Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I restated a new fort near a Tower, this time outside of a Haunted area. I was just going about my business building a curtain wall, and then another, and then an extention when suddenly a Human Hunter Necromancer appeared in the doorway and walked inside.

Everyone panicked, except for the dogs which viciously attacked him. I didn't even realize this was happening until teeth exploded out all over the entryway.

Well anyway, he died, does this mean the necromancer threat is now over? Just like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

So is there a therapist that works with the new version? I just came back to DF after a few years off.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

oh.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

So what am I supposed to do if a Dark Gnome zombie attacked my fort and his head was cleaved off and flew 5 Z levels atop a tree and scares everyone as they try to leave the fort?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Decrepus posted:

So what am I supposed to do if a Dark Gnome zombie attacked my fort and his head was cleaved off and flew 5 Z levels atop a tree and scares everyone as they try to leave the fort?

Well after trying for a while in frustration to cut the tree down, and with dwarves constantly running to it and fleeing from it over and over again, I decided to undermine it. I dug up all of the roots thinking that would bring the tree down but of course not. So I build a ramp up thinking that would bring it down and that didn't either. However, during a zombie peragrine falcon attack which left one dwarf braindead another dwarf must have hacked at the tree from the beneath and brought it down. The head was seemingly crushed in the process.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I have read as much as I can and I cannot get my dwarves to wear armor.

I have them in a squad, I have them active, I have armor beyond measure in a stockpile in their own barracks, I have their uniform set, and I have them told to equip it. But they still refuse. What am I missing?

e: I also toggled "remove" and "wear over" and it did nothing

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

:confused: I've always made stone pots to store drinks. They're cheaper than making barrels and a good use for junk stone bits.

Can you explain this to me? I thought every craft/furniture/etc took the same amount! :stare:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

Come to think of it, couldn't we just mod a cow to produce honey instead of milk?

Add a horrifying giant bombardier beetle that shoots sticky honey on its victims to entrap them before killing them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

MrWillsauce posted:

My military wears armor just fine :shrug:

I could not for the life of me get it to work. The new patch fixed it supposedly so I guess it doesn't matter now.

I had one dwarf get stuck in a tree but that was probably due to the zombie attack and zombie head ending up on top. The step ladder remained somewhere he could have reached and I built several staircases that he kept swinging away from like a gibbon until he finally decided to stay still.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Blackray Jack posted:

How soon do they tend to arrive? I also had first year kobold and goblin thieves, ugh.

You only build on the surface using walls and poo poo if you want a challenge. You should dig (down or into a hill) and get a raising bridge built and linked to a lever that you can uset to block off the entrance if you are attacked. The thieves arent anything to worry or care about unless you leave all your poo poo laying around outside even a single dog near your entrance will run them off.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is anyone else having trouble with zombies? During a necromancer siege around 40 zombies will pile around an enemy and refuse to attack it. They just follow it around for an eternity and the creature steps randomly in every direction. This has happened in two different forts now (with a kangaroo and a hamster man) and it is pretty irritating. I tried sallying some dwarfs outside to break it up but they were killed and the zombies returned to their holding pattern around the hamster man.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

My last zombies siege lasted 2 years.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Can you just j m q it? I've never built one personally.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Well, it had a good run while it lasted, but I think it's time to retire my fort for a new one so I can build that super library in a new save with the proper raws.

Which sprite pack is this? I like it a lot more than my current one. Also after seeing this I suppose I should redesign my shamecube dining hall.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Met posted:

How do you set shortcuts?

under the H menu

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

VerdantSquire posted:

With these changes to zombies, I might actually consider playing in an evil region for once. The idea of raising a small army of well-equipped Dwarves against a massive zombie horde sounds awesome! :black101:

I just decided to embark away from a Tower this time since it was impossible to deal with. gently caress.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Mad Pills posted:

I have noticed my military dwarves absolutely refuse to equip any gauntlets or boots, even when I select a specific boot or gauntlet. Is this a known issue?

I have nothing but constant problems with equipping my dwarfs. I had to reform my entire military because there was a squad that just refused to wear pants. In my last fight someone's hand got stabbed off and surprise, 75% of my military isn't wearing the gauntlets they are supposed to.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Jesus, I installed the newest version of spacefox and these new wall tiles for non constructed/smoothed walls are offensively terrible. Someone actually thought this looked better than the nice looking walls they had before. I guess I need to figure out a way to replace all of the wall textures with something reasonable.

