Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh hey a new thread. I stopped looking at anything DF related after loving up the last LP of it but now I'm getting hat craving to play it again. When was the latest version released?

VVV There seriously hasn't been a new release since then? :confused: At least it means I don't have to update my mod but drat.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apoffys posted:

The main game hasn't been updated, but the mods/tools have been frequently updated. I suggest downloading the latest starter pack (for vanilla), or if you're feeling brave you could try the Masterwork pack. They both come with up-to-date sets of plugins etc.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

I meant my own personal mod, but thanks for the links anyways.

scamtank posted:

Summer '12. It's been a long time coming, but hot drat if it isn't going to be worth it.

I don't even remember what the next version was supposed to add anymore. I think something about making adventure mode better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neurion posted:

What's your own personal mod? I'm interested in hearing what other people have done or tried to do.

I toyed with the idea of making a Morrowind Creatures mod to bring in some of the more interesting fauna of Vvardenfell, like the netches and cliffracers :argh:, but never got around to it.

I did once try to mod in a reaction that let me make blocks out of bone and meat so I could make a grisly gross tower, but that didn't work nearly as well as I hoped.

The only real modifications I played with removed the mount tokens from some of the monsters that would break pathfinding if goblins used them as mounts, such as giant cave swallows or giant toads.

When I started playing Dwarf Fortress, one of the things that bothered me was the lack of creature diversity. You usually ran into the same stuff in a biome. Plus they were for the most part all very mundane creatures, which is fine but there's no reason you can't have more fantastic ones as well in a fantasy game. So I started modding in my own creatures, some simple and some complex. I really just wanted to add some more stuff to encounter, but as I learned more I started adding creatures I would find challenging as well or were capable of doing bizzare things once I figured out the interaction system better. You could do some really crazy stuff with that. So basically, I just added a ton of creatures whenever I felt like it.

Honestly half the fun I got out of DF was modding in creatures and then seeing them in Fortress mode. I mean the only way to make a moat filled with zombie fish is to throw in zombie kraken as well.

amuayse posted:

I can't wait for the new release to come out and the massive mod rush and tinkering to happen. I wonder what the next Giant Mosquito will be.

That reminds me, did Toady ever tweak the resurrection rates in evil biomes? I remember trying to do anything in an evil biome was impossible because body parts reanimated so quickly and interrupted what your dwarves were doing. You kill an elephant, the dwwarves freak out. Then the elephant's corpse gets up and the dwarves freak out again. You kill the undead elephant, but then the legs you chopped off start hopping around and the dwarves still freak out. Also the rest of the elephant gets back up while you were killing the legs.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I genuinely think ASCII looks better than every tileset just because the tilesets look cluttered and messy. When I first downloaded DF with a tileset I still couldn't tell what the gently caress was going on, its a confusing mess no matter what. I think the OP should represent what the game usually looks like, which is ASCII.

EDIT: I forgot how ridiculous the name generation in this game could get.

A name that is sure to inspire fear in peasants everywhere.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dreggon posted:

As a lover of the ASCII tileset, all that white seriously hurts my eyes. Do I have to dive into the raws and change a bunch of stuff if I want it to be darker, or should I be a baby and just go for the 'art' version?

Visually I can understand what all the ASCII symbols mean (except the pink beds, wtf? Did you chop trees in an underground cave or something?) but while I appreciate difficulty I don't like having my retinas burned out.

I'm certain you can edit something in the raws to make the white darker, but I can't remember what at the moment. Those beds are just made from tunnel tubes, which are pink.

Gaudy forts are the best forts though :shepface:

I wish there was something that came in that horrid bright green color in the maingame so I could build a fort out of it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Caufman posted:

Adventure mode is totally underappreciated. It has the best combat of any roguelike I've played, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Last time I played adventure mode, it was a pretty memorable experience. After gutting several night beasts hiding in their holes, I wad finally getting respect from the locals. So I visit the capital, and suddenly I see fireballs flying everywhere and a bunch of explosions coming out of a building. Turns out there was a cultist uprising or something, I wasn't able to figure out exactly what was going on. Town is descending into chaos, so I try to help out but apparently the first guy I stabbed wasn't actually a cultist and I ended up pissing off everyone. Having burned up all my good graces, I was forced to flee from that civilization. I crossed over an entire mountain range to find a new place to be a hero again.

