Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I always took it for granted that for big, vertical excavation projects, designating ramps is best. Looking at some archived forts, some people use up/down stairs. Is there any advantage to stairs if you're not using the cave-in method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Other than that is there any functional difference between stairs and ramps?

One nice thing about ramps is that when they're not connected to a wall they will disappear, which saves your dwarves the hassle of removing them.

pre:
Using ramps:
_= Floor
W= Unmined block
R= Unmined block you want to turn into a ramp
r= Ramp
 _______
_RRWWWRR_
  _____ 
_rRWWWRr_
   ___
__rWWWr__

Using up/down stairs:
X= Unmined block you want to turn into an up/down stairs
x= Up/down stairs
 _______
_XXWWWXX_
  _____
_xXWWWXx_
   ___
_xxWWWxx_

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Dwarves are weird

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It's been literally years since I played this game, but it's always kind of surprising to see that it hasn't collapsed in a heap of contradictions. Toady is still adding features faster than most indie games I have seen, and he's probably literally autistic and a hermit. I still remember checking the changelog one time to see "Added burrows today" and stuff like that. I really like that he collapsed the previous devlist, which was enough work to last the rest of his life, into a manageable roadmap.
Years ago I was really pessimistic about Toady, his development priorities and his insistence on doing the bulk of the programming himself. Since then, Dwarf fortress has become way more playable and fun than I ever thought it would be. A lot of credit is due to modders, but also it's due to to the fact that Toady has an inexhaustible love for little beards, for which I'm grateful.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't played DF since v0.40.19.

How is everyone enjoying 0.42.05? Do things seem stable? Is it safe to start generating some big worlds?