Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lowen posted:

What. In what way does Rimworld make _any_ money from Dwarf Fortress' reputation?
You mean other than the example I gave just a few posts above, where very first time anyone ever heard about Rimworld, was from self-promotion in Tynans first post on the Bay12 forums?
Because Rimworld gets brought up all the time when Dwarf Fortress is talked about, which I think says just about all that's needed to say.

If that wasn't enough, it is "a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune" according to the very first paragraph the Steam page.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I wouldn't mind a Rimworld dwarf fortress mod that lets me sell my dwarfs organs to the trader and grow fields of space weed
Dwarf Fortress has a whole system for simulating ethics, and one of the hallmarks of dorfs is that they treat slavery, most forms of killing as well as treason and oathbreaking as capital punishment, and eating sapients and torturing anything as unthinkable.
This is in stark contrast to Rimworld, which has a very lax approach to ethics.

I don't think they'd be super happy about organ harvesting, considering a dorf isn't buried until all of their teeth are in their tomb.
Besides, dorfs need a varied supply of alcohol to live. Isn't that enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That said I just watched Tarn Adams playing a dwarf in adventure mode pinch a goblins guts in half and toss them at another goblin

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

That said I just watched Tarn Adams playing a dwarf in adventure mode pinch a goblins guts in half and toss them at another goblin
All’s fair in love and war.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The main thing I know about Rimworld is that a few years back all female characters and no male characters were bisexual and the creator swore this was an accurate depiction of reality.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You mean other than the example I gave just a few posts above, where very first time anyone ever heard about Rimworld, was from self-promotion in Tynans first post on the Bay12 forums?
Because Rimworld gets brought up all the time when Dwarf Fortress is talked about, which I think says just about all that's needed to say.

Dwarf Fortress has a whole system for simulating ethics, and one of the hallmarks of dorfs is that they treat slavery, most forms of killing as well as treason and oathbreaking as capital punishment, and eating sapients and torturing anything as unthinkable.
This is in stark contrast to Rimworld, which has a very lax approach to ethics.

I don't think they'd be super happy about organ harvesting, considering a dorf isn't buried until all of their teeth are in their tomb.
Besides, dorfs need a varied supply of alcohol to live. Isn't that enough?

I think the word simulating is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. Most of the things listed there are things a player is literally unable to do, it's mostly just limiting what events can occur during world gen. Like I'm pretty sure even a fell mood dwarf making an artifact out of a dwarf skeleton only generates a crime from the murder part and not the "Making a trophy from a corpse of the same race" part. I also never saw my elven bards and monster hunters having much of an issue with all the my butchery and bone crafting in my Fortress despite that list saying elves should feel that way (unless being a permanent resident changes an individuals ethics, but that would just demonstrate how little is actually being simulated). Sure elven traders get mad if I sell them certain stuff and and the diplomats require me to not cut down a purely arbitrary amount of trees, but that's clearly not the emergent outcome of a complicated ethics simulation.

Rimworld's ideological DLC meanwhile allows a player to create a much more nuanced version of that list for their colony which also opens up new gameplay options, impacts to diplomacy with neighbours, etc. I haven't played it myself (I'm a few dlcs behind) but watching streamers all I could think was how much I wish this kind of thing was possible in Dwarf Fortress. The eventual gods and magic systems will hopefully end up with a similar sort of thing as rimworld religion and psychic/cybernetic dlcs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Glimpse posted:

The main thing I know about Rimworld is that a few years back all female characters and no male characters were bisexual and the creator swore this was an accurate depiction of reality.

This is the bit that people always bring up but the stuff with the ages was just as weird to me imo.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is the bit that people always bring up but the stuff with the ages was just as weird to me imo.

agreed but also "no mans bi" was the rimworld thread title for a while so I always chuckle and remember it

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Oof I forgot about that. Did it also have some weird racial stuff too at one point or am I thinking of some other game? (I'm 99% sure I'm thinking of another game)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FurtherReading posted:

Oof I forgot about that. Did it also have some weird racial stuff too at one point or am I thinking of some other game? (I'm 99% sure I'm thinking of another game)

Another game, almost certainly. Rimworld only had humans for quite a while and skin color was entirely cosmetic.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Another game, almost certainly. Rimworld only had humans for quite a while and skin color was entirely cosmetic.

