Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
Today, I had eight swordsdwarves and twelve (!) war animals chase a great bull around the map in a very Benny Hill-esque fashion, with the bull stopping every now and then to gore a dwarf before running away yet again. The combat AI is not the most brilliant thing ever, sometimes. I had to DF Hack the bovine bastard to death in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Guess who followed the ideal armor list found earlier in this thread and forgot to add shields? It took me forever to figure out why my dwarfs kept getting their hands hurt in otherwise easy fights. On that note, the difference between novice weapondwarves/recruits and those that are at least proficient fighters with some weapondwarf skills is huge. The recruits seem to die in droves while the trained ones can hack bobcats, dire lions and frogmen apart all day.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there a reason every world I generate has tons of ONE kind of ore and gems, but nothing else? Last three worlds have been like this no matter where I embark.

I've tried messing with the mineral scarcity settings because I've heard that extremely low values cause issues, but even at the default values and higher I'm running into this.

For example, the last world I genned had a site with five z levels of nothing but gypsum and fire agate in conglomerate.

Similarly, I can never seem to find hematite at my embark sites, even when I use the prospect feature in DFHack.It's all malachite and cassiterite.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Twelve years of my fortress. Kids are finally growing up to be pump operators. So proud. :qq:

Anyone have a lot of fortress experience? I was wondering if it was sensible to kill off children with terrible stats while they were young rather than have them sponge up resources for 12 years and grow into worthless adults? Or can enough training make even the most miserable geek into a passable citizen?

Even low stat dwarves are capable of hauling, pulling dangerous levers or eating a first volley of invader arrows.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Kayle7 posted:

Just got the latest masterwork release and it's great. But one thing, is living stone bugged? I can't seem to get any actual living stone to come out of mining. Even the "fun" stuff isn't there!

You need to have the extra ! FUN! option enabled, I think?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Leal posted:

Removes them and the need to research the advance buildings. Want to make a magma crucible right out of the gate without having to spend time gathering the building materials, researching it, wait through each step hoping that you don't just fail and lose everything and have to either research again or mess with the library to make copy of the blueprints to make a second one? Now you can.

The best thing about removing research is that it lessens or eliminates any need to acquire exotic crap like spring steel bars.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

AXE COP posted:

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

I love fastdwarf since my playing time is limited, but it bothers me that it pretty much makes dwarves invincible on combat. They are too fast for enemies to keep up with, both in terms of movement speed and in terms of how fast they swing.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Just tell yourself that your dwarves are the ubermensch and the fort you're setting up is actually a colony for supers.

But my poor chief medical dwarf and his assistants have nothing to do :( I suppose I could try increasing enemy combat skills in the Masterwork launcher?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Boing posted:

It'll be better in the next patch where movement speed and combat speed are dissociated.

Oh sweet. I don't like watching my dwarves trundle after wildlife all day, but I don't want them to be combat gods either.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

KERNOD WEL posted:

Is there a way to go back and see the characteristics of a embark after you have already embarked? I could have sworn that my current fort had flux stone but i've been mining like crazy with no luck yet.

You could also use tiletypes to paint a bunch of flux if you don't want to redo the embark.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe Toady is considering adding more fluid dynamics, like displacement of water due to the volume of bodies in it?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

:spergin:

Muscle density is around 1.06gml and fat is 0.9g/ml whereas water is - obviously - 1g/ml.

So yeah, how much fat and muscle is a single dwarf?

It should vary, given stats like strength and size/height. Dwarves bodybuilding contests in DF 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

The piercing bolts are also comically overpowered in Masterwork. The copper ones would go straight through elven mithril root armor like it was nothing.