Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

GulMadred posted:

Overall, "settling down in a nice volcano and maybe emerging to slaughter the nearby dwarves" seems like a much more appropriate fate for a demon than "performing diplomacy for a bunch of humans." I decide to simply leave him there. Perhaps he can adopt one of the local Fire Imps as a pet.
Similar story! This fort's using an older version of Genesis. Pillarskulls is a nice wealthy fort nearing a decade old. As long as you don't get drafted you'll live pretty comfortably.

There's all these creepy memorials lining the halls, though.

There's at least two dozen of these.
Early in the fort's history an iron titan (think bronze colossus) named Cometes showed up. At the time we hadn't found any iron or anything harder on the map to fight him with so the drawbridge went up. Cometes parked himself right outside and sat there for the next couple years, tearing up migrant waves, caravans, and the occasional goblin squad. At some point he wrestled a cotton bag away from a thief and started clubbing people's heads in with it. I like to think he was scooping them up in it to eat later.
Eventually I got sick of all the migrants getting slaughtered and assembled the whole military near the main drawbridge to take him on.

Worth noting that the drawbridge is right over a volcano. Also at the time the walls around the outside hadn't been constructed yet.
The plan was to toggle the lever fast enough to open it right out from under the titan but he was big enough that it couldn't open with him on it. There was a pretty messy fight (there's at least 5 slabs for people who went missing that year) but the dwarves eventually forced him off the bridge.

Iron is magma-safe, though, so he's been chilling down there for years. His bag burned up so I can't check it but I'm pretty sure it had at least 30 kills. I'm hoping once the fort dies or is abandoned he'll claw his way up out of there and I can go get killed by him in adventure mode.

Bonus shot of the vampire monarch sealed up in his throne room:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012
Dwarves have sites again! I started off on a floor with nothing but forges but followed the blue !s to a meeting hall!

e: also a reminder NOT to talk to your deity, it still crashes your game and now you'll start out worshiping one so the option is always there!

dead horse fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 8, 2014

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Anybody else have issues with wildlife staying on the map and not leaving? I've had a cluster of raven men hovering out of the range of my archers for about two years now, and it's annoying as poo poo (since no actual wildlife is coming onto the map while they are there).

This is actually the only issue I've had in my fort, I've somehow avoided the tree jumping and baby wave stuff. It seems to only happen with birds. You can move a military dwarf around to them and it'll scare them into moving off the map. Apparently going into the raws and removing their [FLIER] token works too.

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012
A wereass showed up and messed up one of military dwarves pretty bad before going down. The wounded guy got sent to the hospital and the chief medical dwarf arrived to diagnose him just in time for the next full moon so he got torn to shreds. I thought I had him isolated but apparently he got out after turning back to a dwarf and the next full moon he transformed right at my main entrance and killed a dozen dwarves before a mace soldier got a lucky shot on his head. Even though most of my soldiers had been training for the past year and a half most of them were too scared to do anything. People are too busy freaking out over the pile of corpses to bury any of them. Some of the children of the deceased started fighting so I tried to get some justice going but I just keep getting "Captain of the guard cancels Beat Criminal: Experiencing emotional shock" over and over.

e: he got over the shock and beat a tantrum-throwing dwarf to death but now he's horrified by the corpse he just created

dead horse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 14, 2014

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

I think I've got that figured out. You need to make any adjustments to the uniform before forming the squad, changes made to the uniform may not be acknowledged. So if the uniform was set to "metal armor" and I want to change it to a metal mail shirt and a metal breastplate, the only way I've found to get them to make the change reliably is to disband the squad and then reform it with the new uniform.

there's a key (I think U) in the equip screen that lets you assign uniforms to dwarves, and shift-enter will do it for the entire squad. you have to reassign a uniform to "update" the changes to them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012
The last embark I had going had a huge paved road on the map running through an otherwise barren first-layer cavern -- I set up some temples around it and it functioned as a nice escape route for merchants if we were under siege on the surface, though I was hoping I would get antman pilgrims or something.

Re: underground traders I seem to recall this being possible, at least in previous versions, with just a few entity tokens thrown around in the raws. I think if you had a regular trading civilization and put [LAYER_LINKED] on it, they would function like normal except only contact you through the caverns. Some mods had apparently successful underground enemy civs that would ambush and siege as well, though I never saw that in action. Worth experimenting!