Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Whoa, when did he set up a Patreon, this is what I get for not following the thread/updates for a year! Time to go throw money at him!

Have there been any actual releases lately? I'm guessing no...

Edit: Scrolling up, maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Can dwarves jump through walls? I made my guys a barracks in a nice tower but they keep apparently jumping through the walls and drowning in the moat... It's got a roof and everything!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I think my speardwarves are phasing through the wall and into the moat during training where they drown, is this something that can happen? Or is it some kinda MALIGNANT SPIRIT whisking my dwarves into the moat?

Yep. Glad it's not just mine. :v: I had to make a little walkway around their barracks so they'd stop it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Or build a floor at the bottom with a material softer than stone. Try to make a floor out of Featherwood, Candlenut, or Adamantium, and a terrifying plummet down a chasm can have a safe landing.

:stare: Does this really work? I'd never even considered it...

Sure, jump down the giant death-shaft, there's a trampoline at the bottom, I promise! Wheeee!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Backup and copy the save, abandon, go into legends, get what you need and then put the original save back? I think this works.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I caught one once, trained it and chained it in a room, I wanted it to spin webs, it wouldn't fire through fortifications and then got the poo poo torn out of it by a crundle. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, this. Sometimes I realize I don't even know the command anymore, my fingers just do it automatically. Like if I want to tell someone how to build a wall or something, I have to look down at my hands because I don't remember it is b-C-w unless I see them do it. It's kind of freaky.

Coming back to this after a year or so, I can remember how to play it but only if I don't think too hard about what the keys are... The moment I try and actually remember them I end up just staring blankly at the keyboard.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So what are the things to avoid doing? Is it plant gathering? Is the game just generally unstable atm?

Downloaded this for the first time in a long time earlier, latest LNP, crashed 3 times in an hour. I barely managed to get past the starting point of moving stuff out of the wagon.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 8, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Another crash... And yep, am on that version, I only downloaded it earlier. The error log only has one thing in it, and it's moaning about plant gathering, so maybe if I give up on that...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ah, apparently I am using the TWTB print mode. I set it to 2d, what's recommended? 2d looks much nicer, much less confusing about what's on what layer.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yep, that fixed it, no crashes since I switched to 2d, thanks!

Edit: Speak of the devil and he shall crash your game. :v:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Now that it's working again I was trying to gen a harsh little world, after a few tries, this came up.

I forgot how much I love this game.As far as I can tell, a dragon ate everyone, literally, there is one dragon with almost 300 kills.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Can I use dfhack or something to give a minor injury to this dwarf? I really don't want to have to set up traps...

He had his eye gouged out by a miner but there was no water at the time, so I had to delete the hospital before he died of thirst. Now I have water and I've remade the hospital but he refuses to go back. He's just wandering around the fortress, one half of his face a mangled mess.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I just had a weaponsmith make a gold shortsword. Thanks mate, real useful.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You have an office, you know...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My last game, the military named themselves "The Buff Sacks"... I wonder if they hang out at your tavern.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's worth thinking before you make a fort "Ok, in this one I'm going to work out water" or "In this fort I'm going to work out farming" and then just focus on learning that for that fort. One day I'll work out how carts and rails work...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 6, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tend to preserve a male or two and a couple of females of any species and the rest get the chop. One male and a page or so of female dogs will create puppies faster than you can kill them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pasturing chickens or turkeys or whatever over your refuse stockpile supposedly makes stuff dissappear more quickly too, because they make vermin that eat the stuff.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can also fish through grates, I think, if your water level is high enough.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

scamtank posted:

There's also a giant Future of the Fortress pile.

Reading through these has reminded me why I love this game. :allears:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

+1

Although I stream sometimes and my friend does absolutely nothing but complain about it. "How can you play that! Where are all the little pictures!"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I play with CLA generally and I don't half get complaints if I try and stream it to my friends. I wouldn't play with it normally but yeah, just use spacefox or something.

Also if DFHack is working, you can turn fluid-depth on and off with ctrl+w, why are you arguing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Is this thread still alive?

