Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Orv posted:

It is in dwarf fortress! :yayclod: (It’s mostly fine but occasionally not.)
The times when it's not fine are the best at being the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dwarf Fortress being complete will always be in the future for me - it's one of those things that I can't imagine being complete, and that I don't want to be complete.

Which is odd, because it's the complete opposite of how I feel about a lot of other games, where I'll happily wait until they exit Early Access for the hope that I'm not going to be an unofficial QA tester.

So if it ever does finish, I'm gonna be very confused and a little sad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

Hasn't Tarn said this is basically his lifes work and he doesn't envision a 1.0 release for decades?
That sounded familiar, and indeed it is, because it's from an interview with what was then Gamasutra - so that's comforting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

The only DF-like I've ever really stuck with is Rimworld but it focuses on different things than DF and doesn't feel as much like a competitor as just inspired by. Any game that tries to be DF ultimately falls short because DF has been worked on for decades and it isn't easy to replicate the attention to detail. I'm thinking of the million Steam games that showed "great promise" until their creator realized how much effort creating a real DF game is and abandons it.
Rimworld isn't really what I consider to be a direct DF-like, because in Rimworld you have more direct control over the survivors, whereas one of the central design decisions of DF is that you have no direct control over dorfs and can only tell them what needs to happen.

It's still an absolutely fantastic game, mind you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Calling them needless is fighting words.

Dorfs need these things!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

Dwarf Fortress: We really need this for the people who want to make Turing complete computers inside the game but for some reason can't deal with the ASCII.
It's such a shame there's a limit to the length of titles, because this really would be perfect.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Dwarf Fortress: W R N T F T P W W T M T C C I T G B F S R C D W T ASCII

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

15 years of singlethread CPU being the only spec I look at while pc shopping because of this game
So far as I know, there isn't really any game that's ever been made, which explicitly benefits from all cores running at the same speed over a single fast one and a bunch of slower ones.

Dwarf Fortress still manages to be in a league of its own, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah threading is hard which is why a lot of games don't do it (although sometimes you get problems with excessive threading like that issue Monster Hunter World's PC release had where it was running so many threads that a significant amount of CPU time was being eaten just managing it), although you do still get the advantage on a multi-core CPU where you can have various background processes running on one core while the game gets one all to itself.

Zurai posted:

Threading is pure dark arts sorcery. I'm convinced that anyone who actually knows what they're doing with regards to multithreading a game sacrificed some large animal to a demon or sold their soul to a devil for the skill.
I'm not going to sit here and claim that threading is easy now, but there are things that help.
You've got decades of locking models being well-documented and liberally licensed (ie. can be integrated without even needing to worry about GPL), but more in addition to that you've also got things like ConcurrencyKit and threading sanitizers (LLVM TSAN) that can help you handle a lot of the associated issues around threading itself, that aren't limited to locking, as well as have the compiler help find the locking issues that you wouldn't necessarily discover on your own.

Now, retrofitting a modern toolchain capable of those things onto an existing toolchain for a game? Now that is likely to involve arcane arts and possibly blood sacrifices.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

reignofevil posted:

A dwarf staring at a legendary artifact lever thinking after all, why shouldn't I pull it.
Truly, a question for the ages.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

While I like both, one of the differences between DF and Rimworld is that Rimworld has direct control, whereas DF offers no direct control of Dorfs.
Dorfs do their own thing, sometimes irrespective anything else to the detriment of the entire fort.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The main reason I can't get into Rimworld is the lack of z-layers. That's a really major obstacle since everything I do in DF tends to be more vertical than horizontal and moving on to Rimworld feels like having your toolkit broken in half and trampled upon.
Yeah, that's a way more obvious difference that took me a while to get used to too - and I do think DF is better for having it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I find it hard to play without dfhack, unless by some tint of insane programming Tarn implements all the cleanup functionality.

