Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Do previously injured and healed dwarves stand longer in combat than uninjured ones?

I was told that after a dwarf gets beat up enough he will basically have thicker skin and last longer in combat despite the yellow text in the health screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

So Math posted:

How do you bite an eyelid from behind?

How do you grab a tongue with a spear from behind?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
By the way guys.

If you want the fps cap gone then change the number on "[G_FPS_CAP:50]" in the init.txt to something much higher.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So, Uh. How do I get my dwarfs to pick up all these juicy apples laying around?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
2 week calendar screen confirmed being much quicker.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is it just me is anybody else unable to designate multiple of the new buildings in your fortress at a time?

I can either build a temple, an inn, or a tavern, but once I build a 2nd of anything, the first built one just turns back into a generic Meeting Area without any location assignments.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I love this game :allears:

(not mine)

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So is the export number bug just a cosmetic glitch in the UI? Or does the game not recognize that you're exporting wealth at all?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

An enormous forest fire has started at the north side of my map and there's nothing it could have came from to be found. :psyduck:

I'm not near a volcano and I embarked in a temperate zone. I haven't dug to the cave layer yet. wtf?

My wooden outdoor fortress is doomed..

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 1, 2016

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Does creating more mountains result in higher populations of dwarves after world gen? Or is there more that I can do?

Lately on my generated worlds i've noticed that dorfs seem to have the lowest or second lowest population count compared to the other intelligent civs.

I'm using the perfect world 3rd party program if that matters.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Moridin920 posted:

So, every few months there will be 'Urist has been found dead!' and the dwarf in question is just lying in a pool of vomit and wine in my tavern, with no apparent injuries. DFhack says 'died of suffocation.'

Are my dwarves dying of alcohol poisoning? Shameful.

Ghosts now can kill dwarves with no combat log as well.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is defeating the demons even possible? or do they flood out nonstop until your fort is doomed?

Inspecting it with dfhack shows that some of the hellforts might contain some loot.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Also new devlog:

ToadyOne posted:

Dwarven historical figures that have been assigned various artisan professions now have a chance to enter a mood and produce an artifact. It's more abstract than the standard in-play fortress process, but it uses about the same variety of materials (it doesn't do furniture yet). Next up we'll add a few more classes of items (weapons/armor named by heroes, holy relics), and then we'll make claims on artifacts and make the movement of artifacts in world generation more interesting to set the stage for in-play additions.

:siren: WORLD GEN ARTIFACTS COMING SOON :siren:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is modding this to make children able to work possible or easy? I've done it before briefly with a dfhack bug ages ago. I have too many of them and child labor seems super fitting in dorffort when you think deep about it. :colbert:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Do ai civs embark new towns after the initial worldgen? I understand that they can conquer, but are new ones built if they haven't reached their site cap yet?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Loopoo posted:

Last time I played DF was when there was the exported wealth bug that prevented any sieges from showing up. I believe separate armour damage was also a thing, where you'd have to repair armour periodically to keep it in top shape.

What's changed since then? Are there any game-breaking bugs that'll ruin my experience? I don't want a repeat of last time: I picked DF up after a year's hiatus only to devote a solid amount of time into a Fort and discover that sieges don't work.

This is answered all the time.

That bug has been patched out ages ago. But frequency of sieges are still very reliant on your embark location. You gotta be close to enemy civs. You gotta pump out a ton of exported wealth. You gotta make sure the enemy civs you embark near have a good population. And lastly you just need luck, maybe nearby gobbos just prefer attacking the local elves and humans instead.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Wait is Dwarf Therapist still not compatible with the 64-bit version of the game?

I've been playing the 32bit version for a while now, but it seems whenever I get a sizeable siege I cant make it through it without crashing. I'm not sure if this is a memory issue or possibly a dfhack issue.

Therapist is like the only reason i've stuck with the 32 bit, it's hard to play without it once you've become accustom to it.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

necrotic posted:

If new tiles were introduced they won't work right, but otherwise they should.

I'm not super sure about that though, because doesn't a lot of tilesets replace some of the raws and data files using the older versions info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

hardycore posted:

Themed run ideas:

Militarized great library with a core of scholar-lords and an army that exists to seize books by force (can you even get books in raids?)

Doomsday cult, whose goal is to beeline the caverns asap, secure them and seal themselves inside never to emerge (maybe crack open once in a while for "new converts").

Spring break: tropical beach, above ground fort, goal is to have as many inadvisable visitors crowding your sunny taverns as possible

Whats most efficient way to make above ground buildings? Can you use bridges as roofs or are only floors waterproof? Can you make pitched roofs with ramps?

I get bored fast without goals beyond "make wealth until something unkillable spawns" so what else have y'all done that's fun

My usual go-to is above ground forts. I normally construct the baseline floor and walls. Once that's finished I construct a ramp going up the outter wall and build a ring of ramps on top of that layer of walls to begin a slanted roof for aesthetic reasons (you can just build a normal floor above the room if you don't mind it being 'blocky'.) After the ramps are built I build another ring of walls parallel along the inner part of the ramp ring so the building roof goes up another layer, and then I fill in the rest of the roof with a constructed floor 2 layers above the ground. Afterwards I delete the ramp. Though I sometimes skip the slanted roof step and leave a hole somewhere on the roof if I want to later construct a staircase to make it a multilevel building. Multi-level buildings can be constructed the same way, but using stairwells go upwards rather than ramps.

My current fortress is stuck in a very rainy biome, so I'm going to attempt to make a massive dome over my above ground fortress complete with support pillars and glass cieling panels so my military can still see potential airborne threats.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 14, 2022