Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mmm tallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus.

I play with aquifers off and I get this all the time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

scamtank posted:

Aquifers don't affect cave water levels at all. The dampness is determined in worldgen.

No, there will be mud there, but the plants are just not there (no trees and no fungus).

Wormy Tendrils are the most adorable biome feature :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I finally found an embark with phase spider silk and good metal and poo poo and .... AN EVIL CLOUD OF BULLSHIT wafts over the wagon before I even get any digging done and everyone turns into monsters. THE END.

You really don't want to ask this game "aww come on how bad could it be?"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Do it anyway. So what if the individual traps do insignificant damage? Just make more of them! Sure, you might want a few real traps thrown in to ensure they don't actually live through your trap tunnel, or a military squad to kill them if they do, but "not enough damage" is a problem that will resolve itself if you just keep adding the bones of every slain enemy to the arsenal.

I did something like this with falling rock traps (something like 300 in a 3x100 tunnel) and an interesting thing happened:
- It only killed a couple of the first goblin ambush that hit it
- The survivors were all highly skilled blockers/dodgers by the time they got to the end

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

scamtank posted:

I've heard something about really high falls on top of spear traps making the victims instantly legendary blockers or armor wearers, since the gained XP somehow scales with the astronomical amount of force inflicted. How heavy were those rocks?

I dunno, I guess that might depend on the material? It was just layer stone of some sort.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So yeah I'm trying Masterwork/Warlock Tower and I got the random name

KNIFERAPED

:stonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Masterwork DF Manual posted:

Mined "living rock" can be butchered for meat

what :stare:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That actually neatly solves the problem I was having trying to play Warlock in evil biomes: what the gently caress do I eat?

I think one of the nicest things packaged with Masterwork DF is the preset worldgen setups that filter out all the really cruddy/boring embarks. I've tinkered with vanilla DF worldgen for probably hundreds of runs and still have a hard time getting large numbers of evil biomes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry. It's just not viable as a food/alcohol source. Still, at least it keeps a couple of dwarves busy (activating every single ambush on the map as they traverse the entire length to grab a wild bee colony while half your hives sit around full).

It's a huge pain in the rear end but you can manage things like silk gathering and beekeeping with burrows, basically define a burrow that covers your hives (or whatever else you want to restrict a guy to) plus eating/residential areas, and then assign citizens that have that labor enabled to that burrow.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Masterwork is put together by a bunch of separate people sharing all their work through Github and I believe they allow early downloading if you want a newer version of whatever really badly, look in the Masterwork forum:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=830330289fa9cf896a73ce2f1d5a6501&board=24.0

efb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Droid posted:

Any advice for playing as Warlocks in Masterwork? (aside from making sure you have a bonesaw to construct a morgue for when your skeletons get trashed, that is)

Can you make a bonesaw anywhere? I don't see where to make one or select one for a custom embark.

e: never mind "@Hiphop38: the metalsmith forge and crafter has bonesaw."

aha there it is under Weapons for custom embark equipment

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 4, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So you only get skeletons, ghouls and vampires after year 1? That's pretty annoying.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fyi on that topic from the warlock bay12 thread:

how to get 3 (or more) warlocks in your starting group? . before selecting a place to embark type Startdwarf 10 into DF hack.

e: Oh I see, this literally starts you with 10 citizens in the first wave. still random.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 4, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm gonna leave Warlocks alone until it's a bit more developed. There's a lot of really very interesting stuff in it but it just seems too frustrating to get a working balance of units without resorting to dfhack.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay Tears of Armok is a pretty neat addition in Masterwork. Why does Toady keep his head jammed up his rear end when it comes to making DF extensible and supportable? Really he should co-opt a lot of the features in Masterwork because they're nifty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's not what I'm saying, I mean the methods these guys have built to extend the way DF works aside from the actual content itself. DFHack basically has a full blown script interpreter built into it now, aside from the weird voodoo it already did to work at all (directly manipulating the executable while it's loaded in memory).

e: but yes actually a lot of the content is pretty awesome as well and could be laid in alongside base DF content without changing the game works, e.g. the alternate playable races.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have a Masterwork Warlock fort that seems to make the game crash when a certain amount of time has passed, I have no idea what specifically is causing the crash but it happens a little while after I load. Is there anything I can do to diagnose what's making it crash? I'd really like to hold onto this embark because it has 8500 bluemetal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm in like year 4 now and I'm not getting waves of migrants any more (Warlock). I have a vague hunch that a miner is breaking open something like warpstone and getting a syndrome that blows up when laid on skeletons, I'm gonna just save closer to whatever is making it fault and see if I can catch it I guess.

e: seems to have been a flaky ambush, which loaded successfully and assfucked all my units but at least I'm past it

or maybe it wasn't, oh well :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 8, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not quite that, the civ keeps going (I've reclaimed this fort 3 or 4 times now) but you just don't get any more waves of migrants after the first couple. If you want more units (and you do) then you have to make them on site.

That crash problem I'm having seems to be caused by ambush/sieges, which really sucks.

e: I should note I've had this problem with vanilla DF in the past too so I suspect it's lack of sanity checking on Toady's part.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You know what, vampires can gently caress off and die.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That crash problem I have when ambushes are spawned seems really frequent. No one else has this kind of problem?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I turned off the player civs I'm not using and rerolled a world, hopefully it's one of those.

