Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Masterwork Mod 5.0 posted:

- Added dwarven emigration script: Unhappy dwarves might now pack up and leave. And might take their family/pets with them.
- Default is "litte emigration", but you have 4 choices in the Embassy: No, Little, Moderate and A Lot.
- Emigrating dwarves will turn "friendly" and leave around the time the next caravan will leave. So they might hang around your meeting area for a bit.

I'm almost tempted to try this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Kommando posted:

Bug: Unhappy dwarves abandoning the fortress turn friendly to dwarves civs but turn hostile to visiting civs. Try not to have emigrating dwarves wanting to leave with elves.

I really don't see a downside to this happening?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Turpitude posted:

Thanks for the reply. Half my frustrations with the Military were probably my own lack of patience, and I have gotten around all the other obtuseness in Fortress Mode so I can probably figure the military out if I try a bit more.

The pathing thing is extremely disappointing to me. When it was brought up to Toady on more than one occasion he simply seemed unable to understand the issue which leads me to believe he doesn't even play fortress mode. Has it truly not been fixed in all these years? Sorry for being incredulous.

So if there is going to be a patch soon, can we maybe get Toady to fix the pathing thing immediately after? It's pretty simple, dwarves are (were?) just not taking Z-levels into account when calculating distances for priorities of actions.

Still find it hard to believe that that has never been fixed :(

He obviously plays fortress mode, it would be impossible to test the game otherwise. As for not fixing it, it's only really a big deal if you dig a lot of z-levels below workshops and only place stairs far away from the workshop. Not everyone is going to design fortresses that way.

There are workarounds to the problem using burrows or stockpile feeding: dwarfs will only consider resources within their burrow. Likewise if any stockpile is giving to a workshop, dwarfs will never get resources from anywhere except stockpiles feeding that workshop.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Pickled Tink posted:

Am I the only person having moods breaking? I've had two moods now in two different fortresses where the dwarf is unable to move on to collect their second component for the project. In this case he wants leather and blocks. I have tons of leather and twelve bins full of blocks of all stripes including wooden ones, but when he takes the leather to the workshop he just stands there with it in his inventory hauled, or if he does add it to the workshop, he still just stands there behaving the same way.

I've had one mood work but it only needed a few items.

Then I had another mood that needs a bunch of items, he's gathered 4 of them and is just kind of waiting. I think he would have gathered everything or snapped by now if things were working, yeah.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Roki B posted:

Updated and started playing for the first time in two years

Forgot how much of a hassle it is to move all the boulders to a stockpile to clean up the place. there an easy way to do this I'm forgetting?

Building constructions is a skilless labor now, so you can put all those useless idlers to use, get rid of all those rocks, and put smooth(ish) flooring in your fortress in one move.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Roki B posted:

Ohhhhh, does that end up changing anything about the floor properties? Or its the same as smoothing except it uses up boulders?

Smoothing: only works on natural rock floors and walls, can be engraved
Constructing Floors: works anywhere there isn't already a construction (including over open space), can't be engraved

e: to clarify, don't build floors in your dining room, you really want to smooth them instead so they can be engraved. If you just want to get rid of stone then rough stone floors are great for that, just don't put them in bed/dining/throne/tomb-rooms. Put them in your corridors.

Another option is to build roads, or have a mason make some blocks and build out of those. But again if you just want to get rid of stone you don't want to do this since you get 4 blocks per boulder and it takes a mason and an architect rather than a bunch of skilless people who can just get at it.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2014

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

DarthJeebus posted:

Yea I checked everything, I can't find any good reason why I can't brew. I'm not using any burrows, I have empty barrels and plump helmets in accessible furniture/food stockpiles, I have a brewer (but even if I didn't, I should still be able to queue up the job.)

Edit: Though I did notice this in my Kitchen tab. Pressing b to toggle brew does exactly jack poo poo.

Looks like your raws are broken somehow so that plump helmets aren't brewable.

It's working fine here so I don't think it's a problem with the new version.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The latest update is great. I'm about 2 years in with no technical issues (the initial release was crashing all the time) and have a fort with a bunch of temples, a tavern with some elf poets and goblin dancers, also a little library with some books I bought from caravans. I had one of my dwarfs as a scholar once, who was randomly pondering surgical drainage, but he disappeared under mysterious circumstances and I still haven't found the body.

Dwarfs and guests listen to stories and songs in the tavern, watch dances, go the library and read books, and pray or meditate to their gods in the temples. I can even build temples to the foreign gods my guests worship, though I think they're going to be stuck with the unitarian temple of no particular deity. It works just fine. I've only had elf, human and goblin guests, maybe guests don't come from your civ, or maybe my dwarf civ has a small dwarven population or something.