Well eventually I did get to a new town, ruled by a demon frog king. Said demon frog king tells me to go slay a kraken. A kraken that lives on a glacier miles away, which I have to hike over by foot. Along the way, I get in a fight with some nagas and one gets in a lucky hit that cripples my leg. So now I'm slow and can't dodge anything, effectively making my career as an adventurer over. Rather than dieing to the kraken or some other monster lurking on the glacier, I just limped back to town and retired in defeat.

That was pretty fun, but there's a big problem; it took ages for that to happen. So much time in adventure mode is spent running through empty wilderness or stumbling through town trying to find someone giving out quests. The only goals you ever get are too slay monsters, and there really isn't any depth to the mode. The combat system is ridiculously deep but there's basically nothing to do so I can't stay interested.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LostCosmonaut posted:

I think there's some kind of fairly useless ore that's bright green. Garnierite, I think. Also, Olivine is dark green.

Yeah but garnierite is really rare. I just added a tree to the crypt cavern layer that came in bright green. I figured since tunnel tubes are bright pink there could be horrid lime green trees down there as well.

Bad Munki posted:

How about vomit?

I'm still waiting for the version that will let us make moats out of nonwater liquids.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Be careful if you mess around with infinite water sources though. I once had a fort where my dwarves kept leaping into the ocean to fight skeletal bluefish, so I tried building a swimming chamber to train them. I messed up and ended up causing the entire ocean to start flooding into the roads leading down to the mines and caverns. Dozens of dwarves were swept away, crushed against the stone walls and floors as water pushed them along. Others ran into dead ends only to slowly drown. More importantly, my FPS went to poo poo since the game had to keep tracking all that flowing water!

I couldn't figure out a way to fix it without cheating either. My best plan was to carve out a huge chamber beneath the one tile entrance to the ocean, in hopes that the water would flood into it long enough for a dwarf to block off the entrance. It didn't work, so I ended up having to spawn obsidian blocking the entrance.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my experience dwarves are super finicky when it comes to equipment and will randomly take parts off if you mess with it, so are you sure they just didn't ditch the helmets for hoods? Even if they can wear both at the same time, dwarves are stupid and will throw away gear all the time. One of the things that really annoys me about this game, since trying to get a properly equipped army is a huge pain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nietzschean posted:

Why did the developer think it was a good idea to model every different type of creature's blood as separate liquids?

So you can make each creature bleed different stuff. That way you can have a creature bleed blood that causes any dwarf that touches it to become covered in boils and attack anything nearby in a fit of rage.

Syndromes are fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Whats a tower do when you embark near it? I thought those were all controlled by Necromancers, but in that case shouldn't it have a red line next to it indicating hostility?

Is it abandoned or does the red line just not show up for towers because they aren't a proper civ or something?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pound_Coin posted:

granite encrusted granite bed, yeah good work rear end in a top hat.

No see I padded it with these menacing granite spikes its totally comfortable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never bothered to set up anything minecart related. It just seems like a lot of work and complexity for little immediate benefit. One day I'll learn how to make dwarven rollercoasters though.

VVV You can just have a dwarf dig a series of up/down staircases straight down for fastest level traversal. There's no way to avoid having them dig into something hazardous without predicting it ahead of time though. That said, I think even if they dig an up/down staircase that, say, empties out straight over a magma pit they won't fall into it unless something hit them while climbing the stairs.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I forgot that one of the domestic creatured I added needs to be housed in a safe area due to its periodic venting of smog. Smog which can cause fires.

So not two months after embarking and I already managed to reduce my entire starting area to an ash covered wasteland. Amazingly, nobody died. A few animal got roasted but as far as I can tell the only dwarf injury was a carpenter, whose head caught on fire. She didn't die though, all her head fat just melted off :shepface:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

The megabeast invasion criteria are determined on a per-creature basis, though. Changing those would require wading into the sticky mess that's MW raws.

Specifically, this the raw token that deals with Megabeast attacks in Fortress mode.

