Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
How do you guys prefer to lay out your fortress' traffic arteries, especially vertically? So far I've just been doing a pair of of staircases where each one alternates between to adjacent tiles every time it changes z-level (I had the impression this would prevent a dwarf from falling down the full height of the staircase if they stumbled). I've not yet gotten far enough into any fortress to know if there's a better way than this or if there'll be bottlenecks associated with it.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

yes, they now turn their noses up at some animal-based products too. i can't figure out if they're objecting to meat, the shell-based decorations on the pots of food, or both

I read somewhere that this happens if wood was used anywhere in the production chain for a piece of a the final product, even if the material is not actually a part of the final product. For pottery for example, this might be due to using fuel made from wood in the kiln. (How the elves can tell is a mystery for the ages)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
story for gang tag

I don't know why I did this to myself. I expect it will be painful

--------------------------------------------------

9th of Granite

The Elders have returned with a decision to permit our expedition to set forth, and so I have started this journal as a way to record our efforts. They have pronounced Afe Cereninidela to lead our group, and he is currently busy putting together the supplies we will need to succeed. I will pray to Olova that they chose well.

10th of Granite

We set out for the southern edge of the forest when the first ray of lights reached down through the canopy. This will be the first time in decades that a settlement has been attempted outside the heart of our forest, but the necessity of it can no longer be ignored. Every branch in The Dipped Forest already bear as much weight as it can sustain, and those travelers who make it across the plains from The Tame Jungle and The Somber Forest tell of the same being the case there. If there are untamed forests left in this world that the new and short folk have not yet cut down, the Elders know not of them. I fear that eventually they will come even for our homes in their hunger to defile nature for fuel and industry.

12th of Granite

We passed a patrol of sentries this day. They spoke of a host of our soldiers having been sent north-west across The Rainy Dunes (the name lies. That place has never seen a cloud) the day before scour the goblins from the pit they have dug closest to our fort. If their supplies last, they will push further west after that to keep the goblins' attention from our efforts south of the forest. I should be grateful for their sacrifice, were goblins the only thing we had to fear. At least the elders saw fit to grant us a pair of great felines as guardians for our group.

15th of Granite

We have arrived at the southern edge of The Dipped Forest. Before us now lies only sun-seared shrub-land, and from the tallest tree even that gives way to bare hills before our sight reaches the horizon. We will have no great Shaping tree here to supply ourselves with. Oda Fecicirathi claims she can shape new wood from seeds to bolster the supply the Elders sent with us, but the thought of wood being made at a workbench instead of being granted by nature itself sits uneasy with me. I worry it is not the only obscenity that survival out here will demand of us.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

How do you check, just seeing pop of nearby places? I made Barony and one above that but it had been a few years on top of this being a reclaim of previous fortress.

When you select your origin civilization on the world map before choosing a site to settle, it will list the population and number of settles sites for that civilization (and also highly their general location).

I got offered a civilization with no sites remaining and a population of 1.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
After several false starts that ended in tears, I finally managed to last a year and get the beginning of a proper tree fortress going. Finding a decent spot to make a tree-top dwelling that won't be an eyesore is pretty rough when you're not allowed to even trim a single leaf off the trees, and won't be able to deconstruct any walls or floors you make until the first non-elven caravan has come by to sell you a pickaxe.

Looking to turn the lower floors of this initial tree house into a tavern when I've expanded enough into the surrounding canopy to no longer need it for my own citizens.

It will of course always remain a gigantic fire hazard, which is sure to result in it all literally coming down in flames if something fire-breathing decides to pay me a visit.

edit: the dwarven caravan has been stuck in the area for half a year now because one of their guys got stuck up in a tree as they were leaving. They somehow left a pile of their trade goods behind in my depot as well, but I can't seem to remove or claim that stuff for myself. Anyone know if the caravan will eventually fix itself?

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 15, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

nielsm posted:

This up here is an elf's head.
Nobody have been fighting up on this roof over the murder tunnel, so I assume it was just lopped off from down below and flew all the way up there.

DF physics are weird. I wanted to make a pond a bit deeper, so I had my miner widen it until the water level was around 2-3, then designated a few tiles in the middle of it to be channeled, only apparently when digging out the third one, the water rushing into the hole was strong enough to sweep my miner along. Strangely I couldn't find her down in the hole itself. It wasn't until I focused on the miner through the job cancellation alert that I realized she had somehow gotten stuck up in the branches of the tree overhanging the pond several z-levels above.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

deep dish peat moss posted:

If a trader caravan gets stuck on my map, how do I get them off?

Just realized after 3 seasons of no Migrants it's because these merchants were stuck on the map, in an area I hadn't dug an entrance/built a bridge to. So I corrected that and they now have a route into the base and a route off-map. But they're still just standing here.

I had a caravan stop and get stuck as it was leaving a fortress of mine as well, and it turned out to be because one of their pack animals had gotten stuck up in a tree somewhere. Eventually they vanished shortly before they were due to make their next visit to the fortress.

Trees in general just seem really inclined to eat anyone that comes near them, then slowly kill them with starvation and dehydration.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Would an all-vampire fortress still suffer from the Vampires occasionally target each other to attempt to drink blood, or are they happy just never feeding once vampire conversion is 100% complate?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

VictualSquid posted:

Blocks. They are very useful for constructing walls and stuff. And they go into bins, so they store well.

Blocks use Stone Cutting instead of Stone Carving, I believe

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with dwarves spending literally months in the tavern doing 'Socialize!' and refusing to do any work until they are done with that?

I had considered trying to implement some redundancy by assigning several dwarves for each labor, but since I'd already automated everything around work orders on workshops with a specific dwarves assigned, changing it up so multiple dwarves can use each shop is going to be such a hassle.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Do people think this as well when they hear about Swiss cheese?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Literal cisterns full of blood. Barrel it, sell it, serve it to the vampires.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Your adventurer can be a dentist entirely through emergent gameplay.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you enable the adventure mode beta in steam. Is it just the "beta - Public beta branch"?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Thank you. Much appreciated

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Obviously the solution to preventing (ground-based) enemies from invading your fort through minecart tunnels is to make your minecarts do sick jumps across chasms as part of the route.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It seems like it just needs enough space open along one of the map edges. I recall seeing somebody mention once even that the caravan came in through the caverns below the fortress after they had blocked off the surface entirely from the trade depot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
afaik it's not the world itself that is the problem, since terrain can be regenerated from the seed almost on-demand. It's all historical records and fully-simulated living beings who take up all that space because they cannot just be recreated as needed during play.