Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ChickenWing posted:

I read somewhere that Adventure Mode is actually Tarn's preferred way to play and the whole point of DF was for him to create this cool world simulator that he could build huge fortresses full of traps and treasure and whatnot in, and then go explore

This may have been a fever dream but it also wouldn't surprise me

DF was originally supposed to be something you played to get a high score on and then explored with your adventurer, yes. The model was based on arcade games that Tarn liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Is the new music also in fortress mode?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Valtonen posted:

Is the new music also in fortress mode?

IIRC Kitfox said it wouldn't be, at first, but eventually. Mind, they also said the new portraits wouldn't be in fort mode for the beta, so things are moving quickly

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Toady posted an update on Bay12, including a list of things not in the beta that are intended for the proper release

quote:

We posted an Adventure mode beta over on Steam. There are lots of good bits to it but some missing bits as well, so we're slowing rolling it out this time, while still letting more people test it out and have some fun. A lot of the Adventure mode experience is there. You can currently, in the released beta, create a party in character generation, visit your old forts, retire, unretire, get NPC companions, take quests, fight monsters with the various melee/wrestling/ranged options, set fires, tell stories, and travel the world. Portraits are available for dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds (minus some clothing variations), animal people (no items), and necromancer experiments (no items). These portraits are in both modes.

So there's fun to be had, but there's quite a bit more to do before we'll do the full launch. Non-exhaustively:

Clean up the big crash issues etc.
Quest log / information screen
Butchering and crafting
Ability use, from necromancy to pet animal to spit
Composing
Motion/attack indicators
Building interactions (levers, doors, etc.)
Wrestle button
Stealth vision arcs
Better UI for stuff like going through hatches over ramps
Some other info like movement speed / encumbrance
Tracking / odor / weather / light / time etc. information
Some travel map stuff like visible armies and zooming and highlights
Minimap / map memory
Trading and bartering (and the town shops being generally a mess)
Assuming false identities
Full personality customization in chargen
Graphics and audio that didn't make it in for the initial beta release
Get Classic conversions for the new buttons etc.
The new stuff: chosen mode with deities, town improvements, dungeon improvements, healing options, and so forth

As we mentioned before, cabin building is a larger interface project, so that'll come with the update after the full launch.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
At the moment the most critical absence is the lack of trade, particularly because there's still shops generated in the world full of items for sale that you can't buy, and you can find piles of coins in bandit camps to steal which currently can't be used for anything except as weapons.

I suppose you could retire a fort, loot a bunch of coins from goblin camps with an adventurer, retire the adventurer in the fort, and then unretire the fort to build up a big stockpile of looted coins.

e: on the other hand,

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 19, 2024

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Mister Bates posted:

At the moment the most critical absence is the lack of trade, particularly because there's still shops generated in the world full of items for sale that you can't buy, and you can find piles of coins in bandit camps to steal which currently can't be used for anything except as weapons.

I suppose you could retire a fort, loot a bunch of coins from goblin camps with an adventurer, retire the adventurer in the fort, and then unretire the fort to build up a big stockpile of looted coins.

e: on the other hand,

So at this point, if I wanted to adventure mode wander around one of my forts, I have to retire the fort first? I've never done that before...but it is also possible to unretire a fort if I want to continue building it in fortress mode after the adventure mode exploring?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

TracerBullet posted:

So at this point, if I wanted to adventure mode wander around one of my forts, I have to retire the fort first? I've never done that before...but it is also possible to unretire a fort if I want to continue building it in fortress mode after the adventure mode exploring?

Yeah, absolutely, you can reclaim or unretire a fort. But it's Dwarf Fortress, so be aware there's a whole bunch of jank involved when you reclaim a fortress, like stockpiles being hosed up and furniture uninstalled. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Reclaim_fortress_mode

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
In practice I mostly use retiring as an end-state, an alternative way of calling a fortress 'done'. It is very possible to get a fort into a state where it's basically impossible to destroy unless you as a player deliberately gently caress it up, and there isn't much left you want to do with it (or maybe it's become so large that FPS death is becoming an issue). When I get to that point I'll often retire it and then start a new fort in the same world, gradually building up a whole network of settlements that way. It's especially satisfying to do it to a civ that was on the brink of extinction, building it back up and ensuring it survives.

There's enough jank to unretiring that it requires some pre-planning if you intend to come back to it, e.g. making sure there are no pending constructions in progress when you retire it, but it's definitely viable to retire, start an adventurer playthrough - or even a different fort! - and come back to play that fort again later. If you retire your adventurer in the fort they'll even still be living there when you come back to play it in fort mode, and can be treated like any other citizen.

In theory you could do quite a bit with this, such as, for example, making a very basic and functional fort, retiring it, and then retiring a bunch of adventurers there to build up a population of uber-elite badasses or acquire a bunch of books/artifacts for the young fortress, then unretiring and playing from there. Conversely, you could also use the retired fortress to benefit an adventurer - have the fort make a bunch of high-quality weapons and armor, store them, and then retire it, so your adventurer can come in and grab them and be extremely well equipped right out of the gate.