Also, this is why I keep rolling random names rather than just typing something:

The Warlock stronghold of FATBUTTOCK

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sorry, I meant I turned off both playable (already was doing that) and NON playable. I've gotten elven, dwarven and human sieges so I know those are OK, plus goblin ambushes, so I left them on (NPC).

e: There's something really gratifying about having your horde of undead warriors powered by the souls of kittens :3:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Where to you make a sawblade in Masterwork? The docs say it's supposed to be in the Engineer's Chamber but I don't see it.

e: haha right after I posted that I noticed it, never mind it's in the Engineer's Chamber after all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Isn't that mean :smith:

Seriously you can just exterminate them with DFhack if they really bother you, there's a "slayrace" command (which I've never used so maybe it does not work)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not related to DF obviously but some people (PETA) really think that way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/us/peta-finds-itself-on-receiving-end-of-others-anger.html?_r=0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For Masterwork Warlocks, does the skeleton upgrade to ironbone/bloodsteel actually work? I assign a specific skeleton to the corrupted forge, I see him bring all the materials to the corrupted forge, I check him and see that he's running the task "infuse skeleton with ironbone" but it just consumes the materials and doesn't actually upgrade the skeleton. What's up with that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

canepazzo posted:

But seriously, my MW games always seem to end up breaking after I hit 100 dwarves, either by hard crashes or in-game bugging out; never had any big problems with vanilla.

Play for a while with Invaders disabled - yes I know it's not nearly as cool, but for diagnostic purposes. This was how I nailed down for sure that some invader group was causing my crashes, you may have the same problem. I'm still not quite sure which group is/are the big offender but at least now I know why my crashes were happening, I ran a sandbox fort for about 10 years with only a couple of crashes.

For Masterwork Warlocks, how do you make pens, for writing books/villainous academy?

e: and now for a warlock fort with training wheels off (I think Humans were causing my crashes) - thank you random name generator, CHANTBITCHES is just fine. Embarking with basically nothing but 34 female beak dogs and one male :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 15, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A dwarven siege team invaded me in my first year, got into a fight with a pair of grimelings early on, and a year later they're still brawling. One of the grimelings is missing a hand, both of them have literally pages of scars. What the gently caress grimelings.

Also the bitches of Chantbitches are not breeding, but the mephits are popping out litters of baby mephits. What the gently caress beak bitches.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I have a similar problem with worldgen blowing up if you let it run too long, apparently that's pretty common. Just set a cutoff of ~200 years or so. IMO the only thing it really affects is you have a smaller selection of poo poo to engrave, and maybe it's a bit less likely you'll have a lot of animals your culture has domesticated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

That's a good question really, and not that hard to test. It probably SHOULD work that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay I hate success, let's play Kobolds for a while. (Actually I keep getting crashes in my Warlocks games so I give up)

e: if anyone's interested in a pretty easy start for warlocks, farm grave cats or some other fast-breeding domesticated critter and just wall up and buy the good poo poo with butchered souls from the demonic attorney

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's been a while since that has happened to me but yeah I've gotten something like that in vanilla as well, in an isolated chunk of geography. Supposedly your dwarven civ bros can always reach you but I've had at least one fort where no one ever came to trade or raid, after like 10 years.

Unrelated, Kobold is pretty drat different!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, this seems likely to be the cause of my crashing problem:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137558.0

a cool dude posted:

I've had a problem with crashes due to diggingInvaders, it's turned off in the GUI but dfhack still has it enabled which I guess leads to problems. There was something about it buried in the bug thread. Type "enable" in the DFhack console to see if DiggingInvaders is on. If it is but it's disabled in the GUI then that could be your problem. I've had problems with it while having digging off but razing on so you try disabling it completely even if you'd prefer it on and see if that helps.

Mine indeed does have diggingInvaders enabled!

e: yeah it's flagged enable in DFHack.init gently caress that poo poo

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 18, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fun Masterwork Warlock emergent gameplay thing: Certain evil biome "Clouds of Abominable Murk" inflict a syndrome that makes ghouls into "murk husks", causing them to behave essentially just like skeletons. They don't eat or drink or sleep any more, but they keep their ghoul default skills and keep moving fast. Warlocks maintain control of them just as they do skeletons (line of sight). The cloud has no effect on warlocks themselves. The more you know!

e: they don't show up in Dwarf Therapist any more but they do continue to do their assigned labors which is fine

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

On the topic of domestic animals, do the animals domesticated by a given fortress remain so for another fortress from the same civilization? It would be kind of neat to do a series of fortresses in various biomes, all from the same civilization, with the goal of eventually domesticating as many creatures as possible. Like the plot of pokemon, if Ash Ketchum solved problems by getting drunk and randomly pulling levers.

There is something like this going on, in that whenever I tame a certain number of animals of the same species I get "The warlocks of MyCulture now know something about shitbird training." I dunno if it's quite that simple but in a little while I'll abandon this fort and check. I'm getting this message after taming 3-4 of a given species so I think there's more to it than that.

e: yes it does seem to require multiple stages of this, I just trained ~12 silvery gibbons now and I got "The warlocks of Fuckersvill have attained a general familiarity with silvery gibbon training methods"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 20, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It looks like if you want to minmax that, you want to capture adults that breed and just tame offspring of the non-domesticated ones and butcher those (tamed infant animals become "domesticated" and their offspring can't be tamed further). I think I kind of blew it with this fort since I don't seem to be getting any more waves of wild animals any more but I'll keep fiddling with it.

e: When did Toady nerf the poo poo out of falling damage? I made a drop trap that drops invaders 25z and often they don't take any damage at all. What the gently caress gravity.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 20, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On taming/domesticating, from the DF wiki:
Although a number of farm animals are domesticated by your civilization from the beginning of the game, your fortress cannot individually "civilization-level" domesticate a species.1

lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This was a pretty wide variety of animals and invaders, human, dwarven, elven and drow. I don't think ANY creatures died from falling 25z, and I dropped something like a hundred. Some were injured with broken bones and poo poo, ~40% were not injured at all.

e: I mean it's not like you can't easily set up an almost totally deadly entrance with other means, drowning pits, cage traps or whatever, but why falling damage it was funny

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 20, 2014