Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are the personalities of migrants influenced by what your fortress is famous for?

I set up a temple to a god of agriculture and stuffed it full of artifacts and now every migrant is a farmer or other agriculture-related profession lol

the endless wave of farmers also come with so many children, who all end up doing the same set of chores, that when goblin snatchers arrived they all got surrounded by kids and beaten to death before my military could even activate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a way to specify which materials are available for automatic material selection? I carelessly set my dwarves to build a roof and then discovered it was built entirely of steel and silver. Like obviously I can just tear it down and manually select next time but it'll be a pain to manually select materials for every single wall/floor/etc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuuuuuh...

gotta lay your eggs somewhere, i guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today I learned that collapsing structures can pierce through the ground on multiple Z layers, and are not merely dangerous to dwarves with nothing between them and the collapse but open space

trying to deconstruct that silver-and-steel ceiling directly over the main entrance and stairway of my fortress, caused nearly ten deaths before I realized I didn't have a monster or murderer on the loose, other than myself

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's easy to see why Forgotten Beasts were forgotten. Unless they shoot webs they're pretty forgettable!!!

speaking of which, I just had my first web-spitting forgotten beast show up

and, it turns out, I had also accidentally left a corner entrance to my fort, so there was a way in other from the cave other than the single lockable door

the dwarves put up a good fight (the tavern keeper of all people blinded it with a pick) but 80% of them died within 60 seconds and the rest died one by one over the next few minutes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

trying to imagine the situation that led to them putting the corpse inside the coffin, but leaving the skeleton outside

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When a workshop has a job, it will try to assign that job to the highest skilled dwarf it can. If you only have one stonecracter, your success rate with automated stuff picking g them will be low because they'll be busy planting or whatever. But after a while, random chance will give you a bunch of dwarves with dabbling stonecrafting, and chances are good one of them will be available to do the job at any given time. Then, the automatic selection stops looking like "pick a random dwarf" and starts looking like "pick a random stonecrafter-in-training" and eventually they won't even be in-training anymore and will just be stonecrafters. If it's a task that uses plentiful materials, like stone, then chances are you'll produce more value by making sure the workshop is always in use than by making sure every boulder is handled by a master, so automatic work is better for both laziness and money

Of course sometimes you really need a masterwork bed to satisfy a prissy noble or whatever and you need to go through the effort to make sure only your legendary carpenter takes the job. But space is cheap and it's easy to have some workshops available to everyone and some that only skilled dwarves use, if that makes sense for the workshop type

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there are some agitated fireflies hovering 40 z levels above the staircase into my fortress and half my dwarves are just standing on the hatch getting stuck in a loop of being interrupted by them every time they think of a job. Because for whatever reason, after being interrupted, they're just standing there, instantly interrupted again the second they think about work

e: "hovering" isn't even an exaggeration, the fireflies haven't moved the entire time I've been watching them. If they were flying around randomly, presumably the loop would break, but nope

ee: the entire duration of the traders being here passed without either the dwarves or the fireflies moving. ?????

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh, I clicked around in thoughts, and somehow both the dwarves and the fireflies think they're fighting, while 40 Z levels apart. So they just stand there, meanicingly staring at each other. I assume it'll end when one side dies of thirst

e: do wild animals even get thirsty? I think this might just be a death sentence. Trapped in a lethal staring contest with enemies that can fly

ee: migrants arrived while I was waiting for the stalemate to break. Most of them just stand there, staring at the flies, like the rest of my dwarves. One of them was a necromancer, who cleverly raised a giant kea skeleton, which might have helped, but the other migrants saw it and killed both him and the skeleton. RIP.

eee: the staring contest did indeed last until they started dying of dehydration. Only two dwarves didn't get caught in it. Goodbye to that promising fort

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if the firefly thing was a pathing bug. I dug my staircase down right next to one of those really big 4x4 treetrunks cause I thought it made a neat landmark, but maybe the flies were getting confused by the branches somehow, since they were in between the flies and my dwarves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent half an hour today messing around with labors trying to figure out why my dwarves weren't hauling food, only to discover in the end that I had accidentally clicked the toggle in the stockpile to only accept goods from certain workshops, which, if you don't specify anything, means dwarves will never haul to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah the stockpile menu is a little unintuitive. You'd expect selecting nothing in a category to be the same as selecting everything in a category, because logically there's no reason you'd want a nothing stockpile, but it doesn't actually work that way

I end up setting my finished good stockpiles based on material, instead of type. All rocks can go to one stockpile. Cloth, silk, and leather will basically always be clothes and can go to another. Metal is a little more annoying because armor counts as a finished good so I have to go in and unclick all the armor types if I don't want my gauntlets in the same stockpile as my trading stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If nothing else, you can build ceilings over any crucial outdoor structures (grass will continue to grow and animals will be completely fine penned in an area without sunlight as long as it used to get sunlight). Wood is harder, but depending on your map, the caves might be a safer source than the outdoors.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every embark I've done in "untamed wilds" has had a pretty constant stream of agitated birds starting from around a year in or so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hbag posted:

hmm my ranged dwarves wont pick up any bolts even on equip/always
and the ammo icon is red like i dont have any, even though i have like... 300 bolts and arrows
theyre just walking around with empty quivers

People were saying it's a bug with equipment. Tell them to use the archer equipment preset and they'll pick up bolts, even if you change the equipment later

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
having a single cavern 100 Z levels tall instead of multiple distinct cavern levels is kind of annoying, but it does make it very easy to engineer caveins on annoying forgotten beasts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you build a safe fortress relying entirely on sustainable materials fenced off from any danger, are you even really dwarves? you gotta dig too greedily and too deep

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
spekaing of too greedily and too deep, I now understand the gem-encrusted obsidian walls in the bottom cavern

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

So I'm having some miasma issues. How do I get my dwarves to prioritize hauling out rotten food?