I'm trying to build or buy a bunch of instruments so that I can see some musical performances as well, though I have no idea what I need. So far I just got a "simulate ___" which I guess means they don't have the right instruments or players.

Elth posted:

Uh, what?

edit:

Oh ok. I hope he petitions so I can emancipate him.

edit2:

Haha, almost immediately, he does.

It's Conan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish bigger creature could pick up smaller ones and use them as throwing projectiles.

All I can imagine is the zombie head shouting incredibly cruel insults at your workers, causing them to run away in tears.

It's Murray!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xLoTXC5fk

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Mad Pills posted:

I made a mess.

The tavern seems to take priority over any other meeting point so even though I am hosting Hydra vs Goblin fights in the arena there are no spectators. :(

solution: host hydra vs goblin fights in your tavern instead.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

scamtank posted:

Yes. You can't build anything that'd instantly collapse on completion.

Note: this is only true when building single tile constructions. The game will totally let you place multi-tile constructions provided they have at least one point of support, and dwarfs will totally build them in the wrong order, causing collapses.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dreggon posted:

i gotta do exploits to start metal industry

what was the thing earlier about masterwork exports causing depression?

It's a bug with the latest version, exporting masterworks counts as "art defacement" and will give the creator an unhappy thought for each masterwork exported.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I tried to Zardoz and this is what I got:

Toady please add giant stone heads as an object and x is vomiting y as an action for .07.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

FalloutGod posted:

Will all this myths stuff not really interest me If I'm a player that never opens up the legends viewer or even acknowledges dwarfs have "personalities"?

Well, I think the idea is for the myths to tie into to a procedurally generated magic system. For example, since the rat and moon was "created with the dwarves" and the universe was created from chaotic fire maybe dwarves will be able to learn magic spells related to fire, rats, the moon, or tides or something. How this ends up working and how relevant that is for dwarf mode remains to be seen.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Alehkhs posted:

In the meantime, here's another glimpse of myth generation that someone snagged off of Twitter:

The Shifting Blood spontaneously formed the dwarves.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ignimbrite posted:

The dwarves smashed the mechanism that is used to guide fate :black101:

Kymon the night creature immediately made another one :argh:.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

No more cheap woodcutting axes exploit:

quote:

05/18/2016 Continued along with bugs. Woodcutters shouldn't use training axes, and you should be able to make metal mechanisms from the job manager. It'll also show the mechanism material in the job's name. Embark profiles should load fish properly instead of cancelling them all. I made dragonfire affect metal items again after a long hiatus, though fire effects in general are still a bit odd. You can now dive in deep water correctly in adventure mode.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

neogeo0823 posted:

How are you guys making statues of deities for temples. I know you can specify exactly what the image of the statue will be, but I can't figure out how to specify a deity.

IIRC they're counted as historical figures.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Met posted:

What purpose do Tavernkeepers and Scholars serve in Fortress mode?

I don't know about Tavernkeepers, but scholars will write you a totally new original book if you give them time to think and supplies.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Shibawanko posted:

I captured another goblin siege in cages. Can people tell me about their favorite prisoner execution methods? I've been using the old 20 level mass pitting death shaft with spikes at the bottom but they just explode on impact and that gets old. I want to do something more droll like feeding my prisoners to a tamed hippo or using them for target practice or something.

-Shallower pit with fortifications at the bottom. They're less likely to explode, more likely to get spiked, and you can shoot any survivors.

-Drowning chamber.

-Water/Lava pit.

-Pit leading to a drowning chamber with spikes, lava, a hippo, and fortifications.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

It's on.

e: new page https://www.twitch.tv/dwarfmoot

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

wargames posted:

So I downloaded the latest lazynewb pack, found an amazing spot to start, i embarked and..... dorfs didn't gather pants or cut down trees, they did mine and build stuff but nothing on the surface. Do training axes no longer work?

Don't know why your dwarfs won't gather plants, any dwarf with herbalists labor on should.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

COMRADES posted:

What I would like to know is more about the mechanics of visitors and dancing. The very first couple forts I started after those updates had dwarves dancing and whatnot and tons of visitors and it was great. Since then, I'm lucky to get more than a few visitors a year and I rarely if ever see any dancing going on. At least mine seem to be writing books/scrolls which is cool.

Tried starting in all kinds of various locations :(

I think the big thing is having enough free and open space for the dance - you'll need an area in the room completely devoid of any obstructions (furniture, etc).

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

If a talking dog was good enough for the Silmarillion, it's good enough for Dwarf Fortress.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The game comes with a square version of the default tileset.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

This is old, but remains my favorite use of the art commissioning tool: http://riesstiu.tumblr.com/post/140293114770/dwarf-fortress-now-lets-you-edit-descriptions-of

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Oh look, The One that is Toad just had a talk on procedurally generated villiany posted on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7TtPX5uhg.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

My first steam fortress "Machinecrypts" died - ran for about 13 hours of play, late summer year 103.

