Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nosfereefer posted:

I think the dwarves just chucked the stolen books right on the ground? And now parrots are stealing them?

I love this loving game.

TheCIASentMe posted:

In dwarf fortress, anything that can move can climb.

If toady has implemented a NOTCLIMBER token, then he never assigned it to any specific animals.

This also shows that your wall is not sufficient to stop invaders. Put some fortifications overhanging the outside space around the wall and that will block climbers.

[CANNOT_CLIMB] prevents a creature from climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Now you will know why you fear the night.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lemme try and parse what is happening here; did the merchants carry something flammable near the magma forges which ignited due to the heat, causing the flaming wagon to speed into the depot and then explode in a glorious blaze?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

My favorite thing about this is that one of his necromancer pals is a loving giraffe man.

I was originally annoyed that Toady made human versions of every new species he added but I've come around to liking them. Now that they interact more with civs they add a weird fantasy element to the setting that isn't very common. There are hundreds of intelligent species living out in the wilds and occasionally some of them claw their way into real civilization. That's pretty cool.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 24, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really do wish military and combat would get reworked to be more transparent. I've played this game for ages and still don't have a good grasp on how this stuff works.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What would be a good biome if I want an interesting challenge? Feel like doing something different from usual ocean forts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mister Bates posted:

Does somebody have to hear my adventurer's claim to rulership in order for me to gain control over a site even if every single person who lived there is dead?

There's some deep philosophy to be gleaned from this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I know dwarves freak out if they see someone through a glass wall, but what about through glass floors?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turtlicious posted:

I'm teaching my girlfriend dwarf fortress for the first time.

:O

Condolences on your inevitable break up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have some questions about necromancers and undead;

-are undead raised by a necromancer only loyal to the necromancer? Will they randomly attack anything else?
-will undead raised by a necromancer attack undead raised by a different necromancer?
-will undead raised by a necromancer attack undead created through other means, like evil biomes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright that makes sense.

One other question I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out; what temperature do you need to set a material too to make a TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attack not immedeatly burst into flames. I'm making a creature that tries to avoid conflict by using breath that causes the victim to feel emotions related to guilt, but instead its burning them alive which is the opposite of peaceful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dwarves must have iron guts to be able to constantly eat raw organs without getting food poisoning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Imagine if dwarves actually needed a balanced diet and you couldn't just feed a fort on plump helmets.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

Region maps (as opposed to continents) in advanced world generation give you so much more landmass to work with. And since there's only one partial-edge ocean to deal with, you don't need as many civs as everything will be able to make contact eventually.

Until Toady implements some form of sailing then there's no reason to use continental maps anyways. All it does is isolate various parts of the world and make things less interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mister Bates posted:

your civ's caravan and migrants have been able reach you anywhere through any obstacle, even if it means they have to travel a thousand miles across the bottom of the ocean, for pretty much as long as fortress mode has existed

I thought the way it worked was there was a scripted two migrant wave and caravan visits, but after that if your fortress was technically inaccessible then nobody would show up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one besides monsters will path through the cavern layers.

I wonder if Toady plans to implement sea travel.

Dwarves are supposed to travel through the first cavern layer. Toady just hasn't properly implemented deep roads yet.

Also apparently he's planned having stuff like undead pirates as night creatures which implies a bigger nautical update at some point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm about ready to give up on making TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attacks work. No matter what properties I give the material it uses it always seems to create a cloud of scalding liquid flame. But hey, at least I got confirmation I made the breath properly manipulate the victim's emotions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RandomMagus posted:

Are you making it shoot a custom material? I think it should be possible to set the custom material's boiling point to a stupidly low number, and then set it so that it produces a set temperature so it's always above its boiling point without being "boiling hot".

Tried doing that. Still sometimes burst into flames. Temperature, like many things in Dwarf Fortress, is beyond my understanding.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Goblin society has barely any rules so it doesn't really matter who is in charge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder if Toady is ever gonna change cage traps being able to magically ensnare everything from a capybara to a bronze colossus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I recall right people taking books out of libraries is so they can take them to other libraries where they can be copied. Supposed to simulate the spread of written knowledge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It always seems like all of the dwarves will worship gods that take the form of dwarves but then you have the few contrarian assholes that are following a loving ant instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I believe you posted a pastebin for this breath attack before, but I can't seem to find it. Mind posting it again so I can have a look, please?

https://pastebin.com/5SBTZzdW

I changed it to a gas attack because I gave up on trying to make it work, but you can switch it back to a vapor if you want to try making it not ignite.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IAmTheRad posted:

Anything else is not a crime. So brawling is not a crime, as they are not on a tantrum. Just a drunken rage. A tantrum generally has a dwarf use their weapon if they are carrying anything instead of their fists.

You know it totally makes sense that dwarves would have a cod of law that specifically exempts drunken brawls from punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait did Toady actually try to improve FPS?