Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hello dwarf fortress thread, if any of you hang around the dungeon crawl stone soup thread you might have seen my posts about my success in setting up a purely hands-free voice controlled way of playing that game. It's been exciting to delve back into traditional rogue likes after a long hiatus because of issues with my hands, and now I'm curious if I can apply it to other games in order to get some variety.

So now I'm looking at dwarf fortress to see if it's also possible to interface with via voice and make it accessible. Which is why I came here to ask everyone for tips on useful macros in order to do things in a few commands as feasily possible.

In my imagination It all seems fairly feasible, because I imagine I'll be able to tab between dwarves which should streamline things a bit. Meanwhile menus seem easy enough to do with voice commands. The only thing that I see being tricky is designing structures, but I figure with some macros I can design things out of basic predetermined shapes.

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice (or concerns, of course) and it's great to see if still active community around this awesome game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

FurtherReading posted:

One of the critiques of the steam version is that keyboard only control isn't possible right now. It's gotten better and there's a ton you'll be able to do but there's still stuff you need mouse pointer to click on, if that's an obstacle.

The structure stuff is probably the easiest, you can create macros for shapes to mine out and select them using the keyboard. The issue will be mainly in navigating lists + tabs on certain screens. The pre-steam version though can be controlled entirely with just a keyboard, which might be an easier thing to build something like this for.

I'd suggest you reach out to the DFHack devs. They're probably the most knowledgeable dwarf fortress modders out there and their DFHack mod is a great platform to build features like this.

Oh that's interesting, going from a game that you couldn't play with a mouse at all (at least as far as I remember) to one where you need it.

This is good insight, thank you. Especially going the extra mile with the hack devs, I'll definitely do that

Gnoman posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but there's various ways of controlling the mouse pointer with your head - by taping a motion controller to a hat or dedicated devices intended for flight sims, there's even some apps that do it via webcam. Maybe combining this with a couple of foot pedals to act as clickers would help?

Not stupid at all, I've actually been looking into that. My main constraint is My budget; the head tracker that got the most recommendations was an eye-watering 1095 dollars. So maybe in the future I'd be able to do that, but for the moment I think the best option for me is an eye tracker which keeps things in the three digit range lol. So that plus a foot pedal sounds very doable