Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

A fresh Dwarf Fortress thread? Oh boy, he must have released the latest

scamtank posted:

Is it out yet?

No, it's still not out yet.

:(

scamtank posted:

Is this poo poo seriously all text? My head hurts already.

At its core, yes. It’s a top-down perspective, with only one plane on the Z-axis visible at a time. If the ASCII burns your eyes, there’s plenty of options from picking a softer color scheme to altering most of the tileset into custom graphics. The installation is a fairly simple process, but the Lazy Newb Pack streamlines a lot of it. Skip to the Modding section for details.

The very busy and very filthy dwarf fortress of Kilrudzat, presented in both basic ASCII and the latest Phoebus tileset.
Can you find the silk robe soaking in puke?

As a lover of the ASCII tileset, all that white seriously hurts my eyes. Do I have to dive into the raws and change a bunch of stuff if I want it to be darker, or should I be a baby and just go for the 'art' version?

Visually I can understand what all the ASCII symbols mean (except the pink beds, wtf? Did you chop trees in an underground cave or something?) but while I appreciate difficulty I don't like having my retinas burned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Gilok posted:

Well if the yak is the best person for the job. :colbert:

If the alternative is a dwarf there's no 'if'. High-ranking dwarf wants a table, a bed, a nice room, chairs, etc. Yak will sit in one spot and doesn't even need to sleep.

Aug 24, 2011

help

please

Aug 24, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like everything is under control to me.

no its not more came

jesus poo poo how do i fight this, they are on the wrong z level to magmatise

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress poo poo i'm just gonna flood the loving thing if i can get a miner to the magma

Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress kind of loving meeting you loving rear end in a top hat dwarf

Aug 24, 2011

some family of like 10 14 children just showed up to my fort

their parents showed up too, the relationship list would put a vampire to shame

his ONLY SKILL is potter, am i meant to feed all these guys

Aug 24, 2011

6 months in, i've gotten about 40 dwarven children immigrants, not a single one of the adult migrants had a skill above adequate/novice EXCEPT for a Great Animal Trainer (thanks that really doesn't help) and im already being sieged by goblins

i thought these guys weren't meant to show up for at leaast a year or two, it's like i'm playing the orc mod except that's probably easier

Aug 24, 2011

a camel just killed four of my guys, since when are those dangerous

Aug 24, 2011

the goblins came back and most of them died to some traps i set up

now the rest of them are just standing there and not leaving

i can't meet any humans because they keep invading me in spring

e: one of my dwarves is now beating the poo poo out of another dwarf and I have no idea who started the fight or why, they're both content

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 5, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

It's a .11 fort, neither one of these two guys has any negative thoughts, I stationed the military in the room and they didn't do anything, and both of them have family members and fortress mood is on the way down already

I'm tempted to just kill the one I don't need before he kills the grower (who is losing btw) but I get the feeling that would cause one of those "enemy of the fort/civ" bugs and then I'd really be hosed

Aug 24, 2011

yeah ok now a bunch of my dwarves are killing each other, one of my hunters went berserk and i sent the military to kill him and now i guess everyone just wants to murder everyone else?

i don't even know

e: it's at least one rear end in a top hat if not more who's systematically beating the poo poo out of as many of my dwarves as he can find, he's getting better and better at fighting

i think my fortress has turned into one of those survivor-type stories where there can be only one and you have to kill all other competitors

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 6, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

any way to get water if my map has none? i can dig down to the underground tunnels if that'll get me some, apparently my dwarves want to be "clean" which is stupid but they're dwarves

e: also now they're dying of dehydration. just drink booze? stupid dwarves

Aug 24, 2011

an eleven-year old has hospitalised three people

Aug 24, 2011

quote:

Stopped civs from sending a squad when they failed to find thieves/snatchers to send

so thats why goblins are kicking my poo poo in so early

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress off you piece of poo poo

a few questions

1. can this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
2. will this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
3. if i send dwarves to fight this guy will he do some seriously nasty poo poo to them regardless of whether or not he dies
4. do megabeats (i assume that is what this is) normally flash like they're legendary-skilled or am i extra bonus hosed (he's going between yellow and tan, like a farmer/woodcutter)
5. fuckkkkkkkkk
6. do they have trapavoid
7. what do i do

Aug 24, 2011

i want to send my main dwarves (the high-end contributing ones that support the fort as opposed to the legion of haulers) off to a special area to not get killed, but every time i set a station order to a squad they always gently caress off to the entrance and get killed, even when i tell them to go in the other direction

how do i make them not do this?