[ATTACK_TRIGGER:X:Y:Z]

X is the population requirement of the fort, Y is the exported wealth, and Z is the created wealth. I don't actually know if the wealth requirements matter at all, I've only ever paid attention to the population one. As an example, here's the default for the hardest vanilla megabeasts;

[ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:10000:100000]

They won't attack unless 80 dwarves or more live in the fort. It shouldn't be too hard to change the attack trigger in the MW mod to something reasonable, though I've never used that mod myself.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:stonklol:

This is going to be an interesting fight.

Wow and I thought some of my custom creatures had too many :words: in the description.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How I've missed the feeling of being completely baffled by Dwarf AI.

That's my carpenter drowning in a lake. How did this happen? Well the map is divided by a river and I accidentally designated some trees to be cut on the wrong side. You'd think the dwarf would just say they cant reach those trees, but my carpenter thought otherwise. I can only assume she tried to swim across the river to reach the trees. The river happens to have a very strong current since the fort is located right next to a scenic waterfall. So of course she ends up getting swept away, falls 6 Z levels into the lake, and is now completely hosed.

More importantly, she took the only axe down with her! :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, you can always make a wooden training axe (from the logs from deconstructing your embark wagon, if you have to) in order to bootstrap your lumber industry again.

This would be a good idea if it weren't for the huge fire that burnt all my wood to ash.

Humans letting demons becomes leaders and diplomats has always been hilarious to me. I can see why they chose that demon though, seems like a really chill guy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 20, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dead horse posted:

Bonus shot of the vampire monarch sealed up in his throne room:

Vampires are weird. I tried to make an example of some vampires in one of my forts by coming up twisted punishments for them. The first one I shoved into a cage, which was sealed behind a glass wall, which was then flooded with magma. His tomb for all eternity was a tiny wooden cell hidden beneath the magma forges, never to be found. Predictably, this drove him insane.

Another vampire was just fine with her cruel punishment. I had her trapped on an island surrounded by huge pits of water. The island was in the center of the fort, with the intent being that passing dwarves would gaze upon this miserable creature and laugh at its plight. It turns out she didn't give a poo poo about being alone on an island though. She had some cool statues to look at, and this was enough to make her ecstatic. Permanently. Being a vampire with no needs or friends, her mood never changes. So even as this particular fort turned into a necropolis after a series of terrible mistakes, it still had the happiest vampire ever partying on her own private island.

I kind of wish I hadn't built that fort in a terrifying biome. I still have the save but its basically unplayable at this point since everytime I try to have a dwarf do something, they get interrupted by one of the dozen dust husks that now wander around the fort.

Once held 200 dwarves, now down to 50 which includes only 3 soldiers and several gibbering lunatics.

EDIT: I forgot, vampire island also has a ghost haunting it. The vampire doesn't really care.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 21, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IT KEEPS HAPPENING :byodood:

Replacement Carpenter manages to die the exact same way as the first one. Only this time there actually way a bridge so she has no excuse. Guess I have to put up some protective walls. This scenic waterfall has turned into a death trap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dwarf artifacts are great because they cover literally everything in spikes. Even clothing. Hey this turban looks neat but you know what it would be even better with massive marble spikes covering it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Getting stunned in Dwarf Fortress is a death sentence. If you're put to sleep, you can't dodge anything and thus get maimed horribly. If you're paralyzed, you can't dodge anything and you also can't even breathe so if something doesn't maim you you'll suffocate. So yeah I imagine any allied creature that can paralyze enemies in an AOE would be horrifically OP if your guys are immune to it.

Paralysis is pretty rare in vanilla DF actually. Aside from randomly generated monsters, I'm pretty sure only giant cave spiders can inflict it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Splode posted:

Unrelated: Today I lost a high master swordsman to an elk bird. Apparently a grand master fighter is useless against a big chicken without his sword...

No matter how skilled they are, basically anything in DF can kill a dwarf if they get lucky. Even a puppy could kill a dwarf if it landed a good shot to the head.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Moridin920 posted:

I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to travel to other dwarf settlements through the caverns, and caravans going through there also.

I'm glad it means there will be more reason to break open the caverns. I added all these creatures to it and never get to see half of them because I have no business keeping the caverns open most of the time. Tried adding some trees made out of metal to solve that problem but I don't think I ever got them working properly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angela Christine posted:

Could you chop down the metal trees with a wooden axe?

