Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elth posted:

How is genocide less mean than incarceration? :psydwarf:

These are the serious moral questions dwarves ponder every day.

The answer is alcohol.

VVV They do if you embark on an evil biome.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AXE COP posted:

Wait until they're fully grown, you get more leather and meat from them that way.

The reason I butcher them is because they might "adopt" an owner if I just let them run around. I guess I could shove them in a cage but that's a waste of time. Cats are terrible livestock so I don't care how much supplies I get form butchering them. I just want them gone.

CommonTerry posted:

I can't believe none of you grognards play adventure mode

I've played adventure mode and it can be fun but it lacks direction. The vast majority of your time is spent running around looking for something to kill. You go look for villagers that want you to kill something, you go looking for that thing and kill it, then you run back to the village to find another thing to kill. Its not terribly exciting. Plus with the way DF combat works your mighty badass character that has slain dozens of monsters might end up crippled due to one unlucky hit. Your character can be ruined with ease and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always figured the dog part of the name wasn't referring to their appearance but rather the role they have in goblin society; loyal pets and friends that faithfully defend their masters.

And they also ride them. Just like...dogs.

Okay maybe that doesn't work so well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

The only reason I can think of is that someone else got elected into that role, but I don't think barons or the other "proper nobles" fall under that category.

The entire noble system is pretty buggy. Last time I checked the noble position still isn't limited to dwarves so you can appoint any sapient pet to be mayor. Which causes a lot of conflicts when it comes to nobles actually doing stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Currently lava does not generate flow and water wheels can only be made out of wood, so you have a lot of modding to do if you're going to make this work.

He could change the base properties of whatever wood the wheel is made out of to make it magma safe. Pretty sure that would even work in an active save once you reload it. There's no way to make magma flow like water does though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did Toady gently caress around with the creature raws and change the default body part files? I tried genning a new world and got a massive error log for nearly every single one of my creatures. A bunch of tokens the game used to recognize seem to have vanished. A lot of body parts no longer seem to exist under their old name. I didn't think he was going to mess with the raws like this so this is a pretty unpleasant surprise. I don't suppose there is any sort of documentation on what changes were made to the default raw files?

DF just isn't the same for me when I can't bring along golems and octopus pets :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

There are only a few critical things that changed about creatures, but I'm guessing you're missing gait tokens.

Most often they're just added in 5-7 lines of creature variations, depending whether they have two legs, four legs, no legs and/or wings. Birds are, notably, utter poo poo at walking now and flounder helplessly on the ground if winged. Here are the dwarf's gait tokens for reference:

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph

e: What kind of errors are you getting? That might also be a help.

I'm getting a variation of this error for basically every single creature;

quote:

PYGMY_ELEPHANT:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: THROAT
PYGMY_ELEPHANT:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: NECK

Which implies to me that something changed in regards to those body parts but I'm not seeing what. Other than that it was a ton of speed errors which has to to do with the new Gait system (not looking forward to figuring that out).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

Ah, of course.

Just about all humanoids and quadrupeds have distinct necks now, to which throats and heads connect. Just about all instances of the bodyplans HUMANOID and QUADRUPED have been changed to HUMANOID_NECK and QUADRUPED_NECK, maybe some others too along those lines.

Thanks! You're a huge help. I have no clue why Toady didn't just alter the humanoid body plan to include this change but whatever. It also seems like some random tokens have been removed, but nothing that will keep the creatures from being mostly functional. Just random flavor stuff that absolutely never come up ingame but I put in anyways because I felt like it.

Now I just need to figure out the new gait system and replace the speed tokens for over 50 different entities! :suicide:

EDIT: This is actually really obnoxious because a bunch of the default creature body plans worked perfectly fine, but because Toady didn't update them properly they're now totally broken.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Jesus christ gaits are confusing as hell. Has anyone figured out exactly how they work? Toady's explanation in the raw files doesn't explain much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't figure out what the !ARG parts of the gait are supposed to be. According to the example Toady left it is supposed to represent top speed but I have no clue how. I mean how am I supposed to now how fast 10 is without any point of reference.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FINALLY finished updating all my custom files to be compatible with the new version. Now I can experience all the new horrible things that have been added.

How riddled with bugs is this new version though? Is it playable or is it prone to falling apart at random intervals?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

go baby!
usz: 0
post baby
post clean

This appeared in my error log. I haven't the faintest idea what it could possibly mean.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Decision Viking is a great name.

