Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

So Math posted:

We're going to need a new overseer for the current succession LP in June. The fort, "Valleysilences" is built into the side of an evil volcano, has begun adamantine extraction, has two resident werepanthers, and is poised to become the dwarven capital in the next year.

Please chime in if you'd like to keep these plates spinning. :regd08:

Don't feel like providing a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
My current fort is now mostly just a huge tavern aboveground.

It started normally enough, but I put a masterwork quality statue in the tiny pub and bards wouldn't stop loving showing up and asking to stay, so I just said yes to every single minstrel group and solo bard to wander in, which happened pretty frequently.

The pub was rocking so hard day and night, books scattered everywhere, that I eventually just built a giant pub/library aboveground and a multi-level apartment building for all the bird-people/humans/goblins who now outnumber the dwarves 4:1.

There's just one goblin and some dick keeps sculpting statues and writing books about the time some goblin got butchered by a tiger. Always the exact same story too, just really digging in there.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Rimworld needs z-levels and I don't think that's ever happening.

There are mods, but it's just a single level, maybe two, I don't recall, and it drastically impacts performance.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Rimworld's lack of z-levels is why, despite having less developed mod scenes and so on, I vastly prefer Stranded: Alien Dawn and Going Medieval over it. That extra layer of worldspace does a lot.

I'll check those out, thanks.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Stranded: Alien Dawn

Just wanted to say this is a blast and exactly what I wanted out of Rimworld. Thanks again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Spanish Matlock posted:

My current civilization has tamed elephants, so my military readiness is largely dependent on Jumbo the War Elephant who patrols the grassy plains outside my fortress. Today, however my fortress reached the point where I needed to choose a militia commander. Unfortunately none of my dwarves have much in the way of military prowess. Fortunately, my Fisherdwarf Thob Letterheater is a proficient fighter!

Let's check his resume:

Near the beginning of my current fort he was accosted by a black mamba, the most feared snake in all of Africa.

The snake bit him (its fangs didn't penetrate his armor it looks like) and so he grabbed it by the tail, smashed it into the ground, kicked its heart in, and crushed its skull with his bare hands.

Later a pack of dingos tried to kill him while fishing.

And how did that go?

I think he'll do just fine.

Yeah, you don't mess with a species that will club you to death with its own young.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Lord of the rivets posted:

My dwarves like to celebrate their accomplishments

Maybe you just had to be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

krispykremessuck posted:

Possibility 3 (what happened): I flooded the magma sea and was loving about in those z levels. I ran up against the semi-molten rock layer and was sorting out ways to deal with that when one of my idiot dwarves tapped an adamantine vein which triggered HFS time.

The fort was overrun by demons pretty quickly, but: due to great transformation timing the weremammoths managed to kill a bunch of the demons before finally being eliminated completely by a dimetrodon demon that was rampaging around outside of the fort for a while.

The fort is also haunted.

I could have locked it out, but comically I had forgotten to link my gate to a lever.

The fort was abandoned to ruin in year 506. Rip Enjoyedlabors, I’ll see you in adventure mode.

A successful fort if ever there was one.