Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
ASCII really is the best way to convey detailed information at a glance. I agree that engraved wall/floors look extremely garish in bright colors though. That white is definitely painful but I still prefer it to any tile set. I wouldn't replace the alphabet with pictographs, that would make spelling difficult as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I really want to play as well, but I'll wait for the new version.

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there anything I should be thinking about when I decide how deep to build? I've usually been doing farm one level under the ground and then having stairs down like 10-15 levels and then making workshops on one side and dining rooms/beds on the other side.

I like to dig greedily and deep (but not too deep) so my farms and bedrooms end up really close to the lava sea. 140 z-levels down? No problem, easy access to magma. 2-3 dwarves on lumber duty, the rest become cave-adapted mole-people, and the caravan can just deal with a really long spiral ramp. If you don't want your dwarves vomiting in direct sunlight you can rotate them out and have them go to the surface once in a while, but why? Trantor the mega-city is underground.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I wish we knew which line that was, it would be an interesting mechanic to trigger with dfhack or something.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just got my first wave of immigrants and I am reminded of how badly I need Dwarf Therapist.

Yeah, dealing with migrants sucks but with the amount of dumb brute-forcing necessary in DF for almost anything, I can get along with it.

1) Migrants arrive, holy poo poo I hope the next 20 minutes are free
2) Select the first fucker, disable any dumb labors, assign as needed
2a) In my forts this means 90% of migrants are Stone Detailers or Masons (to build walls/whatever, workshops are for Proficient and better)
3) Resume for about 10 frames, oh look there's another dude who popped up on the map edge. Repeat.

Dwarf therapist is obviously superior but vanilla migrant management doesn't make me rage out and break keyboards or anything. After all, violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Very true, I don't have the 15(?) levels of proficiency memorized, so I generally set my workshops (P)rofile to only allow level 5+ or so to work there. Eventually they'll be legendary! Weaponsmith and Armorsmith need not apply since you want the very best, for those you either have to custom-name your dwarves, or write down which Urist likes making swords.

e: Anyone like to play with nanofortress? I checked the Bay12 forums but I didn't see any current development, the threads I saw were silent. I think it's fun to play a 1x4 or even a 1x1 embark fort once in a while, Toady really should just open it up and allow 1x1 embarks.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

nudipedalia posted:

Nanofortress and embark anywhere got rolled somewhere in dfhack as embark-tools. If you can get a teleport script to work you can do almost anything.

Thanks, I did not know this.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Whoa I didn't realize that the musician playing the Dwarf Fortress theme is... Today One. Tarn is a pretty cool dude, even though he's weird I have a lot of respect for a man who can code (poorly), do math, and play some flamenco guitar. Truly a 21st century renaissance man. Hell I can only do one of those.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

pixaal posted:

[...] Basically after making a game with only basic courses in programming and have very little idea of what the hell I was doing I made a horrible mess. This source code has to be horrible from the start and he's kind of doing a piece by piece recode which is a horrible idea. What should have happened is a complete recode "Dwarf Fortress 2.0" and probably would have allowed for multi threading. If one thing could benefit from tons of cores its Dwarf Fortress. Hell AMD's Bulldozer might actually be a viable processor for DF multi threaded. We'll likely never know though.

With advances in consumer hardware, I foresee a line drawn in the sand between games that are 64-bit/multithreaded, and those that are not. When 64GB RAM and 16-core CPUs are the norm, I think 32-bit single thread applications will really suffer. Don't get me wrong I love Dwarf Fortress, but even commercial games are failing to adapt to the new environment and will eventually become unplayable outside of DOSbox-style emulators for obsolete Windows versions.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

I build a new PC a few months ago, and my choice in processor (i5 4670) was made entirely on its single-thread performance reviews.
I have the same processor, it's awesome but I'll be surprised if we see 7.8 GHz CPUs in the next 8 years. I really hope I'm wrong and some incredible breakthrough occurs, but I'm not holding my breath. This one runs DF pretty well though.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I used to put lots of points into exotic things like Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing, and Gemsetting but they usually die or are replaced by migrants before those invested points pay off.

Nowadays I usually do something like this:

1) Mason
2) Carpenter/Building Designer
3) Cook
4) Brewer
5) Appraiser/Negotiator
6) Grower/Herbalist
7) Leader/Organizer (even though this guy is never my leader or mayor and just some stonecrafting schlub)

8) A pair of breeding kitties :catdrugs:

Putting points in Mining can be kind of cool, but I'd usually rather start with 4 pickaxes and let them get to legendary at their own pace. Most of the starting guys can mine for a couple months before their labor is needed full time. Plus, I kind of don't want a shitload of shist/gabbro boulders created by skilled miners, they'll be good by the time I get to microcline/cobaltite/olivine and other cool colored rocks.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I thought I remember reading that stairs can be much more taxing on the pathfinding algorithm versus ramps, but who the hell knows anymore. The only real advantage I've seen with ramps is that you can make a wagon-accessible rampway that dwarves and other creatures can't use, due to "unusable" ramp tiles. That's more of an exploit than an argument for ramps over stairs though.

I like to have a wagon entrance with ramps that goes down 100z levels to the trade depot, and a safer, separate central stair system for dwarves, kobolds, thieves, goblins, keas, etc.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
That's a good question, I don't know if room value is calculated by volume or surface area. I guess you could engrave the walls and see if your room value goes from Great to Legendary?

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Oh, good. At least it is fixed permanently and will never crop up again in an unexpected fashion.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Today One posted:

gave crabs, horseshoe crabs, oysters and mussels blue blood

I can't think of a single way this currently impacts the game, but goddamnit I love it. Is blue blood a requirement for certain moods or cooking recipes? Can a plucky adventurer utilize the unique nature of a blue blooded horseshoe crab to escape certain death? Only time, and future updates will tell!

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Dwarf Fortress kickstarter, I can smell it from here.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
As long as scamps has nuggets to eat and there's soda in the fridge...

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
That's terrible news, I love engraving. Living in a gigantic warren where every last inch of rock has been engraved would a trip. You could have legends about old or pious elders that read the entire fortress. Except, most of it would be crude graffiti and scrawls of the countless waves of uneducated migrants.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Well you can "Q" and cursor around to see which dwarves have claimed which beds, going on the theory of multiple rooms claimed per dwarf. There's probably a better explanation though... something about dwarves being forbidden from claiming a room(bed) for some reason.

And if you do happen to find duplicates, just (f)ree bed to reset the room and let them claim it again. You might even just free all the beds and see what happens as they reclaim their rooms organically.

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 30, 2015

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Sure, everyone shits on the immortal poem, until they realize it is a masterfully crafted palindrome.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
That's a pretty amazing idea. Cast a spell or burn the tomes of knowledge to wipe out all memory. Suddenly 16384 tiles of engraved stone become identical "something is carved here but its significance has been lost to the ages" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Wow I always kind of assumed that dwarves were already innately quite resistant to alcohol. I mean... they basically go years without drinking water and yet regularly undertake major construction projects and field standing armies... :stare:

It all makes sense now. Spilling magma down staircases, falling into deadly carp-ponds; the entire civilization is completely inebriated whereas I had assumed a pleasant, mild buzz. This is like when Toady revealed that dwarves had accidentally been made cat-sized for years and years of development.