I'm not entirely sure I'd put it past him, but I can't quite bring myself to hope.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1563932415600607234

This, of course, raises a question: Is it art because it was created by a madman?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neurion posted:

There's nothing left... Boatmurdered is burning...
but op, that's every fort on a long enough timescale

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do mine carts work
Very carefully

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Did they ever put in a win condition or in game goals other than build more stuff?
There is a win condition: Use the same world seed after you built your fort, and let time progress the same amount as you did initially; if your fort survives, you've won.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Having a stack of a few layers fortifications staked on top of each other and hanging from a single vertical bar hooked to a lever, that can be dropped 20 layers on top of anyone below it creates enough concussive force to kill anything, even the worst monsters from the depths.
Best of all, with a bit of planning, a single one of them can cover all entrances with some clever bridge placement, and you can make it multi-shot and reloadable.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tias posted:

wait, how does this work??
I call it The Thumper in my head, but I've never really seen it built anywhere (though I'm not saying someone couldn't have come up with it independently, it's likely someone else has)

You mine out a 3x3 area then create stairs and bridges so that you can create layers of fortications which will link together vertically (with the bridges retracted, they won't attach to the sides), with the top fortication having a vertical bar placed on top of it that connects it to the ceiling (you can also have fortifications+vertical bar hanging from other fortifications+vertical bars for a multi-shot configuration), and at the bottom-most fortification you put a bridge so that you can close it when you need to reload things.
Then you mine out as many layers as you want down and put bridges whenever you want entrances to the fort that you also want the fortifications to fall onto, and hook the bridges and vertical bars up to levers that you can pull if you get invaded by anything from kobolds up to and including titans and/or forgotten beasts.

I once built one, it turned out to be so efficient at killing forgotten beasts that eventually there were no more forgotten beasts and I could mine all the adamantium and ensure my dwarves had everything made out of adamantium.
If you've ever seen a cave-in in Dwarf Fortress, you know how deadly the concussive force can be.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 3, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

The real question is just call it boatmurdered again, a pun name like Shipslaughter, or something original
Surely that'll depend on what fort name generator comes up with. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do think letting it soak for a little while is a good idea, but on the other hand there's something to be said for smithing while the iron is hot.

Still, a mix of vets and new folks will also provide variety in potential for what can happen - either through malice or ignorance, and better if it's difficult to distinguish the two.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tias posted:

This gives my (extremely spatially weak) brain no indication on how to actually build it. Do you reckon one could find a tutorial somewhere?
I came up with it on my own, so I would have absolutely no idea what to look for.
Maybe something along the lines of defense/kill with concussive force?

I can imagine you can build it in other ways too, the basic principle is to drop something via a lever hooked up to a vertical bar.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The argument for a new megathread would be updating all the links and tutorials and so forth for the new version.
Isn't that only an argument if Scamtank wasn't around?
I can ask them if they intend on updating the OP on a Discord we share, if you want.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not like the last post can't contain a link to the new one, so it's not really that big of a deal either.

I'm good either way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

verbal enema posted:

drat this jam is good as hell
I'm pretty sure I can listen to it forever.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

You start with the words: "This is a video game authored by Toady One. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality."
"It menaces with spikes" surely also belongs somewhere in there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's just short of 4 hours of beginners guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLN8cOcTjdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDOYfPkhCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXLf5G6DXw

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How long until the first tantrum spiral?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a7m2 posted:

What are you guys doing for your first embark? I might try finding a volcano
I'm gonna do what I did for my very first embark, and pick a completely random place without any preference, because I didn't know what everything meant.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

I've forgotten how to play it's going to be a shitshow
On a long enough timescale, every fort is a shitshow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aero737 posted:

I just want to settle in a nice mountain meadow and keep bees
250 years later, the bees are overtaking the world.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Version fifty point zero one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's a good name for the world.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell I like the hypertext legends system, it makes it so much easier to explore the world and figure out a plan.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

YOU CAN SEE MULTIPLE Z LEVELS AT THE SAME TIME!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FFT posted:

First report: crashed during worldgen while fiddling with window size lmao
laughing your rear end in sounds painful

EDIT: gently caress, you edited it! Sneaky!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here's a changelog!

Game of all years, imo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"return of underground invasions" from the changelog :ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

"bins bug - no longer need such a need for quantum stockpiles"

Anyone know what that means?
That's a good question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looks like all animals have a personality?