Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

duralict posted:

I don't know what else to call them, it's the stones that appear in "vein walls" instead of "rock walls". In any case I still can't find where I can allow/forbid them in the stockpile settings, they just don't seem to have an entry.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Toady didn't know enough about metallurgy to come up with a neat dwarven advantage, I guess. So everybody else stopped having access to steel.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Aquifers don't affect cave water levels at all. The dampness is determined in worldgen.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dang. That's food for thought.

How is he going to model all of this?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You could make a reaction that takes bones and produces a weapon made from the bone's material, sure. It'd be terrible, but you could.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I did something like this with falling rock traps (something like 300 in a 3x100 tunnel) and an interesting thing happened:
- It only killed a couple of the first goblin ambush that hit it
- The survivors were all highly skilled blockers/dodgers by the time they got to the end

I've heard something about really high falls on top of spear traps making the victims instantly legendary blockers or armor wearers, since the gained XP somehow scales with the astronomical amount of force inflicted. How heavy were those rocks?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DEVLOG TI- no actually it's just a Future of the Fortress session. There was a word about plants, though:

quote:

Q: Now that we have real world fruits, etc, what will happen to the other ones (aside from the underground crops) which were basically analogs to real world crops? Like will bloated tubers become potatoes or something?

A: That's an open question. My thought was to scrap them, since the real-world ones are more interesting and I want to use that stronger diverse base of mechanics and potential mechanics as a place to generate random ones from eventually. Generated plants can have more intricate ties to generated mythology than the made-up plants without constraining the game, I think, and it allows for more possibilities (and our made-up plants are crappy enough that they could all have easily been generated without decreasing the quality at all...).

All the same, they could end up dying a slow lingering death instead, and some might survive indefinitely.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

quote:

Quietust: Fortunately, this problem has a sort of a workaround - save the game, edit the raws to make blood boil at room temperature, load the game and unpause long enough for the blood to boil away, then save the game and change the raws back.

kwieland: Doesn't that kill all the dwarfs, Q?

Quietust: No, it doesn't - all it does it cause dwarves to refuse to eat food (with the apparent reason being that it's too hot) until you change the blood properties back to normal.

:psydwarf:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

April fools. It's me. I'm the joke

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: It's silly day on the internet: April first. But you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to tell you something that is no joke. We are working like dogs to get this release out and you know it's coming. Because of your gifts we are able to bring it to you without worry or stress. We cannot thank you enough.

Congratulations to the generous!

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out in March! Plant objects should be ready in a day or two, then there are just intruder checks, info screens and vampire/god guards to handle for the feature list to be complete. Once that's done, I'll be cleaning random crap for a while until the game is playable, as usual.

Mar: $3606.70
Feb: $2803.99

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Check it out, Toady posted the new plant raws!

https://bay12games.com/dwarves/plant_crops.txt
https://bay12games.com/dwarves/plant_garden.txt

Dwarven popcorn: confirmed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

As long as he builds a framework that can accommodate the proper way things work, I don't care how wrong he gets his preliminary facts.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, that's what happened to gem and stone densities during the v34 dev cycle. That was a major undertaking with a lot of references, though. Just going "nuh-uh that's not right" isn't enough to convince him.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The stockpile mess is only because of jugs. They don't empty correctly into barrels or get stored according to contents, like buckets and barrels do. If you get rid of the royal jelly and set the reactions (pressing and brewing) to use barrels as containers instead, everything is hunky dory.

Well, except for the mead being produced in small stacks. Unlike all custom reactions, the hardcoded brewing job ignores all container size constraints and can stuff 50 units of booze into a single 2 liter barrel. If the meadmaking reaction tries to put more than a dozen units of mead into a barrel, it just uselessly spills on the floor of the workshop.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Toady One posted:

RL taxes are handled, and the tree raws are about ready to post. I just need to finish pomace/oil stuff and some shaping.

Okay, I suppose!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

RAWS ALL OVER YO FACE SKEET SKEET SKEET

Toady One posted:

I'm still missing a few variables, and everything continues to be subject to change, but these trees seem mostly done. I also updated the other files.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Do they look like they're on the brink of death? If not, you shouldn't have to worry. It's not rare to have people waltzing around without a worry in the world while their old, treated wounds are oozing pus everywhere.

I have no loving idea what infections do to a system, honestly.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The first two waves are hardcoded and always arrive no matter what. There's no known way to disable them, either.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No. I'd have to guess something is really hosed with your invaders.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What the hell kind of name is Devlog?

Toady One posted:

Ah, sorry about that, I was... delayed. Relatives and such. Messing around with info screens, the sort of agreement data I was displaying involved my returning a daughter to her father after a kidnap rescue. He was a scout hanging out at a hill dwarf tavern mound. The reunion might have been touching, but instead of the father running over and embracing the daughter, an unrelated drunk at the other side of the room shouted the daughter's name and then ran over and hugged me while the father and daughter stood in place crying tears of joy. It's fixed now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Deon does good work. Before Masterwork came along, it was one of the most popular big mods for a reason.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Man it's easy to forget about DF when you have a new devlog I mean video card.

Toady One posted:

I did the things I wanted to do with intruder detection. Moving on to the vampire/god tweak I mentioned on the 19th, I ran into a new world gen crash, but it reproduces so hopefully that'll be cleaned up soon.

