Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You mean you don't constantly drown in real life when you dig a small hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Setting up a proper uniform set for your military dwarves is not easy. Happily for all involved, I made a post on the bay12forums which just tells you exactly what you need to do: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124872.msg4185859#msg4185859. That post was part of a discussion about how to get marksdwarfs to use their melee weapons, but the spoilered bit is a step by step guide on how to properly equip uniforms. Feel free to ignore the parts that focus too terribly on crossbows and axes, though I do feel that remains the optimal setup for any military squad.

I have reproduced the spoilered, step by step guide:

Step 1. Escape out of any screens, then hit (z): status. Go to the stocks, and navigate down to one of the clothing options: headwear, bodywear, legwear, footwear, handwear. Ensure that in at least one of these categories, there is a type of clothing item that has as many free units as dwarfs you wish to equip; for example, if you want to equip six dwarfs, make sure there are six free shirts, or trousers, or cloaks, or whatever. If you do not have at least that many clothing items available, buy or create some then come back to this guide. I will refer to this item as, "S1 clothing," throughout this guide.

Step 2. Escape out of any screens, then hit (m)ilitary. Hit (u)niforms, then hit (c): add uniform, and (N)ame this uniform whatever you like. I will refer to this uniform as, "S1 Naked," throughout this guide. Using the hotkeys visible on this screen, add the "S1 clothing item" to "S1 Naked," and do not add anything else. Make sure to also hit (r)eplace civilian clothes.

Step 3. Escape out of any screens, then hit (m)ilitary. Hit (u)niforms, then hit (c): add uniform, and (N)ame this uniform whatever you like. I will refer to this uniform as, "S1 Uniform," throughout this guide. Using the hotkeys visible on this screen, add whatever uniform items you are going to use for the squad's combat uniform, and make sure you equip everything in the right order. I am not going to walk you through permit, size, shape, and other things specific to armour items: that is a guide unto itself. Just make sure that you assign the "shields," before the "crossbows," in the list, and the "crossbows," before the "battle axes," in the list. To my knowledge the optimal choices for each of these would be adamantine shields, platinum crossbows, and adamantine battle axes, but the material is not relevant to this guide.

Step 4. Escape out of any screens, and find a place where your dwarfs will do their changing between the two uniforms you have
created and any civilian clothes they might have. Make sure that this space can be sealed off completely from the rest of your fortress, such as with a door. You are going to define two burrows and two stockpiles in this area. I will call them "B1," "B2," "P1," and "P2," in this guide. Define an armor stockpile, "P1," which will only hold the specific "clothing item," that you chose for "S1 Naked," perhaps whatever other clothes your future military dwarfs are wearing.

Step 5. Define the first burrow, "B1," to cover the first stockpile, "P1," and assign your future military dwarfs to this burrow. Wait a little bit for any hauling necessary to put the necessary quantity of "clothing item," in the stockpile, "P1," and visually check to make sure you have the minimum number you need before proceeding to Step 6.

Step 6. Remove any labors that your military dwarfs might have, and they should go to B1 unless they are injured or trapped somewhere else at the time. If either of these is the case, then either fix those dwarfs or pick different ones. The purpose of B1 and P1 is so that you can order your dwarfs to go directly to that stockpile and limit the things they can interact with to only those things in that stockpile.

Step 7. Escape out of any screens. Go to the (m)ilitary screen, and add the dwarfs in B1 to a squad, which I will call in this guide "S1," but which you can name whatever you like. If you do not have a squad, create one; if you do not have a militia captain or a militia commander, assign one from the nobles screen, then create the squad, then assign the dwarfs to it.

Step 8. Assign the uniform, "S1 Naked," to the squad, "S1," by first going to the (e)quip screen, and then selecting (U): Assign Uniform, and making sure you use Shift+Enter rather than Enter to assign the uniform to the entire squad.

Step 9. Escape out of any screens. Go to the (m)ilitary screen, then to the (s)chedule screen, and make sure the squad, "S1," is set to Training for the present month. You should probably just set them to train every month while you're at it. You should also probably break up that training order to include multiple orders for a minimum of two dwarfs, but the reasons why are beyond the scope of this guide. While you are in the schedule screen, set your orders for dwarfs to (u): Inactive = Uniformed. This last bit should prevent the dwarfs from ever equipping civilian clothes, which might potentially mess up your equipment order for armours.