That having been said, there's not really a ton for your adventurer to do in an active fort - you can talk to people, perform music in the tavern, give sermons in the temples, read books in the library, etc., and that can be kind of neat, and you can get rumors and quests from it the same as any other settlement in the world, but for the most part people are just going to be hanging out and living their lives without many options for interactivity unless you want to start murdering people. I think you could in theory start as a fortress guard of your retired fortress, or work your way up to one by building your rep there, and that would give the game some structure because you're being sent out on tasks by the captain of the guard

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The one feature I'd really like is the ability to arbitrarily put the world back into worldgen mode. Then you could play a fortress, dole out some custom names, and come back 200 years later to see how/what they did. It feels like Legends mode should have an option to do that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt the world outside your fortress simulated anyway? Couldnt you just make a completely sealed vampire/necromancer/werebeast tomb fort and let the game run overnight or something.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I imagine the megabeast count in a world goes down a lot in the few years or decades a player run fort is going, even if only from them fighting each other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the world enters the era of the invisible cavern dwellers

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I still have yet to find a book as good as the Wizard's Guide to Self control, but this is a pretty ok contender for a sequel.

It concerns. :iit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's the best way to get into a good (reasonably winnable) fight in adventure mode? I used to play a lot a loooong time ago but I've been having trouble getting in trouble other than just attacking people in the starting area.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

a7m2 posted:

What's the best way to get into a good (reasonably winnable) fight in adventure mode? I used to play a lot a loooong time ago but I've been having trouble getting in trouble other than just attacking people in the starting area.

Bandit camps are good as an early challenge if you don't want to wrestle random woodland creatures.

Kobold camps are generally fairly easy, with the caveat that their arrows are as lethal as anyone's, while bandit groups composed of other species can pose more of a challenge while still being realistically winnable.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Bandit camps are good as an early challenge if you don't want to wrestle random woodland creatures.

Kobold camps are generally fairly easy, with the caveat that their arrows are as lethal as anyone's, while bandit groups composed of other species can pose more of a challenge while still being realistically winnable.

Thanks! How do I find them?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Thanks! How do I find them?

Asking for rumors might point you in the direction of one (if someone mentions 'bandits'), and you can also see them on the worldmap as a little icon of three tents (if you're playing the Steam version; the icon is different in the old ASCII version; you can see the icons here for visual reference: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Camp). If you're a hearthperson under a lord, your boss might also occasionally point you to one when you ask for a quest from them, by giving you orders to go drive them off.

Not all camps are actually bandit camps, sometimes they'll be refugees or an army or something, so if they don't attack you on sight it might be a good idea to ask them who they are before you start laying into them.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I am very much not fond of the changes to conversations in adventure mode. Before you had your chat window, and you'd chat through dialogue prompts like common in many games. Now you have to select the person again for each time you want to say something in the conversation, select to speak to them, and then what to say. It is annoying and tedious and it has led to an increase in head-falls-off disease wherever adventurers roam in my games, since I have no patience for it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah the way conversations work right now also makes them completely and utterly impossible to follow in any room with more than 2-3 people in it, with the one relevant line of dialogue completely buried in pages upon pages of other unrelated conversations happening nearby

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Has anyone else had this thing where completely nude elves keep coming to your fort holding a book? Is this just what Elfin missionaries are like?

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah the way conversations work right now also makes them completely and utterly impossible to follow in any room with more than 2-3 people in it, with the one relevant line of dialogue completely buried in pages upon pages of other unrelated conversations happening nearby

Fortunately your conversation is bolded, but yeah they could probably do this better. It's nice to be able to overhear rumors, but it does steal too much focus at the moment

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding is that it's been a bug for years and years that visitors are often naked. The steam release just made it more obvious

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Iirc it's something like their clothes rot off and they can't replace them.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Lost a kingsnake man today to a cyclops and am wondering if it may be useful to always bring an edged weapon with you, even if you're not skilled with it. I fought it as a marksdwarf with a couple companions and really, properly hosed it up, then spent a ton of turns just bashing on it until it eventually healed up enough that it was able to regain consciouness and scratch my head off. I feel like if I'd had a copper sword or something I could have hacked its head off rather than just bruising its head muscles with my crossbow

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ChickenWing posted:

Lost a kingsnake man today to a cyclops and am wondering if it may be useful to always bring an edged weapon with you, even if you're not skilled with it. I fought it as a marksdwarf with a couple companions and really, properly hosed it up, then spent a ton of turns just bashing on it until it eventually healed up enough that it was able to regain consciouness and scratch my head off. I feel like if I'd had a copper sword or something I could have hacked its head off rather than just bruising its head muscles with my crossbow

Could have maybe stabbed it in the neck with a bolt.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Warhammer synergizes well as a backup weapon with a crossbow, since bashing things with a crossbow uses hammer skill for some reason

Unless you're playing an adventurer from a race with a really good innate attack (black mamba men for their venom, elephant seal men for their enormous size, etc) and good wrestling/striking/biting skill, you should always carry a backup weapon just because ammo is finite, especially in the beta because you can't buy replacement bolts yet

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 22, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

