Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Well, you also need ironbone, which is iron forged from the bones of your enemies. It's mostly there for orcs and warlocks, though dwarves can also make it if they feel so inclined.

It originated with Kobolds as they can't mine stone/ore at all.

Does anyone know if Kobolds still have the issue of tantrum spirals due to being unable to wear/create footwear of any kind? That issue persisted through many many releases without ever being fixed... it was annoying play a game for an hour only to realize I forgot to add some sandals to their raws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Master Chef: Dwarf Fortress

Can't wait to have my dwarves attacked by Turnip Men!

Really though, does this mean that the fantasy flora is going away? Mushrooms don't work in real life like they do in this game, so he can't completely get away from it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

So, yeah, you can use lava pumps. Or you can channel out a network you want the lava to flow through, tunnel to one square away from the lava, and then send some reasonably spare idiot to turn the wall into fortifications. S/he's got a chance of survival, and while the lava will come through the arrow slits, critters won't. This has the benefit of being much quicker and simpler than pumps, and only moderately lethal.

If you make the last mined/fortified tile a diagonal they'll get away 100% of the time as liquid takes longer to travel diagonally for some reason.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

texasmed posted:

I suppose this time of the decade is a little bit of a slow point for Dwarf Fortress, while everything catches up with the updates?

Yep. When the game gets updated on a weekly basis like this it's kind of pointless to keep starting new forts.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this game, but I now have a 1440p monitor instead of the 1080p one I was using before, and the tiles were already giving me slight eyestrain. I haven't checked the forums, are there larger graphical tilesets now? Something like.. I don't know, 24 or 32pix or even larger? I was using Phoebus before but it's only 16x16 and doesn't look like it's being updated anymore either.

You can zoom in and make the tiles as large as you want with the mousewheel

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I haven't actually played Dwarf Fortress in over a year, but it is normal to have like 30 elf visitors hanging out at my wagon 5 minutes after I've started a new fort? I'm not anywhere near an elf retreat from what I can tell.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Did anyone get a use out of raiding yet?

I used it to steal a bunch of books for my library. I don't really understand how it works, as I kept sending out a group of 4 dwarves that had nothing but wooden shields and bronze swords and they seemed to have no trouble bringing back the book every time.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Granite 15, 197
Found building with many books, demanded ransom

Received tiny card with squad leaders name on it, given book on loan.

Bards will sing of our victory.

Cue the siege to retrieve an overdue library book. Seems plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Farms need to be abstracted into workshop-type things so each individual tile isn't a plant. That way you could require huge fields that require a lot of work, but your dwarves would actually be able to finish planting the whole thing before half of it was ready for harvest.

Alternatively I guess you could just make it so that each seed only yields 1 plant and each plant only yields 1 or 2 seeds, and just require that your society (realistically) be mostly made up of farmers.