Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I tried creating a dwarf adventurer. He was trapped, alone, in part of a dwarf mountain home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I genned a world that had an "Age of Slum" and got really confused. Turns out that's just the name of some forest titan.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Big fan of that turtle person sprite

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I have accidentally ended so many forts via water physics

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

My dwarf story is every time I make a fort I inevitably go "I should make a reservoir for my fort" and then will inevitably forget how water mechanics work and flood my entire fort.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that has messed me up the most so far is that I can have the game unpaused while designating stuff. like that's gonna take some getting used to

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Farm plots work like designations now, where you click and drag to draw them

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

So after getting my bearings a little bit on the tutorial fort in the pleasant tutorial land full of pears and persimmons and cherries that largely takes care of the food and booze micromanagement, I was hoping to embark a real fort somewhere a little more ambitious. I see my world has no less than three volcanos, with one having deep soil, multiple metals and a flux layer. However, all these volcanos are volcanic islands. If I actually settled there, am I just never going to have migrants or trade caravans or invasions or whatnot, since there's no connection to the mainland civilizations? Am I gonna have to Dwarf Family Robinson this poo poo?

Yeah boats don't exist currently so if there's no land connection you'll be completely cut off from caravans and migrants. I think you will still get the first two migrant waves because iirc those are hard coded to happen. At least they used to be

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

You could always build display stands to put them on

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure you can't do anything with the bones of sentient creatures

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been offsetting my staircases for years because at some point someone convinced me that it's possible for dwarves to fall down stairs and if you put them all on the same Z axis together then it would be a gigantic fall that would kill them. Is this actually true

I'm fairly certain it is yeah

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah one of the cavern layers should have water

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I've kept restarting forts so I haven't had any truly amazing stories but hopefully this is good enough for a gang tag.

So I decided to try out the Primal mod, which adds dinousars and other extinct animals, and I decided hey lets turn the savagery all the way up. That was a mistake because I'm constantly getting wild animals attacking my dwarves, and they're usually get dispatched no problem. So I build my fort and after the couple of "no migrants showed up this season" I got a wave that brought my population up to around 60. So I play a bit, save and then come back later and when I load the game decides to welcome me back by having some agitated Patagosaurus' show up and instantly kill three of my dwarves. And the rest of my fort decided it would be a great idea to run out out to meet them so they started get massacred. As I was watching my population plummet an Acrocanthosaurus decided to join in the fun and just started punting my dwarves like 10 tiles, killing them instantly. Unfortunately by the point where my population had been cut in half the game crashed so I didn't get the chance to salvage the situation, and when I reloaded my dwarves decided that rather then running at the dinosaurs single file they would wait, group up, and then rush at them. Which worked because they killed the dinosaurs with minimal losses that time.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I'm aware you have to select every dwarf individually now, for some reason

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I accidentally hit a button that turns slope indicators on and I don't know what it was what's the button to turn them off

I dont have the game open so I can't check but I think the button to turn it off is next to the minimap?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I can tell no you dont have to feed it

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah in the op there's a premade file that makes more announcements pause and zoom to the thing in question

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I've run into a bug where merchants only bring me food items. Like it's happened with the dwarf, human, and elf merchants. Not the end of the world but a bit annoying

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Screw pumps automatically purify water, but if that water touches a square that salt water has ever touched it turns into salt water

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm fairly certain coal's not guaranteed to spawn so yeah you're probably gonna be stuck with charcoal until you hit magma

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have worldgen tips for getting proper rivers? I feel like all I ever end up with are brooks and streams

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah alright this embark whips, two rivers meeting at one point while also both being waterfalls. Time to build directly in the open space and hopefully not cause a lot of dwarves to fall to their deaths

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Has to be in its zone designation iirc

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Every time I see the hippoman portrait I smile, it's so good

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I think there might be some plants and animals you can only find in a savage biome but yeah it's more for if you just want a more challenging experience. The risk is the reward.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Dwarves will automatically pick up any eggs from a nestbox unless its in an area they can't reach or they're forbidden. Easiest way to handle it is just set up a pen with some nest boxes in a locked room and just unlock it when you want dwarves to pick up the eggs. Or you could have a second pen that's always accessible just for eggs.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

If I'm not mistaken, animals (including domestic) can be gay or aro/ace. If that's true, then relying on a single dog♂ has a chance to just... not work. When I can fit it in the budget I go for two.

Checking the wiki you're correct, but the odds are only 5% for it being gay or ace.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Good additions all around but the mention of procedurally generated healing magic has got me excited

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Legends Browser works

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Love Toady making the mistake of grabbing someone by the neck and being like "why can't I choke them?" cause you have to grab them by the throat to do that

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

it is coming out April 17th

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The Arena was added to the steam version a while ago though?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They haven't said anything to the contrary so it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Toady posted an update on Bay12, including a list of things not in the beta that are intended for the proper release

quote:

We posted an Adventure mode beta over on Steam. There are lots of good bits to it but some missing bits as well, so we're slowing rolling it out this time, while still letting more people test it out and have some fun. A lot of the Adventure mode experience is there. You can currently, in the released beta, create a party in character generation, visit your old forts, retire, unretire, get NPC companions, take quests, fight monsters with the various melee/wrestling/ranged options, set fires, tell stories, and travel the world. Portraits are available for dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds (minus some clothing variations), animal people (no items), and necromancer experiments (no items). These portraits are in both modes.

So there's fun to be had, but there's quite a bit more to do before we'll do the full launch. Non-exhaustively:

Clean up the big crash issues etc.
Quest log / information screen
Butchering and crafting
Ability use, from necromancy to pet animal to spit
Composing
Motion/attack indicators
Building interactions (levers, doors, etc.)
Wrestle button
Stealth vision arcs
Better UI for stuff like going through hatches over ramps
Some other info like movement speed / encumbrance
Tracking / odor / weather / light / time etc. information
Some travel map stuff like visible armies and zooming and highlights
Minimap / map memory
Trading and bartering (and the town shops being generally a mess)
Assuming false identities
Full personality customization in chargen
Graphics and audio that didn't make it in for the initial beta release
Get Classic conversions for the new buttons etc.
The new stuff: chosen mode with deities, town improvements, dungeon improvements, healing options, and so forth

As we mentioned before, cabin building is a larger interface project, so that'll come with the update after the full launch.