Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New thread! Nice OP.

My elaborate magma trap just killed three of my legendary military dwarves when they chased some goblins into the kill area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

Like will they go through the wall from outside into the dirt doom:

It doesn't matter what material the wall is, they can't get through it.

If you build it from the 'b' menu, they can wreck it (with some exceptions). That means doors won't work, but a raised bridge will.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't hurt to link to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Graphics_set_repository at least, so people can see that there are options available.

There's tilesets that are just the ASCII graphics but 10x10 or 12x12 for example.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure the combat info just shows the last layer to be penetrated.

I have had dwarves survive with a bruised outer brain and broken skull, not often but it happens.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best is when a dwarf just makes an artifact adamantine cloak.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
here's what I do in that situation:
code:
slayrace dog
slayrace cat
go to 'z' menu, go to corpses, dump them all, go to remains and do the same
autodump destroy
then to fix the clothes scattered everywhere do:

code:
cleanowned scattered
autodump destroy
You should also close up any old mining shafts and such, the more tiles that are able to be pathed to, the more calculations the pathing takes.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Apoffys posted:

Speaking of FPS and path-finding, is there some definitive answer to how much fort layout affects FPS and which layouts work best?

My (poor) understanding of the path-finding algorithm is that it's best to have short, straight paths on a single z-level (apparently stairs are terrible). On that assumption, I tried putting almost everything on a single open level, surrounded by stockpiles, but it didn't work all that well (125-200 fps at the moment, with 114 dwarves). It's hard to say how that compares to my usual forts though, as I haven't done much testing. In any case much of the FPS-loss is probably because I opened up the first cavern and have way too much crap...

The way the pathing works is that dwarves look at all possible ways to get to a destination, then pick the fastest one.

If you've just got a big open space like that, there's a bunch of different possible paths to various stockpiles, versus just having a 1-tile wide hallway to each location. You basically want to reduce the amount of mined out tiles as much as possible while still allowing for nice aesthetics depending on how you like it - my hallways are usually 3 tiles wide.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Apoffys posted:

Ok, I must have misunderstood then. I looked at a few examples of A* (apparently the algorithm used in DF) and it seemed like it would take a straight path if possible without considering all other paths.

I had a post explaining a bit more before I found this thread and I think it does a better job than I did:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128855.0

but basically you're right that it takes the shortest path if possible, but it still has to search all nearby accessible tiles and their traffic weight to determine the shortest path before it can take it.

I also found this tool which is interesting to play around with:
http://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/

I'm not sure which heuristic DF uses though (I want to say either Manhattan or Euclidean), or how toady has modified the A* code for his own use.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Although if you still have that fort saved I'd be interested to see the effects of traffic designations; keep it a big open area and instead of walls use a bunch of restricted traffic designations and see how that changes the FPS.

As an aside you guys should totally use minecarts to power quantum stockpiles. I have 1000 stones in 1 tile it's great.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Is there any material added by the masterwork mod that is better than adamantine for the purpose of making weapons/armor?

Mithril is about as good as steel and lighter, orichalcum is similar to adamantine but not as good. There's still nothing better than adamantine.

Orichalcum is easy to get though, just smelt a bunch of stuff. Any smelting reaction (except for melting items I think) has about a 1% chance to also produce an orichalcum bar.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure it's Masterwork; it reduces the amount of time it takes for dwarves to mature to adulthood because some people were tired of kids mucking about doing nothing for years on end I think.

You can change it by going into the raws and editing the time it takes to mature under the Dwarf entity but I think you'd need to gen a new world.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 19, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to travel to other dwarf settlements through the caverns, and caravans going through there also.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Master Chef: Dwarf Fortress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They won't go to the hospital just for an infection (I'm fairly sure), but it might heal on its own eventually. There's also a decent chance it will kill them.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to get a fortress started, train up a dwarf and equip him or her with the best gear I can, and then take that dwarf adventuring.

If you want to do that, use DFhack:

1. Put the cursor over the dwarf (or other entity) you want to control. This is important because everything will go black in a second.
2. type 'mode set' in DFhack, then change to adventure mode (type in '1' and hit enter)
3. type 'dfusion', type 2 to get to adventure tools, then 2 again to change adventurer to whatever is at your cursor
4. Back in the game, hit ESC and then you should be able to rest or retire as a peasant. Do that, then save the game (might want to make a copy of your savefile for this).

