Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone recall which version of the game Gemclod was made in? I just finished reading the LP and now I want to wander around the ruins in adventure mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Adventure mode changes and the ability to non-destructively retire fortresses, which is a pretty loving major change to dwarf mode all by itself.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has Gemclod been modded in any way? If I wanted to upgrade the save to a newer version, can I just drop the region save in with the rest of them and go, or will I run into incompatibilities if I do that?

I suppose I could just play it using the version of DF that comes with the save file, but I'd like to try upgrading to the most recent version if possible.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
You can already buy barrels of blood from caravans for...some reason. You can't cook with it and you can't make a bloodpit to dump goblins into so it kinda just sits around.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Oh gently caress new Dwarf Fortress....but I'm working 12 hour shifts and have to be up in less than six hours...but it's a new Dwarf Fortress...

gently caress it, being a responsible adult is boring anyway. Dwarf me, baby. :getin:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I generated a new world and there's a big island in the southwest corner of the map that is completely loving covered in dozens of towers. And then there are no more towers anywhere else in the world.

Time to found a fort on Zombie Island.

e: And then another island that is completely covered by a giant elven forest retreat megalopolis, like this weird combination of urban sprawl and a hippie commune.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 9, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Rolled up an adventurer, found and recruited a human crossbowman in an otherwise empty dwarven fortress, found a labyrinth. My crossbow ally didn't follow me in and instead decided to go slaughter a flock of buzzards. The minotaur saw me and immediately ran away, dropped the giant pillar it was using as a weapon, fell over, then sat there helplessly while I exploded its head with a single swing of my warhammer. Then I tried talking to a nearby camel and the game crashed.

GOTY.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Marched into a bandit camp, immediately claimed it for myself and the Angry Armored Apes of Adventure, a group I just made up and which consisted entirely of me. Everyone seemed mostly okay with it. Attacked the warlord with my axe, missed, was promptly shot in the face and died.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Fortress mode is basically unplayable without Dwarf Therapist as far as I'm concerned, it should come bundled with every download of the game as a given.

Also, while experimenting in arena mode, I had a naked dwarf defeat an iron man by punching off both of its hands, then its head. No grappling or anything, just three quick punches, each knocking a body part clean off.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I genned a new world in the latest fix release, Medium with a 550-year history, and loving everyone is a necromancer. There are more than 26,000 books in the artifact list. There are vast urban sprawls of towers each inhabited by hundreds of necromancers. There are towns and villages populated entirely by necromancers, wars waged between groups of necromancers...this world is metal as gently caress.

Also, my chosen 'dwarf' civilization's outpost liason and diplomat are both goblins, the majority of the population are goblins, and the nobility from the king on down consists almost entirely of immortal necromancers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Bronze colossus adventurers are hilarious. I just beat a goblin to death with the mangled corpse of another goblin, picked up that goblin's corpse in my other hand, then threw them both at a third goblin, killing it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Neurion posted:

Remind me what edits I need to make to the RAWs to allow me to stomp around like this.

The most simple and basic way is to go into your entity_default file in the raw folder and add this to the end of it:

code:
[ENTITY:CHEATING]
	[CREATURE:COLOSSUS_BRONZE]
	[TRANSLATION:DWARF]
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
Note that this doesn't let you form groups or take over sites, your character will just go 'I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...' if you do. It's still sufficient for turning the game into Godzilla Simulator 2014, though. You'll need to gen a new world.

e: Hahaha, holy poo poo, a person moving at sufficient speed who slams into another person will send that person flying as well. I just kicked a person into a crowd of other people and they were scattered like bowling pins.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 15, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Dwarf Fortress: Bronze Colossus Rampage edition is never going to get old. It's like blowing off steam in Grand Theft Auto except I'm a fifty-foot-tall naked metal man. I'm punting people across the map, running full-tilt all over the place and never slowing down, and sending people skidding along the ground so fast when I punch them that it rips their limbs off. A group of six people finally worked up the nerve to draw real weapons and attack me earlier, and I responded by casually punching all of them in the face so hard their heads exploded.