Aug 24, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm two for two using the ol' send a swordsdwarf to lop the werebeast's head off in a single swing method, try that.

is that two for two on "it completely failed and everyone was hosed"

Aug 24, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

No one was harmed except the fisherdwarves who decided to take their sweet rear end time getting to safety, they're fuckin' dead.

last time i waited for a fisherdwarf i got killed by an undead horde

anyway what i was hoping would be the complete ruination of my fortress was in fact a kobold who had shapeshifted into a mammoth for about 20 seconds, damaged my gate a little bit and then just left

i'm quite disappointed, really, especially since one of the guys i sent to pull the lever is a paraplegic and he did NOT get there in time

also my mayor is 13 :psyduck:

Aug 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

He's a real go-getter, that kid.

I thought Toady fixed the thing with elves taming tigermen, but guess what showed up in the caravan? Should I buy this dude and let him be my resident meat-eating partier/probably eventual mayor?

Tigerman has mandated the construction of breakfast cereal

Aug 24, 2011

ok so all the dwarves that show up to my fort are either novice or adequate in a bunch of skills. the exception are a bunch of speardwarves who seem to be really good at tracking for some reason. every single dwarf that shows up inevitably has about four pages worth of relatives if not more. tantrum spirals are alive and well in this fort

anyway this one fucker shows up

'talented'. 'competent'. sure buddy

born day 1 and you don't have any friends?

that's your standard diety, sure

ok go gently caress yourself with a rake

what settings do i need in order to set this guy on a permanent military patrol?

Aug 24, 2011

actually i can't tell if this guy is a vampire or not but i plan to lock him and his buddy (who is not his buddy but shares his worship) in their own special room

i feel a bit like hitler actually

Aug 24, 2011

just got another one of those probably-a-vampire migrants, except she's an accomplished armorsmith

i don't want to set it free on the fort, but i guess she gets a pass. might wall her in somewhere a bit nicer

e: and one with absolutely no relations whatsoever, not even deities

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

If does she turn out to be a vampire, you can wall her in and drop supplies from above, then have her drop the finished armor into a pit. Everyone wins! The vampire gets to live and work a fulfilling job, your dwarves don't get eaten, and you get a tireless armorsmith.

wouldn't the quality go down if they haven't done dwarfy stuff in a while?

also i assigned a bunch of them to a burrow (because there's like 6 dwarves that showed up all with these suspicious traits) and now they're just standing in place and not moving. maybe a meeting hall will get them moving

e: if any of them fall asleep or get hungry or thirsty that means they're safe right? i can let them out? once my mason stops being on break of course and if they starve oh well

e2: thanks to a strange mood clothier making a chausse i know that a necromancer is king of my civ. just to confirm, if this friendly, civ-aligned necromancer were arrive at my fort and pass by my refuse pile he would happily begin raising horrifying undead beasts?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 9, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

ok turns out every single one of the six dwarves i thought were vampires were actually just dwarves who like that one deity i decided to discriminate against

on the plus side, free great mason/engraver and accomplished armorsmith

Aug 24, 2011

canepazzo posted:

My Militia commander just suddenly became the Queen; from what I understand, that means my Civilization just got destroyed outside, does that mean no more migrants or caravans? Is there any way to salvage this? I'm on 40_11.

Also, I got sieged by Elves (they got repelled by having half their numbers killed by Wild Ostriches, I just mopped up); but I am not at war with them and I received their caravans (same civ and all) both before and after the siege. What gives?

Are you sure it wasn't a goblin civ?

Aug 24, 2011

this is weird, my magma forges don't work, my anvils (made of iron and imported) no longer seem to be usable and when I try to remake the forges it complains that the iron anvils aren't magma-safe? they're not being moved to a stockpile or anything.

