Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I gave my soldiers leather hoods in addition to their steel helms, and all that seems to happen is they get their brains pulped through their x+jaguar leather hoods+x. I notice the same thing with cloaks as well.

Is it a bug (i.e. the metal armour is being ignored) or does the combat info only show the last layer to be penetrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah I've had the odd dwarf survive head injuries too. My concern was just whether or not leather armour layers (or other clothing items) were interfering with metal ones.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Equipping dwarves is indeed super loving annoying, but by and large I've gotten them to wear the right gear: a full metal ensemble with a hood and cloak to boot (the wiki says you can layer something like 6 cloaks and hoods but I don't really have the leather to do that and it's hard enough as it is getting them to wear one of the drat things). The only exception is four dwarves in one of my squads who refuse to put on their metal gauntlets - there are about two dozen spare ones available - and of course every single battle their hands/arms are the first things to get smashed/torn/wrenched away. :argh:

Also I can see in their inventories that they have both their metal and leather gear equipped. It's just that I almost never see attacks getting deflected by the metal armour, even with high armour skill dwarves. It's usually the hoods and cloaks that crop up in the combat log, which is why I'm hoping that it's simply reporting the last layer to be struck, meaning the metal armour was beaten as well, and their heavy-rear end breastplates and whatnot are not just useless adornments. It's certainly true that when they're not wearing leather, I see a lot more metal armour reports instead.

By the way, why did the developer think it was a good idea for dwarves to carry bins loaded with gear around when picking up one item? It seems like part of the reason it's so frustraingly difficult getting dwarves to equip themselves in a correct and prompt manner is that some rear end in a top hat is carting a bin full of spears and swords from the armoury stockpile around just so he can fetch a copper axe some idiot woodcutter dropped when he got shanked 80 levels down.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it's really kind of dumb there isn't a specialized woodcutting axe that doesn't share a stockpile with military weapons.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 15, 2014

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
But at least with those things they just add extra detail or challenge to the game. Superfluous or overly difficult perhaps (I had elephants on my previous embark site and I never had trouble with them personally), but not especially egregious. Tying up containers full of stuff other dwarves need just to fetch one item seems like a really bad design decision, full stop.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Ogantai posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the 2.0, the original Slaves to Armok was even worse. :gonk:

Having never seen the first game, I had to look it up and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ARLSii23w8

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I maintain there needs to be a noble position called "Geologist" who sits in his study all day and it reveals random tiles throughout the map. As he gets better in skill, more tiles are revealed more regularly and the selection gets biased toward metal veins and gem deposits. Exploratory mining isn't fun.

I believe Gnomes get a building that's somewhat similiar to this in Masterwork, something called an excavation site that allows them to scan for nearby gems and ore. I've only just started playing Masterwork, though, and haven't had a chance to use it yet.