Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wife cancels Honeymoon: Goon Inaccessible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Of course, it all makes sense now.

We must kill Tarn Adams.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man the "Updating World" but before I can actually play is taking forever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's what started to do right after I posted. I just wanna' bash some nerds.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

markus_cz posted:

Have you really...?

You have.

I must leave.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Logical? All of this delicious alcohol and you're going to pour it on your sores? That's not how things work around here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Biting all that lead can't be good for you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tables and chairs wait until I finish building 300 bins

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't your dorfs stomp on poo poo and break it? I'm always paranoid I'm murdering my food whenever I don't have dorfs path around it properly, putting the meeting zone on top of the food would drive me crazy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh, was that an old feature or something? Or was I informed incorrectly long ago and just never questioned it?

how much of my life is a lie

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's probably it, then. All these years I've been going out of my way making neat little paths around my food piles.

Oh well, I guess it was good practice. My hallway management and civic pathing game is on point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just constantly hit ctrl a at all times

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would still just hit ctrl a at all times, just in case

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, not necessarily better, just different. I dislike the way a lot of tilesets look.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you sure showed me

still playing with ASCII

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

carefully

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that last dude is a fisherman

finally I can resume making Human Hamlets. You think the elves are pissed off at dwarves? My entire town is wood.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the number 256 would like a word with you, specifically about the term "overflow"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

please stop picking on my best friend stephenfry

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm proud of you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite minecart adventure was weaponizing them to fight off sieges

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I usually do an even mix of vertical and horizontal but I imagine a lot of people like flat fortresses because you can see more of it at once.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

In the meantime, here's another glimpse of myth generation that someone snagged off of Twitter:

an egg

gone

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

burrows was worth it entirely for the pun

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

being able to hit a hotkey and a few moments later have the game export out and play a no poo poo proc-genned dwarf song would own loving bones

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

very carefully

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I need goblins

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

all the old stories of difficulty with aquifers and how they're a huge pain in the rear end you have to do complicated engineering works to bypass are somewhat out of date. There's now two types of aquifers, heavy and light; all the old stories and guides are for what are now Heavy Aquifers. Light ones you can dig out and you've got like 10 whole rear end seconds before it starts leaking a single level of water. I had a bare aquifer tile in a fort I was running recently and the tile of water it spit out would often evaporate before it got to level 2.

There's nothing to fear with light aquifers, the benefits of having one are worth the 3 extra brain cells you've got to rub together to deal with them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat, was hoping there's be some word about the military bugs/oversights (only default archer uniform enables shooting with crossbows, can't set bolt type for training so they waste all your iron bolts, they don't recognize food in their backpacks so when they remove them when they go back to civilian uniforms, the food falls out, but is still claimed, so no one grabs it and it stinks up the bedrooms)

good stuff though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

multithreading. it's finally happening.

specifically it's multithreading the line-of-sight code, which is the biggest contributor to late-game slowdown

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I think's that's it, I may have just got the wording a little off. You can already disable temp stuff if it's a problem.

Also it's not enabled by default due to it still being in testing, but most people seem to reporting that there's no real issues if you turn it on, at the moment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this dude thinks the Swiss are a different species

and he's right

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah you gotta exile them from this bitch of a life

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sounds like a problem for future me, and that guy's an rear end in a top hat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they do that one thing really well. they romance the poo poo out of those necs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah Arena's important. I'd love to revive the Arena Fight Club that goons ran a while back where you could "buy" a fighter with points for things like Race, Skin Material, Number of Limbs, etc. and slam them against other poster's guys in NPC tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

remember when everyone spent months/years trying to figure out why dwarves were taking so much damage and just gibbing the moment anything got through their defenses and it ended up being that somehow dwarves were accidentally made really tiny.

I think that was also the explanation for weirdness like arrows piercing a dwarfs left eye, their lungs, and then their right eye lol