Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I could read what was happening on an old DF screenshot pretty quick, going to take a bit to get used to new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man the key commands seem bizarre now that they aren't your only way of interacting with the game.

What do you mean that to place a door, perhaps the most common item in the game, it's b - p - r. Only one of my hands is on the keyboard now, I can't be doing letters all over the place.

Is there a way to place multiples of one object in the new system?

When you place there is a checkbox that lets you do multiple.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Gosts posted:

if i have a light aquifer that is multiple layers deep, and i dig a multi-tile-deep hole in it, will it eventually fill up all the way to the top level of that hole? or will it just go 'nah there's no ground below me'.

Water has a depth (that you can toggle visible in the settings) so on any tile it can get up to 7 deep, then I believe it'll push up if there is enough pressure to.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

edit: goodbye enormous wall of text, hello downloadable text file!

Navigate to install dir>data>init, rename your old file and simply drop this one into place.

Now your game will pause, recenter, AND give you a popup box for the following events:

Migrants
Ambushes
Skulking Thieves
Snatchers
Caravans
Caravans Need Depot
Caravans Bypass Site
Noble arrivals
Diplomats
Liaisons
Cave Collapse
Citizen Births
Strange Moods
Strange Mood Building Claiming
Artifact Creation
Artifact Naming
Megabeast Arrival
Werebeast Arrival
Citizen Death
Ghost Attack
Undead Attack
Strange Cloud
Trained Animal Reverts to Wild
Noble Position Succession
Citizen Lost to Stress
Citizen Tantrum
Citizen Snatched
Election Results
New Demand
New Mandate
Possessed Tantrum
Deity Curse
Crime Witnesses
"End Game Events"

Just requoting this because I searched back a ways for it in case anyone else is looking.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

A Dingo Man named Bendi Flutetrampled who is a bard showed up at my tavern. He has poor social awareness, is not creative, and is overconfident.

He is requesting to stay so he can entertain. I feel like I have to say yes.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

How do I create uniforms? I accidentally deleted the default ones in the squad menu and can't figure out how to add them back.

I did the same thing, you have to select a squad and go to the Equip menu where you can Add a Uniform.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I keep getting humans showing up to steal my artifacts and promptly getting murdered by whichever squad is around.

Also, still working on getting that Dingo Man bard to do something interesting.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

My taverns and library are now full of nude elves and humans and the occasional nude Goblin Poet or Bard. I am unsure why my fortress is where the nudists have decided to congregate.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

i vomit kittens posted:

Clothes decay over time and I think babies born in your fortress don't automatically get clothes. If you haven't made any new ones, that might be why.

Do visitors stick around long enough to have that happen?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Khanstant posted:

lol beware using nearest material. i was wondering where all my gold and iron and some other metals went... i used them to make floors and walls in random places. theres random chunks of my fortress all over just smoothed and detailed metal floors and walls mixed with wood and stone

That does sound pretty dwarfy though

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had a Kiwi Cock on the map that was getting hunted so I was getting updates about the Kiwi Cock steady for a few minutes and it made me chuckle.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PDP-1 posted:

This game would benefit so much from some more detailed tool tips or descriptive labels.

For example, if when hovering over the "ashery >potash" menu line a tooltop popped up explaining that it could be used for fertilizing farms and when hovering over the "farm > fertilize farm" button the tool tip explained that you need potash for that action it'd go a long way toward helping new players learn game mechanics without alt-tabbing out to a browser.

There are also a ton of quirky mechanics (e.g. what constitutes a meager office?) that could be easily covered in-game via tooltips.

Yea, I guess my "queue it up and look at the errors generated" probably isn't the best way to deal with stuff like that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Had a forgotten beast show up across the map in my first cavern that was a blind fire blob. It burned a bunch of fungus, killed some Olm men that were hanging out over there and then wandered back off screen. Very anticlimactic.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Appoda posted:

Unless they're high skill, they need to be up against the fortifications to shoot through them. When you have a kill target marked they should do it automatically, but marksdwarves seem kinda borked right now. Try making them station near the edge, or patrol in a circle around your perimeter.

On a related note, anyone else getting forgotten beasts basically all the time? I'm only four years in on a 424-yo world and I think I'm up to seven appearances.

I didn't get any for the first 7 years, then I got three suddenly.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Two kids and a foal got stuck in a tree and I didn't know until the kids were already dead. The foal had reverted to a skeleton already.

What is a horse even doing in a tree?

Sounds like a Pippi Longstockings situation, or Pippi Shortstockings in this case.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Would be nice if the bins were labeled accordingly then: Figurine Bin, Earring Bin, Mug Bin, etc.

Would make it convenient for trading.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cave swallow men keep attacking in my 3rd cavern riding Elk Birds and sending war jabberers at me. Lost a quarter of my dwarves but I survived and am building up defenses down there. Caused the king to leave though so that's actually kind of handy.