Ah yeah I suspected as much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hot take: I prefer Rimworld to DF. I applaud DF's greater ambition, and enjoyed both games, but I got way more hours out of Rimworld, and would be more likely to jump back into it than DF. Both games are fairly easy to break once you understand their systems, but at least breaking Rimworld felt more intuitive to me. Breaking DF to me feels more like breaking an old-school trad roguelike like ADOM, where you do it through esoteric knowledge and weird exploits you learn by reading guidebooks, which leads to (honestly) stupid poo poo like mist machines, or spending tedious hours building pump stacks (or messing with worldgen options to get a playable volcano embark) whereas Rimworld being more accessible means you can reasonably figure out things like killboxes yourself. DF being so obtuse means you're much more likely to be exposed to esoteric gamebreaking tricks too, because you're basically forced to do research online right from the get-go just to learn how to do basic poo poo in the first place. Rimworld I could just jump in and muddle around and have fun and lose a few times before I felt like looking things up and learning to optimise.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 28, 2024

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Nessus posted:

I believe there are a number of people who, historically, were interested in DF but found its graphical interface and menu system forbidding. This is greatly diminished by the Steam release if certainly not wholly removed. Rimworld has a similar gameplay flow and is even more forward on narrative/character stuff, but is more straightforward to learn, and (based on my attempts to play it before losing interest and returning to the mountainhomes) harder to have a situation where things abruptly collapsed for reasons that are not clear.

And - in theoretical terms, mind you - some people might be less into the whole dwarf fantasy.

Sure, but in that case they're buying Rimworld because it's Rimworld. Not because of Dwarf Fortress's reputation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If that wasn't enough, it is "a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune" according to the very first paragraph the Steam page.

Nah.

For a long time the DF devs weren't even trying to be commercially successful at all.
They didn't even care to sell their game until recently, and instead lived on donations. They still give away the old version of the game for free.
DF was never designed with concepts like marketability or UI in mind. At least not until recently as part of the sales push.

So why do you even care enough to make bitter sounding posts about the relatively low sales compared to a different game? If the devs didn't care to even sell their game for the majority of the dev time, why do you care enough to compare the sales against a different game now?

Rimworld, on the other hand, was designed from the beginning to be a marketable, accessible game. It's also been for sale on Steam since 2018, compared to DFs commercial release last year.
Given the above 5 lines, it's not plausible that Rimworld's relative commercial success is due to Dwarf Fortress's reputation.
You could just as well credit the success of DF's sales last year on Rimworld's Reputation. Rimworld was on the store for longer, after all. And it's a more accessible game, so it might have got more people into the genre and willing to try out DF for $30.

I'm not saying I agree with that, it's just that I think it's more plausible than the other way around.

DF and RW are similar games in the same game genre, so people are going to chat about them together.
They're still very different games, deliberately so.
There's really no cause to accuse one of leeching the success of the other.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dwarf Fortress is art, Rimworld is Pepsi

Nods sagely. This is a smart post I wrote.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dwarf Fortress is art,

dwarf FARTress lol, lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wafflecopper posted:

dwarf FARTress lol, lmao

grr... im so mad... i am going to beat you up!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Stuff with the ages?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zereth posted:

Stuff with the ages?

Women prefered older partners and guys prefered younger. Also het women rarely instigated romances compared to like everyone else.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Women prefered older partners and guys prefered younger. Also het women rarely instigated romances compared to like everyone else.

Wtf, is this still a thing in the game or has this been amended?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lmao, holy poo poo I had no idea things got that bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah things got very biotruthy stemlord for awhile

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
After briefly playing the game before it came out on Steam I decided to fund the lunatics making it and paid actual money.

So far so good. My steel production is slowly coming online but not quite meeting demand. I think I have fixed the odd armour bugs I was having with gloves and boots. Now it's time to dig for magma so I can really ramp things up. Dwarves digging deep has never led to any issues in any form of media ever so I'm feeling pretty good about my plan.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

I honestly think this general vibe from the dev is at the heart of any DF/RW discontent and the respective earnings of the games are much more of a proxy debate.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I'm playing the steam version in anticipation of the adventure mode release, and there's still a few things that are missing right?

Like I can't seem to figure out how to see information about performances, I feel like that used to be essentially a combat log that was like "X is performing the -foo- dance style, it blah blah blah blah" and similarly it seems like you can't really get information about the gods your dwarves worship from the relationship screen anymore?

Is he still working on adding some of that functionality from the old version or have they decided to nix some things to simplify the fortress game mode?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I'm playing the steam version in anticipation of the adventure mode release, and there's still a few things that are missing right?

Like I can't seem to figure out how to see information about performances, I feel like that used to be essentially a combat log that was like "X is performing the -foo- dance style, it blah blah blah blah" and similarly it seems like you can't really get information about the gods your dwarves worship from the relationship screen anymore?

Is he still working on adding some of that functionality from the old version or have they decided to nix some things to simplify the fortress game mode?

Most of what is missing is due to lack of time to finish implementing it rather than trying to purposefully simplify the game.

I get the feeling that Tarn really wants to get working on the procedural magic system and a lot of this kinda thing is delegated to Putnam. Her main task for the last year was getting multithreading sorted along with other performance improvements which was a godsend.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I like both DF and Rimworld for different reasons but one of the main reasons I keep going back to DF is that there's no tech tree unlock. I always hated in Rimworld/similar games where you just need to have someone sit at a table for 4000000 hours to grind out stuff and eventually you can get everything neat in the game. Mind you, I do get that Rimworld is a game while DF is art, but I just hate that cycle.