Step 10. Escape out of any screens and unpause the game if necessary. Open the (s)quads interface, and make sure the squad status for the squad, "S1," is set to (t)raining/active. The dwarfs in the squad, "S1," should dump what they are wearing and put on the uniform, "S1 Naked," consisting of one "clothing item" for each dwarf.

Step 11. Escape out of any screens and select (v)iew, and then visually check the (i)nventory of each of your military dwarfs to guarantee that he is only wearing the single "clothing item" from the uniform, "S1 Naked," and nothing else. If he is wearing anything else, then you will need to create a garbage dump activity zone within the first burrow, "B1," and order the individual items he has equipped to be dumped. Proceed to step 12 only after the dwarfs are properly equipped with only the single "clothing item," from the uniform, "S1 Naked," to guarantee no problems.

Step 12. Define a second armor stockpile, "P2," within your equipment changing area, and set it to only accept the specific types and materials of items you have designated for your combat uniform, "S2 Uniform," and wait for your haulers to deliver the items. Proceed to step 13 only after you have ensured that all equipment necessary to fully outfit your squad, "S1," in their combat uniform, "S1 Uniform," at which point you may also lock the door to the equipment changing area.

Step 13. Define your second burrow, "B2," such that it encompasses both your first stockpile, "P1," and your second stockpile, "P2," and assign your military dwarfs, "S1," to this second burrow.

Step 14. Escape out of any screens, and go to the (m)ilitary screen. Assign the combat uniform, "S1 Uniform," to the squad, "S1," and then unpause the game. Your military dwarfs should now dump their "clothing item," from the uniform, "S1 Naked," and equip the items from the uniform, "S1 Uniform," in the proper order.

Double check that your dwarfs are properly equipped. If you followed the steps in this guide correctly, then the (i)nventory list for each dwarf should be functionally identical: the only differences for each dwarf should be the quality of the items equipped, but their order in the (i)nventory should be identical. If for some reason your dwarfs have not equipped things in the right order, then depending on how you layered their armour this might cause some things to simply not be equipped or to be ineffective. For the purpose of ensuring that your marksdwarf squad uses their axes (or spears or swords), rather than their crossbows, in melee, the only relevant concern is that the shields appear before the crossbows, and that the crossbows appear before the edged melee weapon.

If you try this guide a few times, and it still leaves you with half-equipped dwarfs, then an even more elaborate method is to create a series of uniforms, where the first contains the first item you want your dwarfs to equip, e.g., a steel helm, the second contains both the first item and the second item, e.g., a steel helm and a leather hood, and so on, with each sequential uniform having one more item, until your final uniform is what you want the dwarfs to wear. You would then, over the course of several in-game months, slowly order the dwarfs to shift from one uniform to the next in the list, until eventually you end up with something like the uniform I described earlier in this post for my own military dwarfs.

If you're still lost, then I cannot help you.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 15, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

By the way, why did the developer think it was a good idea for dwarves to carry bins loaded with gear around when picking up one item?

Why did the developer think it was a good idea for carp and elephants to be terrifying murder beasts?
Why did the developer think it was a good idea to model every different type of creature's blood as separate liquids?

There are just so many questions.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the time when I made that post, there was some argument as to whether Adamantine or Steel was the preferred all-around armour, but the layering order is correct. The axe should definitely be Adamantine in order to be the best; also, the crossbow and shield should be made of silver, so that their bashing damage is improved. Those last two upgrades are very minor, since the material used in the crossbow and shield do not in any way influence their primary use (shooting and blocking): at least in vanilla, crossbows made of any material are identical as ranged weapons, and shields made of any material are equally good at blocking. You could also upgrade the socks to Adamantine for a provably superior, if marginal upgrade; but, I think everyone here would agree that would be wasteful since even clothes made out of Adamantine eventually degrade.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am a bit of a dwarf sperg, but what the hell are those graphs. :psydwarf:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to Measure the amount of pressure in pressurized liquids? I know they will flow til they reach the level of the origin point, if they are an infinite source but how about finite amounts under pressure?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

It could be that, normally I have the ghouls outside where the miasma doesn't start blasting everywhere.

