Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Didn't see this mentioned: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2346660/view/3955917075654793693?l=english big DFHack update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

quote:

Be master of your domain with gui/embark-anywhere
By popular request, you can now ask Armok to allow you to embark wherever you please!

Bulk item management
The new item commandline tool allows you to filter items in you fort by various properties (item type, material, wear-level, quality, etc.), and perform bulk operations like forbid, dump, melt, and their inverses.

Squad equipment assignment fixing tool
"Detect conflicts" button added to squad equipment. This will bring up a report of squad equipment issues, like conflicting labors (mining, hunting, and tree chopping), equipment pieces assigned to multiple squad members & citizens retaining squad membership (and equipment configuration) from previous forts. There's a button at the top of the report that attempts to fix all the problems.

Visualize biome boundaries with gui/biomes
On Embarks at the intersection of two or more biomes, gui/biomes can show you where boundaries are, and will also give you information about the biomes themselves, such as their savagery rating

Bulk building management with gui/mass-remove
gui/mass-remove has been around for a while, but has received a significant overhaul. You can box select a region and schedule all buildings, constructions, stockpiles, and/or zones for removal. Planned and fully built buildings/constructions can be selected independently

Auto-restore difficulty settings and standing orders for new embarks
Both difficulty settings (in the pre-embark setup screen or the Settings screen when a fort is loaded) and standing orders (Labor -> Standing orders) can be saved and restored independently

DFHack control panel
The DFHack gui/control-panel interface received a significant overhaul. Tools are now categorized into subtabs, gathering the automation, bugfix, and gameplay tools into sublists.

These announced updates have me very happy and excited just from reading the headers alone. :allears:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Sometimes I really love the Randos that this game generates. I tend to accept petitions from people with funny names and I just got someone named "Kisho Deadbaby" and he dreams of bathing the world in chaos, loves to eat hagfish and pig cheese. What a freak, welcome aboard!

I'm sure he's got a criminal history and is just waiting to get into the artefact locker.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Artifact . . . locker?

I keep all my artifacts on display in the tavern, deep underground. The sheriff's office is next door. When something is stolen there are a dozen witnesses and it usually gets reported before the thief gets outside, so I just lock the doors.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Artifact . . . locker?

I keep all my artifacts on display in the tavern, deep underground. The sheriff's office is next door. When something is stolen there are a dozen witnesses and it usually gets reported before the thief gets outside, so I just lock the doors.

lol you turned your tavern into mystery dinner theater. that rules

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Artifact . . . locker?

You should put the jail cells in the tavern too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mzbundifund posted:

Do wooden training axes not work to cut down trees anymore? You could easily turn your three free wagon logs into a workshop and a couple axes so a no-items start could at least be able to chop trees for a wooden starter base.

They do not; I'm not sure when it was patched out, but in the recent past, either a little before or after the Steam version

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Have any of the external legends viewers been updated to work with the steam version?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Legends Browser works

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
when I try to play non-ASCII mode menus are broken (missing background), any way to fix it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tik2DmKCxbk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

Artifact . . . locker?

yeah i noticed poo poo tends to just go missing more if i keep my artifacts in a vault, no matter how many guards i put on it. in the process of moving poo poo over to my fancy new tavern (built around the bottom of a pit with windows so my dwarves can watch goblins explode into gore)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hbag posted:

yeah i noticed poo poo tends to just go missing more if i keep my artifacts in a vault, no matter how many guards i put on it. in the process of moving poo poo over to my fancy new tavern (built around the bottom of a pit with windows so my dwarves can watch goblins explode into gore)

If you're going to vault them up rather than use them or put them somewhere people can get happy thoughts from looking at them, just wall them in so nobody can get to them at all.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
If you want to be unFun you can display the item them surround then with Bars so passing creatures can looky looky but no touchy touchy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure that also stops the looking, they have to be adjacent. At that point they're just adding to room value

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
Preview of Adventure Mode Combat! Looks sick as hell!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TheMaskedReader posted:

Preview of Adventure Mode Combat! Looks sick as hell!

holy shiiiit!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

So good to see individual teeth as grappling targets

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Your adventurer can be a dentist entirely through emergent gameplay.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

If it's a carryable artifact, I find assigning them as symbols of office to various nobles helps, though it's a crapshoot as to whether that noble will pick it up. If they do, people don't seem to try to steal it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DPM posted:

If you want to be unFun you can display the item them surround then with Bars so passing creatures can looky looky but no touchy touchy

i remember reading that dwarves need to be on the same tile as a display case to look at whats in it so i dont think that would work anyway

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Love Toady making the mistake of grabbing someone by the neck and being like "why can't I choke them?" cause you have to grab them by the throat to do that

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wolfechu posted:

If it's a carryable artifact, I find assigning them as symbols of office to various nobles helps, though it's a crapshoot as to whether that noble will pick it up. If they do, people don't seem to try to steal it.

we’re talking about the teeth right

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

hbag posted:

i remember reading that dwarves need to be on the same tile as a display case to look at whats in it so i dont think that would work anyway

I must have misunderstood a comment by Blind, my bad.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

My approach to prevent artifact thefts is to not have any of my stuff open to the public. Set all my taverns, etc to long term residents only. That seems to stop villain agents from coming around to steal stuff or corrupt your dwarves into stealing stuff.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's boring. You'd condemn your sheriff to just sit around looking over empty dungeons like that? I need a steady supply of undead coming in to commit crimes so that I can build elaborate cells to lock them away in for eternity.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I long hoped for that but usually I just get loads of notification spam because randos keep stealing my masterwork goblets.

I had one high point though where every few months an agent of a coati devil would show up at my gates, shout that no one would stop him from getting his hands on an artifact toy boat, then my 20 guard dogs would tear him to shreds.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Further Reading posted:

I long hoped for that but usually I just get loads of notification spam because randos keep stealing my masterwork goblets.

I had one high point though where every few months an agent of a coati devil would show up at my gates, shout that no one would stop him from getting his hands on an artifact toy boat, then my 20 guard dogs would tear him to shreds.

Look that poor devil is probably having some really difficult conversations with their 3yo about why they can't play with the special boat as per the prophecy every bath time.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Wow, you can play DF with GeForce Now (Stadia-like cloud service). I wonder if its possible to get DFhack going at the same time. 50,000 population 10x10 embark? Why not?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

Wow, you can play DF with GeForce Now (Stadia-like cloud service). I wonder if its possible to get DFhack going at the same time. 50,000 population 10x10 embark? Why not?

I can see the headlines now: "Internet-based systems globally collapsed yesterday, the cause is being traced to a previously unknown hacker, 'Urist McUrist"

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The newest DFHack dropped yesterday and it's got some great stuff.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That notification popup is worth it alone, but yeah, there's some really nice stuff this update.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I've been playing all week and have not left legends mode.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just had a dwarf join the merchants. Is this new? I've never seen it before.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

:siren::siren::siren: Adventure mode open beta coming April 17th!:siren::siren::siren:

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Maybe my 5,000 year world will finish worldgen before then.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aero737 posted:

Maybe my 5,000 year world will finish worldgen before then.

Will the forgotten beasts have a space program by then?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Will anyone have remembered them by then?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All dead and the world is entirely Goblins or Elves. The curse of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You might not like it, but it turns out peak dwarf performance actually looks like elf.