EDIT: Anyone else not able to generate a world with the new version? It keeps crashing everytime I try to make one. It'll create the world just fine, but when it tries to offload units it crashes. Once again, the only thing in the error log is;

quote:

go baby!
post baby
post clean

I dunno what to do. I just wanna play the new version already gently caress.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My militia commander is suffering from mortal terror because she killed a crab. :what:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hope the [ORIENTATION] tag allows monogendered creatures to reproduce so they don't die out in world gen. I'm willing to forgive Toady for this idiotic gait system if the other new tags let you do cool stuff and aren't near impossible to decipher.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else seen flying creatures plummeting out of the sky for seemingly no reason? Some bull mosquitos showed up, and a few days later I noticed one of them dead in the ocean. I checked the combat log and all it had was some messages about it being injured by the force of an impact, which I assumed to be hitting the ground. Not sure how that happended, but figured maybe it was some weird interaction with a flying creature skimming the ocean and hitting a wave or something. Few weeks later, I see a white stork corpse out in the mountains. It too seemed to have fallen out of the sky, and there was nothing that could of hit it over there. Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I maintain there needs to be a noble position called "Geologist" who sits in his study all day and it reveals random tiles throughout the map. As he gets better in skill, more tiles are revealed more regularly and the selection gets biased toward metal veins and gem deposits. Exploratory mining isn't fun.

It would be if there were more stuff to be found underground.

Emong posted:

Does the new version have any unused skills in it? I remember I used to have some modded magic wand weapons that ran off some unused skill or another and was wondering if that's possible still.

Unless Toady removed the unused skills such as alchemy they should still be there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My embarks tend to look like this;

For dwarves
-One soldier. This is the only dwarf I bother giving skill points as combat skills can help out and aren't as easy to raise as other things.
-Two miners, obviously.
-One cook, who spends the first few months doing all purpose jobs replated to food production such as gathering plants and setting up farms.
-One carpenter for the wood industry
-One mason for stone working
-The last dwarf just does whatever I need at the moment. Usually more mason work, though in dangerous areas I'll make this dwarf into a soldier.

Items tend to vary more depending on whatever is available for my civ
-ALWAYS bring a large amount of food and booze. This way if some unforeseen problem slows down food production my dwarves don't starve to death before I can resolve it.
-Weapons for the military. No armour though, as I don't want to invest too many points into items a dwarf may end up tossing into a lake.
-Lots of animals. A breeding pair of dogs for a supply of distractions faithful companions. Putties to eat the vermin that crawl around the fort, since gently caress bringing cats for that. I'll always bring along one golem, maybe more than one if its a dangerous area but they're expensive so I usually try to avoid that. I like having a wide variety of animals available just because I find it fun though.

The most important thing about my embark is that I always ditch the anvil included in the default stuff. Its expensive as hell and I never have the metal industry up in the first year anyways. Instead I just buy an anvil from the first caravan.

Splode posted:

medical skills are hard to teach as you tend not to have too many opportunities to learn (and when you do, the pressure is on as patients will die if they're not treated quickly).

I've never had any success with doctors. Even when I got migrants with tons of medical skills super high they didn't seem to do anything. Partly because by the time they got around to helping a dwarf they either healed on their own or bleed out in bed. The rest of the time their surgery would range from ineffective to actively harmful. I've had dwarves contact necrotic diseases that partially rotted their skin, and the doctors response was to peel every inch of skin off their body. Naturally, this killed them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The problem I have with putting lots of skill points into dwarves is that it means I'm assuming that dwarf won't die. I have no confidence in their ability to survive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bring along two miners because, again, I have no confidence in my dwarves ability to survive and would rather not have all my digging ground to a halt just because Urist McDumbass fell into the ocean. I mean usually nobody dies unless I decided to embark in a terrifying biome for whatever reason, but dwarves are dwarves. Life is cheap in my forts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

In other news, I got so, so, so bored with a bundle of thrips men who flew in and stayed motionless about 19 z-levels above the ground, just near the "sky" ceiling. Blocking wildlife from entering the map. Sitting there. Outside crossbow range.

I've had this problem too. Fliers no longer seem to roam around, instead just chilling in the air for eternity or until something calls them to fall and die. Kind of annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the first one is beautiful in its simplicity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At least its better than all of those ME2 emoticons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr. Glass posted:

I just got my first siege at a middling population of 25. Did I just get unlucky or is the threshold much, much lower than it was in 0.34?

I survived by bricking over the front door of my fort until they left. :iit:

e: UGGGH WTF I JUST GOT A FORGOTTEN BEAST WITH ONLY LIKE 30 DWARVES

Forgotten beasts don't attack based on population or wealth. As soon as you breach a cavern layer there's a chance that forgotten beasts will start to show up. I believe the chance for them to arrive is the same across all 3 cavern layers at well, so its not like the first one is any safer than the others.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've always pictured trolls in Dwarf Fortress as being really smart despite their monstrous appearance. This is because they would show up during sieges with weird professions like architect and surgeon. They're ugly ape things but still smart enough to do really advanced jobs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eiba posted:

You know, "geese laying iron thrones!" has been one of the most hilarious bugs I've ever seen... but personally, I feel "random personality trapped in every adventurer, capable of no actions except to cry" is really the best. Holy poo poo.