Something neat though with Masterwork as is, even playing as dwarves they still retain the warlocks "butcher everything ever" attitude and actually butcher things that aren't simple minded quadrupeds. Waiting to see if I can have my dwarves butcher kobolds and eat their delicious meat.

Use the bones of your slain enemies to make armor and weapons with which to slay the next batch. Is it possible to use bone as a weapon material (other than bolts) in Masterwork? Building an hall of halberd weapon traps and serrated disk traps made of various sentient creature bones seems simultaneously :psydwarf: :black101: :unsmigghh:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carsius posted:

You can, in fact, make bone traps and such at the boneyard, though they deal an insignificant amount of damage.

Do it anyway. So what if the individual traps do insignificant damage? Just make more of them! Sure, you might want a few real traps thrown in to ensure they don't actually live through your trap tunnel, or a military squad to kill them if they do, but "not enough damage" is a problem that will resolve itself if you just keep adding the bones of every slain enemy to the arsenal.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sometimes wonder how many apparent oversights like that are oversights and how many are intentional.

The thing where a dwarf picks a particular unit of material for a job and then cancels the job if that unit is missing for whatever reason, e.g. someone else got to it first or it is being moved in a container, seems like an oversight. But the thing where a dwarf obsessively tries to wash an internal body part seems silly enough to be on purpose. Perhaps in some future iteration such physical symptoms will give rise to mental conditions brought on by the constant awareness or belief that one is dirty on the inside, etc.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the solution to blood on internal body parts is to boil away the blood. :downs:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of all these things you can do with DFHack, such as workflow, is there any sign of anything useful being added in the next version of the game or is everything just going to be tacked on and a new dfhack version needed?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

I'll make some of those honey changes, thanks!

On the subject of Masterwork, apparently v.4j is the newest version as of 27 March, but as far as I can tell the latest changelog is from v.4i. Am I just not seeing it?

The guy who runs Masterwork likes to post projects whose workflow are not quite finished. He has in the past posted updates that still linked to the old download, for example. PM him about it on the bay12forums and/or wait a few days.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always just only keep one female cat and butcher the rest. Solves the population issue.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:xcom:, I mean Dwarf Fortress.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So where does the beak come in? Perhaps it is a flying snake. Only things with beaks can fly, ergo beakdog.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If and when you decide to start considering your dwarfs individually, the main concern should be their likes rather than their stats. Physical stats are the least of your worries: you can train a dwarf from feeble to mighty in a few months of danger room training, mining, or pump operating; often, the tasks you have these guys do are directly beneficial to the fortress while strengthening them for battle. Mental and social stats are a bit more worrisome, both because of limited opportunity to use them and because some of them can actively be detrimental to your fortress; for example, dwarfs socializing in the meeting area are simultaneously building their social skills and associated stats, building friendships that contribute to tantrum spirals, and doing nothing useful. And at the far end of the spectrum are the random likes and dislikes a dwarf has, which influence his good or bad thoughts and the quality of his work. You would be far better off training a weakling who loves steel to be your weaponsmith than to take a dwarf with high strength out of the box.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that you lose much by no longer having nobility, at least in vanilla.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

05/06/2014 - "Real-world health is all back to normal, which is good. Stopped a problem whereby starting a dwarf adventurer in a deep site sometimes landed you on a mountain top. Broadened adv depot item choice a bit. Fixed some new dwarf mode skill-gain issues (e.g. skills based on spotting sneakers were all out of whack). Fixed a subset of migrants that had broken dreams and values. Patched up markets that had developed some new problems. Along with the bug fixes, there are various checks we're getting through relatively unscathed. For instance, I made myself super-fast and ran just far enough that my companions were offloaded and they were still able to catch up eventually (spending a moment in army form). They also found their way home when I fired them without issues." - Toady One, Bay12Games

I want to read more about broken dreams and values, and how this affects dwarfs and their fortress. :allears:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe a bird stole him and then dropped him?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
count down til lowtax gets a call from the fbi

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

Prediction for the first few weeks of the next version: crazy poo poo happens all the time and the best part of the game is trying to figure out why.

p much dwarf_fortress.txt and the reason this game initially appealed to me

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my wood-cutters don't haul anything. Putting the furnace "downstream" of the primary seems like it would mean that I'd have to wait for someone to move something to primary and *then* someone to decide to haul something to the furnace one. I guess that only matters if they both get really low, in which case I have more to deal with.