Warhammer synergizes well as a backup weapon with a crossbow, since bashing things with a crossbow uses hammer skill for some reason

Unless you're playing an adventurer from a race with a really good innate attack (black mamba men for their venom, elephant seal men for their enormous size, etc) and good wrestling/striking/biting skill, you should always carry a backup weapon just because ammo is finite, especially in the beta because you can't buy replacement bolts yet
Can you no longer infinitely pick up rocks off the ground to throw?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
You can, but the bug which caused throwing to be insanely powerful seems to have been fixed, so the average adventurer is no longer going to be shattering bones with handfuls of sand or vomit, or blowing people's heads off by throwing pebbles at them - or at least, in my experience it does not seem to do that anymore. I think it's still viable with the right build, but in general the lethality of throwing seems to have been massively reduced over the years, and it is, for example, no longer more lethal to throw an arrow at someone than to shoot it at them, which it was in earlier versions.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

FurtherReading posted:

Iirc it's something like their clothes rot off and they can't replace them.

it does indeed happen to the best of us. can't judge.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I seem to remember hearing it's because they wear out their clothes in historygen - they can't replace them, but they also don't decay - but when the game loads them into your fort site, it's like they've stepped out of the faerie realm and a hundred years has passed, and their clothes crumble to dust

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wolfechu posted:

I seem to remember hearing it's because they wear out their clothes in historygen - they can't replace them, but they also don't decay - but when the game loads them into your fort site, it's like they've stepped out of the faerie realm and a hundred years has passed, and their clothes crumble to dust

I blame Primark.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This is similar to the problem in earlier versions with outpost liaisons, merchants, and other visitors occasionally instantly dropping dead the moment they arrived at the fortress - people could get their necks severed in worldgen, but there was nothing explicitly saying you needed a neck to live, and worldgen did not take into account the fact that severing the neck would also sever the head, so people would just keep on living like that for decades, until the moment they arrived in your fort, at which point their heads would fall off

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

remember when everyone spent months/years trying to figure out why dwarves were taking so much damage and just gibbing the moment anything got through their defenses and it ended up being that somehow dwarves were accidentally made really tiny.

I think that was also the explanation for weirdness like arrows piercing a dwarfs left eye, their lungs, and then their right eye lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

remember when everyone spent months/years trying to figure out why dwarves were taking so much damage and just gibbing the moment anything got through their defenses and it ended up being that somehow dwarves were accidentally made really tiny.

I think that was also the explanation for weirdness like arrows piercing a dwarfs left eye, their lungs, and then their right eye lol

specifically the problem was that creatures would grow up every 24 hours after they were born, which happened just fine in worldgen but due to simulation timesteps in fortress mode happening every 10 ticks, that moment would be skipped for 90% of dwarves and livestock, who would be born and permanently remain at baby size

that got figured out when some maniac started tracking total blood volume

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 23, 2024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thinking of coming back in (after discovering that the cool embark I had been saving is safe, since I was wrong that adventure mode broke save compatibility). The embark is on a lake, and I thought I'd build out on the water. I want to have stairs connecting the surface structures to the underground. This is an imposing engineering challenge, but I think I know how to do it; it just involves controlled magma. The real question is: is there any way to have the walls around the stairs be made of something other than obsidian? Ideally glass. The problem as I see it is that there's no good way to remove the obsidian walls after you cast them in place. Attempting to dig them out will get your dwarf drowned by the lake. Is there some non-magma solution that produced a more destructible outer wall?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You could make a pillar of obsidian 2 thick, glass the inside, and then channel the obsidian out from above. You can then use pumps to clear the level below enough to get down to those, although you will still probably lose some people to drowning, and I'm not sure it'll work if the lake is super deep.

Hmm.

A pillar 3 thick. You channel out the center tiles, glass the inner ones, and then collapse the final outer ones from underneath somehow so the whole pillar crumbles? I think the pillar doesn't actually crumble, it shunks downwards, so you could possibly even manage it so it blocks up the hole in the bottome of the lake itself?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Collapsing the outer wall from underneath is a good idea! It needs to be a bit bigger, so the obsidian doesn't touch the glass and get supported by it

e: hm... I'm not sure it's possible to safely get the wall to be collapsible. But there's a lot of possibilities to think about

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can collapse it with a pillar and a lever, so you shouldn't lose a dwarf to the collapse, at least.

It'll be a hell of an engineering project for sure.

If the lake has flow coming into it from one side, you could always block the side off, drain the lake, build your pillar, and then remove the top layer of your dam to refill it.

Edit: Would making a dam even work? I assume you would have to make a line of walls across the lake and then flow magma into it, but would the obsidian just floor the space and then stick to the walls, making the dam only one deep? Even just making a pillar sounds like a hassle!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 23, 2024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well the problem isn't the collapse; it's mining out every block that supports it. I'm not precisely sure how support works, and I usually just go overkill with mining everything around the thing I need to collapse. Will the wall be unsupported if I only dig out the blocks below it, or will it be diagonally supported by the lakebed?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hmm, it would be held in place by the lake-bed yeah you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

When you think about it, isn't obsidian just a kind of glass?