I need to find out which entity tokens let you lay claim to sites, so I can rule as an angry, vengeful bronze god over the people I didn't feel like punting.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I don't think I even want to kill this person anymore, anyone that superhumanly badass kind of deserves to live.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I think the best, and strangest, part about DF is that the game which makes me laugh my rear end off as I rampage through villages as a metallic murder-giant is the same game which makes me go :smith: at seeing a family man spiral into rage and depression after his wife suffers a miscarriage .

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've still got a fort going in DF2012 I went back to, and inadvertently flooded almost my entire fortress due to a design mishap while setting up a waterfall to serve as a decontamination shower for the hospital (as well as looking pretty for the meeting hall outside. Fortunately, I had installed a backup drain into the caverns solely for that eventuality, and some of the survivors happened to be inside the control room, so I was able to open the drain and prevent the flood from being a fortress-ending catastrophe. Now the waterfall is running, the dead are buried, and there are giant mushrooms and cave moss and fungus growing everywhere. I kind of like it, actually, gives the place a nice natural aesthetic.

e: Also, am I the only one who carpets the entrance hall leading into the fortress with slabs memorializing notable monsters or invaders I've killed? I see it as being kind of an intimidation/boasting thing. 'This is the fortress that has slain a dozen mighty forgotten beasts, beware!'

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Anyone else having trouble finding necromancers in your worldgens? I get tons of demons rising in spires, but haven't seen a single necro yet.

I'm having trouble finding anything but necromancers, there are literally thousands of them in this world.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

Man, that's apparently light stuff compared to what some of the forum users have done in the past.

Turns out my joke about modding and seedy websites was spot on. One of the only threads to get locked for being too horrible apparently was closed and deleted because someone modded in genitalia so they could simulate raping people in adventurer mode. :stonk:

What the gently caress is wrong with the people on that forum. :stare:

Ah yes, the 'Meatgod Incident'.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Dwarf stood there overwhelmed by horror while magma slowly flowed towards him and then killed him.

http://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

Gods are going to get snitty when people keep profaning their temples. It is enough to drive anyone mad and want to unleash a demon or two.

I have to say, I am enjoying the new version and the lack of automatic enemy of site/civilisation when you go around killing people. I was able to go door to door in a human hamlet collecting skulls (That is basically all I know about hamlet) and all the people in the next house knew was "A battle? What is happening?!"

Sadly, I met a goblin gang on the way up the road and they decided to steal my idea and apply it to me.

That's why you play as a slade colossus and introduce roving goblin gangs to the feeling of being punched by the moon!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

The only rightful use of monarchs and nobles both in game and out is for dying.

Given that the anniversary of the Spanish Revolution is tomorrow, I kind of want to create a dwarven group with 'Red' and 'Black' in its name whose sole purpose is to attract as much of the dwarven nobility to the fortress as possible and then kill them. I'll murder my way up the entire leadership heirarchy.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Replace elves with dragons, play fortress mode. Cut down a tree.

And also replace dwarves with colossi. Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nah man, neutral biome (typical wilds). No funny rain and it didn't spawn anything except your bog standard goblin ambushes and snatchers. I just had a tantrum death spiral so we're basically done here...but it was fascinating while it was going on.

Did you have a decontamination chamber at the entrance to your fort, or at least the entrance to your hospital? In older versions they were only really necessary in evil biomes, but I always build one just in case of forgotten beasts.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
While messing around with modding and the arena, I discovered that 150 humans, clad head to toe in adamantine armor, with adamantine battle-axes and shields, with maximum Fighter, Axe, Dodge, Armor User, Shield User, Wrestler, Observer, Striker, and Kicker skills, can eventually kill a single naked Slade Colossus with no skills. It managed to kill 106 of them before one of them got a sever on its lower body.

Now, does anyone know how I would make everyone not instantly hostile to a slade colossus adventurer in adv mode? It's admittedly kind of fun playing Godzilla Simulator but it would be nice not having to explode the heads of every sentient being I encounter.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Come to think of it, I could probably change a certain tissue layer from its default material to slade. Slade-skin dwarves. They'd basically be impervious to cutting weapons made of anything less than adamantine, even buck-rear end naked. Everything inside would still be squishy, though, so they'd still be vulnerable to crush-type damage.

I wonder how that would effect speed.