You should now be able to start a new adventurer game in your world, and select the retired character and start playing as him. You might also want to type in 'lair' at some point or everything in your fortress will scatter all over the place. As far as I can tell your fortress still runs in the background more or less.

*upon starting the adventure mode with your new adventurer, everything in cages or on chains will be set free and will be loose somewhere, FBs walled in caverns might teleport up to your fort*

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

It's quite fun to make your own dungeons in Fortress Mode and explore them in Adventure Mode. Use the DFhack Lair command first though.

We should do a kind of LP in which one person makes a fort-dungeon, and then the next person explores it in adventure mode then makes their own, and so on. Just like a smallish one that won't take too long to create.

You can do some pretty neat things with dfhack.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nietzschean posted:

for example, dwarfs socializing in the meeting area are simultaneously building their social skills and associated stats, building friendships that contribute to tantrum spirals, and doing nothing useful.

I've usually got quite a few idlers because I don't bother to micromanage, and by the time I hit 120 dwarves I just don't have that many things that need doing all at once so ~50 are idling at any given moment.

There's always a few that slip through the cracks, like a kid becoming an adult and me missing the announcement, that end up having no labors enabled.

I think these factors combined result in a class of dwarves in my forts that do no work and get super emotional over traumatic incidents. They are the most likely to be slaughtered by the still sane and useful working dwarves (who have no time to form many relationships), which I figure results in a somewhat self correcting cycle - assuming I have any tantrum spirals of course. Turns out a great dining room is mostly all they care about at the end of the day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If your king or queen dies you can make another dwarf the monarch with DFhack's 'make-monarch' command.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's no way in the game normally, but Dfhack will legitimately make her the queen as far as the nobles screen is concerned.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Today the drows brought an axe with an image of a blood soaked elf corpse on it.

One of my sergeants is now wielding it. I like to pretend she's going to show it off to the elf merchant guards next time they visit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just start playing it, fiddle with settings to your liking. I like to turn harder mining, smelting, learning, and farming off, and also warlocks, automatons, and frost giants, because that stuff is just bullshit imo.

If you have a reasonable idea of what you're doing with vanilla you should be fine with Masterwork.

If you're totally new to the game I'd still say just jump in and try it, the worst that will happen is your dwarves will die.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 25, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In my experience rivers/streams flood from both ends at thaw. I was hoping to avoid any more floodgates; my fortress is lousy with 'em.

You could designate the traffic area on the river floor as restricted. That way they will path there to mine and then hopefully leave ASAP without hanging around.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to flatten around 80 levels of mountain for aesthetic reasons, then I decided it would just be easier to cut it in such a way that I can collapse off half the cliff.

5 dwarves are dead so far just channeling a third of the cut into the mountain.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat you're all right, I don't know why I thought it would just collapse.

Well I guess it's still easier to just keep collapsing it level by level and just dig out the bottom because my dwarves seem to have issues with channeling large areas at once.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Things will swim through fortifications.

If you're just talking about using magma as fuel then just use floodgates to seal your lava off from the rest of the magma sea. The lava level never gets depleted or used and I don't think there are any building destroyer lava creatures. If there are they are rare because I haven't ever seen any. On that note all the fire creatures in the magma I've seen act like regular wildlife, in that they can theoretically path into your fort but they seem content to just flit about in the lava for the most part.

Embarking near volcanoes is great because you can just tap into the side of it at the surface and you don't have to muck about with making huge pump stacks. Things can swim up the volcano from the sea still but I think I've maybe lost a total of one dwarf to a stray fireball shot from a fire elemental while said dwarf was tossing some trash away near the caldera.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 1, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What do you guys have your pop cap set to and what do you consider acceptable FPS? Just out of curiosity.

I'm usually at around 120, ~40-50 fps

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most of my stockpiles are 3x3 tiles, with a 2 tile long track next to them. Just enough track to have a minecart intake everything from the 3x3 stockpile and then dump it all into a 1x1 stockpile nearby.

All my rocks, cloth, wood, etc. are all configured like that for maximum space efficiency.

I've set up my food like that too, with a fishery in the caverns sending carts of fish up and the farms and butchery sending carts of food down. Sometimes it all lands on a unfortunate dwarf, who usually survives with a few broken bones, but that's the price of efficiency I guess.

