Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lawman 0 posted:

I want to goldmine this post.

Also on the same topic I have this dwarf skull floating above my entrance for some reason and every so often one of my dwarves looks up when they go inside and freeze in terror as they see the spooky hammerdwarf skull. This hilariously includes most of my military who proceed to piss themselves in terror esxcept for the guys who actually have kills to their name. :thumbsup:

To be fair, if I saw the skull of a bro randomly hanging in the air, I'd probably poo poo myself too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any recent fun Dwarf Fortress stories? I've read Boatmurdered etc I've just always enjoyed hearing how glitches are rationalized in-game plus inadvertent tales of dwarfish heroism.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, so I've been watching Kruggsmash's Dwarf Fortress playthroughs, and they're absolutely fantastic for the most part. Great editing(30-40 hours of work put into each 30 minute episode, jesus christ), great artwork representation of the goings-on in the fortresses, great storytelling, great everything. But I'm rapidly approaching the end of what he's put out, are there any other DF youtube let's players who produce content of a similar quality?

:eyepop: :shittypop: :captainpop:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing and really underappreciated.

The mad lad actually managed to conquer the ocean itself as literal seasteading. :black101:

https://youtu.be/i21O-W4BmpA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

deathbagel posted:

This guy is awesome. Best Dwarf Fortress streamer since Captnduck!

Any recommendations for which Kruggsmash series as the best to watch since each "episode" is about 30 minutes and there's multiple series to get invested in?

The latest Adventure mode video was endearing with the Kobold and her pet beetle meeting an insane naked goblin woman, but there's no part 2 yet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

Monsterkiller is the one I started with and a good standalone. I've tried getting into his old huge multiseries but kept bouncing off.

But yeah, monsterkiller or honeystoker(watch prelude first) are your best bets. Bastion of beasts is really good for all the drawings of jabberers though

I'm not sure which one you mean by prelude. Do you mean the Waterkeeper seven episode short fort?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 4, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

this playlist is where you want to start, Tales From the Eternal Realms.

Okay, that's the playlist I thought it was, thanks.

I haven't been this invested in a Dwarf Fortress saga since Headshoots and Boatmurdered. I can barely grasp the actual game itself, but I love the stories that emerge. This guy makes it a lot more accessible to comprehend what I'm looking at.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's the most effective machinery you could hypothetically build to put down a besieging force in one blow? Alternatively, MAD devices to make everything blow up in a massive figurative mushroom cloud?

I like the "flood the world with lava" doomsday device from Boatmurdered. Maybe you could build a turbine that slams a group of goblins into a bloody pulp? Or a trap door that drops people into a chasm of lava?

E: Scratch the lava, just make a deep empty pit filled with all the bones of invaders, the insane, and other ne'er-do-wells that slowly accumulates over time. Just dump the new ones on top until they starve and eventually form another layer of bones.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Episode 2 of Tuco Junglejumps:

https://youtu.be/CNGdA95mScc

I find the adventures of a Kobold and her pet beetle to be really endearing since it focuses mainly on just one character and their escapades. The whole abandoned civilization thing is eerie, plus the giant encounter is equal parts tense and hilarious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Still watching Honeystoker. Got me to thinking: has anyone decked out a militia dwarf in all artifact high-quality armor and weaponry? Any epic tales of a single dwarf taking on an army of dwarves or forgotten beasts or whatnot?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maugrim posted:

Not all artifacts but I think Headshoots has you covered for adamantine-clad invincidwarfs, mainly because there was a bug (I think) in that version that removed the skill cap

Was it that one or Boatmurdered with the insane berserk Dwarven horror constantly on fire murdering everyone?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maugrim posted:

That was Headshoots I think, yeah

That owned. Flooding the world with lava and genociding all of the elephants also owned.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy poo poo, Boatmurdered is over ten years old now. :gonk: I'm so old.... :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

So, for some dwarves, life in a fortress is just a morbid shitshow of endless trauma that will inevitably drive them insane? Is that it? :iit:

Why even live (as a dwarf)?

Captain Invictus posted:

The Perfect Cell blasts Android Sixteen, smashing the body, tearing the flesh, and severing the head! The severed part sails off in an arc!

Now I want to see an armless, legless dwarf gnaw a forgotten beast to death.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 7, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished the last part of Honeystoker during my lunch break today.

drat, what a great series that was! :shittypop: The beginning was kind of slow-going, but the middle was great and the ending chapters were amazing. Bravo!

Btw, I would totally pay money to read a comic or graphic novel with Atir as the protagonist (with a prologue or Gaiden side comic about the adventures of Mosus and the goblin).

Any other Krugg series you all recommend working on through now?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 14, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

Bastion of Beasts and the followup Largegate, assuming you've not watched Monsterkiller yet.

Haven't seen any of those yet, thanks! :D

At first, I was rolling at my eyes at the whole "ya bastards" and whistling gimmick, but the narrative and artwork really got me hooked and only then I could see it for the gold it really was.

It also helps I'm not really familiar with the endgame spoiler content of Dwarf Fortress itself, so the (Honeystoker ending chapters spoilers) demon creatures and their lairs at Profaneblocked and Gugo Oozeburial himself really unnerved me and had me tense about what was to come like the Eclipse in Berserk, well done.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 14, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Whoa, Steam Dwarf Fortress finally got a release date? Sweet!

I've always wanted to get into DF more, but always found the interface to be impenetrable even with a tileset. I'm so stoked to finally have an accessible version of DF for normies like myself. :yeah:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I genuinely would love to see what the Adamses depiction of the draltha looks like.