The material a tool is made out of doesn't matter so yes. You can dig through everything short of slade with a mere copper pick, so a wooden axe could fell trees that had the toughness of solid steel. The problem was I couldn't get the game to treat the logs as metal. At least I think that was the problem. Technically it wasn't a tree made out of metal but rather a tree made out of wood with properties identical to that of iron. I may have changed something to fix it and forgotten since I tried making this like, a year ago;

quote:

[PLANT:IRON_CAP]
[NAME:iron-cap][NAME_PLURAL:iron-caps][ADJ:iron-cap]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:IRONWOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:iron-cap]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:iron-cap]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:GRAY]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:0]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:24]
[PREFSTRING:tough skin]
[WET][DRY]
[FREQUENCY:25]
[GROWDUR:600]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:2:3]
[TREE_COLOR:3:0:0]
[DEAD_TREE_COLOR:0:0:1]
[SAPLING_COLOR:3:0:0]
[DEAD_SAPLING_COLOR:0:0:1]

[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:IRONWOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:GRAY]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:iron wood]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wooden iron]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:GRAY]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:n/a]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:n/a]
[STATE_COLOR:gas:GRAY]
[STATE_NAME:gas:n/a]
[STATE_ADJ:gas:n/a]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:420]
[IGNITE_POINT:12768]
[MELTING_POINT:12768]
[BOILING_POINT:12768]
[HEATDAM_POINT:12768]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:6980]
[MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:542500]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1085000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:319]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:542500]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:1085000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:319]
[TENSILE_YIELD:155000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:310000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:73]
[TORSION_YIELD:155000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:310000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:189]
[SHEAR_YIELD:155000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:310000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:189]
[BENDING_YIELD:155000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:310000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:73]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[ABSORPTION:0]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_WEAPON]
[ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED]
[ITEMS_AMMO]
[ITEMS_ARMOR]
[ITEMS_SIEGE_ENGINE]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[IS_METAL]
[WOOD]

Game should treat it like wood that can be made into metal if it was working properly. Its a pain to test stuff like this though since arena mode is just for seeing how well creatures eviscerate dwarves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I know you could make it work easily with custom reactions but those are one of the things I didn't want to add. Which is pretty dumb admittedly given my criteria for what stuff I will modify is mostly arbitrary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The reason I didn't want to have to make a custom reaction is because I'm under the impression that using said custom reaction would require modifying the vanilla dwarf civ raws. Otherwise, they would be incapable of using the reaction. My main personal modding rule is that I don't modify anything in vanilla because it could cause future confusion over what is and isn't vanilla. As it stands everything I add is contained within its own files so there's no risk of me getting confused over this stuff.

Its not that big a deal anyways since I came up with another solution for embark sites with no metal access, I just need to come up with a good reason to use the caverns still. Aside from creating a menagerie of weird creature for the nobles to adore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Makaris posted:

So, cavern floor fungus. I want it, but when I breached the caverns it doesn't have any. I'm searching for maybe another cavern deeper down, as the highest one was pretty near the surface, but no luck finding a different, deeper cavern so far. Am I screwed out of floor fungus? Is there a command in DFHack or something that will just let me turn it on?

I'm not sure what would cause fungus to not be present in the caverns. I've never seen that before. You could try digging down to the crypt or abyss but but if the top layer is missing fungus I don't see why they wouldn't be as well.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Life is cruel to dwarves sometimes. I just had a baby transform into a werewolf in its mother's arms, who then tossed him into the fort's primary indoor water source with no way out. I'm in a haunted embark, so when he changes back and drowns I'll probably have a baby dwarf corpse swimming around in his mother's drinking water.

Armok pretty much said "gently caress you, kid" before he could even walk.

How the hell did a baby turn into a werewolf? :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Design the entire fort to look like a level from a Mario game. Every building is connected by a series of olivine pipes.

