Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i last played this in like idk 2009 wheres the quick newb guide at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how do I find soil… I feel like I used to do something with floodgates to flood a chamber with a lake??

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im racking my brain trying to figure out how you place a floodgate next to water without it flooding first

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600498821422878720?s=20&t=5-sTvOaQeIX3c6-cMo-yiA

Just imagining Werner Herzog having mastered Dwarf Fortress, and pumping out batshit-insane stories of mothers wearing battle-babies.

just sharing this because i like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLInlnfWUc

failing is fun!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is it safe to increase my starting zone to 4x4 or whatever if i have a pretty good rig

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how do you change the fps other than nvidia control panel

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got two migrant waves and have like 6 legendary dwarfs i feel like that's gotta be a bug right lol. my legendary metalcrafter is legendary in like three things

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do i need a well if i have a river that freezes every winter

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got my first strange mood and managed to get a metalworking station and furnaces built and figured out how to smelt some bars and cut some gems so that i could get a fancy Crutch

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what kind of poo poo should i make now that my fortress is pretty stable. theres like a million item options and idk what is useful

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody good at the game want to post a screenshot of their work order screen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah I’ve got some setup I’m just trying to see what other items/tasks should always be underway. do I want one for ash/potash?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this happened to me too but one time the ground also collapsed into a lake. maybe a branch hit a tile near the river idk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i thought putting water through a diagonal was supposed to make it not flood my well

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i killed some crundles

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there supposed to be water in the cavern somewhere or just all this mud

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i enclose a box on the surface for farming with stone walls and tunnel up to it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

like what

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think i knew you could build roofs

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im gonna type a bunch of random numbers into the advanced worldgen options

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sick my first migrant is a legendary cook

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do i do with my stray elephants anyway

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i make them breed first

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

turns out getting a legendary cook as your first migrant gets you enough money to buy out every caravan for the foreseeable future just from churning out masterpiece plump helmet dishes

i have a volcano too but i havent tried to do anything with it yet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what should i do with this volcano. i need floodgates that survive magma right? can i do something besides magma forges. maybe something about building a magma pit like a well for dumping trash not that i know what trash is

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

If you work with channels and are careful you don't need floodgates, you can carve out channels beneath your intended forge floor and then do one last channel to let the magma in. With caution it's safe; at worst you'll lose one miner.

huh like have the magma tunnel back into the volcano so it doesnt flood?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

With volcanoes it won't rise above its natural z-level unless you've pumped it some how, at least in my experience.

So let's say you have a volcano and the magma is at z-level 10.

You open up a space adjacent to the volcano on Z-level 11.

You channel down some holes for your forges and smelters. These holes are on Z-level 10.

You link those holes and you cut a space adjacent to the magma on Z-level 10 - you will get a warning of Warm Stone, most likely, which is where you want to stop. You don't mine through on Z-level 10.

You dig out one space over on Z-level 11, and you channel it out. I always do it diagonally out of superstition but it doesn't matter. But making a channel from Z-level 11 is safe - the magma won't pour onto your guy.

The magma will flow into your channels after the channel job is complete. Give it enough time to actually fill the 'pipes' and then build your forges, and enjoy the General Products E-Z Magma Force lifestyle.

Some illustrations that may clarify this:

thanks! guy above me i think the answer is right here

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can you flood poor soil floors to improve them too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why wont it let me select individual items within my barrels to trade all of a sudden. with the elves ofc

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why disable aquifers when you can just pick an embark without them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

Getting an elephant as your embark beast of burden is like winning the lottery

why mine just eat all my grass

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mirthless posted:

it's because you can butcher the elephant for like 1600 embark pts worth of food

one elephant will feed your fortress for your first 3 years

seems cruel. my legendary chef turns all my crappy clay crops into masterpieces regardless

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i traded for a giant eagle in a cage. how do i get it out of the cage and what can i do with it. i set it as pet eligible but its still in the cage

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did fungus start growing everywhere because i found a water cavern. is that good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i didn't know they actually had to do anything to make the orders go through

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got one of those headless -1 childrens

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do all the workshops have impassable tiles

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now that fungus started growing everywhere should i like delete my old farms on the silty clay

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmph well that's all water as far as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if youre not also disqualifying that quality from the stockpiles theyre already in then there’s no reason to move them, i think