Strike the flesh.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

I haven't played in ages, but suddenly have the urge to dwarf again. I was reading the wiki, and the fact that pigs apparently don't need pastures interested me. I've decided to found a fortress named "Dinnerfork, the Eternal Wonders of Pigs". I am spending a bunch of embark points on 10 sows and 1 boar. Any fun ideas for a pig fortress? I definitely want to get a meat and milk industry up.

I just did this yesterday although I was much more conservative with 6/1. I regret it greatly.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sex is actually gross when you think about it.txt

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Has anyone found any good evil(lol) embarks? Ones that combine a good challenge and peril without instant death? It is really frustrating me trying to find one. My last embark was in an area of 75% terrifying biome and the only creatures to come though were some peach faces keas.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In my quest to find a challenging embark I chose the middle of a terrifying forest. Eyestalks grow out of the ground and horrifying mucus rains down from the sky. Immediately after the embark I was greeted with a message that a Roc had made this area his lair.

Not surprisingly within moments of unpausing my woodcutter was killed when a log fell on him (it must have fallen atop another tree) and I have lived in peace ever since.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 5, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

RedTonic posted:

The history generation phase chugs painfully when I try to make a new world. I can get about 120 years in on a medium world before the program becomes unresponsive. I guess I'm stuck playing in the Age of Myth for a while.

Just make a smaller map, you can only play on 1 tile so gently caress it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I noticed the red "mangled beyond recognition" and then speedy complete recovery in my last fort where it was raining horrifying mucus. I understand the red recovering but when it states mangled beyond recognition also I would have expected a lasting effect. It was nearly instant when they got out of the rain and there was no medical care, only despair.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

Wow, I don't think Toady intended the bruising syndromes to actually mush the tissue into goo. Tissue damage on contact always sounded more like really nasty acid rain, but now they're turning into Clarence Boddickers by the truckload.

that owns

That didn't happen to Clarence Boddicker, an artery was torn in his neck. :colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Am I the only wuss newbie who's disabled aquifiers :ohdear:

I did and I don't give a gently caress.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Lareine posted:

One of my dwarves drowned. How can I retrieve the body and stuff without drowning my other dwarves?

So everyone drowned by now, right?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

Ironically in my last fortress I seemed to have a population of cave trolls down in the first cavern that were non-hostile.

Mind you they still went around breaking down my doors but they wouldn't fight my dwarves unless I told my squads to attack.

Now those giant bats that kept coming in and attacking, those fuckers were annoying.

I embarked in evil biomes, and did so countless times in order to try to find ogres to fight, and when i finally found an embark site that had them they weren't hostile.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Very cool, thanks. I love stuff like this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Good art is supposed to elicit an emotional response. Even if that response is freaking the gently caress out.

g

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

No matter what settings I tried, how many times I reformed a squad, or toggled orders etc, a couple gently caress faces would always be running around missing a few pieces of armor they were told to have. It is very frustrating and I can't wait to become enraged again the next time I play.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

If you embark without 8-11 sows how can anyone take you seriously.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I am the dwarf laying on the floor in the hallway who just wants to go get a loving prickleberry meal for dinner.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Star Citizen just released its clothing store which is pretty neat and very high fidelity. Does dwarf fortress have anything like that?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Star Citizen has only been in development for 6 years and is already on version 2.4, how come this game is only on 0.43.03?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

There really isn't anything enemies can actually do to the map unless DFHack really is getting crazy. Did you cut down trees above that area? Cutting down trees above mined out space can leave holes in the ground (on the bug tracker).

I had this happen to me. I build a defense at the top of a hill with fortifications and firing positions but I wasn't aware of the new Tree Rules until gobbos started jumping down into my farms and pig pens. The person I mentioned it to thought I was just a retard who left an obvious hole but then it happened to them the following day and they lost their fort too.

:cool:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Toady made more in March than I make in a year :negative:
I mean I'm part-time and only work a few days a week, but still, god drat.

Try moving your bed and workplace closer together.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I remember someone in this thread posting info about step calculations which was pretty cool.

Are there any tips in regards to fortress layout for minimal step decisions instead of the actual number of steps that a dwarf needs to take? Does this post even make any sense?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Anchors posted:

Dwarf fortress uses a version of A* pathfinding, so you can use this tool to visualize potential fortress layouts: http://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/

I recall someone messing around for some time to determine some dos and don'ts, but can't find the posts.

scamtank posted:

that was tiler kiwi, peep dis

Thanks. I love loving around with and loving this stuff up.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I think you can just designate Down Stair on the top level, go down 1z level and begin a u/d stair, and scroll down to the bottom to finish the designation and it will span all the way down in 1 command. Water should flow down stairs fine and they will have no problem digging it and walking out.