Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
How do you see if a moody dwarf needs a certain resource to "get it out of their system"? My mason went from moody to insane, stripped naked and ran around the fort babbling incoherently until he died of dehydration and I'm not sure if I could've done something to sate his craftlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Vichan posted:

Assigning uniforms is such a pain, can I get my military dwarves to just wear whatever?

Try assigning them a uniform that's just a weapon of their choice and allow partial match, that should get them to pick up arms and wear whatever I think.

I didn't really get the uniform system so my two squads just practiced wrasslin' for years until my first major encounter, a forest titan. It picked off a lone lumber dwarf on its way to my fort, but my squads cornered it, pushed it down and beat it into submission.

Overall my third(?) fort is going very well right now, after a lot of trial and error trying to irrigate myself a mushroom farm plot and punching through babby's first aquifier. My population has exploded to 150+, my tavern is attracting absurd amounts of travelers and bards, religions and guilds are thriving and I'm easily buying out everything of interest from caravans. Four years in, my only deaths have been the one titan-mauled guy, and two bar brawl casualties. My engineer and blacksmith got into a drunken fight in my absolutely packed tavern, dragging in over a dozen other characters who presumably tried to stop the fight. Both of my dwarves survived the fight unscathed, but two bystanders got injured and died while in the hospital. I like this game a lot.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Is it normal that hunted boars start vomiting uncontrollably after getting shot? It's making my huntsdwarf's life very easy, I'm just a little concerned.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Khanstant posted:

Dunno if this place is bugged or what.

Must be the antmen...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Athanatos posted:

I made a barracks and assigned a squad and they spend all day putting armor on the rack, putting it on, going to put it in a stockpile elsewhere.

What did I mess up here?

My barracks are empty rooms and my squads happily put on their gear and train as scheduled, try remaking your squad and barracks with minimal bells and whistles.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've yet to see magma, time to settle on a volcano!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My volcano fort started out pretty well, magma workshops save a lot of time and construction is going nicely. I think I embarked as a really small or distant faction however, because almost 2 years in I'm still at 19 population with a few migrant waves of 0, even though I offloaded thousands of mugs of profit for the caravan, I could really use a militia and some more mining, crafting and hauling pairs of hands. I made one of my less skilled crafters into a hunter, but turns out he's clumsy and very quick to tire, making even the skittish and cowardly elephants very tricky to hunt which thoroughly soured his mood.
A bit of Fun occurred when a magma spider (crab? I can't remember) hopped out of the volcano and swiftly killed one of my crafters, hopping back into the lava before I had a chance to react. I'm still digging down and hoping to give that aquifer for some fresh water to get a hospital set up, but so far I'm at -10 with no sign of water. Let's hope for a good group of migrants to fill up my fort and round out my dwarves' skill set in the next wave, don't worry guys, the sauna fortress isn't THAT hot!
I'd appreciate a gang tag too, if they're still being handed out. I can't believe I've already sunk around 40 hours into this, even if a chunk of it is having the game paused while I'm dealing with work. I tried and bounced off the original pretty hard a while back, but this release has me hooked.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
There's a goblin siege approaching and this dwarven child won't stop playing make believe on the drawbridge, I don't want to do this to you kid I'm begging you just go into the burrow like everyone else and let my squads handle this.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

toasterwarrior posted:

Do soldiers need all this furniture for their barracks furnishings? Bed, chest, armor and weapon racks, cabinet?

My barracks are just empty rooms for sparring and my squads are doing fine, picking up their gear from whatever general equipment stockpiles.

In other learned-it-the-hard-way news, don't send your nobility or other office and dining room holding dwarves on raiding missions, they forget that they had those rooms and get cranky until you realize you need to reassign the rooms to them.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

tak posted:

the disband squad button is right below the remove orders button lol

DO get the interface tweaks mod from steam workshop, it turns the disband button into a trash bin, reducing accidental disbands by 90%.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Volcano fort news: things have been quiet for a while, I crushed the two nearby goblin villages and their farther cousins sent a very middling raid party to my fort and got promptly slaughtered.
I've been training up my squads and setting up a trap corridor, waiting for the other foot to drop and... finally a challenge! An ettin is approaching my fort! Into the burrows, raise the drawbridge, guard the stairs and wait for it to walk the corridor of death!
Turns out the ettin was weak and cowardly, and one macedwarf and one herbalist were enough to pummel it to death. The only casualty on my side was a cat that got mauled by the ettin, and one of my dwarves fell into the spike pit and injured his leg...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I was wondering why none of the caravans had any literature, but my world is only 50 years old so obviously there aren't that many great works made yet. My scholars have been studying and copying a scroll called "The Possibilities Of Kosoth Stockadelungs", authored by the man himself, that concerns his career change from animal dissector to gem cutter right before my fort was settled. After years of study, one of my dwarves has come up with a new title, "Commentary On The Murky Tower", that concerns a masterful rope reed right mitten created in my fort. The library must be my favorite zone so far.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
:yeshaha: I finished my outer drawbridge and trap corridor, the last goblin raid got three traps deep before abandoning their raid and running away.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My fort is going too well, the queen moved in...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

emSparkly posted:

My current fort is the first one I've made any real progress on and I was able to get through a light aquifer just by tricky channeling. How do I actually use the water to my advantage though? There's no river here.

Make a room that has some of the leaky aquifier walls and patch it up, it'll slowly start filling up with water. Dig a channel somewhere in it for the mud to pool in, and dig a hole a level above it to put a well there. So you have a water-filled room with a pit in the middle, and you have a room above it with a well that can draw fresh water from the tile that has a mud-catching hole in it. Someone smarter than me could probably figure out how to use it for waterwheels too.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I satisfied the royalty's demands with my massive gold hoards, goblins took over the elf outpost next door and are ramping up their assaults, a grievously wounded forgotten beast appeared at the bottom of my water-filled caverns and hosed off after splashing around there for a while, and I keep digging down because the queen told me to. Hauling anything up from -100 to my workshops is going to be a nightmare.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way to search (either when assigning an item to a pedestal or in the stocks menu) specifically for named artifact items? I have a bunch lying around but I don't know what item type they are :(

In the pedestal or stocks menu? I don't think so. There's a separate objects view next to the nobles menu in the bottom left that lists out all your artifacts though.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I don't know exactly who Lene Mivocėthitu is, I can't find them in my fort, but they've written everything there is to know about... rain

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Popete posted:

I've got two injured dwarves sitting in the corner of my hospital. Nobody will come over and diagnose or treat them, I have a chief medical dwarf appointed and traction benches with splints/cloth in the hospital. What's missing?

You need to assign doctors to the hospital zone from the zone details menu.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm having the worst (best?) luck with forgotten beasts this run. I had one made of smoke, two of them spawned in the caverns but couldn't find a way to my fortress so one of them killed the other then ran off, now one has spawned on top of a cave mushroom and won't get down, and another one is stuck in the corridors of the caves, immobilized by its own boiling extract bursts.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Jesus, I started a new fort in a new, older world to get away from my megafort, and found a lovely mountain stream next to a homey volcano. Too bad the location ended up being too good to be true, because it was already occupied by a hydra that drove by just a minute after my embark and ate my woodworker. Let's see if we can get a fort going before all of my dwarves turn into hydra food.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Any tips for deep earth living? Magma forges from my volcano forts spoiled me, so this time I dug down aggressively and found hot rocks at around -110, luckily I'm only at 21 population so far so migrating won't be a massive pain. Walled up some cavern pastures and farm plots. I'm still thinking about having a 'visitors center' at the entrance with a tavern, a library, guildhalls and temples, but maybe setting all that up at -100 would be more convenient and the visitors can just take the stairs...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Broken Cog posted:

Out of curiosity, do people prefer to generate older or younger worlds?
I usually just do 100 years, but I've heard people say that in younger worlds you're more likely to find megabeasts, while in older worlds you'll have more advanced civilizations, and usually more undead and vampires around.

Are the differences noticeable?

I noticed that in my 50 year old world the caravans pretty much never had any literature because not a lot had been written, copied and distributed in such a short amount of time.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I decided to get back into DF after taking some months off, started off with a cute volcano fort and everything was going nicely. I settled far away from my civilization so I played with a low population fort for a couple of years, then got 30+ migrants in one wave. There I was, happily carving up more bedrooms, trying to rush out as many doors and beds as I can to get my new dwarfs settled in, when the wereelephant attacked.
It didn't even make it inside, only managed to slaughter my grazing animals, a child and a huntsdwarf before getting bested by a member of my militia, no big deal, right? Prepare some coffins, carve up some tombs and make sure my hospital is stocked up?
Yeah, now the wereelephant outbreaks started. This fort is hosed.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
After one more wave of migrants into the meatgrinder I decided to pull the plug - lift the drawbridge and flood the fort with magma. Only two survivors remained, an uninfected miller stuck in my trade depot who I managed to send away before she perished, and my infected expedition leader, still doing tasks at the surviving upper level of the fort, haunted by his dead comrade, occasionally turning full elephant and rushing outside to gore wild animals or passerbys. A short but sweet run, never letting anyone who touched a werebeast back into the fort ever again.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The fun really ramps up once you have the basics down, then you can focus on silly projects, try and solve whatever problems the RNG throws your way, attempt embarks in more terrifying biomes and figure out more and more unique and fun ways to lose.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Same world, new fort, AGAIN a wereelephant shows up two years in. This time everyone even slightly injured in the battle got exiled, tough luck but I'm not taking any chances.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
This kid punching a wounded giant cave spider to death :eyepop:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Goobish posted:

I think it was my 3rd fortress where I had multiple taverns, because everyone loved to party so hard. I would have a huge migration, and they crowded the tavern, so I'd add another tavern, and then more migrants kept coming to party, so add another one. This happened a ridiculous amount of times and I got up to like 140 dwarves without knowing what the gently caress I'm really doing lol. And then I was overrun with bards! I have a hard time saying no, so whenever a bard asked to join, I accepted. Well 30 bards later my taverns are freakin' poppin, and I started to have some warriors show up and ask to join. Which was awesome because I still have no idea how to set up any kind of defenses. I can't recall if that fortress actually died, or if i just quit it because i was so overwhelmed with the population at the time, being so new to the game. But man they loved to party hard while it lasted. None of my recent runs have been that obsessed with parties, not even in the least. I also haven't achieved that high of a population since, either.

My first forts had problems with insanely busy taverns, resulting in tons of bards trying to move in, barfigths, skeevy customers and so on, so I've started restricting my taverns to citizens only. This fort, I'm getting dozens of monster hunters eager to move in and mull around in my relatively empty caverns, I guess they heard there's tons of booze and not a lot of monsters so they're trying to freeload :shrug:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
What's causing all these miasma clouds in my barracks? I don't see any rotten, hacked off body parts lying around or anything, what's up?

Oh... You should go get your baby looked at...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I decided that a volcano embark is cheating because it gets you quick and easy magma as early as you need it, so I started a new fort. After a few bad embarks where the aquifiers and caves ate up all my living space, I managed to get a nice fort underway and get acquainted with magma pump stacks. I had a vampire incident kinda early on, but I got it under control and now my immortal mayor will be doing managerial duties and accounting in her sealed off chamber until she loses her sanity. I also got a visit from a cyclops but the war hippogryphs grazing at the entrance of my fort kicked it to death before it could reach my traps. I'm currently working on setting up my military and digging a grand staircase I can use to execute my prisoners.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I also have a sage writing dwarf erotica

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Trip report: the new fort is going along swimmingly. Up to 200 dwarves now, made my first power generators and mist machines, getting tons of visitors in my tourist trap tavern and temple, and massive cave fish people raids. My sealed off vampire mayor has been an absolute blessing, my guests can't spam me with petitions if they can't make it into the office, and she's happily managing my work orders and counting stocks in her cubicle. My sage is pumping out a ton of written works, my engravers are lining my halls with masterworks, stockpiles are overflowing with food, booze and metalwork, everything is going great. Tried to send a raid party to a 10 population evil dwarf/goblin fort nearby but turns out it had a demon in charge, let's hope I can make a tough enough raiding party to clear out all those hoarded artifacts at some point.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Wagons skipped me for a while because they couldn't pass my trap corridor, passing by my map with a notice that they couldn't arrive and only bringing in what the merchants could carry on their beasts of burden. According to the wiki it's too late to try and open up once the merchants arrive and you get the notice that the wagons couldn't reach you.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Any tips for making custom schedules for your squads? If I f.ex. want to set up squads so my dwarves spend a month every year rasslin' to give them happy thoughts, the squad UI to do this feels really unwieldy, I always end up going with one of the default presets for my military.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Wafflecopper posted:

why would you want your dwarves to stop punching crocodiles to death though

The forge is for making steel gauntlets, for more efficient punching.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3973931474165976101

More adventure mode news! Looking forward to how this leads into myths and magic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I really like building libraries and reading the random poo poo my dwarves come up with, so having magic, inventions or whatever else as a byproduct would be just gravy. Let my dwarves create a spell that dries your left glove, or invent even shorter swords, I'll take anything.