In standing orders, you can change whether dwarves treat various types of corpse bits as belonging in the refuse stockpile or belonging in the dump

You can also make a custom labor for refuse hauling and tell one dwarf to only do that for a while until the problem is solved

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuebot posted:

I'll see about messing with that, while I'm asking more questions: what makes a room better quality? One of my dwarves got elected mayor and is now demanding a better study, room, tomb and dining hall but even my newly upgraded dining tavern isn't good enough

The sale value of all items in the room (plus the value of the walls and floors themselves, so engravings help)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got a migrant who was so wounded that he couldn't stand as he spawned in. I thought maybe he got attacked by something but nope, he had diagnosed wounds and even some treatment. After spawning in, he just lay on the ground until someone else dragged him to the hospital on got him some crutches

Actually now that I think about it, I wonder if he's from an abandoned fort. I don't know if off-screen dwarves track injuries, but I have a lot of injured dwarves from various failures who would need crutches if they somehow made the journey to my new fort

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do kind of wish there was a mining mode which would let you automine any stone, not just economic stones. Like you don't want to have the autominer be able to select granite by default but I'd love to be able to declare bauxite and kimberlite autominable to get at the gems they're hiding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've never actually gotten a werebeast despite people acting like they show up all the time, is it possible for a world to generate without them or something? I've been on one world since getting the steam version

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The notification that farming was canceled due to lack of seeds is (usually) a minor bug/ weirdness. If a dwarf is hauling the container with all your seeds, other dwarves won't be able to use it and you get the cancelation message. You can reduce nut not eliminate this by setting your seed stockpile to not use barrels so the seeds are spread over bags instead. You can also check whether you actually have seeds at a farm plot; it'll tell you if you're out

If you are legitimately out, the problem is likely cooking. Every method of using a plant except cooking it provides 1-2 seeds.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had a fortress which was going, well, a little too smoothly, and decided to seek out some Fun by mining out the gem-crusted obsidian

weirdly, that wasn't what killed me. What killed me was three forgotten beasts spawning back to back while my doors were unlocked. The first one was a web spitter and I knew it would spell trouble but I had a ton of gem haulers outside and figured I'd make an honest attempt at killing it, to save the civilians--which worked, surprisingly. The problem was that a second forgotten beast, a fire one, spawned while the web fight was going on and, full of hubris from my success against the web one, I decided to try to fight that one off too

it barely won against my military and, extremely injured and unable to stand, dragged itself all over my fortress to kill everyone--including a third forgotten beast which spawned right after my military died

what this taught me is that, even if I'm seeking out Fun, I should probably wall it off from the rest of the cavern so I don't have to decide between making a stand and abandoning all my miners, haulers, and military who were protecting the miners

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the main thing I do to future proof is leave a few blank floors between the bottom of the aquifer and where I actually start building

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you deconstruct a farm plot, are the seeds lost?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in my current fortress I had the goal of building my primary home down near the magma sea so I wouldn't have to relocate later, and dug a staircase down all the way to the bottom almost immediately

One kind of neat thing about breaching the third cavern within the first season is that I have three monster hunters before the end of the first year patrolling it and keeping the monsters at bay so I can chop mushrooms in peace

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly this attempt at having a fort built primarily down near cavern three was super annoying because the bottom layers are all lovely igneous rock so I had to haul all my ore down 100+ Z levels

You'd have to do that eventually, assuming you don't pump magma, but at least if you do it at a reasonable time you'll have an army of children and wheelbarrows to haul the ore for you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've yet to see a magma sea above Z -100 but who knows with this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do you have diagrams/screenshots of the minecart magma setup? I'm having trouble visualizing it

e: actually I think it's mostly clear, I just don't know how minecarts work so I'll have to do some reading to get the final step

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
just had a legendary gelder migrate in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the answer is probably to set your farmers workshops to take from a stockpile without sweet pods, so your work order to automatically process pig tail doesn't produce a bunch of syrup on the side. Then you can make rum in peace

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

The mood system is so drat weird,

This kid is at orange mood.

Does he have any unmet needs? Those don't always show up as thoughts but they're very important

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Elves sell tame giant animals they're better than dwarves

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jinnigan posted:

how am i supposed to safely trade with elves?? they reject all my trade offers. if i trade them a rock good that's stored in a wood bin, does the wood bin 'go over' as part of the trade, and thats what they're referring to???

it's probably good that have been decorated with bone or shell that's causing problems, if you aren't selecting a wooden bin

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today I learned that putting a windmill over a set of stairs doe snot, in fact, block those stairs

on the other hand, I have almost enough hydra skull totems to display one next to every coffin

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly I think that one of the things that could really improve the core gameplay loop at this point is a trading overhaul, making it not trivial to buy out everything that isn't completely pointless. Make the dwarves come with the finished goods of industries that are very annoying to set up, like pearlash or soap or steel. Other races come with things you can't even make at all, and are priced knowing that you have to buy from them or go without. There's a bit of that with elves selling tame wild animals but they're so cheap it never matters. Generating wealth is something you do more to fill the idle hands of dwarves than because it's worthwhile at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mashing statues of the hydra that attacked me trying to get one of it being slain, and apparently when giant monster eat small wildlife, it gets recorded in the history books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was thinking my caverns were weirdly quiet, but I had just been too effective at keeping my dwarves safe from them. The instant I unlocked the door the have a little Fun cracking open an obsidian pillar, I got three simultaneous popups of invading Olm people

I'm a little surprised, actually. I didn't just ignore the cavern, I spent a ton of labor fencing off a huge chunk to use as farm and pasture, and put a ceiling over the whole thing. Obviously that means I was blocked off once the labor finished, but I got through the construction process undisturbed