What loving things. :confused:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The only reason I can think of is that someone else got elected into that role, but I don't think barons or the other "proper nobles" fall under that category.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's going to be an actual hierarchy between site leaders starting next version, actually. gently caress if I know what it really means, though, aside from some token "Urist Grafolömon was elevated to the rank of Baron by his mother county" mention in history.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, most of his FotF replies are just him telling people what the new features aren't going to do.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey have you heard of this really cool masterwork add-on? its called "dwarf fortress" or something

Toady One posted:

Fixed up all the crashes and other discovered vampy brokenness and did what I wanted to do with vampire rulers and pretend gods. That leaves a few of the options on the info screen to complete before we get to the bug pile. Thanks to all the birthday well-wishers... that was reasonably intense.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Just make the "extraction door" some stairs and a hatch in the ceiling of the killroom. Hatches cannot be smashed from below.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dfhack/liquids lets you force the "flowing stream" flag on any given tiles. Does it only work with water?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Any ETA on the next big update? It's what I'm waiting for before I get back into the game :(

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Toady One posted:

I finished the options I needed to handle on the information screens today. That leaves me with my "issues" text file to work through. That's the next and final step for this release -- getting it up to a state where it isn't an utter and fundamental degradation of the currently released version. There are crashes, optimizations that need doing, dwarves that seem to potter off without thinking in between certain jobs, and all manner of other trouble.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The best embarks are when everyone and everything in your fellowship (sans the wagon) starts out packed on a single tile on the tippy-top peak of the highest mountain on the map.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Meadows are completely alright. Just make a keep on the surface first.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf devlog

Toady One posted:

I've been through 20 or so issues so far -- much fewer than I anticipated, due to the various filming and audio recordings going on the last several days. It may be a while before we see something arise out of it, but it was fun, and there should be Scamps footage. In any case, animals talk to me less, talking to gods doesn't crash the game, there are fewer battle announcements from the underworld, you can't skip out of the load progress bars, vampire accusations work again, and that sort of thing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DO YOU SEE DE DEVLOG-MAN // HOPPING OVER ON DE WHITE HOT SAND
HERE HE COME WITH SOME FOR ME // FRESHLY TAKEN FROM DE DEVLOG TREE

Toady One posted:

Here is a Future of the Fortress reply. Various issues have also been completed... book reading crash, arena crash after you play a fort game, broken guide selection, broken creature occupancy flags after emotional breakdown, messed up tree lighting flags, dwarf mode conversations breaking all their jobs over time, etc.

Here's an article by David Shimomura I was interviewed for in preparation for our upcoming appearance at TWO5SIX in Brooklyn next month.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm not going to touch that statement with a five-foot pole. MAYDAY REPORT

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: The view looks pretty good, standing on the pile of generous contributions you have sent to help support the project! Nothing stands in the way of the next version of Dwarf Fortress but a mass of annoying bugs. With your help, we don't have to worry about getting crappy part-time jobs. We can work on the bugs the way they need to be dealt with: full-time and with no mercy!

Congratulations to the generous!

:stonkhat:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: That was intense. Thanks for a great month! Now all I need to do is try to wrap this up before we cross over any more anniversary milestones. There's not much more to say this time -- the list is chunky and filled with various dwarf trauma and other shenanigans that need to be cleaned up.

Apr: $6428.15
Mar: $3606.70

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

An expected version never releases. It always comes by surprise. Stop looking.

Toady One posted:

The bug-fixing mission continued today. Fewer logs hanging in the air, though they can still get stuck in trees which is a little odd but maybe not a deal-breaker. Fixed a problem with the wait order for companions... fixed a problem with the "sensing" ability vs. stealth. Handled some mangled announcements for crushed joints. Got rid of residual grass that provided stealth bonuses after being trampled. Added some more control over where twig tiles appear on trees. Broken guide directions. Stopped prisoners from constantly agreeing to rescue each other. Also some crashes fixed, and so on.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I wonder if that has anything to do with the Russian translation project that the localization patcher was born from.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh hey look more news.

Toady One posted:

I managed to fix a bug whereby hydras would sever the same body part multiple times if they got a bunch of near-simultaneous strikes, handled broken mushroom cap ramps, another problem with god conversations... and then went back to aching and inability to think. Zach and I both got Norwalk'd or something eating at the same fine establishment and were completely out of it on Saturday. We can keep food down today but still have to recover our energy and general sense of well-being. Pretty sure I'll be almost 100% tomorrow, so that's good anyway.

:(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Engravers get fixated on too few historical events. It's dull.

I'd like to have a way to designate between "carve ancient History" "detail fortress events" and "just doodle something".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It doesn't look for anything in the inits and can't be toggled. You either have it or you don't.

Also, the r3 version already has it built-in. If you're up to date, something has gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ACHTUNG ARSEMANGLES, DEVLOG OFF THE PORT BOW

Toady One posted:

Continuing along with issues. I went to go buy some fruit from an elven market, but there was nobody there, and when I fixed that, it started crashing, but eventually it all worked. I had what I thought was a small problem with world gen forts occasionally being placed too deeply in the mountains, but it ended up being a more subtle mess with how the mid-level mountain maps are generated, so I had to add an extra check to read ahead how those maps would turn out... the mountain forts seem to all be placed in accessible places now. Fixed a problem where an adventurer would just start out in a random field instead of the castle in town. Fixed another one of those climb/jump pathing problems, this time with getting them to understand how to leap properly in certain situations while clinging to walls. There are still a few of those left potentially. Also cleaned up an issue causing residents to wander far away from their houses or into rooms they didn't intend to be in.