Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Diogines posted:

I understand the ascii purists, but most people play with tiles at this point. If the OP is intended to be a recruiting tool to advertise the game, how about mixing in some actual graphics?

I am a big dwarf fortress fan but lets be real, most people don't like ascii, it is a turn off.

There is no DF tileset less ugly than the ASCII though, every single one is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

hemp (Cannabis sativa)
:420::black101::420:

Urist McDwarf cancels Make rock blocks: Too high.

Actually I'd kind of like to see pipe-smoking dwarves in game, Tolkien's dwarves are all day smoking.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not at all. Dwarf Fortress especially can be really busy-looking when playing in ASCII.

There are reasons for playing in ASCII but ultimately it's personal preference.

I'm not really sure how tilesets help with this though. DF is a very busy game, a lot of poo poo is frequently happening on screen and the game doesn't really do a lot to highlight which poo poo is important regardless of whether you are using ASCII or tilesets. It doesn't help that tiles in DF are tiny and can't fit any detail that would make them more aesthetically pleasant than ASCII unlike in, say, DCSS - it's way harder to rapidly distinguish dwarves from one another in just about any tileset I've seen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at advanced worldgen parameters, what the hell does "Generate divine materials" do?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

code:
You: A great beast threatens to bring ruin on our people.
Wingjustice the Rosy Periwinkle is in the Steppes of Autumn. Seek
this place if you hunt Necalo Gulfclans the Squid of Sacks the roc. 
Knowing no mercy, Necalo devoured our livestock and stole our 
treasures! This vile fiend even killed eight in her lust for 
murder!
Nique Ibucosin, Lasher: It is terrifying.
Ari Sulazedku, Bowman: It is terrifying.
You: It is terrifying.
GOTY

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fights in adventure mode are hilariously chatty now. I'm surrounded by goblins and they won't shut up about how they feel no terror.

e: Oh god, I killed one and now they're in full-on Kurtz mode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Seems like adventure mode is less ball-crushingly hard now, I just walked into an ambush of at least a dozen goblins with a brand new character and two meatshields and while the meatshields went down pretty quick, I killed half of the goblins and sent the rest packing without a scratch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Daynab posted:

My game crashed when I talked to a Deity :(

Yeah, right now praying to your own deity is instant CTD. Not sure if bug or snide commentary. I should try and find a physically manifest deity somewhere to see if they have dialogue at all...

Man, what crawled up this guy's rear end and died?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

How polite :unsmith:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: It is terrifying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

My embark site seems to have two empty gremlin leather tents sitting on it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^I think the blue exclamation mark means they're talking? Or it might be a tracking thing, not sure.

:eyepop:

How exactly does one equip a war dog?

skasion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 8, 2014

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Locus posted:

It's been a while since I played, how do you see a full conversation in Adventure Mode again? Like, read back on the things people just said?

P.S. shout out to the fellow ardent worshippers of Gathre The Combat of Roaring, the goddess of revenge. Now I just gotta find something to get revenge about!

a shows announcements, including all dialogue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

So I haven't played in years, how does animal care + breeding work? I assume I should build a pen for them on grass somewhere? And have a dwarf assigned to them to do.. something? I designated a zone for a pen/pasture but of course the animals don't give a gently caress, in the middle of building walls around it which is going slow as FFFFUCK because the masons won't use wheelbarrows to move the stone.

Animals breed by basically magic, as long as you have both sexes in your fortress they will whelp eventually even if they're not pastured. You should still pasture them though. A dwarf is usually needed to drag the animal to the pasture to begin with (and drag it back when it eventually gets scared and runs away), but they aren't required for anything else (except training, but that's a whole different problem). There's no need to wall in your pastures, but when you do construct walls, do not use raw stone. As you noticed, it takes for loving ever. Use rock blocks, which are much lighter. In pretty much every fort where I plan to do extensive surface building, I have one mason assigned to churn out rock blocks non-stop.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

Thanks!

e. Har har!

I guess you can say that about a talking wagon.

e2. Ahahaha, I retired my wagon and now it's hanging around wearing socks and sandals on it's wheels.

Of all the bizarre things in DF, the fact that wagons are STILL animals literally years after vehicles were added to the game has to be one of my favorites.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sankis posted:

What's up with Collect Webs? I have a guy sitting here spamming that he can't reach when there's an open path to the cave system below my fort. It seemed to only happen when I built some walls down there (that didn't block anything) but even after removing them it's happening.