DF has a much more refreshing feeling of "welp if you want cloth, here's a bunch of stuff to set up your industry. Have fun!" I'm pretty sure the reading/researching skills are going to change that slightly but I doubt that it's going to feel like as much of a drag as the Rimworld research.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jyrraeth posted:

I like both DF and Rimworld for different reasons but one of the main reasons I keep going back to DF is that there's no tech tree unlock. I always hated in Rimworld/similar games where you just need to have someone sit at a table for 4000000 hours to grind out stuff and eventually you can get everything neat in the game. Mind you, I do get that Rimworld is a game while DF is art, but I just hate that cycle.

DF has a much more refreshing feeling of "welp if you want cloth, here's a bunch of stuff to set up your industry. Have fun!" I'm pretty sure the reading/researching skills are going to change that slightly but I doubt that it's going to feel like as much of a drag as the Rimworld research.
I would legitimately think it was cool if there was some 'tech' stuff you could unlock but I honestly don't think it would contribute a lot unless it was like obscure/project stuff.

Or magic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my personal take on the biggest thing missing from dwarf fortress is something worth trading all your accumulated wealth for. Magic might fill that role. If a sick magic sword costs a million dwarfbux, that's a good reason to want to be rich

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

my personal take on the biggest thing missing from dwarf fortress is something worth trading all your accumulated wealth for. Magic might fill that role. If a sick magic sword costs a million dwarfbux, that's a good reason to want to be rich
It would also be cool if I could like, export things to locations and they'd benefit from them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

This is an excellent point.

In Dwarf Fortress, the difficulty of the game comes primarily from the lack of player knowledge - as you learn to play the game, it becomes easier.
Rimworld, meanwhile, gates your ability to play the game by some artificial means, that doesn't add anything fun as it's just a matter of running the game for longer.

Nessus posted:

I would legitimately think it was cool if there was some 'tech' stuff you could unlock but I honestly don't think it would contribute a lot unless it was like obscure/project stuff.

Or magic.
I fear it'll destroy the appeal of the game to a lot of its older players if it does end up adding a skill tree; it's certainly an idea I'm not fond of - but maybe that's because I can't imagine it being done well, based on past experience. It's possible the brothers Adams can make it work?

Also, we're getting (myths and) magic; it's the first thing on the upcoming development section on the Bay12 development page.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 28, 2024

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Nessus posted:

Or magic.

I like the idea of researching things like magic or something additional like that. Having the pro being "cool magic poo poo" and the cons being "could have some horrid disaster" instead of the rimworld-like of "one of your pawns are unable to do other tasks".

And since I'm phone posting, I also like having magic be a good wealth dump. Set up a magic guild and have them request 100,000 coins so they can buy reagents and snake oil from the poorly disguised demon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There already is a little low-key tech development in the game - if you start a world before about 150 years on, your dorfs may not know what a high boot is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the game adds inventions, they should presumably be rare enough that many forts won't see even one. After all, the game is supposed to model a world that continues for centuries, that you repeatedly play in.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

It would also be cool if I could like, export things to locations and they'd benefit from them.
Things and knowledge, yeah. If my dwarfs can learn to domesticate elk birds or the like, I should be able to send them to the mountainhome and buy elk birds in my next fortress.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

It would be very funny if Tarn added an inventions mechanic, and the only possibility was inventing the high boot (and obviously starting "The Age of The High Boot")

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

If the game adds inventions, they should presumably be rare enough that many forts won't see even one. After all, the game is supposed to model a world that continues for centuries, that you repeatedly play in.
I imagine it's something that could happen randomly but if you wanted to try to get them you have to set up the libraries and the engineering spaces and so on. And there's no guarantee you're going to get something useful (high boot, dwarven longsword) vs. either another randomized musical instrument or some kind of "now you can cut glass lenses, which are worth as much as semi-precious gems"

though that latter one would be pretty strong if you think about it.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I really like building libraries and reading the random poo poo my dwarves come up with, so having magic, inventions or whatever else as a byproduct would be just gravy. Let my dwarves create a spell that dries your left glove, or invent even shorter swords, I'll take anything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tynan pulled these ideas mainly from OkCupid developer statistic blog posts iirc. Not to say he didn't earnestly believe them, he absolutely did. But he based it on ~~data~~ because he's a libertarian

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I put 600 hours into Rimworld. It's very boring unmodded. Tynan's extensive modding support is to be commended, he made something more moddable than DF, by far. Single best feature of the game because it allows all the other features to be endlessly improved and customized.

It otherwise doesn't hold a candle to DF, though. Very shallow. I got bored of it and thought the DLCs were stupid, and I'll probably never go back.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I welcome magic being added so long as it produces entirely unpredictable and potentially chaotic results akin to wand generation in noita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A noita moves into your fort and then its just a hole in the ground.