Aug 24, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Are they accidentially forbid? Try to unforbid them.

nope, (iron anvil), no {(iron anvil)}, no TSK, no F, no D, they're right next to the place I want to build

Aug 24, 2011

OK I guess TSK didn't show up and forbidding/unforbidding didn't work until a dwarf picked up an anvil and I told him to piss off. Although even built over magma the forge isn't lighting up so :v:

e: I guess... now they're doing it...? :psydwarf:

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

OK anyone tell me what's going on here?

I noticed all these merchant items were all on a single tile, as though the unit carrying them had dropped them all. I didn't seize them but the merchants have left and now I'm stuck with all this crap which I didn't want. This isn't the first time it's happened either.

Aug 24, 2011

El Disco posted:

If the pack animal falls unconscious for even an instant, it drops everything it was carrying. You do get blamed for the loss, but that looks like dwarven poo poo. There aren't any consequences for that, as you'll never be sieged by your own civ. Elves and Humans do get a little pissed off.

edit: actually I'm not 100% sure if the pack animals have to die or if they can drop their stuff if rendered unconscious.

How would it even fall unconscious? Admittedly it's right next to my refuse pile and there's tons of corpses in there, but still.

Aug 24, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Once you have some stability it is really worthwhile to build a little fence (walls made of stone blocks) around your outdoor refuse pile. Since the fence isn't to keep out enemies but just to prevent caravans from seeing scary things, you can just use regular doors for access, you don't need to seal it with bridges or whatever.

Yeah in fairness I am at the point where I am exploiting melting orders to duplicate metal so this shouldn't be too tough.

The thing that dropped all its stuff seems to have dropped my offerings as well so I won't get a monarch till at least next year, but he's basically useless so who cares.

Also does the baron get promoted to count/duke automatically or do I have to do something special?

e: since when do noble mandates automatically generate arrests? I thought I could just ignore this poo poo but apparently they get arrested automatically?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 14, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In all likelihood if the bonus goods are next to your refuse pile, you killed (or stunned) a caravan animal by hitting it in the head with garbage. IDK why stone traps are laughably useless, but hit someone with stray mule cartilage and you're lucky if they don't die.

I recommend walling off most of your refuse square to make it less likely to be traveled.

the refuse pile is on a couple of ramps and all the items that have dropped in the past have been on ramps

maybe the motionless item hits them from above while they're going down or some poo poo

Aug 24, 2011

legendary clothier asked to create large amount of clothing for increasingly-naked fortress

assigned workshop, plenty of materials

does not work

told to construct additional clothing shop

does so, then goes on break

gently caress you, clothier

e: dwarves are actually getting upset because their clothes are rotting, i swear to god if this fucker going on break causes a tantrum spiral he's going in the volcano

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 15, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

turns out he was just being an rear end in a top hat

Aug 24, 2011

is it also valid to make a full set of masterwork steel armor for every dwarf

Aug 24, 2011

I have about 17 FPS so that would come in real handy

Aug 24, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Yes. Dwarves love it. Fishing is pretty sweet, and you can consistently find 'fish' (turtles, what-have-you) in water reserves you made even if it's a stairwell leading down to the part of the fort you accidentally flooded.

On the down side, hunting for wild animals seems to be broken again. And the migrant waves are one third hunters.

It doesn't even matter if it's marked - fisherdwarves are some bold souls. If it's winter and you breach the caverns, they'll go down there to find a fishing spot. On my map the brook thaws earlier in the sinister mountains than it does in the forest portion, so they wander off all the way down there to see if they can get some char or oysters.

Fisherdwarves don't care about danger or where you want them to fish.

ah yes, my first 2014 fortress death

"Urist, the undead are coming! Get inside!"
"gently caress off, I'm trying to fish!"

Aug 24, 2011

Default Settings posted:

I had built a small hut around the well, accessible only through a tunnel linking it with the fortress.

My actual problem was that the last time I played DF was several years ago - I was still used to manage without surface crops or the easier ways of irrigation. When the fortress crumbled, I was in the middle of setting up a needlessly elaborate irrigation system which OF COURSE also failed when the river froze.

just build your farms on underground soil and they'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Moats work just fine if you fill them with appropriate animals. Dry moat? Full of badgers and snakes or something like that. Watery moat? Cave crocodiles, alligators, etc. Lava moat? Crabs.

the crabs climb out though