Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AXE COP posted:

I used to swear by ASCII then I actually used a tile set and realised how much better they are than squiggles and dashes.

I really like tilesets for terrain and objects, but I have yet to find one that makes creatures visually distinctive enough to make me happy. I spend a lot of time [v]ing over things to find out what they are.

Really, what I want is a tileset that replaces all terrain and objects and leaves creatures alone, but AIUI the tileset support we have only permits the opposite of that: you can specify custom tiles for creatures on an individual basis but for objects and terrain you need to edit the character map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

Because at the end of the day his insane vision and dedication to his dream game is why Dwarf Fortress exists in the first place. Sometimes you've gotta take the good with the bad.

Counterpoint: the same features that make a game easier to mod also make it easier to develop and debug. Time spent implementing official mod support could pay off in faster core development, too.

I don't think it's a "no-one must touch MY VISION" thing, otherwise the raws wouldn't exist in any accessible form at all. I think it's just that Toady is a great (albeit insane) designer but a terrible programmer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm getting married the beginning of next month... Wonder if my wife will be mad if I bring a laptop on the honeymoon? :getin:

Do what I did and get your wife hooked on DF too. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I thought I remembered reading that Toady went nuts and released the source code before checking into rehab or something.

If only :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

Top 3 speeds are slowed by being stealthy, being fat, or being muscular, but are also increased by Strength and Agility. Fast uses 5 energy, Faster 10, and Fastest 50, whatever those correlate to. So the 4th argument governs top speed, which I take as meaning 8775 is 1 kph, 878 is 10 kph, and 100 is 87 kph which is definitely not linear. With the old [SPEED] gone, I guess speed of attack/work is governed completely by attributes and skill?

It's not? If those numbers you gave are correct, it's pretty clearly given in time units to move one distance unit.

If we assume (yanking units out of my rear end because I have no idea what DF uses internally) that 8775 time-units == 1 hour, then speed is given in time-units per kilometer. 8775/8775 == 1 kph, 8775/878 == 10 kph, 8775/100 == 87 kph.

If you wanted something with a top speed of 150kph, (8775/??? == 150kph) => (8775/150 == 59) time-units per kilometer.

(A speed value of 1 would give it a speed of 8775kph or about 2.4km/s, for one frame until it runs into a tree and explodes.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What do I need to do to get dwarves to use bins reliably?

I have a bars/blocks stockpile of 148 tiles. Max bins is set to 148. There's perhaps 70 bins in it and the rest is loose bars and blocks (plus huge piles in the smelters making them cluttered). I have loads of spare bins, both lying around in the furniture stockpile and piled up inside the carpenter's workshops (those aren't getting moved to the stockpiles for some reason), but the dwarves won't add any more bins to that stockpile.

The finished goods stockpiles, clothing stockpiles, etc are all using bins as expected.

I tried making another 9x9 bars/blocks stockpile to see what would happen, and they filled the whole thing with loose billon, then dragged a single bin over, filled that with more billon, and called it a day, leaving the other 8 squares binless.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Sounds like there might be something borked in your hauling network. Are you getting cancellation spam? If you have that many loose bars and bins, you might be running into the old "Dwarf 1 grabs Bin 1 to get Bar 1, Dwarf 2 grabs Bin 2 to get Bar 1, everyone gets confused until they just go get drunk" issue.

No cancellation spam.

reignofevil posted:

Well think about it. From a programming perspective once that item is in the stockpile the dwarves are basically good with it's location. Don't fix what ain't broke and that there is a bar in a bar stockpile looks good to me.

My other stockpiles don't behave this way, though -- e.g. I had a crafts stockpile for a while with no bins, and as soon as I made some bins they immediately repacked the entire stockpile into bins. Same deal with gems and clothing.

quote:

Now as to the actual question, why would you even want more bins in the stockpile? [...] Basically a bin is a great thing to store excess bars and kind of sucks for actually being your primary method of storing anything other than crafts( I suppose).

I may have forgotten to mention that this is a 150-tile bars stockpile? I have seventeen metric shitloads of excess coke and metal bars and it has to go somewhere, and I don't want to use quantum stockpiles. And it's not like they'd need to drag around the bins constantly, the bars are generated by smelters right next to the stockpile and if one of the metalworkers needs an ingot they have loads of bins to pick one from.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

reignofevil posted:

At that point just let the bars sit in the workshop they were made in though?

That offends my sense of tidyness but you're probably right that it's the least bad option.

NEW QUESTION: I made a tavern and now nothing is getting done because 75% of my fortress is socializing in it at any given moment. Have I made a terrible mistake?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No. It used to be, but then Toady made it so if dwarves don't get to carouse / pray / study they eventually get "distracted" and their labor output takes a nosedive, in quality or speed or both.

I used to have a meeting hall with some booze nearby and that wasn't so bad.

But now I have a tavern and I have one page of jobs getting done and one page of jobs not getting done and three pages of dwarves socializing.

Maybe if I executed all the bards...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any way to save/export labour assignments for the whole fortress and restore them later? My wife and I are doing a succession fort, but she likes to manually configure her dwarf labours and I like to use labourmanager, which (in addition to changing all the assignments around) doesn't clean up after itself and can easily leave the fort in a state where some critical labours have no-one assigned because nothing needed them at the time you disabled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PSA: if you are trying to fill a pond, disable labormanager. It turns off the "Water Hauling" job on all your dwarves and never, ever turns it back on.

necrotic posted:

You would probably need a script to save and restore the professions, I'm not aware of any that exist already. It's definitely possible with the API dfhack provides.

Good to know. I'll see about scripting something up then.