There are way too many hilarious bugs in Dwarf Fortress for me to ever pick a favorite.

Anyone else remember when Toady added giant versions of insects and forgot to adjust the population numbers, leading to swarms of hundreds of mosquitos flooding the map?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

You can already domesticate sapient creatures if they have the proper tags though. By default most sapient creatures can't be tamed but some animal men can be. You can't do anything creepy with them though without mods, thankfully. They just sit around talking to people. And sometimes becoming mayor.

Hail mayor tigerman! :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lobsterpillar posted:

Architect means they like smashing buildings, Surgeon means they like cutting apart living things.

I have a degree in building destruction and a minor in lever pulling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well of course dwarves will climb into volcanoes. Why wouldn't they? :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Subjunctive posted:

Toady has explicitly said that he doesn't want content related to sexual slavery or concubines or similar in DF, and that's why it was removed from Masterwork in fact. So there's hope, however slim.

Edit: reading through his dev entries, and thinking about how complex the DF internals must be (in terms of code and in terms of system combinatorics), and I'm increasingly very impressed with how much forward progress he can make even in a single day, and how ridiculously time-on-task he seems to be. He may actually be one of the best programmers in gaming?

Simply by virtue of working on this thing for years Toady must be pretty good at coding now. However, he's good at coding in his own asinine way so who knows how applicable those skills would be to projects he's not in complete control of.

That's the assumption I make from looking at the raws at least.

Excelzior posted:

what exactly are night troll wives then

I'm pretty sure they've been transformed into night creatures so they aren't human/elven/dwarven/whatever anymore. Its like those stories of people vanishing in the night and then coming back as one of the monsters that took them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Might have to go with sacmtank's solution to passive wildlife and remove the flier tag from these loving white storks. They've been here for months and all they've done is hover in the air. I don't even get how Toady manage to break flying AI but it probably has something to do with the gait system.

EDIT: This is...perplexing.

A bunch of random wildlife is showing up on my missing list. This includes some cavern creatures, and I haven't even breached a cavern layer yet. :confused:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Party Plane Jones posted:

Has the game gotten more difficult in a non-bug related way than DF2012? I miss the crazy difficulty spike that sieges in the 2d version had.

Last time I tried it, terrifying biomes were still a complete nightmare to try and thrive in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone who is more familiar with plant modding know why this tree always shows up as brown on the map;

quote:

[PLANT:HOLLOW_HOOK]
[NAME:hollow hook][NAME_PLURAL:hollow hooks][ADJ:hollow hook]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:hollow hook]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hollow hook]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:PURPLE]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:1]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:173]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:15]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:10]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:25]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:7]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:3]
[BRANCH_RADIUS:5]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:0]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]
[ROOT_DENSITY:5]
[ROOT_RADIUS:3]
[TREE_COLOR:5:0:1]
[DEAD_TREE_COLOR:0:0:1]
[PREFSTRING:emptiness]
[PREFSTRING:hooked branches]
[SAPLING]
[DRY][EVIL]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
[BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
[SOLID_DENSITY:50]

I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up as purple. I compared its token to that of standard trees and everything seems to be fine but I must be missing something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beekeeping never worked for me anyways because any time I had a Dwarf standing outside for extended periods of time something would wander by and murder them.

Or they would be terrified of a gazelle and run in circles endlessly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taverns sound like a great thing and I'm really glad they are gonna make multi species forts work properly. I wonder if you can build a tavern on the edge of a glacier and still get drunks stumbling in to visit it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey scamtank you're like some modding wizard right? Is there any easy way to make new raw files that the game will read but are easily distinguished from the default ones? Back when I modded this game I ended up with dozens of new files and keeping track of them all was a pain since they were mixed in with the default ones. I tried putting a new raw file in a folder, but apparently the game doesn't read from those. Then I tried giving them all titles that would make them bunch together but the game only reads files with certain titles? I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never had a problem with dwarves falling off my ocean forts unless monsters were involved. In that case, terrified peasants would sometimes dodge over the sides of the fort into the ocean. Meanwhile military dwarves would dive into the water to try and kill anything swimming in it, even if they didn't know how to swim themselves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a good explanation of the GAIT system anywhere, and more specifically creating your own gaits for use by creatures? I don't understand how the game uses it since it applies a creature variation to basically everything and I have no idea what it means by the ARG stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You'd think cats living with dwarves would have evolved a tolerance for alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is world gen guaranteed to crash in this version after going on too long? Normally I stop it early but I thought I'd let it run its full 1000 year course and poke around in legends mode, but it crashed at some point.

What the hell are geldabl- oh

oh