Also losing folks sending some of my most angry dwarves to other sites so I don't have to deal with them.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Retired my first fort, Pureseal, because I was getting tired of dealing with cave sparrow man and olm man raids in the caverns.

It led to me poking around Legends and I found the most badass Dwarf from that fortress: Zulban Stakescrapes the Armored Aura of Ivy.

Zulban came to Pureseal at the age of 27 in the year 103 and became a scholar, almost immediately authoring Treatise On The Axioms. He was also drafted to help defend the fort and fought in 10 different seiges, assaults, and onslaughts. In the meantime he also authored The Hidden Meaning Of Animal Diseases and Mysteries of Surveying.

Zulban found a calling in 107 though when he struck down the forgotten beast Sarek Perplexdream with the bismuth bronze axe he then named The Flame Of Flanking. Zulban went on to kill 3 more forgotten beasts with The Flame of Flanking as well as a three-eyed brute released from obsidian. Overall he has 35 kills with this axe alone and continues to live on protecting Pureseals from man, beast, and goblin.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Bronze Colossus just killed everything that lived at my fort. My two full squads in iron everything only managed to dent its foot. Guess I should've gone to steel sooner.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I got a forbidden beast yesterday that was a blob made of flame that shoots webs moments after I breached the first caverns. I eventually realized webs start on fire so it was essentially a sticky flamethrower. That didn't seem fair.

The only reason it hasn't killed everyone in my fort yet is because all that fire caused the FPS to drop to about 2. Might be time to abandon that one.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Click the magnifying glass next to it on either the workshop queue or the work order: there's a whole UI for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQLG0ErBqE

Since I learned this, I've been adding statues of the deceased to tombs. My stoneworker keeps picking unflattering poses to memorialize though, like divorces or that time they got sick.

Holy crap, I always heard people say they carved statues of specific things, did not know how. I thought maybe they just made a shitload of statues until the right one came out.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

webs arent a joke

Just wait until you get a web shooter that is made of fire. Webs burn.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I had a child claim a craftsdwarfs workshop ages ago (no idea actually how long). He's asking for rough gems, cut gems, wood, rock, cloth, and metal bars. So far he has accumulated one iron bar, one unit of hematite, one cut gem, one log, zero rough gems, and about a jillion units of wool cloth. Can I do anything about this, or is he doomed to sleep contened upon the world's hugest pile of cloth until the end of his days (which may come about sooner than expected at this point :arghfist: )?

e: to be clear, I have surplus of everything he's asking for, unforbidden, and a variety of plant and silk cloth

Have any rough glass? I needed that for a mood once and it took me a bit to realize that's what they were actually asking for.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've been making 3x3 bedrooms along mined ore veins and it gives it such a great look to me. I'll mine out a hallway or two to find more ore veins, but fitting them in more naturally is nice.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I will have one near the surface and usually one by each cavern layer, typically so monster slayers can hang out and go deal with creatures in the caverns easily. Not sure how well it actually works.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

moller posted:

Hey check out these rat pants

Those are pretty great pants

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had a were-incident, but luckily only one other dwarf was bit so I expelled them right away and things have been going smoothly. Surely this will never come back to haunt me.

Also going with my strategy of outfitting everyone in silk shirts and leather pants again as their only choices which just amuses me to think about.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Had a dragon show up to my heavily wooded map. Almost killed it without losing too many dwarves when a tree it started on fire collapsed on top of it and stunned it long enough for my army to get it injured and bleeding. Unfortunately it wasn't quite enough and it got back up and proceeded to slaughter about 110 of my dwarves until one of the monster slayers that was living in the fort was able to take it down for good just outside of the tavern. I was left with about 13 occupants of my fort and destroyed infrastructure and burning artifacts all over. I decided to stick with it and attempt to rebuild.

I'm back up around 50 dwarves now, fires are all out, most of the dead are entombed or memorialized, and I've rebuilt bigger. Now I'm just getting underground invaders but I have a pretty good murder tunnel built to take care of them that gets reinforced with their own weapons after each attack. Things are going well.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I just have a repeating job to make shell crafts until there aren't any more shells.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Happy Litterbox posted:

Speaking of children. I've realized they are important for your fort to function. I tend to play forts for 20 years+ and as soon as all children are adults everything just falls apart, nobody is doing all these low priority hauling tasks anymore. Metal bars never leaving the smelter, corpses lying everywhere. Especially after invasions it can take quite a while until someone considers putting away all the loot and skeletons and fills the minecart for the trash shaft. (After a rather big army visited me I had to turn off invasions for a few years just to get rid of the trash.) And yes I have dwarfs set to do noting but hauling but they tend to think other items are more important.

On the other hand, no more lil psychos whose kill list grows with all my legendary dwarfs. So it has it's advantages.

I will assign a bunch of peasents as they join the fort to hauling only, seems to do well when there is a child shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

hbag posted:

a ghost just punched one of my dwarves' entire leg off

He didn't stand a ghost of a chance.