What on earth is going on here:

He's now starving/dehydrating to death because, well, can't eat or drink. :v:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 9, 2018

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

He's been tired/starving/dehydrated for almost a year now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

All the body parts are greyed out yeah. Both his upper and lower body are missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfxsgv31tmy34u9/broken%20dwarf%20save.zip?dl=0

Here's the save if anyone is bored. He's in the drink stockpile next to the dining halls. Don't wait around too long though, everyone is about to turn into weregoats.

V 100% not a ghost.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 9, 2018

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yep, I normally go for 50-100 and plenty of things still go wrong.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Is it actually possible to reclaim a dead fort now without it being a horrific buggy mess?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The 3d viewer has a tendancy to crash, I've never got it to work for more than a couple of minutes... The windows are fully resizeable and you can zoom in and out with, I think, the square bracket keys.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

So for some dumb reason I’m taking a crack at this game at the same time as Rimworld when I’ve played neither before. While Rimworld is much easier to do things with the interface, I’m finding this one strangely addicting. I started a new game and tunneled into the side of a hill and have a few stock piles, carpentry room and a barracks and the game play loop is strangely addicting.

Rimworld is fine, but it starts feeling very samey and empty after a while.

Also the complete randomness about what things you can do with buttons, and what you have to click on, annoys the hell out of me. I want to toggle everything with the keyboard!

For DF, CLA is the tileset I use, but just mess about with all of them and find one you like, I love it, but it drives my friend nuts.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. Hit esc and zoom on that screen to scroll the menus on their own.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184

On the note of the lovely US healthcare system, go help buy Lowtax a new spine, guys. He needs it.
-

Holy poo poo this looks good. Was subbing to ^ and accidently went to the front page of Patreon, and there it was. I don't even play with a graphics pack, but this could convince me! I also love the transparency and such on the menus in those screenshots. Any hints on a release date?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Confirmed cost of $20

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"huh, that world generated almost instantly..."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's 11 people left in civilised society.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u42ufli8qq69ov/dead-world.zip?dl=0

Here it is if you're curious. I'm not actually sure, I think maybe just one bronze colossus at an early enough time?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Nice embark area I found earlier, river and magma pipe!

Stonesense was not happy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So. My fort is doing well, it's about 10-15 hours old and I'm playing with new things. My military squad is buff as hell, so I figure for a bit of experience I'll send them out to retrieve a random book from a fortress a couple of days walk away. A year later and they not come back. No reports, no news, nothing. I figure it's bugged out on me.

Whatever, I'll have a look in legends mode and see what happened.

Turns out that my squad went to this fortress, which is in retrospect more of a university and library, and, I guess demanded the book and got turned down. In retaliation they then slaughtered 184 libraians and scholars, before all being taken captive by the local government. The leader of the defense was a maths teacher, who was "taken by surprise, and utterly outwitted by the attackers"

184 kills, 0 losses. I'm not even sure they got any major injuries. Over a single book.

Sending rescue missions just kept bouncing, the dwarves would instantly come back with empty mission reports, and I was running out of dwarves anyway, so I tried to walk there in adventure mode, with some coaching from twitch-chat, and got murdered by bogeymen on the first night. RIP the Buff Girders, that book wasn't nearly worth it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408018221 I streamed it here, it's muted but I don't think I was speaking anyway, it's all in chat.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Are strict caps not working in LNP? I set it to 15 on children and 75 on invaders, and ended up with 100+ invaders on my first invasion and over 30 children...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

Assuming that this gets implemented at some point in the far future... What things could rain on an evil biome again?

Human Blood can, cause that's what my last fort was coated in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

I'm getting back into DF again after a year and a half or so away. I've decided that I want a post-apocalyptic world that barely has anyone living in it. Whats the best settings for world creation for that? Lots of titans? High savagery and evil? Just a lot of time?

edit: unrelated but i searched an old HDD the other day trying to find the old boatmurdered saves and found an archived version of my super old let's play that used the same save (though had no link for it :( ) if anyone gives a poo poo for any reason. I don't remember it being too good or interesting aside from being pre-z-axis.

http://www.sankis.com/cr/thread1/1.php.htm

you'll need to manually change the page numbers and thread1 to 2, etc

I posted a save a page or two ago of a world with only 11 people left in civilised society, if that helps :v: