pet gogo

Waiting for the bug where you can have a pet elephant and it spawns on your shoulder, instantly crushing your poor dwarf as soon as they pop into existence.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm sorry but Smoma Jam-rear end is one of the best names for a worm I've ever seen

Edit: Adventure mode is fun. There's a ton of stuff that's "coming soon" but adventure mode was never the focus of the original game so I bet adapting it has been a real chore

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

When will the stable version of adventure mode hit trunk? I guess next month?

steam news posted:

The beta for Adventure Mode will open on April 17th (Tarn’s birthday!). Anyone who owns Dwarf Fortress on Steam will be able to access the beta. Adventure Mode will fully launch a few weeks later on the main branch. We will be announcing the official release date as soon as we can.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

Edit: Adventure mode is fun. There's a ton of stuff that's "coming soon" but adventure mode was never the focus of the original game so I bet adapting it has been a real chore

I read somewhere that Adventure Mode is actually Tarn's preferred way to play and the whole point of DF was for him to create this cool world simulator that he could build huge fortresses full of traps and treasure and whatnot in, and then go explore

This may have been a fever dream but it also wouldn't surprise me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats pretty much spot on. Dwarf Fortress was an interesting and decently rewarding side branch to the project but whole world generation was his aim.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doYVmFmlHNY

THIS SONG FUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm sorry but Smoma Jam-rear end is one of the best names for a worm I've ever seen

I did a basic ctrl+f on the wiki and this is what I found they translate to:

Smoma jamassedme: Droopy meet-murk
Obol tabaramet: Clout spray-apple

(Tracks that the dwarfen civ I started with seems to have been shuffled between goblin and human rule so my dwarf ladies have her worm pals human language names).

Droopy meetmurk is a very wormy name.

The human language has a lot of words that sound silly to us and you can get some fun stuff.