Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even remember what the next version was supposed to add anymore. I think something about making adventure mode better.

Giant trees and fist fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

To change the colors, go to data>init>colors.txt. At the bottom are
pre:
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
[WHITE_B:255]
so you can change the RGB value there to make the color something you find more appealing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I have absolutely lucked out with my most recent adventurer by spawning in the middle of a wicked mist cloud and immediately becoming a wicked mist thrall. I then proceeded to wander from town to town, repeatedly biting people and wrestling with them long enough to transfer some of my eerie soot coating to them. Unfortunately creatures who were hostile to me before becoming thralls still were hostile, but they were easily distracted by their former neighbors.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

The other most important fact from the Q&As is that ghosts can feel emotions but cannot cry due to their lack of eyes.

Man, there's going to be some weird opportunities for modding. We can rid our forts of the emotionally unstable by replacing dwarf tears with lethal acid!

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 1, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Not really that different from how most forts end up.

I can get why Toady wants to remove the old plants but part of me will be sad if I can't feed my fort off an endless supply of plump helmets anymore. Its tradition dammit.

Underground plants seem like they'll be safe for the time being.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

If you look around the houses in a town you'll almost always find a bag full of berries. The people don't actually care if you take these, so stock up.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Now, I ask this about once a year, any guesstimates on the ETA to next DF?

After a long history of release watching, I'd say between one week and three months.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Build an underground fort and excavate it! :v:

Yes, this is the best option.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tonight, on Tales of Bug Fixing:

Toady One posted:

The highlight of the last few bug-fixer sessions was definitely yesterday, when the king of my dwarves appointed a visiting merchant's yak as the general of the army while I was trading. I was working at the time on liaison issues -- the long-standing bug that fired the liaison when they left the map is handled, so you should get the same one every time now if something tragic doesn't happen to them, and I reconfirmed that if something bad does happen, you do get a new one. I guess I just need to make sure the new liaison doesn't end up being a work animal sometimes, which appears to be considered an option.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

DF actually does use those densities for muscle and fat (and 0.8 g/ml for liquid fat).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I tried it out in adventure mode and after eating three berries, waiting an hour, and repeating through 102 stolen berries the test character was still "thin" at the end of it. I might have to try it again with eating animal products since they're heavier but I'm going to guess it isn't remotely worth the effort.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

One week away from the 2 year anniversary... I'm on the edge of my seat to see if Toady will make it before then (not really I've abandoned hope).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Monthly report is curiously late. Could this hint at an imminent release!?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I highly doubt it.

I'm gonna be genuinely surprised if the new release ever comes out.

I was mostly joking, and also trying to inflict the curse of hope on some of the rest of y'all. Honestly though I would've been more pessimistic a year ago. It seems more likely for the "adding new poo poo" phase to go on forever as opposed to the bug fixing phase. Well, some programmers might be stuck in the bug fixing phase forever, but Toady's "good enough for release" is pretty permissive.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, it was 11 months from the last release when the first iteration of the current version came out. Just about a two year gap between 0.28.181.40d and 0.31.01 too.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 2, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

So the monthly report was just late and not late in an especially indicative way, but it did bring good news:

Three Toe posted:

The time has come! We are planning to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of next month.[...]

Toady One posted:

Unlike my March 2013 prediction, this one is more ironclad, so look forward to it! I was hoping to get the game together before the two-year anniversary on the 4th of this month, but I only managed to wipe out a little over two-thirds of the list in May, so we're just going to wind things up properly now, with a bit of a cushion but also a deadline. Sorry to those expecting it this week![...]

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Vander posted:

So does he mean June or July?

July I assume.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did he abstract breeding such that animal populations will re-populate in fortress mode instead of being hunted to extinction in a matter of years?

That sounds familiar.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funniest thing will be the maddening, insane bugs that invariably crop up the first week. All I have to say is "iron thrones."

Pfft, that wasn't even a real bug! I remember when Toady made friendly traders activate traps. That was a fun time, as everyone's layers of steel disks mulched the next band of humans to wander through. Much better than the 'dwarves sleep forever' bug, which made it completely unplayable.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Scrree posted:

Boogeymen are some serious poo poo in this game, also, no matter now much I eat and drink my hunger/thirst meter never go away, whats up with that?

I always just generate worlds without boogeymen.

Had a bit of an ED-209 moment: a wandering miscreant punched my traveling companion unconscious after a bit of "Yield!"-"No, YOU yield!" and then alternated between telling him to hand over his shield and beating him in the skull. After my buddy succumbed to his injuries, it was suddenly Too Real for the bandits and the fragility of life led to them wandering off.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Threw a series of adventurers at some bleak creatures to try and wipe out their lair. One of them killed the current adventurer but not before suffering serious leg injuries. When I tracked it with the next adventurer, it had left not just an imprint of its head in the dirt but individual eye prints. Night creatures don't seem to have the aversion to violence that everyone else has, as at least this family seems to instantly shoot to "No Quarter" mode as soon as I show up.

e: as the wounded but surviving adventurer drags themselves back to town to brag, they've left not just glove and coat prints but ear and tooth prints.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 10, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

If you're lost in a fortress, note that you can now fast travel while in the fortress/tunnel parts of the underground.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Another body part to update if any of your creatures use it is to change BASIC_HEAD to BASIC_HEAD_NECK. Have any of the string dumps got a complete list of the new personality tokens? I put together my own list just by copying all the personality entries from creature_standard but I don't know if that's all of them.