VVV Dwarves are better at working metal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 29, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus. Maybe its related to world generation? I'm not sure how but if you generated a really small world it might be possible for a species to be eliminated early in generation and thus never show up. I have no idea if that is possible, probably not but I'm just throwing out random explanations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

duralict posted:

I've somehow created a pit that invaders want to go into. There's nothing down there at all and it doesn't lead anywhere, it's just a pit near the entrance, but the goblins keep walking down the access stairs and just standing around at the bottom of it for months, with the corpses of whoever actually falls into it. :confused:

The hole was made for them :shepface:

Actually, I think invaders will just chose relatively random areas to hang out if they can't path to your civilians or find any buildings to destroy. Usually it will be around what the game considers to be the entrance to your fort, but in typical DF fashion whatever te game does to determine that isn't perfect. So they might be in the hole just because if you ignore the impassable walls its close to your dwarves. If you opened up an actual entrance, no doubt they would all come charging towards it like sharks homing in on a wounded seal.

Neurion posted:

Could be one of the pathfinding bugs related to sieges and unit leaders. Sometimes the unit will mill around the last known location of their leader if he died, or even worse, if the unit leader has a flying or swimming mount, the leader will go 1 Z level into the air or down into the water and the entire unit's pathfinding will break.

This can also happen. If their is a goblin commander's corpse in the hole they might be hanging out next to it, possibly conducting a ritual to gain advice from beyond the grave.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

duralict posted:

Nope, there's an unblocked entrance to the fort. But now caravans have started bypassing it too, for no explicable reason (there's an open three-tile-wide path straight into the fort from multiple edges but the Depot Accessibility view green line just stops 2/3 of the way down). I don't know wtf is going on with the pathing in this fort.

Okay yeah if there's a path into your fort and invaders aren't gunning for it something has definitely gone horribly wrong with the pathing.

My recommendation is to introduce magma to the pit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah trees can often grow on your depot path without you noticing. That's why at some point I'll make a paved road leading to the depot. It keeps anything from blocking it, plus it just looks nice.

Flesh Forge posted:

Wormy Tendrils are the most adorable biome feature :allears:

Fun fact; despite being made out of flesh, livestock can graze on the evil flora just fine. So even in a blighted land covered in blinking eyes and squirming vein roots, Old McUrist can still run his farm. Provided of course a horrible mist doesn't rise out of the ground and corrupt everything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leal posted:

EDIT: Also is there any fix to ghouls rotting forever? A ghoul will get his thumb sprained, rests at the hospital then stays there forever as my now legendary surgeon cuts off every bit of skin he has.

Without editting the raws? No. I'm gonna guess that the ghouls are designed to have permanently rotten skin, so when they end up in the hospital the doctor decides to remove it all. That can actually happen in vanilla DF if a dwarf has an unfortunate run in with a forgotten beast with miasma breath. If they contract a syndrome that causes their skin to permanently rot, dwarf doctors will "solve" the issue by carefully peeling off every inch of skin on their body.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, I gotta say I want dwarves to smoke. And like a skill for blowing smoke rings. And crafting pipes of great power!

It'd be great if you could build smoking lounges which cause dwarves to be more likely to develop a mood. Even better if it includes fell moods so occasionally someone goes for a smoke and instead gets turned into a bone earing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MohawkSatan posted:

A fortress of stone cold murdering communist dwarves.

Not really that different from how most forts end up.

I can get why Toady wants to remove the old plants but part of me will be sad if I can't feed my fort off an endless supply of plump helmets anymore. Its tradition dammit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like that the name generator DF uses by default isn't weighted towards words you'd typically use to name a place. It makes forts more memorable since their names are always really weird and unique.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Look, we don't question the meat stone. All we know is it goes really good with chopped plump helmet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You've been able to make mead from honey since the last version. Or whenever it was that Toady added beekeeping.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Because a lot of people don't want the features in Masterwork? There's plenty of mods that add "nifty" things, that doesn't mean they should be a part of the base game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
And if they did go to the hospital they would probably die anyways when the doctor botches the operation. The best dwarven medication is simply drinking enough to forget you got hurt in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You need one cat for vermin control.

ONE. More just breed and are a menace. Nothing quite like having a tantrum spiral because 12 pet cats died in a siege.

Of course then a migrant brings a pet cat and soon you have kittens flooding the streets. I never bring cats with me on embark since I have little modded slime creatures to eat vermin. I still end up with forts filled with cats though because I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat/metagamer to design trap rooms that kill the pets of migrants.

I will have kittens butchered the second they are born though.