Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Been a long time since I've tried it, but with the next update upon us I think I'll take another stab at Adventure Mode.

I've never done much with it, aside from the time I saw a housecat become a named creature for killing those olms, so:

Human Demigod
Male pikeman, named Ciko
Max stats to facilitate immediate powerleveling

First step is to immediately flee my hometown and seek out a river, then practice drowning myself in the sneakiest way possible.

Edit: As soon as he's a legendary swimmer, Ciko is killed by a Sturgeon. Goddamnit.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh gently caress, it's finally here gotta download and---

Gilok posted:

I was about to try it out but then I realized it doesn't have tilesets or dwarf therapist or anything yet. I'll let you people try it out for me. someone post tree screenshots.

goddamnit

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, gonna take the plunge and try going without tilesets.

But only in adventure mode. gently caress managing professions without Therapist.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Had an adventurer in a river, and JUST as I was thinking "You know what might be nice? A temperature gauge." The river froze and encased my stupid, stupid adventurer in ice.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I can't seem to stop playing DF2012. I'm determined to have ONE successful adventurer; all of my attempts thus far have ended rather quickly.

Any tips and advice for making an adventurer into an unstoppable warlord?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

FINALLY got an adventurer to survive long enough to get a quest to kill a vampire. I unmasked the creature, drank its blood, and immediately became annoyed at my companions boggarting my kills. They met an unfortunate accident in a nearby river.

Unfortunately, my very first attempt at feeding on a sleeping person was a failure, alerting everything nearby I was a vampire. Animals in particular hate me, as I got bumrushed by a few dozen rabbits and ducks as soon as I stepped outside the house I was staying in. Killing them meant I became hostile to everyone in this civilization, so I guess I've embarked on a quest to exterminate this township and everything nearby. I'm now eager to see what "Eystienn Glowfins the Everseeing Cleft of Limbs" shows up like in the Legends.

tl;dr That escalated quickly.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Never touched Masterwork, but now I kinda want to... any tutorials or tips you'd recommend?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started up Masterwork for the first time, and once I embarked I noticed one of my dwarves is listed as a Schizophrenic.

I'm... not sure if I'm surprised by this.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started up Masterwork, after exploring the launcher but refusing to read any manuals. Aside from some difficulty starting up, things are running smoothly, though I am buried in different types of plants. I was just getting the idea to make an open-air pit for optimal outdoor-plant farming, when suddenly my game paused and centered on a dwarf. Turns out one of my migrants was a werewolf.

Not a very good werewolf, mind. He dropped all his clothes on the stairs, then proceeded to get killed by my carpenter.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Not only am I not sure the 'were WASN'T one of my original 7, but there was a rather climactic fight on the stairwell. He bit off my carpenter's left arm, while the carpenter continually bashed the werewolf with his mining pick. Eventually he impaled the werewolf through the heart, and twisted the pick until the monster died.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 11, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Adventures in Masterwork mod. I'm slowly learning things that have been mentioned in here (too late), such as "Turn off research" and "don't enable hard farming for the love of god", and I think it's about time to abandon the fort and re-gen because none of my plants grow at all jesus christ.

My question now is this: does Masterwork fix the ungodly-broken Undead from evil rains/fogs? I'd like to get some evil biomes going, but I don't want a repeat of the last fort I tried on a purple square: a zombie got lit on fire and tanked my fps by eternally burning, but never dying.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

I don't think MW has touched it yet, but I have managed to tone down their impossible strength bonuses.

MW still includes the string patcher (dfint.exe), right? Open up template.lng (the one that has Meph's changes in it, if there's more than one file) and add this line somewhere:
|[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]|[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:120:300:TOUGHNESS:200:400:START:0]|

Patch the executable with that in the template and generate a new world. The zombies and thralls in it will be considerably less cancerous and tank-like.

e: Now that I thought about it, you might be able to make the changes into an ongoing save, too. The syndrome data should be stored as plaintext in the save's world.dat, but I don't know if it takes.

Awesome, thank you. I posted it at the end of the file, I hope that works.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

90% of my dwarves got drafted to deal with a pair of minotaur thieves that snuck into my hospital and well area. A truly epic slapfight ensues until, a few moments later, every dwarf, and both minos, are unconcious on the floor, covered in puddles of vomit.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

pixaal posted:

I want to believe someone puked and everyone slipped in it and cracked their skulls on it leaving a slurry of blood and vomit causing more comical slipping. Do the combat logs have as much comedy as my imagination?

I have no idea, at this point. There's 53 pages and counting of reports on combat, just a bunch of unarmed dwarves punching an unconcious (and toothless-- there's teeth scattered everywhere) minotaur in the head until they get so tired they pass out.