The 'value' entity tokens seem to have at least some obvious effects. A custom civ with [VALUE:COMMERCE:30] (30 being the highest value in vanilla, don't know if it's useful to put it any higher) occasionally greets each other with "Make any good deals lately?"

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ gaits are confusing as hell. Has anyone figured out exactly how they work? Toady's explanation in the raw files doesn't explain much.

Here's what I got out of the explanation in c_variation_default:

Argument 1: Basic speed
Arg 2: Fast speed, and the speed that Faster and Fastest start at
Arg 3: Faster speed, needs 5 tiles(?) to reach max
Arg 4: Fastest speed, needs 10 tiles(?) to reach max
Arg 5: Slower speed
Arg 6: Slowest speed

Top 3 speeds are slowed by being stealthy, being fat, or being muscular, but are also increased by Strength and Agility. Fast uses 5 energy, Faster 10, and Fastest 50, whatever those correlate to. So the 4th argument governs top speed, which I take as meaning 8775 is 1 kph, 878 is 10 kph, and 100 is 87 kph which is definitely not linear. With the old [SPEED] gone, I guess speed of attack/work is governed completely by attributes and skill?

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 11, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't figure out what the !ARG parts of the gait are supposed to be. According to the example Toady left it is supposed to represent top speed but I have no clue how. I mean how am I supposed to now how fast 10 is without any point of reference.

The sprint number/top speed doesn't fit any good curve, so I'm not sure how they're derived. For my monsters I just copied them from the vanilla creature that it most closely resembled as a start.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I haven't gotten it to go without crashing long enough to do it myself, but since you can retire/unretire forts, you could probably take your adventurer to a retired fort, retire the adventurer, unretire the fort and play until your adventurer is where you want, then presumably retire the fort and unretire the adventurer.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

People were saying that even sieges were bizarrely non-combative. I reclaimed a world-gen fort and had a siege show up in the first summer, and while one of the attackers did get a bit freaked out when the leader murdered the livestock the gobs had no problem running the dwarves to ground and murdering them.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

- Found a ruined temple where the worlds only hill titan was last seen. Once I got there, a bunch of stuff fell over. I found the titan, and the titan's head a good distance away. Somewhat anticlimatic.

I'm two for two on titan shrines having a big collapse as soon as I get there, though both of them survived their respective housing crises mostly unscathed. One of those titans was a giant earthworm with wings, and boy howdy did that thing take a beating. When a giant thing only has three body parts I guess those body parts are also really drat huge, and the silver axe I had could barely pierce the skin. The one that was an icy humanoid was much easier to kill by repeatedly striking its icy neck after breaking off one of its feet.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

TildeATH posted:

I need screenshots. You need to interview these kobolds.

I had a world where there were supposedly kobolds operating out of an abandoned forest retreat. Never saw them, though I did find kobold tracks there.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

packetmantis posted:

What the hell is a "dark pit"? I found one but there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there, aside from a bunch of weird sand canyons.

The goblin version of a hillock. It's a bunch of trenches connecting towers, the towers have some corridors and rooms beneath them.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Does that mean you can demoralize invaders by routing them through the bonehoard? Because hell yes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

In fort mode I think the only things that might be messed up with a tileset would be the trees. In adventure mode there's a bunch of new display elements that might be all weird if the tileset replaces flasks, cages, stairs, or some other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Is there a good square ASCII tileset? I hate the non square mess that is the default it makes my head hurt trying to figure out why my room isn't square when I wanted it square then I remember and think it looks stupid still. I don't mind ASCII itself I had a square tileset back in 2010 (I don't think I ever played 2012, the last version I played was before minecarts)

edit: Square for 2014 gently caress 2012 :black101:

I use this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Unknown_curses_12x12.png

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Danith posted:

So I just died after an epic battle against a dwarf (well, my first and only battle). Is there a way to export the combat log and stats?

Stats, no, but gamelog.txt in same folder as Dwarf Fortress.exe will have all the combat events.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

You drink the Marice Valeroar's dwarf blood.
You have bled to death.

While it made sense in theory, I guess you cannot replace your own blood with someone else's by drinking it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

HFCS posted:

I just patched DF 14 to get rid of the crashing bugs, and now I have a few strange things happening:

For one, I can't train my dogs. I get spammed with an error that there is no such creature. They trained up fine before the patch. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it? Second, my animals aren't making babies. Even pre-patch, my dogs were very prolific. This time I've gotten two puppies in over a year. The cattle are not breeding at all.

Also, all my dwarfs are female. All of them. Even the migrants. No idea if this is just a fluke or a bug related to this patch. Unfortunately, most of them dream of making families, which well.. sorry girls.

The patch broke save compatibility.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

FINALLY finished updating all my custom files to be compatible with the new version. Now I can experience all the new horrible things that have been added.

How riddled with bugs is this new version though? Is it playable or is it prone to falling apart at random intervals?

I've found it to be annoyingly crashy. Fun while it works, but I try and drive my adventurers into as an early grave as possible until a few more crash bugs get fixed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Is it true that Toady added the possibility of non-heterosexual units with the addition of an [ORIENTATION] tag in the last update? :aaaaa:

Apparently yep, that's exactly what it does.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That must be something that was either added or removed; I don't have those options at all in 40.01.

They're still there, they're these:
[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone else getting massive lag while visiting dark fortresses.

Any place with a bunch of dudes in it lags pretty hard.