The method you describe is exactly how I do stockpiles in my fortresses. There are big, unorganized stockpiles for stone, wood, and so on (because I am too lazy to make minecarts for quantum stockpiles), and there are small stockpiles surrounding each workshop which will only receive the stuff useful for them. I set up links between Stone Stockpile and the Mason Shop Stockpile, for example, and have excess haulers.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flavahbeast posted:

I think the reverse is happening, single thread performance is the most important metric if I'm buying a CPU because multithreading is so often underutilized

I build a new PC a few months ago, and my choice in processor (i5 4670) was made entirely on its single-thread performance reviews.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

The human caravan just got so scared that their wagons exploded.

What? Why? How?

:stare:

Although an explanation has been provided, I like to imagine this is exactly what happened.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never rode out a full development cycle before. How long do we expect it to be before Toady stops putting out new patches every week or so? As excited as I am for the new version, I have avoided playing while waiting for some of the big bugs to be fixed (everyone being terrified of everything for example) and for the version to stabilize.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because obviously the solution is more complexity. :psydwarf:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
use a pump stack from the caverns to flood the entire surface map outside your fort with lava and/or water

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it conveniently bundled in a pack with multi tile rendering and graphics and therapist?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sigh: But at least DFHack finally being released for v40.xx means that it will be quicker to update, right?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dwarf Therapist is without a doubt the most useful thing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to the updates in the OP, we have had a "stable" version of DF2014 for nearly a month now. Soothsayers and Bay12ers, what say you: are we winding down for another two-year development cycle or can we expect to see another spurt of activity? I have been actively avoiding DF2014 since its release this summer because I didn't want to have to deal with corrupted save files and constant updates, and am hoping we (will soon) have a version that I can engross myself into for days..

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Job overhaul update released!

:siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 (Decemeber 18, 2014). :siren:

Toady One posted:

Here is the job priorities release. It should work fine with old saves, though existing hauling jobs may need to work themselves out for a bit. Further job prioritization work can be done when we get through the framework for start scenarios, since we'll better understand how dwarves fit into the fortress at that time.

New stuff
• New job selection process where dwarves choose important tasks with more regularity
• Very important jobs can remove dwarves from less important jobs
• Ability to prioritize a job so that it gets done immediately
• Mining, engraving and other designation jobs can now be prioritized numerically
• Designation jobs can be placed in a "marker only" mode, marker can be removed later to start work
• Mining jobs can be set to automatically follow veins and clusters
• Mining designation can be set to only select visible gems or useful stone

Major bug fixes
• Fixed crash related to armies failing to take over villages

Other bug fixes/tweaks
• Hauling jobs that used to need a held container now allow the dwarf to carry many items without a container
• Building jobs can swipe items from hauling jobs if the item is not held
• Wall/floor construction and road construction use new skill-free labor settings

I am downloading and installing this right the gently caress now. I don't have any existing DF2014 save games, but I am looking forward to stories of fortresses grinding to a halt because of something to do with old hauling jobs. :allears:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magma is always the :psydwarf: answer even when there is no question.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Matlock posted:

***Hot Pocket Roasts***

Of course it exists. :psydwarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4zxzQbzvkk

Would wouldn't it exist? :shepface:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Toady is really impressing me with how quickly he is putting out bug fixes these days. How did he go from no releases in two years to a release every couple of days or weeks?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the fact that he could just spit out a job priority patch in a couple of weeks, which is a thing modders have been trying to independently do for years, just floors me. I suppose on the one hand I have to begrudgingly respect him for focusing on doing the game his way without compromising his vision of what Dwarf Fortress should be just to appease the players, but goddamn it sometimes feels like he read a passage from The Fountainhead and decided to just never do anything that makes sense on principle.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

While that'd make sense in the real world, in Toady's elemental plane of beard it really is more like "hey guys I got around to doing this neat thing today."

Ah yes, the Elemental Plane of Beard, where rivers flow with Mountain Dew and the trees spontaneously combust into clouds of Doritos.

e:

I almost missed this gem,

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

A hot pocket is just a tube of bread with (theoretically [citation needed]) really benign poo poo stuffed into it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any reason why a graphics set that works for 40.21 would not work with 40.22? I am looking a Phoebus specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And you cannot possibly sell enough of it (unless you just give it away at vastly disproportionate rates).