Edit: Also my queen just came with my third migrant wave. I'm up to 35 dwarves. I guess they have nothing to do in really young worlds.

I think dwarves can cue up jobs to collect webs or hunt in caverns even when you haven't revealed the tiles on which the webs/animals are, but when they go to perform the job they won't be able to find a path until the tile is revealed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I've got sound, but, uh...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Glass posted:

is Dwarf Therapist for Mac out for 40.05 yet?

Yeah, the current Mac Newbie pack has it.

Unrelatedly, I've been trying to fix the raws by comparison to 0.34.11 to get the Process Plant to Bag reaction to work again, but I guess I just suck at messing with the raws because the option is still red even after messing with both reaction_other.txt and plant_standard.txt. Will I need to gen a new world to see any effect, or will modifying the raw files under the region save get it to work?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

scamtank posted:

Re-enabled effects of cave adaptation

Cool, my fortresses have been short on puke lately.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elth posted:

Maybe jewelry made from dead things will still be flagged as scary, so you'll see people running around terrified of the ¤dog bone amulet¤ around their neck.

I was pretty disappointed, back when I started playing this game, to find that totems didn't do this. I mean it's literally just a skull, why can't I set that poo poo up to strike fear in the hearts of my enemies?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

That gathering zone update itself has just a minimal effect on gameplay, but multi-item hauls would be very useful.

Agreed, but I fully expect it to be implemented such that all your dwarves try to pick up every loose stone in the fortress until they're carrying 10000000 pounds of rocks two squares before getting tired out and going to sleep, then waking up and moving them another two squares...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In the old system it was -20 (in perspective, 40% as bad as being attacked by a zombie), just enough that a meal in a legendary dining room would cancel it out. Not sure how much it has changed with the new system but I doubt it is all that bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Has .40.x killed off all kobolds forever? I haven't had a single Kobold thief in multiple forts, multiple worlds, since the July release; come to think of it, no Goblin snatchers either. Sieges and ambushes started to reappear more frequently when he fixed the "stuck armies" bug, but still no thieves. Plenty of FBs and weres tho.

This is just a hunch, but I haven't noticed kobolds in any of my games for quite a while myself, so I think they might be getting killed off in worldgen. Kobolds are wimps after all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

abrosheen posted:

Thanks for the response. Making better use of burrows and streamlining flow of dwarves/work through my forts are things I've been ignoring for a while, so that's probably the problem. I tried to build this current fort around forcing the dwarves to walk past a water fall and outside to avoid adaption, and the end result was a huge logistical mess

On a related note, getting a full cloth production chain starting from plant/animal through to clothing is a huge hassle I'm still struggling to figure out

Plant clothing is easy. Grow a farm of pig tails, process plants at a farmer's workshop to get thread, weave plant thread at a loom to get cloth, dye the cloth if you're feeling adventurous, make cloth whatever at a clothier's shop, make your surplus pig tails into booze. Animal is even easier, instead of farming you just need to have the animal and butcher/shear it. The most annoying part of the whole business is making the actual clothes, which is a great opportunity to use work orders so you don't have to scroll through a twenty item list looking for socks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Do you guys ever get the bug where randomly, the entirety of the fortress you dug out will get filled with stone as if you never dug anything (furniture, workshops and doors will stay tho, as will dwarves, trapped) and Hell gets unleashed? Had that happen to 2 different maps on 2 different worlds, and is not reproducible.

No, but the next time it happens you should post the save because that sounds loving awesome

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Excelzior posted:

won't any liquid just path around a freestanding floodgate :confused:

You could build a bunch of floodgates next to each other in order to get a sluice more than two tiles wide.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What do you think a martial trance is?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing too creative, but they do have words for "anus"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do we know much about the grammar of dwarfish? Word order and antecedents and conjugations and so forth? I can't remember ever encountering it outside of naming.

Only insofar as it doesn't have any of those things in-game, unless Toady changed that with the last release. As far as I know all the Dwarf Fortress languages are totally uninflected, but otherwise ciphers of English.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Can't wait for Toady to add dwarven poultice antidepressents that create dependency, so when you run out of supplies to make them, they go into a rage

I'm a bit surprised that dwarves don't smoke, in Tolkien they're lighting up all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Construct a small tower over top of the flooded area and put the well in the tower.