I tried assigning mining picks and training axes as weapons, even, but the mino is almost standing on the weapons stockpile, and is close enough to the main stairwell that everyone is just running about in a panic.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

90% of my dwarves got drafted to deal with a pair of minotaur thieves that snuck into my hospital and well area. A truly epic slapfight ensues until, a few moments later, every dwarf, and both minos, are unconcious on the floor, covered in puddles of vomit.

Day 11 of the Slapfight. One of the minotaur took a lucky shot and died, but the other is disrupting my entire fortress.

He's passed out in my meeting hall, a few steps from my main stairwell. Teeth are scattered everywhere, and checking the Wounds screen reveals that the minotaur is one giant bruise, completely toothless, and with a broken neck. It is completely harmless, capable only of vomitting in its coma.

Sadly none of my dwarves seem to realise this. They are taking shifts to slap more bruises onto the mino's skull, while quickly begining to starve and dehydrade because nobody can stop panicing long enough to eat and, I dunno, grab a weapon.

Meanwhile, in the confusion, a child that ran outside got shanked by a surprise orc. He bolted off the edge of the map, leaving a trail of blood. He is now listed as Missing.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

WHY did I think enabling diseases in my Masterwork fort was a good idea? Now my entire fort has meningitus.

On an unrelated note, I have one dwarf that I can't seem to assign labors to. Any idea what's up with that?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Adventure Mode does not seem to appreciate my attempts to cross a nearby stretch of ocean.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Since Therapist is working, I decided to try a fortress again. My embark was immediately slaughtered by some undead ravens.

Tried a SECOND fort, and things started going a bit strange. For one, I'd keep getting messages that something has collapsed on the surface. My best guess is that the twigs in the trees couldn't support the weight of blossoms.

The second odd thing is that it started raining elf blood.

And I'm nowhere near an evil biome.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Everyone espouses playing as a slade colossus, but I think I'd rather play as a dragon. Feels like it'd give some more weight to taking territory, ruling over cities, and killing rival megabeasts.

Any quick way to mod that in?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Experiment: Dragon Adventurer is a go!

Successfully added the entity to the raws, and re-genned a new world, allowing me to become a dragon. I spawned on top of an elven retreat, and everyone around immediately bolted in terror, until I told one in no uncertain terms to sit down and shut up. He didn't have anything interesting to say, sadly.

I quickly learned that dragons do not have hands, according to the game, and thus cannot climb. Fortunately they can jump out of trees with no ill-effects.

I Traveled a bit and set about on a training regimen, to buff myself up in preparation for storming a castle. I can report that dragonfire as an ability is intact, I will test later on moving targets. Dragon adventurers, as a note, get hungry and thirsty.

Unfortunately, they also don't progress any skills. I'm guessing I need to add [INTELLIGENT] and [CAN_LEARN] to the creature raws? Where even are the megabeast files, I couldn't find them on my first sweep.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Dragon adventurer testing continues. Adding the [INTELLIGENT] tag indeed allowed me to learn skills through practice, but when I came across a necromancer tower I found a new problem: because dragons have no hands, they cannot do fun things like pick up anything, meaning no grabbing things to eat, no picking up slabs, and no reading.

How do I change a dragon's forelimbs to act as fine manipulators?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Give the front feet [GRASP] tokens.

Can't seem to find a place to put it. The raws say it uses [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE], which is my best clue, but I don't want to muck about with every other clawed being and suddenly have every beast in the world grow opposeable thumbs.

And I'd love to give them happiness strings and motivations, but I've really never read code before so this is all new to me.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Still doodling around in Masterwork, and encountering a rather odd occurrence with my Hospital. Dwarves that are on tables or traction get fed and watered by idle dwarves, but dwarves in beds are not. It's leading to anyone with minor injuries dying of thirst, but anyone with serious wounds making a full recovery.

I've tried deconstructing the beds beneath the dying dwarves, but everyone seems content to leave them there, and not rescue them to a new bed.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Somehow, the strangest thing I've encountered so far is my chief medical dwarf actually doing his job in a timely and efficient manner. :psydwarf:

It's bonkers.

Edit: Strike that. Now the strangest thing is a tree collapsing on my wagon, and the reports telling me my sheep were caught in clouds of boiling magma.

Maybe leaves just burst into plasma as soon as they fall from a tree, I don't even know.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 27, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

DrMelon posted:

The succession is avenging the untimely death of the previous player and/or taking over worldgen sites to make a warlord bandit civilisation composed entirely of adventurers. Then you could upset the civ in fortress mode and try to survive the pummeling of adventurers.

So kinda like Rogue Legacy: Dwarf Mode?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Something curious is happening at my fort.

A year ago now, a goblin siege (in the first year, wtf) wiped out all but a handful of my dwarves. I survived the tantrum spiral, and after a few migrant waves, am back in working order. For the past few waves, it's been "Migrants have arrived, despite the danger" but I figured that was word of the siege, or the fact that I failed to trade anything with the liaison (who happened to be the baroness consort) last year.