The only one I don't have like that is my drink stockpile, since dwarves like to grab a drink and then stand on that tile while they drink which makes for a much higher frequency of 'Dwarven Wine Barrel has collided into Urist!'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Hm. I should not abandon my fortress just yet, then.

Looks like I have to wait for an update before being able to retire a fortress to minding itself while I adventure or make a new civilization.

I will be most curious to find out what the many, many adventure mode features are like once an update is released.

If you look through my posts in this threadCheck out my post I quoted below, you'll find out how to use DFhack to retire a fort and go adventuring in the same world without actually having the fort get abandoned. The dwarves will all stay at the fort, and if you mark it as 'lair' the items won't get scattered either.

The only thing that you have to watch out for is things in cages (like goblins) will probably be out and about in the fort, too. I'd recommend making sure your map is clear of any hostiles before retiring the fort to avoid dwarves getting hurt.

Moridin920 posted:

I like to get a fortress started, train up a dwarf and equip him or her with the best gear I can, and then take that dwarf adventuring.

If you want to do that, use DFhack:

1. Put the cursor over the dwarf (or other entity) you want to control. This is important because everything will go black in a second.
2. type 'mode set' in DFhack, then change to adventure mode (type in '1' and hit enter)
3. type 'dfusion', type 2 to get to adventure tools, then 2 again to change adventurer to whatever is at your cursor
4. Back in the game, hit ESC and then you should be able to rest or retire as a peasant. Do that, then save the game (might want to make a copy of your savefile for this).

You should now be able to start a new adventurer game in your world, and select the retired character and start playing as him. You might also want to type in 'lair' at some point or everything in your fortress will scatter all over the place. As far as I can tell your fortress still runs in the background more or less.

*upon starting the adventure mode with your new adventurer, everything in cages or on chains will be set free and will be loose somewhere, FBs walled in caverns might teleport up to your fort*

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 12, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if they give quests, but you can talk to them and recruit them, and they have the full range of conversation choices like any other NPC.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurion posted:

2) If you don't care about selecting specific bolts or items to be reclaimed, you can go into the Stocks menu (make sure you have a bookkeeper dwarf) and reclaim whole types of items from there.

Be careful doing this, it's useful but sometimes there's a bolt somewhere that you can't find easily and no dwarves can access and it'll just spam "urist has canceled put item in stockpile: no path found" A LOT.

Kayle7 posted:

It's supposed to do that. Bolts can't be restacked into bundles of 25 anyway.

I'm not sure if single bolts can be melted down either, can they?

They can, I'm pretty sure. The danger is the bit about bolts not getting restacked, because sometimes a dwarf will grab 4 stacks of (1) bolt and run outside thinking he's all stocked up since he grabbed 4 stacks. Then he'll shoot 4 bolts and be out of ammo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 14, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Generally moving forward at a wholesome speed could mean anything though.

:smaug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Having some dwarves stash away rotting food in their chests sounds like a feature to me. Very realistic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The largest dwarf in my fort is 99,570m3.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh now I see the 'c' in Dwarf Therapist.

:v:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Triskelli posted:

Speaking of wrestling and size, there's no good way to up an adventurer's fat is there?

Not sure if it works in adventure mode but just eat. A lot.

Pretty sure dwarves get skinny if they are deprived of food and vice versa; there's the idler dwarves that do almost nothing and eat regularly and get lardy.

Unless I'm just imagining poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the new release that dropped this afternoon.

oh you dick

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Masterwork or DFhack do something with military behavior regarding retreating? I've noticed a few times now a military dwarf has taken a pretty bad injury and then ran away back to safety. I kind of like it but I don't remember that in vanilla.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna try to not play for a week or two after release anyway to let the DFhack and such catch up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
play with aquafers on, watch digging goblins drown as they try to dig past it to your fort

main entrance moved from surface to just below aquifer, no walls to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Forward_Bee posted:

Does anyone else miss Guild Representatives making work demands for your fortress? On that note, does anybody miss when not meeting a mandate actually had consequences aside from a noble becoming slightly upset (i.e., having your legendary weaponsmith get hammered)?

If you assign a hammerer and a captain of the guard and some guards, your dwarfs will get arrested for violating work orders and mandates from nobles and will either be hammered or put in jail depending on the sentencing and if you have jail cells.

If there was a reliable way to assign a specific hammer to a hammerer I'd do it but I usually just leave the positions empty and let the nobles deal with it. Sick of getting dwarfs killed with masterwork silver hammers.