Or what about adamantine-skinned dwarves? Or adamantine teeth? Adamantine bones and nails?

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If creatures have adamantine tissue, and they die, can you melt their bits down for metal?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I forgot to change it for my slade colossus (which is just a bronze colossus, with all the tissue materials changed from bronze to slade), so it still drops a bronze statue when it dies. :v:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does Toady ever plan on implementing, like, boats? As-is, any areas that aren't connected by land will just never interact with each other ever. In my last worldgen, this resulted in one tiny island completely carpeted with necromancer towers, and no other necromancers anywhere else in the world.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
While on the subject of worldgen weirdness, I just genned a medium world with a 550-year history, and ended up with a world whose last 200 years of history have been constant 'wars' consisting of an army of over 1000 elves launching endless, completely-uncontested attacks. There is a dwarven settlement that has been pillaged 743 times over those 550 years.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

Is anyone else planning on modding in flamethrower guitars musical instruments and playing Doof Fortress when this update comes out?

There's already a super-well-developed post-apocalypse mod, but it's several versions out of date and doesn't seem to be updated anymore.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Can a catapult built on top of a hill attack enemies at the bottom of a hill? I know marksdwarves can attack visible enemies at lower z-levels, but I'm not sure about siege engines.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

A god of valor, war, death, suicide, fame, and rumors, the ultimate adventurer-god.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does a dwarf have to have a scholar job to write books or can anyone swing by the library and write something?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had no ambushers, thieves, baby-snatchers, or anything of the sort for almost four years, and my goblin neighbors showed up as 'At Peace' on the civ menu, so I got lulled into a false sense of security and neglected my defenses almost completely. Forgot to even link the gates up to levers. Ended up getting hit by an invasion of over 150 goblins in 254 with only six axedwarves to defend myself with. It was a loving slaughter. There is one dwarf somehow still alive but they're bound to find him eventually.

Also, the goblins left all the visiting bards, scholars, etc. completely unharmed and walked right past them, they're still hanging around the tavern and library reading my books, drinking my booze, and chatting while surrounded by the mutilated bodies of their former hosts.

e: New visitors keep arriving and the goblins patrolling the halls let them walk past. There's a lively scholarly debate going down in the blood-soaked library right now.

The mayor is somehow still alive, by himself, hiding in the depths of the mines. I may actually end up surviving this siege if he manages to hide until they get bored and go away.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 24, 2016

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Traitor Bard Fort ended up eventually falling, the mayor had to come out of the catacombs for food and water after a while and got caught. I reclaimed it, and now all of the artifacts in the fort no longer count as artifacts. They're trade goods...which means I can sell them...for their full artifact value. I bought out the entire first caravan with a magnetite amulet.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My parent civilization was almost completely wiped out, and currently consists of my fortress and about 50 other dwarves, inhabiting a hillock, an almost completely abandoned dark pit, and a camp in the middle of nowhere. The 'mountainhome' (camp) has lost the ability to produce steel, and they have a grand total of one book, a lovely travel pamphlet about a random human hamlet written by a hack, which they produce and export dozens upon dozens of copies of. There's seriously like ten copies of this one book on the current caravan.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've got a couple squads of mixed melee fighters, I gave them all the 'individual choice melee' uniform option so they'd all use their preferred weapon type, and all of my macedwarves promptly dropped their maces and swapped them out for crossbows with no quivers or bolts. :psydwarf:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, this is one of the cool worldgen/adventure mode things - making Artifacts actually have value.

In particular, I like that I'll finally be able to loot artifacts as an adventurer and then wield them/wear them.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I used to have dedicated control rooms, but now I just try to place the levers in positions that roughly mirror the objects they're connected to, in logical places. So, the lever for the outer floodgate to the fresh-water cistern is on the outermost side of the well room, the inner floodgate lever is on the innermost side of the same room, the west gate control is on the west side of the main dining room, the south gate control is on the south side, etc. Makes it easier to remember, and it also speeds up the lever pulling if they're in areas that are already heavily trafficked by idle dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have a legendary tavern and two stills pumping out booze constantly and I've never had someone die from alcohol poisoning, although I don't have any bartenders (lazy assholes can get their own drat drinks).