A bronze colossus started rampaging. I was content to let it kill the occasional pasture animal or dwarf baby because I thought I had my fort all sealed up.
It also attacked the visiting human caravan and won handedly.

Unfortunately there was a hole in my entrance fortifications I didn't spot. So the colossus just got in. My militia fought, but as basically just random soldiers that joined via my tavern. They all died defending the entryway.

There was nothing I could do but draft everyone and see if together they could take it down.
That didn't work. Someone did manage to get it to fall in the river. I thought that might have been at least neutralized, but it managed to climb out and continued pulping heads.
Eventually I expelled everyone I could. Some managed to get away.

The colossus started with garbage stats and by the end was tough strong and agile. It didn't take a single hit.

It's not possible to expel nobles, so after all but a few rando visitors had left or died, my mayor fought the monster 1v1 and was extremely stomped.

I didn't really keep track of who survived and who didn't, but I hope the legendary weaponsmith that migrated in, got out.

Gangtag please?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

thunderspanks posted:

So, I wonder if in that little update yesterday, cage traps were changed. On wednesday I set up the standard winding entrance corridor filled with them and broke a couple of goblin sieges. Suddenly as of last night, they're 100% ineffective in this role, except for the goddamn bronze colossus I caught.

I *think* invaders are supposed to notice traps and eventually not trigger them.
I'm not sure though, and the wiki doesn't seem to say anything like that.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

ChickenWing posted:

opinion time, goons: what sort of worldgen settings and embark would you consider "standard difficulty" - i.e. no training wheels, but no challenges above and beyond the "typical" DF experience. Obviously turning down mineral occurrence is a key one, but I've also seen it mentioned that the right amount is somewhere between Rare and Sparse and best tuned with the advanced generation parameters

Difficulty depends less on worldgen gettings and more on where you embark (evil biomes, near necromancers, etc, are harder), and playing by self enforced rules to stop you from breaking the game.

For example, enemies can't mine, tunnel, or destroy constructions at all, so creating an impossible to break defense is very easy once you learn what you need to do.
So to make the game at least somewhat challenging, you might make a rule that you need to deliberately make your fort vulnerable to building destroyers.

e: I would consider standard difficulty a standard embark (so no evil biomes and not near necromancers) and just come up with the rules as you discover the cheese stats, then immediately enforce them.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 26, 2024

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Tynan hasn't made much more money on Dwarf Fortress' reputation ...

What. In what way does Rimworld make _any_ money from Dwarf Fortress' reputation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Nessus posted:

I believe there are a number of people who, historically, were interested in DF but found its graphical interface and menu system forbidding. This is greatly diminished by the Steam release if certainly not wholly removed. Rimworld has a similar gameplay flow and is even more forward on narrative/character stuff, but is more straightforward to learn, and (based on my attempts to play it before losing interest and returning to the mountainhomes) harder to have a situation where things abruptly collapsed for reasons that are not clear.

And - in theoretical terms, mind you - some people might be less into the whole dwarf fantasy.

Sure, but in that case they're buying Rimworld because it's Rimworld. Not because of Dwarf Fortress's reputation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You mean other than the example I gave just a few posts above, where very first time anyone ever heard about Rimworld, was from self-promotion in Tynans first post on the Bay12 forums?
Because Rimworld gets brought up all the time when Dwarf Fortress is talked about, which I think says just about all that's needed to say.

If that wasn't enough, it is "a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune" according to the very first paragraph the Steam page.

Nah.

For a long time the DF devs weren't even trying to be commercially successful at all.
They didn't even care to sell their game until recently, and instead lived on donations. They still give away the old version of the game for free.
DF was never designed with concepts like marketability or UI in mind. At least not until recently as part of the sales push.

So why do you even care enough to make bitter sounding posts about the relatively low sales compared to a different game? If the devs didn't care to even sell their game for the majority of the dev time, why do you care enough to compare the sales against a different game now?

Rimworld, on the other hand, was designed from the beginning to be a marketable, accessible game. It's also been for sale on Steam since 2018, compared to DFs commercial release last year.
Given the above 5 lines, it's not plausible that Rimworld's relative commercial success is due to Dwarf Fortress's reputation.
You could just as well credit the success of DF's sales last year on Rimworld's Reputation. Rimworld was on the store for longer, after all. And it's a more accessible game, so it might have got more people into the genre and willing to try out DF for $30.

I'm not saying I agree with that, it's just that I think it's more plausible than the other way around.

DF and RW are similar games in the same game genre, so people are going to chat about them together.
They're still very different games, deliberately so.
There's really no cause to accuse one of leeching the success of the other.