Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So after finally outfitting my militia with the gear I wanted them to have (all it took was stripping them completely naked and then having them ONLY equip the uniform), I am running into a few issues.

I have fortifications overlooking the entrance of my base, but when I station my units on the inside near them they don't shoot out from it. I thought to put the station marker right flush with the wall, but then some of my units go outside, which isn't the point.

I am ending up with more then a few broken bones each fight. They're all kitted out with masterwork iron armor, could it be because they aren't wearing any clothing under the armor and therefore the blows aren't being padded?

I can't get a unit to wear an artifact helmet, even when I have that individual set to equip that specific helmet, exact match. :(

And finally, my Marksman have "going to archery training" or whatever message and then they just kinda sit around not doing anything, often not even near the targets. I found setting them to Inactive helps, but that has problems of it's own.

I remember quitting this game years ago when the first big changes to military were enacted, like with the Arsenal Dwarf and stuff. I find it much more manageable now, but still, some parts of this game are just arcane. And yet I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makaris
May 4, 2009
They're wearing iron mail under an iron breastplate. Also Greaves, Gauntlets, High Boots and a Helm.

And yeah I've tried various combinations of where they're training, swapping around the direction they should be shooting from, making sure I've got like a thousand+ bolts. If they are set to train in a barracks they end up doing that mostly, if it's just the archery range then i got the 'going to archery training' thing. Don't think their is much more I can do to get them to just train D:

Makaris
May 4, 2009
^^^^^ Hello paralysis-breathing forgotten beast. :emo:

So my fortress is going really well, and I want to have my populace start equipping leather just because. How do I get my civilians to prefer leather gear, if there is any way? Or should I just only build leather gear and just wait for the old cloth stuff to rot?

Makaris fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 23, 2014

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So, cavern floor fungus. I want it, but when I breached the caverns it doesn't have any. I'm searching for maybe another cavern deeper down, as the highest one was pretty near the surface, but no luck finding a different, deeper cavern so far. Am I screwed out of floor fungus? Is there a command in DFHack or something that will just let me turn it on?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure what would cause fungus to not be present in the caverns. I've never seen that before. You could try digging down to the crypt or abyss but but if the top layer is missing fungus I don't see why they wouldn't be as well.

Yeah I have no idea. Every other cavern I've ever breached had all the usual mushroom trees and fungus floors. This one's just regular stone, and it's muddy. No clue. I'll keep searching but it'd be neat if there was a utility that just told the game 'yeah you found fungus' so that'd it'd start generating on it's own.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Didn't reclaim. I think that bug is related to making the mud vanish.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Apoffys posted:

I haven't tried it, but this DFHack command looks like it should let you do just that.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack#feature

Brilliant man, you are awesome. It listed off a bunch of cavern options as 'shown', but a few were still hidden, perhaps just off map. Set to those to show and bam, done. Thanks again.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So I got two swordsmasters who are infected. I have soap and a 2 tile deep well with clean water. They've been infected for quite a while now. What do?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
They're still training and moving about fine, so I guess it's no biggie. They've been infected for at least a year. Wish they'd wash the crap off though. But my dwarves don't seem to be huge on hygiene given how much blood has been all over the entire entrance forever.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Do you have a hospital and a chief medical dwarf?

Oh yeah, a whole medical team, hospital with tables, traction, beds, bags with everything and a well with clean water. I'll try deactivating the squad; maybe they've been too busy training nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Welp, I'm not a Mountainhome, and I haven't seen traders in a year. No idea why, but I have a lot of half-rotted crap I want to get rid of. Why would this happen?