Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Fortunately for you the massed vermin material has very low shear strength and high plasticity (although edge sharpness is randomly chosen each worldgen, like with glass), so you're probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

Magma mist is what you should be looking for.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Fine. As lovely and intelligent as FYAD. Not actually "basically fyad". Better?

Daeren posted:

Have you ever actually spent time in FYAD?

CommonTerry posted:

and like 40 people who play Liberal Crime Squad and DF Adventure mode.

Admittedly, Liberal Crime Squad is pretty great.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Splode posted:

What's the easiest way to build a latch in DF? I want the invaders to trigger a pressure plate that closes the door behind them, and can only be opened by a lever the dwarves control.

Minecarts, track rollers, and pressure plates. There's a decent guide to minecart logic on the wiki.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

TildeATH posted:

some kind of arch-conservative

Liberal Crime Squad is a fun game.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

As far as I know migrants are never randomly generated after the first two waves, so your guys must be coming from somewhere in the world. Maybe they've just lived extremely uneventful lives?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

LIberal Crime Squad is hilarious and worth trying out. You basically control your own Symbionese Liberation Army and go around committing liberal acts of violence against The Man, which somehow eventually turns the whole country liberal.

In one of my games my assault-rifle-armed brute squad accumulated way too much heat from gunning down random hicks and repeatedly breaking into the CEO's compound. If your high-heat guys stay in one hideout for too long the police will raid you so you have to shuffle them around regularly, but if they've committed a really extraordinary number of violent crimes the heat can't cool down fast enough and just keeps increasing, which guarantees a police raid.

The solution, of course, was to preempt the police by visiting the police station every week and gunning down everyone inside, forcing it to shut down for the following week.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

RedTonic posted:

Isn't that basically the same as making a magma piston?

There's also a different device that exploits the weird things that happen when cave-ins fall into pools of fluid to create a combination automatic obsidian dropper and pump-free magma transporter. You basically end up with a magma fountain that you can dip into many levels above its origin.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Are you guys joking when you said that LCS has katanas and tanks?

I never found those.

Until it was fixed a viable approach was to seduce the tanks.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Excelzior posted:

one step closer to literal dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

Isaac McNewton interrupted rest : Discovered gravity

The spinning +red apple+ collides with the Dwarf Philosopher's head, breaking the skull's bone and bruising the brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nettles Coterie posted:

Ah, the ol' bagma trick...

"Urist, you rat!"