I want to see the Steam depiction of Hidden Fun Stuff, personally.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm listening to the Dwarf Fortress Steam soundtrack on Apple Music now and holy crap is it amazing to listen to while working from home.

Also, Koganusan seems like an extended/enhanced version of the same track I've been listening to for years on Soundcloud. It's a fantastic track that's been made even better. Excellent choice for the Steam edition! :D

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I can't believe that Steam Dwarf Fortress will be in my shopping cart within a matter of hours. It's finally happening!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Even if for some reason I never put in a single minute of game time in Steam Dwarf Fortress, the Tarn brothers deserve money being thrown their way for their tireless efforts over the years making and building upon such a groundbreaking (no pun intended) game.

Also, gently caress American medical care expenses.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's coming. It's almost here. The time has come. :holy::iit:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy gently caress, this game looks and sounds beautiful and I'm just at the world creation screen. :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Spotted this during world creation:

Never change, Dwarf Fortress. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm playing through the tutorial now and my mind is blown at the ease of accessibility and ambient noise as I construct a stockpile. :pusheen:

This is the kind of immersion I've always dreamed of for Dwarf Fortress.

E:

Barrerls.

I'm an editor by trade, so stuff like this sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 7, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there a way to click to identify what something is in more detail? Like, I can see that it is a barrel or a Dwarf or whatever, but how can I see more details about something I see on a particular tile?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FFT posted:

Yeah, you can click it

Is it disabled in the tutorial, though?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I really, really want to see what the Hidden Fun Stuff looks like in the Steam version.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Uhhh, so I was taking my time digging out bedrooms etc when I got a message saying that the dead walk the earth. :kstare:

This was during the tutorial. Is there a way to disable enemies/invasions while I'm in the tutorial and trying to get my head around the game mechanics?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mirthless posted:

Christ, I can't believe the tutorial can put you in the shadow of a tower

I think the tutorial just checks if the site is mineral rich and in a forest. It probably doesn't check for other factors like a necromancer tower being nearby lol

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there a way to cancel dig orders after you've already set them? I feel like the tutorial is weirdly restrictive in counterproductive ways. They should at least visually gray out the options that you can't use yet.

Also, I've found that the tutorial seems to break if you save and quit then return later. At the very least, it should give you an option to disable attacks and invasions during the tutorial.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arrath posted:

:hmmyes:

I quite enjoyed Deeplance part 2, and the horny Human Bard of a few pages ago was possibly one of the funniest things I've seen in the past month.

Can you please quote the bard story? I can't seem to find it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What do the heart symbol speech bubbles mean? For example, one has a black heart covered with splatters of blood, another is a half-full yellow heart, etc.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I want to get into Dwarf Fortress more, but I always feel intimidated that my fortress is going to crumble immediately at the first sign of a vile force of darkness. I know, I know, "losing is fun"; but what are some essentials I should get good at or have covered to ensure my forts stability as a beginner?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any good videos that go more in-depth with the demon and angel endgame of Dwarf Fortress? I could have sworn I remember watching a Kruggsmash adventurer video where he fights some, but I can't seem to find it. I just find their forbidding and alien nature to be really fascinating.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Everything is still pretty overwhelming, but I've at least gotten past the tutorial now. :iit:

I know brewing alcohol is important for Dwarves, but it's saying I need empty food containers. I've already made some wooden pots, jugs, cups, etc but it's still not letting me brew anything. Help please? :confused:

E: Also, I think the most barebones Dwarf bedroom needs a bed, chest, and cabinet right? I've seen from Vinesauce Joel's DF streams that you can cram them into an L-shape room and it'll be fine. Do Dwarves not have patching issues climbing over what is essentially a cramped hoarder space? Also, is there any meaningful difference between private bedrooms and a bunch of communal beds zoned as a dormitory?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 19, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:stare: What the gently caress is that? It doesn't seem hostile, though. It's just wandering around checking out the area. Can nearby civs send scouts in advance of an invasion? I'm paranoid of anything and everything trying to kill me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are pubs separate from dining halls? I'd like to make an area for my Dwarves to throw parties and have fun in and entertain guests. :shobon:

E: Also, I've zoned bedrooms using the multi tool. Is there a way to tell which bedroom belongs to which Dwarf?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:psyduck: What the poo poo???

I saw that this honey badger couldn't stand anymore, so I wanted to do a mercy kill on it. Turns out the badger managed to kill my expedition leader somehow. What the hell?

Okay, so my expedition leader is dead, which I guess means now I don't have a manager so I can't assign a new militia commander? How do I get a new manager?

E: looking at the combat log, apparently the guy didn't equip the axe I assigned to him, so he tried punching the honey badger, but then the badger managed to knock him unconscious and then proceeded to tear at his head until he died.

E2: okay, so the expedition leader role gets filled automatically. Still, it'd be pretty pathetic if my fort fell to a honey badger that couldn't even stand up.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They gave the badger a nickname after they killed it. Is there a way to check why the badger got the nickname or when?

E: The nearby Dwarves' thoughts remark that the badgers nickname is Visestrife, but the corpse says Toststin. :confused:

E2: Made an engraved memorial slab after figuring out how to specifically place it instead of a generic one. I don't know if you can engrave coffins, but I'm always curious about what the Dwarves write so I enjoy seeing engravings.

"Friend of dogs." :unsmith:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Is there any way to make a gate with this section I'm trying to wall off? Or should I make a dry moat with a bridge instead? Just trying to seal off the above-ground entrance so it's safe, but also accessible to trader caravans and migrants when necessary.