Except now, it's autumn, and the dwarven caravan has arrived, and I get the message "No liaison? How curious..."

What would cause the no-show? Did... did something happen to the mountainhomes?

Edit: Oh god it did, I didn't even get an announcement but my broker became King. I am the Mountainhome.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 30, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh military, why do you continue to be the roadbump of my fortresses? I'm sick of making drawbridges and turtling up when Sieges start. Is there a way to make my militia train up faster, without needing a Danger Room?

I have this strange suspicion the answer lies in the scheduling screen. I usually set squads to train 8/9 minimum, and while they sometimes spar, more often they wait around and have endless dodging/striking demonstrations.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Somehow, 4 dwwarves have had their pathfinding completely broken. They're on the surface, and not next to trees, but they are slowly starving and refusing to move. Wtf.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Anyone settled on Ocean biomes this version? I'm suddenly very curious about sea creatures in the Dorf world.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Note to self: all the archers in the world cannot defend against a surprise weremammoth.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tempted to pick up DF yet again, but I remain curious about one thing: have bees ever been fixed yet? Whenever I assign someone to start beekeeping, they end up in the middle of nowhere, standing aimlessly until they die.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Mead, and vague dreams of weaponized bees.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I find that not engraving things helps out a lot, oddly enough. Smoothing stone is fine, but once you have engravers going over everything, the game has always bogged down under the weight of art for me.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you mean the game slows down from dwarves performing engraving jobs, or just from having engraved stone in your fortress? Because I've never seen anything like the latter. (I don't see the former often either, but that's probably because I only have one or two engravers at a time.)

Both, in my experience.

Having large areas designated for smoothing or engraving starts weighing down the processor, but that's solved by simply selecting smaller areas at a time. But, I also find that the game starts really lagging once you've covered large areas with engravings, as well. If you're only engraving the walls of important areas (dining room, noble rooms, etc) it shouldn't pose a problem, but I had a tendency in the past to try and pre-train my dwarves for the military by making them mine entire layers out, then smoothing and engraving them, under the assumption that getting to legendary status in Mining and Stone Detailing would inflate their strength.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Just had a fort massacred by what I can only call a Were-elephant Spiral. One showed up on the map and killed half my military, infecting two in the process. One month later, the two soldiers transform in the middle of the barracks and kill off all but a handful of the fort...

And everyone still alive is infected. Some migrants just arrived, but now I have a half dozen were-elephants to contain before they transform again and kill off the remainder.

I think I'll assign them to the military, then send them into the caverns and wall the way up behind them. They can start a new society in the lightless depths.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

A small train of migrants arrived to find the fort totally abandoned, save for some spooked livestock and piles of bodies and dismembered limbs. The food stocks were still plentiful (though the fields were rotting) and supplies were good, so they spent the next season cleaning and interring bits of dwarf into the mausoleums.

Meanwhile, far below the surface, the six exiled dwarves have started rebuilding their society. A pick and a training axe were mysteriously gifted to them, and they've set out to carve up some of the caverns. So far they've got a few beds and some tables, as well as a couple basic workshops and, more importantly, a fishery. With food and water secured, it's time to start creating safe stockpiles and perhaps build a still for whatever plants grow down here.

All this is made somewhat difficult by the fact that upon transforming, they tend to rampage and destroy their own belongings.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Complications have arisen.

None of the local wildlife dares to approach the were-elephant settlement, and construction is proceeding quickly. Two of the exiles have even given birth. I feared the worst, but it seems that even transformed into hulking beasts, the mothers recognize their own children, and are not hostile to them.

Unfortunately, other were-elephants are. Neither infant survived the month. Four were-elephants remain.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 9, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

When they transform, occasionally they start attacking each other. I'm watching them now, and two are brawling it out, while the other two watch. I'm not sure what decides which of them want to start a fight, and which don't.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

From what I can tell, the were-elephant situation may also have been caused by a loyalty cascade, resulting from attacking the infants that two of them had borne. It's been months since they've fought with each other, so apart from continually destroying workshops and being very confused by the cavern pathing, the were-elephants are stable.

Edit: Also, has anyone else had problems with livestock breeding? It's been years and my ram has yet to be fruitful with any of my six ewes. The ram is not gelded, either.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 12, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Come to think of it, I've also not gotten a single invasion, though I checked to make sure there were goblins nearby. Maybe my save is bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Messing about with a fort in an evil biome, and immediately remembering why I don't: an entire herd of undead giant boars just came charging onto the map less than five minutes after embark. They didn't even run into any sort of foul weather, which at least I would understand: I just have endless waves of pre-deadified animals coming to visit.

I'd like to set up a fort near a tower sometime and actually try to deal with invasions, but the undead are so overpowered it doesn't ever seem worth the effort.